As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Squad sub leaders!

• PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Man forgot what it was like to play this game. Have to actually prepare stuff for hunts and my weapon wasn't doing anything to that dang flying mouse. It's ok though I'm wearing its skin on my head now.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    i wish this game had cross save.

the xbox population for mhw got so dire i stopped playing, i can't imagine iceborne is any better. it's such a bummer, i wish this shit didn't suck.
    I'm getting back into MHW literally tonight, so look me up if you'd like things to be marginally less dire.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Holy shit, Tempered Banbaros in the Elder Recess is a fucking nightmare. Gear up the exact opposite for that fight like you would expect boys.

If anything, the game is making me enjoy it in the ways I enjoyed Witcher 3. The name of the game is preparation and more preparation.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • KoldanarKoldanar Registered User regular
    Hot damn I forgot how to play. First iceborne monster had me backing out to farm some MR gear. And I forgot how to fill up my loadout, so there was that (2 potions...). But I know the new CB move at least.

BTW, I see I'm still in the squad - I don't mind being removed if other, active players want in - I don't have PS+ anymore at the moment.

3DS friend code : 1375 - 7258 - 4504
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Just chiming in to extoll the virtues of the Gunblade again.

played a couple of games with Rakeeth(? did I get your name right? sorry if I didn't) and we both had our GLs out. Two GunLances both sticking our explodey-stakes into the same monster and then just looping our respective full blast combos in tandem is just mean!

We killed a Barroth in the arena before the Dragonator was even ready to use.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Just chiming in to extoll the virtues of the Gunblade again.

played a couple of games with Rakeeth(? did I get your name right? sorry if I didn't) and we both had our GLs out. Two GunLances both sticking our explodey-stakes into the same monster and then just looping our respective full blast combos in tandem is just mean!

We killed a Barroth in the arena before the Dragonator was even ready to use.

Yeah, Rakeeth. I (FauxRomano) was in there playing attack up XL into it's face as well. I didn't even think to look at the time, but it was very quick.

All ailments negated song on HH handles some of the more annoying monster mechanics like sleepy time balloon.

Doesn't cover blights unfortunately, but Bleeding, Paralysis, Poison, Sleep, Effluvial Buildup, and Stun is a good immunity list.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Ooooh we can get a 3 man GL hunt going then!

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I don't need no gun in my Lance.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Talking about blights, the blight immunity charm does not work against blast blight. Imagine my disappointment.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    depends on if its elemental or status or effuvia or...

camo_sig.png
    I always thought blastblight was an elemental blight. They really buffed it this time, it used to be that you need to roll twice to get rid of it. Now it's 4 or 5 times.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    nargi is so kool

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I always thought blastblight was an elemental blight. They really buffed it this time, it used to be that you need to roll twice to get rid of it. Now it's 4 or 5 times.

It's kind of somewhere between blight (esp fireblight) and status. It has always required its own immunity skill, IIRC (Bio Researcher). And its own buff skill (Bombardier), come to think of it.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    I was really surprised by blastblight too. 5 rolls is sooooo many for slime-puncher's blight. I did a HR Teostra just 'cause yesterday and that blight was still just 3 rolls.

does having 20+ fire resist still prevent blastblight?

I don't think so, but I'm not sure. I was doing some quick googling right now because I wasn't sure what Teo's blight actually was, fire or blast, but it seems like 20+ fire only works on fire. Basically elements (fire, ice, dragon, thunder, water) and not status (blast, para, whatever). So you gotta waste deco slots.

Elendil wrote: »
    does having 20+ fire resist still prevent blastblight?

The fireproof mantle does make you immune to it, so I would say yes.

brachy is a special case of blight though.

blast and fire are different resistance skills though. there is a antiblast and a fire res skill. blast is technically a status in the game not element.
    the fact that fireproof does both is just a perk.

effluvial is also different than miasma.

camo_sig.png
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    if you bring 3 ranks of blast res you don't get blastblight or slime from brachy

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Just roll.

But 5 times! He just places so much slime everywhere and even if he just grazes you, he applies blastblight. You really spend a lot of time with blastblight during the fight, too risky to get hit with it.

But 5 times! He just places so much slime everywhere and even if he just grazes you, he applies blastblight. You really spend a lot of time with blastblight during the fight, too risky to get hit with it.

its a throwback to old school brachy,. it even has a different icon

camo_sig.png
    That's pre-Generations right? I remember him being a lot of trouble in MH4, but recently fought him in GU and he's a pretty easy fight there.

It is one of the highest environmental situational awareness fights in the game.

It can be a huge pain and it's not just as easy as roll. I know that.

I hates it. Tigrex "I'm gonna charge all the things" is p annoying too.

It's good I like hunting these monsters considering how annoying they are.

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    That's pre-Generations right? I remember him being a lot of trouble in MH4, but recently fought him in GU and he's a pretty easy fight there.

Brachy's from 3U originally, and Blast was invented to represent his explosive slime. Except the localisers decided to focus on the second part of that, so in the English version the new status was called Slime.

Full teams using Slime weapons could get pretty ridiculous.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    I have my grievances, but I'm not gonna bitch about them. The response is generally 'Welcome to G Rank, grievances are a feature, not a bug'.

wbee62u815wj.png
    hammer is soooooo good in iceborne

they didn't add any crazy new moves but it feels like everything got just a little better

more stuns, more exhaustion, affinity slider got buffed, airborne got buffed, it's a struggle to use anything else

working on a rathian switch axe atm, not sure what tree to build for lance. i just used my entire high rank taroth crest set for the barioth fight and it did surprisingly solid work. running the rarity 10 barroth hammer. 1400 non-elemental damage with decent white sharpness is bananas

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Yeah the weapons have been tweaked so nicely.

The hammer definitely feels more hefty when it hits and I like the new upswing move. I love the lance counter that practically grapples me from an insane distance and hits an enemy while being completely invulnerable through the animation. Charge Blades pizza cutter provides much fun when swinging with reckless abandon.

Also that “Freemeal” skill and at 75% is proc madness. Gulped ten max potions before it got spent.

glavenus is hard as shit with hammer

stop pointing your ass at me

• RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
    Have partial tigrex set and even with 25% free meal it's noticable. Tempted to craft whole thing. I've had multiple assignment where I have to fly back to refill pots 2-3 times. I need to get good.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I've been going slow and only up to Narga, but that True Razor Sharp is pretty sweet as well.

• QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So my friend's badgering finally got me to buy this (that and being able to get it for $15 AU) so I just started last night by making a character and doing the very intro stuff - just got to Astera.
    Looking forward to diving in

steam_sig.png
    i might jump into building a set at glav or narga

they're both a little thin on slots, but those set bonuses are superb

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Any verdict on how the Greatsword changes feel in Iceborne? I totally fell in love with the weapon in World, so i'm real keen to hear how Iceborne's treating it.

Also interested in hearing how Dual blades are going

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Any verdict on how the Greatsword changes feel in Iceborne? I totally fell in love with the weapon in World, so i'm real keen to hear how Iceborne's treating it.

Also interested in hearing how Dual blades are going

it's basically only better. extra damage bonus on TCS if you land the small hit before the big one, plus all the clutch claw stuff

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    we decided to make rathalos more difficult by turning off his ability to land

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Questor wrote: »
    So my friend's badgering finally got me to buy this (that and being able to get it for $15 AU) so I just started last night by making a character and doing the very intro stuff - just got to Astera.
    Looking forward to diving in

What platform?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    So... I noticed something.

One of the things I was hoping to do was do everything I couldn't do in the main game after I used Iceborne to make things easier. I couldn't play it enough or knew enough personal friends playing it to grind through a lot of the end stuff.

Specifically I don't have the temporal and rocksteady mantles. Now I had the assignment for the temporal on standby before I started Iceborne. That assignment is gone now.

Now I do get the idea of not making it too easy to get the challenging stuff. However... I just paid $40 or $50 for an expansion where a big perk of it is to get really nice armor and weapons.

Basically if they're blocking everyone not hardcore enough to get all the mantles in the main game from EVER getting them in the future installments, that's... shit. That's REALLY shit.

wbee62u815wj.png