As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    The Mac Pro stuff is weird because it highlights commercial-grade tech at what tends to be more of a consumer event.

Disney does not care about $1000 stands.

I thought it made a lot of sense to show it at WWDC. It has enough proprietary features that they need to generate interest among developers to support it. Also, lots of developers will probably buy it just because it'll be the fastest Mac available. Xcode is a CPU hog.

And yeah, the stand is a piece of desk jewelry. It's probably CNC milled out of a single chunk of aluminum, and it has a Jony Ive custom-designed miracle hinge. It's undoubtedly beautiful, but it seems like the solid gold Apple watch: a product that Sir Jony had fun designing but was never meant to sell in huge quantities. I bet it kicks off renaissance in the third-party VESA mount market, though.

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    So spending a solid week of trying out the new IPadOS on my 12.9 iPad Pro 2018 and its like a whole new machine. Makes this device a legitimate alternative for my laptop finally. It’s only beta right now but can see the huge potential.

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    So spending a solid week of trying out the new IPadOS on my 12.9 iPad Pro 2018 and its like a whole new machine. Makes this device a legitimate alternative for my laptop finally. It’s only beta right now but can see the huge potential.

How’s the mouse accessibility? I love my Pro with the keyboard, but editing long sections of text on it is kind of a nightmare with a pure touch interface.

How’s the mouse accessibility? I love my Pro with the keyboard, but editing long sections of text on it is kind of a nightmare with a pure touch interface.

The gesture controls for editing text are good now and have use for long text pieces. I was able to edit huge amounts of text with ease and load files/file downloads simply too.

The “mouse support” is still limited and acts as a touch screen pointer rather than true mouse support so no right /left click etc. So I wouldn’t wholly rely on it working as you would expect. Almost think of it like old school Mac OS.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2019

The gesture controls for editing text are good now and have use for long text pieces. I was able to edit huge amounts of text with ease and load files/file downloads simply too.

The “mouse support” is still limited and acts as a touch screen pointer rather than true mouse support so no right /left click etc. So I wouldn’t wholly rely on it working as you would expect. Almost think of it like old school Mac OS.

yeah, I have a logitech mouse that is bluetooth and can pair with three devices, so I have my desk machine at work, my laptop, and now an iPad running iPadOS paired with it.

At the moment it feels more like a novelty outside of an accessibility context (lots of assistive devices that work like mice, and having a visual indicator on screen of where the cursor is is great for that).

Like Ziggy said, the gestures are much better, and the multitasking is so superior from the last iteration that its not even remotely comparable.

Also, the web browser is both a great and a terrible change. Now that it is broadcasting as the desktop browser you get the desktop site (and desktop video controls from whatever site you are on) all the time. For things like google apps it is a major upgrade, but for video sites it feels like a step back in terms of user friendliness. Also, desktopstyle ads, where ads can be animated, refresh on page, etc.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Hmm, this is the second time my iPhone 8 stopped doing wireless charging until I restarted it.

syndalis wrote: »

yeah, I have a logitech mouse that is bluetooth and can pair with three devices, so I have my desk machine at work, my laptop, and now an iPad running iPadOS paired with it.

At the moment it feels more like a novelty outside of an accessibility context (lots of assistive devices that work like mice, and having a visual indicator on screen of where the cursor is is great for that).

Like Ziggy said, the gestures are much better, and the multitasking is so superior from the last iteration that its not even remotely comparable.

Also, the web browser is both a great and a terrible change. Now that it is broadcasting as the desktop browser you get the desktop site (and desktop video controls from whatever site you are on) all the time. For things like google apps it is a major upgrade, but for video sites it feels like a step back in terms of user friendliness. Also, desktopstyle ads, where ads can be animated, refresh on page, etc.

Yeah the browser is really the only thing that needs work. Ideally something that can easily switch between desktop and mobile at the users wish without fuss. I’m hoping for final release to have improved this.

The side multitask app thing is an absolute dream to use though. It’s so simple I cant think why Apple haven’t thought of this years ago.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Is there a list of all the new gestures and features somewhere? I’m in the beta as well but I really don’t feel like I’m putting it through it’s paces properly.

Also, you can switch to mobile view on any tab; just tap the left hand end of the address bar for a bunch of options.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Is there a list of all the new gestures and features somewhere? I’m in the beta as well but I really don’t feel like I’m putting it through it’s paces properly.

Also, you can switch to mobile view on any tab; just tap the left hand end of the address bar for a bunch of options.
    There is also a new 2-finger gestures when looking at item lists (like emails and notes). Without changing mode, simply drag 2 fingers up or down a list of items, and iPadOS will switch into the select/edit mode and allow you to quickly select multiple items. This makes selecting longs lists of notes or emails fast and easy.

A second gesture that uses 2 fingers is drag and drop between apps. It’s not new in iPadOS 13, but it is one of the more powerful gestures in the system that makes the iPad great. To use drag and drop, simply select some text, choose an image, or press and hold for a moment on almost any piece of content in the system. From there, you’ll see the item lift off the app.

Once that is in hand, using another finger (or your other hand) swipe or tap into another app, and drop the item in your first hand where you want the content to go. This could be useful for dropping an image into an email, or taking something from a note and dropping it into Safari.

Copy-Cut-Paste also got a gesture overhaul in iPadOS, allowing you to use a 3-finger-pinch to copy, a second 3-finger-pinch to cut, and a 3-finger-drop (spreading your fingers) to paste. During the keynote demo, this seemed very buggy, but in our testing, it’s actually bee reasonably reliable.

Another gesture that you can do with 3 fingers is undo/redo. By swiping 3 fingers across the screen to the left or right, you can undo or redo (respectively) the previous action. This makes it faster and less awkward than shaking your device to undo a type-o or the dreaded accidental-over-delete.

The browser changes exist but don't function that fluidly. I know that changing between some can crash the app too.

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    This week I became eligible for an upgrade to my work phone. I currently have an iPhone 7, and could upgrade to an 8 Plus. I haven't really been following development so I'm out of the loop as far as what's coming out next. Is there anything cool on the near horizon I should wait for, or should I just go ahead and do the upgrade now?

edited July 2019
    This week I became eligible for an upgrade to my work phone. I currently have an iPhone 7, and could upgrade to an 8 Plus. I haven't really been following development so I'm out of the loop as far as what's coming out next. Is there anything cool on the near horizon I should wait for, or should I just go ahead and do the upgrade now?

If you can, I’d recommend holding off for a month or so - the new models should show up at the beginning of September and be available by the end of September. Worst case you save a hundred bucks or so.

Most reliable rumors I’ve seen are 1) another lens for the rear camera and an improved Face ID for the front 2) possibly faster WiFi and LTE chips, but not 5G, 3) possibly two-way wireless charging to let you charge smaller devices by stacking them on your phone 4) probably no more 3D Touch.

Nothing too shocking, but a few nice features to go with a guaranteed improved processor if you wait.

OneAngryPossum on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    This year's iPhones will have:
    1) Intel's final LTE modem (XMM7660). Does up to 7xCA instead of 5xCA from last year. Practical effect of this is basically nothing on real-world networks, but in a lab it lets you get more speed.
    1a) Probably support for the new Wi-fi spec, but you won't notice this much until a few years from now
    1b) The 2020 iPhones will have Qualcomm 5G modems. Apple will almost certainly eventually make their own a few years after they buy Intel's 5G modem team.

2) A new A13 SoC. It will be faster than last year's chip, amount TBD.

3) More cameras. I would wager heavily that iOS 13 will have some more computational photography methods to keep up with Samsung/Google/Huawei low-light modes. These will probably only work on the newer (A12+) chips with more NN acceleration.

4) Maybe a 2nd-gen FaceID system that is faster but keeps the notch. The 2020 iPhones will probably switch to an in-screen fingerprint reader or a 3rd-gen FaceID that hides under the display.

5) 3D Touch is gone

6) The included charger in the box may be upgraded to 15W USB-C to allow for fast-charging (50% in 30min). This already works on existing models, but you have to buy upgraded cables and chargers separately.

@Drake Chambers , just a heads up - next iPhone reveals are coming up on September 10, if you haven’t upgraded yet.

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular

@Drake Chambers , just a heads up - next iPhone reveals are coming up on September 10, if you haven’t upgraded yet.

Awesome, I appreciate the heads-up! It might be a little while before my agency jumps up to the next model but probably not too long since I think it's all just a contract through the carrier anyway.

I'll pay attention to what's new though, thanks!

So my wife's iPhone SE is dying and we're trying to limp it along until the new ones are out in a few weeks.

Are Apple.com pre-orders any less stressful than they were 3 years ago?

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    So my wife's iPhone SE is dying and we're trying to limp it along until the new ones are out in a few weeks.

If you want it day one, your absolute best bet is to use the apple store app on an iOS device, or (oddly enough) the apps from your cellphone company, like myat&t.

But its still stressfull - orders start at midnight west coast time (3am east coast), and supplies are limitied.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Cool, thanks.

• KPCKPC Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

Use the Apple Store app, and when the listing for the new iPhones go up, put it into your shopping cart and you’ll be ready on the day when pre-orders are open.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    From experience, if you use the Apple Store app, and don't want either a top-end Plus model or the cheapest baseline, you'll probably be okay. Something like "Standard Xs with a memory upgrade" tends to stick around a little longer.

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Not sure if any of you have had this issue, but sometimes if I'm listening to Podcasts with BT earbuds and stop the podcast with the earbud controls it will start Music instead of stopping the podcast and turning off all sound. This happened with my AirPods and is happening with my Sennheiser earbuds.

Has anyone else had this happen? Does anyone know of how to stop it? I can only seem to stop it by restarting my phone, but it invariably returns after a day or two.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    Not sure if any of you have had this issue, but sometimes if I'm listening to Podcasts with BT earbuds and stop the podcast with the earbud controls it will start Music instead of stopping the podcast and turning off all sound. This happened with my AirPods and is happening with my Sennheiser earbuds.

Has anyone else had this happen? Does anyone know of how to stop it? I can only seem to stop it by restarting my phone, but it invariably returns after a day or two.

I’ve had this problem, but not a clue what causes it - it’s been more rare lately.

Have you tried forgetting the earbuds from your Bluetooth connections and then re-pairing? That’s solved some other weird quirks I’ve had in the past.

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Yeah, I’ve done that once or twice, but not in relation to the bug or whatever the fuck it is.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    edited September 2019
    Apple’s iPhone event is kicking off. Last minute rumors seem to be suggesting a fairly incremental improvement. I feel like Apple tends to emphasize camera upgrades when everything else is relatively static, so might make for one of the more boring presentations.

That said, I’m curious about the final shape of the next software update, and there’s a possibility of a better Tile competitor showing up - I assume it will be prohibitively expensive, but I’d like to know what that looks like.

Edit: Somehow Konami is the chosen representative to lead the conversation on the App Store Arcade subscription, which... what? Does it come with a Japanese health club membership?

Apparently announcing a new version of Frogger and leaving. That this is their lead demo is not super promising.

Edit edit: Capcom up now. Feeling like a mobile-focused mini-E3. Game is some kind of underwater survival thing, looks kind of neat.

Annapurna talking a cool looking rhythm game. Maybe they’re doing a ramp-up on the excitement here.

Edit x 3: Arcade launches 9/19 at $4.99 a month. Cheap enough I’ll probably check it out. Actually, there’s a free one month trial, so definitely. Shared across family account.

Apple TV subscription also $4.99 a month, at least for now. Launches 11/1, free year subscription if you buy an iPhone, iPad, or Mac.

iPad talk starting, cheaper iPad available for $329, added smart connector for keyboards, looks like a nice but incremental upgrade.

OneAngryPossum on
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Well I’ll probably get the new iPad. Was hoping for a new refresh.

edited September 2019
    Apple Watch updates - newest will have an always on display. Not clear if that’s locked to one face yet. Hard to imagine they’ve bumped the battery power enough to compensate for leaving it on throughout the day. (Seems like they have, and this applies to all faces. Screen can adjust its refresh rate.)

But the claim is still an 18-hour battery life. Kind of an impressive improvement depending on the specifics. I imagine people would really prefer a longer life, but the death of the annoying Apple Watch wrist flick would be pleasant too.

GPS model is $399, Cellular is $499. Series 3 is dropped to $199 - might have to think about that, I’ve got the second oldest iteration and it’s pretty damn clunky.

Edit: iPhone news. XR successor is iPhone 11, getting an extra camera and some fairy pretty new colors.

I am not going to be helpful in describing camera improvements.

Wide-angle lens looks to take big pretty pictures, but these pictures always look pretty.

Somehow all these camera improvements, which seem legitimately cool (if playing catch-up with competitors), will have no impact on people shooting vertical video.

Cost $699, all the basic incremental upgrades: battery life, WiFi 6 now, dust and water resistance, faster CPU and GPU.

Edit edit: Pro up now, three cameras as predicted. Oleophobic display is neat. Fast charger in box and pretty huge battery life increase: 4 hours over XS, 5 over XS Max.

11 Pro starts at $999, 11 Pro Max at $1099. No word on base level storage. As a note, I’ve been very happy with my XR.

No mention of using the phone itself as a wireless charger, which had been the biggest rumored new feature (aside from the camera).

OneAngryPossum on
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Open an apple store in my dying town, you cowards!

Edit: RIP

davidsdurions on
    Seems like that’s it. Kind of a disappointing lack of exciting new things, but what was there seems nice enough.

Hopefully they pair next year’s 5G version with some more meaningful changes. Still excited for the new iOS update.

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Can’t believe they’re sticking with the ugly fucking screen notch.

It is a nice little spot for the clock and status indicators but it really needs to get out of my way on videos and full screen games.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

It is a nice little spot for the clock and status indicators but it really needs to get out of my way on videos and full screen games.

There's literally an API that does, essentially, "Hey keep me out of the way of the notch automatically". (Also does the swipable bit at the bottom, too.)

Problem is, you actually need to use it...

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Im certainly interested in the new cheap ipad paired with the new OS.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Even with the new ordering time, I just ended up going through my carrier anyway. Hopefully my wife doesn't get too mad about the Home button going away.

I got the green pro max at 256GB. Went through my carrier also, and will be getting my phone in a week, delivered to my office.

I also went ahead and ordered a series 5 watch as well. Always on screen was the upgrade that made all the difference.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    I think the standard iPhone 11 look like better options right now than the Pro models. This is giving my deja vu when I got the 5C instead of the 5S all those years back.

Decided it was time for an Apple Watch.

Echo wrote: »

I have found my watch to a be completely and utterly unnecessary accessory that I would replace in a moment if it was broken.

Somehow both completely superfluous and I use it regularly throughout every day.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

I have found my watch to a be completely and utterly unnecessary accessory that I would replace in a moment if it was broken.

Somehow both completely superfluous and I use it regularly throughout every day.

Agree 100%. I often wonder if I really need mine at all, but when my previous one stopped working, I could not replace it fast enough.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Look at it this way; a mechanical watch with nine complications is a minimum of a hundred grand, never mind unlimited configurable alarms and the ability to swap watch faces. And a portable ecg is a couple hundred on top.

I just wish they could find the space to put in a kinetic charger…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Yeah, I haven't used a watch since fifth grade or something. I can't say I have any use case for one. Yet.

I would get an Apple Watch in a heartbeat and I have had a series 2 and 4 previously. However I got an expensive mechanical watch for my 30th and feel that should be my watch for daily use. The series 5 is super tempting though..