As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Iruka's Thread, Sketchbook Dumpin' since twenty ten Y'all.

1121314151618»

• SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    the frog lady is missing an arm, yet still so sassy.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'd really like to mess around with some color on those crews, I like the frog lady a lot.

This week though, I've been messing around with the creeps:
    ey68fdqam690.jpg

• acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    I kinda want the slug to get tiny creep eyes on his stalks there, just to tie it all together. Liking that pastel-y color scheme.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I love the creepy crawlies! It does seem like there are places where some cast shadows could add some depth - by the slug onto the spider, by the snake onto the rat, etc. - and the snake's heads look strangely flat compared to the rest of the drawing.

I love the palette, though. It's a really fun piece.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    Thanks! Yeah I wanted to keep the thing overall flat, but didn't really decide how to tackle it either way. I probably wont go back into this one, it feels more like a doodle than something worth revisiting.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I can only hope that someday I get to a point where that qualifies as a doodle. :)

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    Doodles, as I get used to the Ipad more. Some quick orcs
    e5nm914kk0le.png
    gfa61nvvg0hq.png
    A still unfinished cat
    y0tn9f8bdek1.jpg

• SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    Man, I love that weird cat!

• SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    that cat looks like hes at burning man. and it just kicked in, man.

SeveredHead on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Did you ever settle on a logo?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    I only wanted to pop in and say I love your art Iruka and wish ya posted more :D

@Ash of Yew Thanks dude! I'm hoping with the ipad I can sketch more and post more.

@Doodmann

I think I made vectors for two of the logos, but never got around to doing more after I realised I had missed the window for making new business cards before the local print con. Still want to work through some branding ideas in general, before I put together another zine.

Next time im at my PC, I'll open up those files and see where I got.

edited June 2019
    Have I really not posted in here since February, I've become part of the problem, jeez.

Work I did for penny arcade, for their court of cups podcast:
    onegq0a8gz8m.png

Did an album cover for a friend:
    lzafhf22icbv.png
    https://death-adder.bandcamp.com/album/flesh-devourer?fbclid=IwAR0_LlQPurNmL6aO2nmqYhrCwHvlCZujtFxcL9Mhz-GOI6cVsKdmojhtieg

Did a commission for a card game:
    rtvr4689cvac.png
    https://twitter.com/silent7seven

Played around with this concept for a bit:
    oabgokba1641.png
    qczg26vbve2c.png
    uohzv66u85k3.png

Studies that built up to that
    5eyt0cfs98pc.jpg
    lmpm4t1658bh.jpg

More the usual shit:
    5bzcfvkgmoc7.jpg
    5urjxwtanqb0.png
    zb66ggi74ah1.png

just fucking around on the ipad, but I didnt actually plan out the drawing so its a little too messed up spend more time on
    ktwb4019f3b7.png

more trash
    mrm9ms8z9gy1.png

Iruka on
    I love the textures in the mermaid one

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    <scrolling down post>
    DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGGGGG
    <gets to another melty eye>
    WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY must you do thiiiiiiiissss

It's like, the least drippy one I've ever done

So good!!!!

Question: what is messed up about that drawing which prevents you from spending more time on it? What does it fundamentally lack that 'planning it out' would have given it? I I find myself noodling on drawings and paintings a lot, not knowing that there's some internal balance or symmetry I'm AIMING at, but can't quite define. Which is to say I always feel like I approach it, but never feel like I have it, and I'm wondering if it's to be found in some initial planning phase I ALWAYS SKIP.

@acadia sure!

I basically have three modes of painting:

A) Gather reference, take photos of poses, sketch till I feel like I understand whats going on, then start rendering
    B) Fuck around in my sketchbook until I kinda like something, throw things at it in photoshop till I like the mood of it, gather reference if I can strengthen it, finish it.
    C) Just studying from reference without an end goal in mind, I might never "finish" it or post it anywhere. Usually sketchbook stuff

I am much more naturally inclined to work in mode B, but the "Fuck around" and "throw things at it in PS" phases produce much more inconsistent results. Things that come out of mode B can be really hit or miss, I'm playing around more than I am concentrating. Also takes a lot longer. Things that come out of that process are things like the weird dog paintings, though, which I enjoy very much. Certain subjects, like dogs and skulls, come out better from this mode cause I've drawn them so much I have more of a foundation to work with.

Mode A is the process I follow for things like commissions where I need to communicate a bunch of things and have it approved at multiple steps. The results, at this point, are as predictable as I can muster.

The card commission and the PA work was done in that A mode. Because of that, I really worked out some of the problems I may have had if I just went right into winging it, but It also lacks some of the freedom of just erasing something and making it weirder for the fuck of it. I dont totally mind working this way, but without the motivation of an outside influence or deadline, its pretty rare that I sit down with that level of intent these days.

When you look at the colorful ladies, If I had gone through the whole shoot a bunch of reference process, I could probably have chosen more interesting poses. The blue lady in particular has no rhyme or reason to her actual body other than I needed to get it back there. There are cool shapes here and there, but overall I could probably take it as a sketch and try again, same basic designs, but with a stronger Idea of how they should be on the page together.

Outside of that, I cant really think of something I could to to it to make it stronger, so I abandoned it. I could render out but I wouldn't be able to actually do anything with the blue lady without redrawing her anyway. I could play around with some inking techniques on it, but I dont think I'd learn much as is. If the concept strikes me enough I could do some more sketching and try a more planned out final.

Thank you for the thought out response! I tend to the B process, and agree that I get bum results about as often as I get good results from it (sidenote your Dags always make me think of Darkhounds from the Wheel of Time books and I love them). It sounds like my 'gather reference' phase is too short, doesn't happen enough times in the process, and I don't take pose references myself and I'm thinking maybe I should. My reference game is weak. I'm also due for a period of time where I focus on specific practice from ref without trying to immediately use it in some project or other.

You do a great job of creating clean, balanced, and iconic art, and I guess I was just wondering if there was some abstract shape compositing phase you went through to help set up your compositions (or help decide whether an already set composition is up to snuff). I know some artists are big believers in circles and ratios and having shit line up EXACTLY 'behind the scenes' across the page.

That's high praise that I feel underqualified for, but I appreciate it.

I know the kind of processes you're referring to, and I probably have absorbed some of those ideas over the years, but the only one I really do myself is basic thumbnailing. Usually I'll just dive into a sketch in the sketchbook, fuck up the placement on the page, then I'll have to chop it up and finish it digitally.

I invested in a relatively cheap, but nice tripod and a cellphone mount. Combined with a little bluetooth selfie clicker, I have a pretty simple system for taking basic ref. They are the highest quality refs, but I can cycle through 20 poses in a few minutes instead of laboring in the sketchbook. Its helped with the character focused stuff.

8p83h8ta7irq.png
    Also, I forgot this one.

• barcsbarcs ireland Registered User regular
    these are all great but that card game commission is fantastic!

Sketchbook dump! My sister made me a bunch of little sketchbooks since I got her a book binding kit. they are wonderful and lie flat and I have so many that they feel very casual to work in. I'm one of those people who get weird, sketchbook jitters.

2ns7bafy2jm6.png
    975ak5c2715x.jpg
    wt9id6zs6wgv.png
    i3yposje9jbx.png
    tc0vyk62wasg.png
    r7nq6g2bsrq7.png
    qse8fwl85lmo.png

So much of your stuff seems like it would translate to tattoos real well.

hah, thanks! I thought about it briefly but I dont have any tattoos, or want any, and people don't really trust tattoo artists who don't have any themselves! That and apprenticeship is a bit of a racket.

I still day dream about a later in life pivot.

I have and will continue to get more so that part isn't the problem, it's the whole "starting your career over" thing.

v9ws9i1uwkc2.png

Worked on the cat

Took a screen printing class in the fall:
    um5hbtpi2pq2.jpg
    ou2awcgfszrf.jpg
    glovsf6hyfbj.jpg
    x0lnvpg8wf04.jpg

Fooling around:
    bkttbxdsavbf.jpg
    mxn4sjac77wq.png
    cm2sjlppk5zf.png

yikphd93br6m.png
    gscjcpij2uu1.jpg

v5fk4g3gczf6.png

The usual
    qi4f88fpot7i.jpg

I feel lazy now lol. Excellent work!!

• barcsbarcs ireland Registered User regular
    fantastic stuff! every post was a new favourite! and your thought out responses are really helpful! i especially love your colour choices!

@barcs Thanks! Glad you fond my responses helpful! This thread goes back 10 years though, don't listen to 20 year old me haha.

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    I'm late to the party here, but I absolutely love that cosmic dog. Your work conveys such a great sense of 3d space and depth. I mean, just look at those toe pads!

Sorry I don't have much to offer in way of meaningful critique (I'm way too much of a beginner for that), but I find your pieces inspiring and motivating. Thank you for sharing them!

edited July 2020
    Thanks @Didgeridoo! Nice comments always remind me that people are here and looking at the forum, even when times are slow. I'm glad you enjoy looking, but thanks for taking the time to say so, it means the world to me!

acc8cwtjn4hg.jpg
    9fdevetmxv98.jpg
    196b5crbqqb8.jpg
    7z2s7qc31ehu.jpg
    zc4t6mum4cjt.jpg

Iruka on
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    I always look at your arts, even after i drifted away from this corner of the boards. It’s been an absolute treat to watch you grow as an artist

• PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Your art is stunning @Iruka
    Looking at the 4tg picture in your last post (the yin yang) gave me the chills

More please? : )

This lockdown has been very boring for me, but the upside is I discovered some wonderful things I would not have experienced otherwise.
    Like your awe-inspiring art
    Thank you!

I haven't posted much, but I was also not super productive art wise in 2020.

nptqz3588yjo.png
    kgly8celp718.png
    xzmls8iuh4i3.png
    gnllgzyl8oq7.png
    7wm9dmoxuoks.jpg
    4z4vbzbbpnnj.png

I did buy some sculpey and play around with it, though:
    rhbgvb8flp6l.png
    576uer19rgoj.png
    nsj48f3ltdhx.png

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    Dang, lovin' the Sculpey dog!