As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Captain [MARVEL] Vs. The Evil Avengers

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Apparently Donny Cates' GotG run is ending with #12?

That....sucks? They are billing it as the END TO HIS COSMIC EPIC and boy does it not feel like that at all. Its a weird place where he has actually had a decent run of cosmic books (Thanos, Silver Surfer Black, GotG, Death of the Inhumans, Cosmic Ghost Rider) but once he got GotG they billed it like he was going to have a lengthy run that brought all these threads together and was a proper definitive take on the book after it was stuck under Bendis for 7 years.

12 issues is

Not that
    Wait, Bendis has been doing GotG for seven years?!

*looks at calendar* What year is it?? Oh my god I had a pot on the stove I gotta gooooooo.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I am reading Avengers Annual #10 for the Rogue appearance and oh christ I am not mentally prepared for these accents

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Apparently Donny Cates' GotG run is ending with #12?

That....sucks? They are billing it as the END TO HIS COSMIC EPIC and boy does it not feel like that at all. Its a weird place where he has actually had a decent run of cosmic books (Thanos, Silver Surfer Black, GotG, Death of the Inhumans, Cosmic Ghost Rider) but once he got GotG they billed it like he was going to have a lengthy run that brought all these threads together and was a proper definitive take on the book after it was stuck under Bendis for 7 years.

12 issues is

Not that
    Wait, Bendis has been doing GotG for seven years?!

*looks at calendar* What year is it?? Oh my god I had a pot on the stove I gotta gooooooo.

Bendis absolutely did not do Guardians for seven years. He wrote them from 2013 to 2017. Gerry Duggan wrote them from 2017 to 2018.

I still say Duggan's run is very underrated. It really found a good balance between DnA and the MCU/Bendis characterizations.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    I honestly completely forgot about Duggan's run because of how completely derailed it got with events

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I honestly completely forgot about Duggan's run because of how completely derailed it got with events

Ya Marvel does this a lot and it's tiring.

you'll get a writer you like announced on a title you like, then issue #2 is "Part 7 of 42" in the latest mega event.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options

Ya Marvel does this a lot and it's tiring.

you'll get a writer you like announced on a title you like, then issue #2 is "Part 7 of 42" in the latest mega event.
    Oh no Duggan got it even worse than that

It wasn't tie-ins, the books storylines got rushed and then it was cancelled to lead into a pair of events

Like the first issue of Infinity Countdown was basically UH SHIT LETS WRAP UP ALL THOSE DANGLING GOTG PLOT THREADS REAL QUICK

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Also man, I am the worst for not finding the new West Coast Avengers before it was already cancelled, I need soooo much more of this!

Jeff!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    To be fair, the book essentially starts with Infinity Stones stuff and Infinity Wars was an extension of that.

• Options
    To be fair, the book essentially starts with Infinity Stones stuff and Infinity Wars was an extension of that.
    It was doing a lot of real interesting stuff with The Gardener and the Raptors and the Nova Corps that I think should have gotten a lot more time to breathe with the Infinity Stones being a recurring plot point that eventually led to an event

Basically what happened with Aaron's Thor where the War of the Realms was gradually built up over years before the big climax

Instead they said fuck it and did 2 separate events after the book had been around for like a year

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    MJ catches the eye of Von Doom?

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    man I love Chiang's art

• Options
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Oh wow Uncanny X-Men #150 is just straight up where Magneto went from being a bland supervillain mastermind to Magneto huh

Like in the span of 5 pages they introduce his having lofty goals for the world and wanting to make it genuinely better (through his authoritarian means), having respect for his foes and hint at his tragic past

Edit: oh dang no they just went straight to his being a Holocaust survivor in there too

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Oh wow Uncanny X-Men #150 is just straight up where Magneto went from being a bland supervillain mastermind to Magneto huh

Like in the span of 5 pages they introduce his having lofty goals for the world and wanting to make it genuinely better (through his authoritarian means), having respect for his foes and hint at his tragic past

Edit: oh dang no they just went straight to his being a Holocaust survivor in there too

Still found it an odd choice that Claremont decided that the guy who dressed up his own army like this (https://marvelousage.com/2018/08/09/x-men-vol-1-4/), was the one to turn into a Holocaust survivor. But it sure made the character a lot more interesting.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Is that the issue where he nearly kills Kitty, realizes she’s both a mutant and Jewish and suddenly needs to rethink his entire approach?

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Is that the issue where he nearly kills Kitty, realizes she’s both a mutant and Jewish and suddenly needs to rethink his entire approach?

Yup! While the whole time Cyclops is wearing his octopus robes.

• Options
    Ahahahahahaha holy fuck Mr. Sinister's entrance into HoXPoX is incredible
    In the Year One time period, prior to the founding of the X-Men, Charles and Erik go to visit Nathaniel Essex.
    mz3ne98fv5eh.jpg
    5zzsan50wfc9.jpg
    1vr9nwytqzud.jpg
    12fe58xlis1x.jpg
    ude86gpvflvk.jpg

This also pretty thoroughly confirms Charles is up to some nefarious shit

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I
    love
    Mr. Sinister

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    he's certainly something.

(and that something is, yes, absolutely fabulous.)

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    That's the best pages I have seen so far.

• Options
    okay so PoX 4 definitely supports my working theory
    Prof X is a villain and even more "ends justify the means" than Magneto and has been all along.

Like, based on this issue every time the X-Men have fought Sinister he's been unknowingly working on Xavier's behalf.

• Options
    Prof X is a villain and even more "ends justify the means" than Magneto and has been all along.

Like, based on this issue every time the X-Men have fought Sinister he's been unknowingly working on Xavier's behalf.
    Honestly reading the Claremont run has made this feel like an extremely logical step to take
    He is constantly a controlling overbearing asshole who doesn't listen to his closest allies

In UXM #150 he even thinks to himself about how similar he and Magneto have become

I am all for just doing away with the illusion of Charles as a heroic figure

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Honestly reading the Claremont run has made this feel like an extremely logical step to take
    He is constantly a controlling overbearing asshole who doesn't listen to his closest allies

In UXM #150 he even thinks to himself about how similar he and Magneto have become

oh yeah, "Professor X is actually the X-Men's greatest villain" is a take that's been around for a while, Hickman is just taking all of that subtext, both intentional and otherwise and making it text.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

oh yeah, "Professor X is actually the X-Men's greatest villain" is a take that's been around for a while, Hickman is just taking all of that subtext, both intentional and otherwise and making it text.

Let's hope he makes some other long term subtext text as well

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Why are there so many Mister Sinisters

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Cause that's what he does, baybee

The whole world should be Sinister

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    profxisajerk.jpg

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    So basically...Hickman is redoing
    Onslaught, without the wimping out that it's not all Chuck's fault? I'm okay with that.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    There's a Hickam infographics page that hints at all sort of Sinister secrets this issue, I haven't sat down to figure them all out yet but some of them might be very interesting.

For example,
    more Summers brothers? Yes, Adam-X has a chance again! :P

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

1N0K0h4.jpg?1

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Sinister is a System.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    There's a Hickam infographics page that hints at all sort of Sinister secrets this issue, I haven't sat down to figure them all out yet but some of them might be very interesting.

For example,
    more Summers brothers? Yes, Adam-X has a chance again! :P

Whereas in Ultimate, everyone is a mutant from Wolverine, in 616, Every mutant is a Summers brother

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Was Sinister always goofy like that? The only version of him I ever encountered prior to Gillen's run was the 90s cartoon.

• Options
    I am real bummed to report the issues I had with Gwenpool Strikes Back #1 are just as prevalent, if not moreso, in #2.

I've liked Leah Williams work quite a bit in the past but this book is just unfiltered Very Online Bullshit at full blast with an extra layer of fourth wall breaking meta commentary and it just doesn't work for me at all

Which sucks, but oh well it definitely feels like Williams is telling the story she wants to tell and I'm happy for her on that level at least even if it ain't a story I like

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Was Sinister always goofy like that? The only version of him I ever encountered prior to Gillen's run was the 90s cartoon.

A certain amount of flamboyance has always been a part of his character but it definitely got turned up to 11 in the past 5 years or so.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    He became goofy once people realized it was impossible to take a guy named Mr. Sinister seriously

• Options
    Honestly, I vastly prefer leaning into the hyper posh British aristo thing

It is way more entertaining and distinct than just being yet another evil mad genius

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Someone honestly should have put more.effort in over the years to shift over to using his actual name instead of Sinister

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Someone honestly should have put more.effort in over the years to shift over to using his actual name instead of Sinister
    Nathaniel Essex is a really good name!

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.