As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Pittsburgh At Cleveland? There Is No Dog.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    To be fair, Manning is performing badly on the field, but he's not the only problem with the offense. It's cold logic, but he might be thinking it's better to have Manning take hits instead of the rookie for this season.

The rookie who is supposed to be the future. If they're waiting for a better OL then he will never get to play.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I'm just looking at fantasy, but am super confused by the time on these games. Seattle-Cinci went to OT and finished, and like Det-Ari and Dal/NYG were still in the 3rd quarter.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Well Arizona is theoretically running a form of the Air Raid now, so that's a lot of incomplete passes stopping the clock!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Well Arizona is theoretically running a form of the Air Raid now, so that's a lot of incomplete passes stopping the clock!

Is the "air raid" part the entire Arizona fanbase going "Aaaaaaawwww man!".

Sure it's early, but not showing much for all the hype from the Arizona HC/QB.

EDIT: And of course, Murray to Johnson, in garbage time.

Also, another pick 6 by the 49ers. Jameis is killing that team.

MorganV on
  • Options
    Lions up by 8, doing EVERYTHING they can to piss away a victory.

But I think Arizona are up to the challenge of fucking that up too.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Is the "air raid" part the entire Arizona fanbase going "Aaaaaaawwww man!".

Sure it's early, but not showing much for all the hype from the Arizona HC/QB.

EDIT: And of course, Murray to Johnson, in garbage time.

Also, another pick 6 by the 49ers. Jameis is killing that team.

I still have no idea why a coach who couldn't win in college has so much hype for his NFL debut. Also the Air Raid offense is at its best against teams that don't face that sort of offense very often, but it tends to get shut down hard by teams that are prepared for it. Since a lot of the Air Raid concepts have migrated to the pro game already, a pure implementation (and I don't know if they are doing a pure implementation or not) is very unlikely to take anybody by surprise.

Think of the Air Raid kind of like the Triple Option, as it is a way to do something different that your opponent isn't prepared for in any real way and is used to make up some of the talent gap in the college ranks. NFL offenses have already incorporated a lot of the useful concepts from the Air Raid in particular (and some of the Triple Option stuff too like misdirection and run/pass option plays and such) and are therefore a lot more prepared than a college offense. Not to mention a lot of the players on defense have already played against the Air Raid style offense in college.

Now it is still week 1, so Arizona could certainly do a lot better going forward. I just never understood the hype generated by hiring a coach that got fired from Texas Tech for not winning enough.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    I hate this fucking team

• Options
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    I hate this fucking team

Please clarify. :)

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I hate this fucking team

Root for them ironically like a sane person does.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    I may not give a fuck who wins this game.

But seeing Larry Fitz showcase is the only reason I'm still awake.

• Options
    Still.... would this game fucking end already?

• Options
    Tie game, cool.....

Stupid Lions

• Options
    Tie game, cool.....

Stupid Lions

Barely...

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Kicking myself for not starting Watkins this week in fantasy. 37 points...

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Lions up by 8, doing EVERYTHING they can to piss away a victory.

But I think Arizona are up to the challenge of fucking that up too.

This post is great in hindsight. You were right twice!

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

The detroit free press is taking it well.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

What does the Nihilist Arby's twitter have to say?

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

Should we... should we call someone?

I feel like someone needs to check on someone else

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    It's okay, they're just speaking Lions

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

What does the Nihilist Arby's twitter have to say?

No posts today, but there last one seems to work...

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I hope the Steelers play this badly next week!

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Man miami, I knew wed be bad this season, but that was just painful to watch.. and as a fan I did. I dI'd decide to cook and do some things around the house while watching. Didn't miss anything. Sigh long season ahead.

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    Man miami, I knew wed be bad this season, but that was just painful to watch.. and as a fan I did. I dI'd decide to cook and do some things around the house while watching. Didn't miss anything. Sigh long season ahead.

Gets worse.

Apparently there are reports that several players are already looking to get traded out of Miami after yesterday's performance. That they look at the efforts by management and the coaching staff, and feel that it'll be detrimental to their future value if they stay.

• Options
    Once owners and management figured out they didn't have to put competitive teams on the field and still make an assload of money, then we all got screwed.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I’m not saying that’s not true, but there have been some obvious tanks in the recent past where this wasn’t as widely reported.

Maybe it was trading Tunsil and Stills and naming Fitz the starter over Rosen that were far more blatant than past bad teams?

Hell, at least the 0-16 Browns threw a rookie QB out there every game just to see if there was something there...

• Options
    Well, there are seven other divisions in the NFL. Plus the two wild card spots. They have a better chance of being traded to a playoff team than reaching .500 staying in Miami.

• Options
    Well, there are seven other divisions in the NFL. Plus the two wild card spots. They have a better chance of being traded to a playoff team than reaching .500 staying in Miami.

I was gonna say "Well, six. Patriots are their own division."

And then I remembered which division the Dolphins played in, and that it's been this kind of general incompetence by the other three teams in their division that has made it that way.

I mean, can you see any real signs of movement that even if the Pats decline 20% when Brady retires, that any of these other three have any chance with their frint office or coaching, that they'll challenge, let alone supercede the Pats?

Fucking infuriating.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Brady isn't the keystone, Belichick is.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Well, there’s always next week.

[checks schedule]

Well, there’s always week three.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    Brady isn't the keystone, Belichick is.

Oh, I don't disagree. But he's still a great QB (just not GOAT IMO).

Hence why I think there could be a dropoff (unles Belichik lucks/scums his way into another), but it won't be a terminal one, like will happen when Ben or Aaron retire.

Which was the point I was trying to make. Which of the other three dumpsterfires in the division stand a chance as long as Belichick wants to keep coaching? Jets look like they have the faintest possibility, but I don't trust them to build a team capable of making Darnold great (assuming he can be).

• Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

[checks schedule]

The only wins I was even considering was week 5 vs Redskins, week 7 vs Steelers, and maybe split with Jets. Any other win I'll be highly surprised.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »

[checks schedule]

Pats at home in Week 2 is actually one of their highest chances for a W:
    Early season Pats are (more often lately) still tuning and vulnerable to “is this the end of the dynasty” weeks
    Brady is 7-10 in Miami
    Brady is usually bad in heat (Jacksonville last year in Week 2 I believe)

Like their chances are still low as hell, but maybe still better than most other weeks

• Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    I didn't expect Cincinnati to win in Seattle, I was just hoping they would be competitive. It looks like they have a chance of not sucking this year.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Texans are so Lions

• Options
    From what I can tell, a CFL game broke out in the last 45 seconds

• Options
    DunderDunder Registered User regular
    Won in both my leagues this week, combined winning margin was 1.64 points.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    sometimes your fantasy team is so dominant that you wonder why fantasy football even exists

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    sometimes your fantasy team is so dominant that you wonder why fantasy football even exists

And sometimes it's completely not, and you wonder the same thing?

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Apparently I still have the Yahoo fantasy app on my phone, somehow it is still logged in, and it told me I won my fear & loathing game?

Huh

Veevee on
  • Options
    Veevee wrote: »
    Apparently I still have the Yahoo fantasy app on my phone, somehow it is still logged in, and it told me I won my fear & loathing game?

Huh
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    sometimes your fantasy team is so dominant that you wonder if fantasy football even exists