As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trump Cabinet Shakeup

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    We need to find some ridiculous rules lawyers to patch up our fucking government. I don't even know if it is possible to write out rules when one of two branches might just end up being actively hostile to doing anything. If the President isn't in the hands of a wanna be dictator the Senate is off refusing to confirm anybody. Not sure how to fix either without assuming a good faith actor somewhere in the system.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    We need to find some ridiculous rules lawyers to patch up our fucking government. I don't even know if it is possible to write out rules when one of two branches might just end up being actively hostile to doing anything. If the President isn't in the hands of a wanna be dictator the Senate is off refusing to confirm anybody. Not sure how to fix either without assuming a good faith actor somewhere in the system.

We basically just have to hope that they haven't fucked voting systems enough that we can't eke out a Senate majority and the presidency in 2020, and then apply every pressure we can to get that majority to push some major reforms.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The Brookings Institute has the Trump Administration at a 75% turnover rate for senior positions.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    It's actually gotten to the point where I can't even count how many people have been fired or resigned from the whitehouse. Like, I have a link here that tells me the names and positions of everyone who has left:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Trump_administration_dismissals_and_resignations
    But the issue is that it doesn't actually state flat numbers so you have to manually count them; I had 187 that are gone from all of the departments that weren't the office of the president and I could probably bring it up to an easy 350 if I could keep count of the number of people who left the executive since trump came into power.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I was just about to quote you from the Foreign Policy thread Gaddez. That's an absurd amount of revolving doors.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Like it's insane from a simple efficiency standpoint because with leadership changing on such a routine basis it's functionally impossible to get anything done.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Like it's insane from a simple efficiency standpoint because with leadership changing on such a routine basis it's functionally impossible to get anything done.

I really hope they get nothing done because everything they want to do is vile.

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    When I saw the news that Bolton was fired, I figure "Oh Bolton's insane, I bet he finally got crazy enough about wanting to attack Iran that even Trump had had enough"

But nope, Trump's still the craziest one.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    LOL

uYPxS1H.png

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Price of oil instantly fell when Bolton was fired.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/10/investing/john-bolton-oil-prices/index.html

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

Ya I didn't understand this. The markets were that scared we were going to attack the middle east under Bolton?

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

Ya I didn't understand this. The markets were that scared we were going to attack the middle east under Bolton?

Yes.

Kicking Iran's ass has been his primary policy goal since the 80's.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    So looks like if there is any fallout that results in the sacking of another shitty Trump appointee over the whole Dorain thing, it might be Wilbur Ross. For those that haven't followed this shit show. Long story short, someone threatened to fire anyone that dared to refute little Trump's bullshit and hurt his fragile little ego by pointing out that he was fucking wrong. I want to say that threat probably does violate a law, given that the federal government doesn't work on the bullshit that is "right to fire because the boss is petty or butthurt." Given that what Trump did was illegal, it's probably not a good idea to then threaten to sack government officials for making any attempts to correct the record and make the public aware that something wasn't their product and that it's false information.

We'll see, but Trump tends to throw people under the bus to protect his fragile little ego and this might be it for Ross. Not to mention, I don't think this is a can of worm the GOP wants to open. Namely, I don't see their base being receptive to the idea that the boss gets to threaten to fire or fire people because they pointed out that the boss was wrong. Pretty sure that nonsense is up there with gerrymandering, where the GOP base is very much in agreement with the democratic base, as in fuck that noise.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    So looks like if there is any fallout that results in the sacking of another shitty Trump appointee over the whole Dorain thing, it might be Wilbur Ross. For those that haven't followed this shit show. Long story short, someone threatened to fire anyone that dared to refute little Trump's bullshit and hurt his fragile little ego by pointing out that he was fucking wrong. I want to say that threat probably does violate a law, given that the federal government doesn't work on the bullshit that is "right to fire because the boss is petty or butthurt." Given that what Trump did was illegal, it's probably not a good idea to then threaten to sack government officials for making any attempts to correct the record and make the public aware that something wasn't their product and that it's false information.

We'll see, but Trump tends to throw people under the bus to protect his fragile little ego and this might be it for Ross. Not to mention, I don't think this is a can of worm the GOP wants to open. Namely, I don't see their base being receptive to the idea that the boss gets to threaten to fire or fire people because they pointed out that the boss was wrong. Pretty sure that nonsense is up there with gerrymandering, where the GOP base is very much in agreement with the democratic base, as in fuck that noise.

what? the GOP base loves them some gerrymandering because it's usually in their favor (literally every time except in Maryland if memory serves) and I guarantee they're fine with the boss firing anyone for any reason because it'd be trump doing the firing (via tweet). That all changes, of course, when/if a democrat is the one doing it.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I found it telling that nobody at NOAA wanted their name on that statement defending Trump. Even the Comms Director of NOAA, a known Trump flunkie, didn't put her name on the thing.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Negative, not to derail the thread but no, gerrymandering is one of those things that the GOP base actually despise, even if it's fucking over liberals. Likely for the same reasons, that could result in bad times for Ross. On some level most of the GOP base, which aren't wealthy assholes or small business owners, get that their people in elected office are assholes and that you shouldn't let them entrench themselves because they are likely to fuck you over, once they don't need you anymore. In Ross case, it's more a case of the GOP probably not wanting to argue that the boss should be allowed to shit can competent employees for daring to point out that the boss was wrong, probably because we've had cases where that happened and it was because the boss got called out for not following proper safety guidelines and then a bunch of people either died and/or were maimed.

We'll see where things go, but I don't see the Dorain shit show going anywhere, but I do see Ross's name showing up more often.

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »

Yes.

Kicking Iran's ass has been his primary policy goal since the 80's.

Also, his exit slightly increases the chances Iran gets some sort of sanction relief which would increase the global supply of oil

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Smurph wrote: »
    When I saw the news that Bolton was fired, I figure "Oh Bolton's insane, I bet he finally got crazy enough about wanting to attack Iran that even Trump had had enough"

But nope, Trump's still the craziest one.

I get the impression Trump loves talking tough on Iran like all thoughtless Republicans but isn't a real hawk like Bolton. He knows well enough the concept of increasing military action in the Middle East is wildly unpopular which is why he pretends he was against the Iraq war.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    What was Bolton's 'job'? I forget.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    What was Bolton's 'job'? I forget.

National Security Adviser.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    So, in less national and financial destabilizing news, America has a new UN Ambassador.

"Confirmed, 56-38: Executive Calendar #403 Kelly Craft to be Representative of the U.S. to the Sessions of the General Assembly of the United Nations during her tenure of service as Representative of the U.S. to the United Nations"
    - SenateCloakroom is the twitter feed of the US Senate Cloakroom, which has a twitter feed for some reason.

Anyways, Kelly Craft is the former ambassador to Canada, most known for that role for NOT BEING IN CANADA.

Votes were mostly along party lines, with two R's not voting, Burr (R-NC) and Isakson (R-GA), and five Dems voting in favor. Both New Hampshire Senators and Murphy of Connecticut (which is weird, as she's not a NorthEasterner), Sinema (AZ) and Manchin (of fucking course).

The important thing though, is that she's was a climate skeptic, but has since walked that back, saying “Let there be no doubt: I take this matter seriously, and if confirmed, I will be an advocate for all countries to do their part in addressing climate change,”

But, because she's married to a coal magnate, "Craft also agreed to recuse herself from any UN discussions involving climate change and coal, given her family’s connections to the industry.".

It's fucking farcical at this point.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Back to Bolton, he's apparently texting multiple reporters (Acosta tweeted he got one too), that he didn't get fired, he resigned. But that's news, Trump probably wouldn't find out, or would be able to dismiss it as fake sources again.

But the fun one, is also tweeted Brian Kilmeade, who was on air at the time on Outnumbered (which is such an on the nose name for the show), reading Bolton's tweet disputing the firing.

"BOLTON IS TEXTING FOX HOSTS WHO ARE ON AIR TO DISPUTE TRUMP'S ACCOUNT OF HIS FIRING
    Kilmeade: "John Bolton just texted me, just now, he's watching. He said, 'let's be clear, I resigned.'" "
    - Lis Power is a sports reporter, but it's a clip of Kilmeade on the show.

Harris Faulkner goes pretty much "Sour grapes against our beloved leader" at the end.

Regardless, because it's on FOX, Trump will see it.

Where's my popcorn?

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Harris Faulkner goes pretty much "Sour grapes against our beloved leader" at the end.

Yeah, she kills that line of discussion as fast as possible. You really gotta love that Kilmeade is actually dumb enough to announce that on live TV. You can hear the collective air go out of the room as they all realize he just called Trump a liar on a show Trump is probably watching.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Why does Bolton care if he resigned under pressure or got fired? It's all the same thing in the end.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Why does Bolton care if he resigned under pressure or got fired? It's all the same thing in the end.

Ego?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Bolton is a being of 100% toxic masculinity so

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    "You can't fire me I quit" is a cliche for a reason.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    And Trump going "nuh uh, I fired you first! ... Mike, fire this guy for me" is rapidly becoming one.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I didn’t get the “Outnumbered” thing until I watched the video in the tweet.

That is the most disgusting thing I’ve witnessed all day. So a typical Fox show.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

That is the most disgusting thing I’ve witnessed all day. So a typical Fox show.

Ever notice all women on the network never wear pants?

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    It both saddens and angers me that there are plenty of otherwise decent people having their minds poisoned with this trash.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    If it's like Bolton says, and he tendered his resignation last night, but was told to hold off so they could ambush him with a twitter firing the next day; well I'd be reaching out to the press to call the bastards out too.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Bonfiring of the vanities

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options

Yeah trump's goals and those of his direct apointees are shit, but the issue here is that theres a lot of basic maintenance that simply can't happen because people are being fired and hired all over the place all the god damn time and in some cases the people who have been fired were actually trying to do good work; 46 of those were attournies whose only fault was that they were appointed by obama and one of those was Preet bahara, a guy who specialized in fraud investigations in New york and had greenlighted an fbi raid on trump tower in 2013.

Not everyone that's gotten canned was a monster.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Ever notice all women on the network never wear pants?

The women in Fox News would be a thread unto itself.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

Yeah trump's goals and those of his direct apointees are shit, but the issue here is that theres a lot of basic maintenance that simply can't happen because people are being fired and hired all over the place all the god damn time and in some cases the people who have been fired were actually trying to do good work; 46 of those were attournies whose only fault was that they were appointed by obama and one of those was Preet bahara, a guy who specialized in fraud investigations in New york and had greenlighted an fbi raid on trump tower in 2013.

Not everyone that's gotten canned was a monster.

US Attornies always leave when there's a new administration. Nothing nefarious or scummy about it.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    The important thing though, is that she's was a climate skeptic, but has since walked that back, saying “Let there be no doubt: I take this matter seriously, and if confirmed, I will be an advocate for all countries to do their part in addressing climate change,”

That statement isn't walking back climate change skepticism, it is confirming the skepticism. Saying "If you can prove it, I will believe" when it has already been proven is saying you do not believe.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

That statement isn't walking back climate change skepticism, it is confirming the skepticism. Saying "If you can prove it, I will believe" when it has already been proven is saying you do not believe.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

I believe that "if confirmed" is referencing her Senate confirmation, not if climate change is confirmed.

"...I take this matter seriously, and if [I am] confirmed [as UN Ambassador], I will be an advocate for all countries..."

This discussion has been closed.