Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Bad News Gone Right]: The Return

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I feel like focusing on the vegan aspect is a dick move meant to drive clicks from the "let's laugh at vegans" crowd

She's a joyless wonder beyond the meat smells, so I doubt she'd be any easier to live next to if she was chowing down on a porterhouse every night

Gnome-InterruptusCouscousdestroyah87Kayne Red RobeBlackDragon480MulysaSemproniusKristmas KthulhuSorceBrovid HasselsmofShadowfireForarRchanenHefflingDuke 2.0NightDragonmaraji
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 4
    Couscous wrote: »
    They forbid their children playing basketball and barbecuing but have not stopped smoking outside?

Yeah, I re-read the story to make sure I didn't miss that. Took away barbecuing and basketball, but not the smoking.

Edit: I'm guessing that the story focuses on that to put her complaint in perspective - since she finds the odor of cooking meat offensive. Otherwise she'd look even crazier.

Nitsua on
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Bad news: Hurricanes are very damaging
    Gone Right: Free drugs?

VishNubNitsuaGnome-InterruptusRMS OceanicFANTOMASkimeHeffling
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Nitsua wrote: »
    So, a vegan lady in Australia has been suing her neighbor for... living their life? From about 2017, Cilla Carden has been fighting noise and smells in the courtroom. She feels that the kids purposefully play basketball too loud and that the neighbors smoke cigarettes and barbecue fish just to keep her from being able to go outside. Her court case was thrown out and so was her appeal, however her neighbor has forbid his kids from playing basketball and gotten rid of their barbecue... this hasn't not satisfied her and she plans to continue to her legal fight. She feels she is just fighting for her right to live, but she is doing so by stopping others from living how they want.

I guess the gone right is that nothing has come of it and the neighbors are at least taking her complaints into consideration. This story just sounds surreal though. Like she literally believes what they are doing is directly targeted towards her in order to keep her inside all the time. I feel for her, in a way.

There's no universe where I'd stop my kids doing a healthy activity because some crazy neighbour...
    This lady has agency and can move somewhere else away from everyone.

"Just pack up your life and move somewhere else" is a pretty big ask.

I do agree that the complaints are ridiculous, especially considering the neighbors have made some concessions even without a legal order.

NitsuaGnome-InterruptusCouscousvalhalla130webguy20Calicakime
    Fry wrote: »
    So, a vegan lady in Australia has been suing her neighbor for... living their life? From about 2017, Cilla Carden has been fighting noise and smells in the courtroom. She feels that the kids purposefully play basketball too loud and that the neighbors smoke cigarettes and barbecue fish just to keep her from being able to go outside. Her court case was thrown out and so was her appeal, however her neighbor has forbid his kids from playing basketball and gotten rid of their barbecue... this hasn't not satisfied her and she plans to continue to her legal fight. She feels she is just fighting for her right to live, but she is doing so by stopping others from living how they want.

I guess the gone right is that nothing has come of it and the neighbors are at least taking her complaints into consideration. This story just sounds surreal though. Like she literally believes what they are doing is directly targeted towards her in order to keep her inside all the time. I feel for her, in a way.

There's no universe where I'd stop my kids doing a healthy activity because some crazy neighbour...
    This lady has agency and can move somewhere else away from everyone.

"Just pack up your life and move somewhere else" is a pretty big ask.

I do agree that the complaints are ridiculous, especially considering the neighbors have made some concessions even without a legal order.

This is less of a burden than "all your neighbours need to change their behaviours and lives"
    Not saying it wouldn't suck but her problems aren't the neighbourhoods problems.

SmrtniktynicAngelHedgieNitsuaShadowfirefurlionKristmas KthulhuMoridin889JoolanderElvenshaevalhalla130SkeithInquisitor77NobeardKetarkimeDuke 2.0ZundeMaijinamuroOut Of ContextLabelHappy Little Machine
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited September 4
    She'd have problems wherever she lived, based on that story, unless it was in the middle of nowhere with the nearest neighbour fifty miles away

What she needs is help addressing her underlying issues

Edit: sorry, I'm being a killjoy tonight

Rhesus Positive on
    DoodmannAridholAngelHedgieGvzbgulNobeardkimeHefflingmaraji
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    She'd have problems wherever she lived, based on that story, unless it was in the middle of nowhere with the nearest neighbour fifty miles away

What she needs is help addressing her underlying issues

Edit: sorry, I'm being a killjoy tonight

My in-laws had some D list actor move in next door in their town of 2000. He complained about their dogs constantly, even though the dogs were never out before 7am or after 8pm. One time he called in a noise complaint.

The responding officer was the state trooper who lives across the road and also has two dogs.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Stabbity StyleNitsuaSmrtnikTofystedethKayne Red RobeSorceMoridin889FryRchanenElvenshaeMayabirdMvrckGnome-Interruptusvalhalla130webguy20CalicaSkeithNyysjanPolaritieNobeardKetarmjn6172kimeHefflingDuke 2.0KruiteJaysonFourThe Zombie PenguinHappylilElfLabelEncHappy Little MachineNightDragonmaraji
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    They forbid their children playing basketball and barbecuing but have not stopped smoking outside?

Yeah, I re-read the story to make sure I didn't miss that. Took away barbecuing and basketball, but not the smoking.

Edit: I'm guessing that the story focuses on that to put her complaint in perspective - since she finds the odor of cooking meat offensive. Otherwise she'd look even crazier.

The first article I saw about this sounded like this is at least the second neighbor she sued. She also went after the next house over in the other side of Vu, for meat smells and loud eating.

Fry
  • BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular

Telling your kids to play basketball somewhere else is easy. Not barbecuing is easy. Quitting smoking is not easy. And I don't think that smoking inside the house when you have kids is ideal for the kids health. Seems entirely reasonable.

• reVersereVerse Registered User regular
    In the dark and distant future of the year 2019,
    Hitler's 'last living relative' convicted of paedophilia after kissing girl, 13

If you can't see tweets on your device you're missing out, because this guy has a look.

MayabirdtynicSmrtnikElvenshaehonovereNobeardTofystedethBullheadTynnankimeKristmas KthulhuShadowfireTNTrooperSkeithHappy Little Machinemaraji
    What if Hitler was right about eugenics except we should use it on fucking shitty people like, you know, his family.
    At least 2 in the last couple generations are pretty terrible.
    This is a joke.
    mostly

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind.
    kime

That's just being vindictive dickheads.

I would absolutely do the same thing because I'm a bad person but this lady has real issues and being shitheads to her isn't very nice.

FiendishrabbitRhesus PositiveCouscousShadowfiremaraji
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Tough. Shit.

omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    SoggybiscuitBullheadfurliontynicZundeMaijinamuroTNTrooperSorceSkeithHappylilElfEncXaquin
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    What if Hitler was right about eugenics except we should use it on fucking shitty people like, you know, his family.

The last five definite descendants of the Hitler family, two in Austria and three in the US (which doesn't include the tattooed guy up there) made a pact to have no children and end the bloodline.

ElvenshaeTofystedethForarL Ron HowardKristmas KthulhuShadowfireNitsuaTNTrooperSorceKing RiptorSkeithJaysonFourNightDragonmaraji
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    In the dark and distant future of the year 2019,
    Hitler's 'last living relative' convicted of paedophilia after kissing girl, 13

If you can't see tweets on your device you're missing out, because this guy has a look.

Strong chance he stays the last living relative too

Gone right: she might actually win this lawsuit.

Well, from how that reads, it's not being done by the people she's suing but by people who have heard/read about it. Kind of a common thing nowadays with social media to clap back like this. Doesn't make the group doing it any less of a bunch of dicks though.

That article also states that she complained about their lighting, pets, and plants. I think being around others really isn't for her. 🙁

destroyah87ForarChiselphaneFANTOMASBullheadStabbity StyleElvenshaetynicGnome-InterruptusKristmas KthulhuShadowfireSmrtnikbalerbowerSkeithNobeardEncCalicaHappy Little MachineMr Raymaraji
    Well, from how that reads, it's not being done by the people she's suing but by people who have heard/read about it

Yes, but she's going to sue anyway. There's not really two ways on that one - literally everything anyone does outside their houses within at least a two lot radius earns a lawsuit from her, a mob intentionally barbecuing to upset her is going to get one hell of a lawsuit.

Of course, this is the new Area 51 raid - six thousand people will sign up but if six actually show up it'll be a new record (even odds nobody actually brings any food or a grill anyway).

Gnome-Interruptus
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Who is she going to sue? Everyone that showed up? And why would that impact the case she has against her neighbors, who didn't ask for any of this?

IANAL but I'm pretty sure that's not how the law works. =P

Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind.
    Gnome-InterruptusElvenshaeNitsuaSmrtnikMoridin889
    edited September 5
    Who is she going to sue? Everyone that showed up? And why would that impact the case she has against her neighbors, who didn't ask for any of this?

Well, she's already got the lawyers on the organizers, so that's probably a safe bet to start with. Oh, and arranged with the police to deal with anyone who trespasses as part of the event.

Edit: I only noticed after double checking my links that they're the same link apparently.

The organizer noped out a few hours after lawyers got involved, saying they don't condone any kind of harassment or trespassing, like having a barbecue on a person's lawn with the in-writing intention of provoking a response and forcing them to "put pork on their fork," which I *hope* means "eat ribs," because my brain wants to whisper that to my wife after the kids are asleep.

I never said anything about her lawsuit with her neighbors, which has already been thrown out by the highest court willing to listen to her.

Hevach on
    AridholShadowfireElvenshae
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    This story is like the buzz on the dev floor at work today

Hevach wrote: »

Well, she's already got the lawyers on the organizers, so that's probably a safe bet to start with. Oh, and arranged with the police to deal with anyone who trespasses as part of the event.

Edit: I only noticed after double checking my links that they're the same link apparently.

The organizer noped out a few hours after lawyers got involved, saying they don't condone any kind of harassment or trespassing, like having a barbecue on a person's lawn with the in-writing intention of provoking a response and forcing them to "put pork on their fork," which I *hope* means "eat ribs," because my brain wants to whisper that to my wife after the kids are asleep.

I never said anything about her lawsuit with her neighbors, which has already been thrown out by the highest court willing to listen to her.

Yeah, but the Australian article states that even though her appeal was denied and the neighbors have conceded some things to her, she is not ending her legal fight. She really wants to punish someone for what's going on, that's for sure.

ElvenshaeSoggybiscuitBullhead
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Okay, back on the Hitler dude with the head tattoo. Found a tweet about what it is:

You might have mixed feelings about this. "Actually that's a pretty okay lion, though nobody's going to be looking down at the top of the head so it's still pretty weird..." and so on like that. You don't need to have mixed feelings. It's a white supremacist dog whistle. Several groups, including VDARE and one called the Lion Guard use a lion insignia due to a quote from Mussolini, "It is better to live one day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep."

Yep.

Yep.

So...where's the gone right? Well, I guess, if you can't see the tweets, ignorance is bliss?

shrykeKristmas KthulhuElvenshae
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Gone far right.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    MayabirdBlackDragon480Gnome-InterruptushonovereshrykeRichyFiendishrabbitForarTNTrooperShadowfireFANTOMASL Ron HowardOrcaNitsuaKristmas KthulhuFrySteel AngelMichaelLCRhesus PositivetynicElvenshaeSoggybiscuitbalerbowerwebguy20RchanenSkeithJaysonFourSorceRMS Oceanicvalhalla130kimeTynnanHonkDuke 2.0NobeardMr FuzzbuttIncenjucarLabelStabbity StyleHefflingHahnsoo1boogedybooSelnerHappy Little MachineMr Raymaraji
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

Yeah, but the Australian article states that even though her appeal was denied and the neighbors have conceded some things to her, she is not ending her legal fight. She really wants to punish someone for what's going on, that's for sure.

I had a neighbour like this. Old cranky women. She kept at this shit till she finally died.

It was all "stop playing ball hockey in your driveway" and "your things are too close to the property line" and on and on and on. We basically never gave an inch on this shit though cause fuck her.

I remember one time, while we were doing a renovation, she called the city like every day about some complaint or other. One of the inspector guys eventually basically begged us to tell him a way to make her stop.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited September 6
    That is definitely a picture of Hitler next to a picture of Angela Merkel. Uhhh. Yup that is.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    tynicBlackDragon480ElvenshaeKristmas KthulhuRchanenMayabirdSkeithMoridin889JaysonFourTynnanNobeardLabelshrykeHappy Little MachineNightDragonmaraji
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 8
    Bad news: Some people don't want to learn about slavery when visiting former slave plantations.

Good news: The places are talking about slavery anyway.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2019/09/08/plantations-are-talking-more-about-slavery-grappling-with-visitors-who-talk-back/
    CHARLOTTESVILLE — A Monticello tour guide was explaining how enslaved people built, planted and tended a terrace of vegetables at Thomas Jefferson’s estate earlier this summer when a woman interrupted to share her annoyance.

“Why are you talking about that?” she demanded, according to Gary Sandling, vice president of Monticello’s visitor programs and services. “You should be talking about the plants."
    “For someone like myself, going to Monticello is like an Elvis fan going to Graceland,” one review from July reads. “Then to have the tour guide essentially make constant reference to what a bad person he really was just ruined it for me.”

The Thomas Jefferson Heritage Society is a staunch opponent of Monticello’s decision to tell visitors Jefferson fathered children with Sally Hemings, after years of fierce disagreement over the strength of the evidence. John Works, a Jefferson descendant and president of the society, believes Monticello has overemphasized slavery at the expense of Jefferson’s accomplishments.

“There’s a limit to the appeal, I think, of the slavery message,” he said.
    In South Carolina, Shawn Halifax, who trains interpreters and leads programming at McLeod, remembers the jolt of learning that white supremacist Dylann Roof visited the plantation not long before killing nine black people in a Charleston church in 2015.

He also remembers the precise words of the white woman who pulled him aside after a tour about a year ago. She told him that he hated the South, painting the cotton plantation “with a brush that was much too large and far too black.”

Halifax thanked her for her comments, he recalled. He said he disagreed but would think them over. And he has.

McLeod focuses on bondage, talking bluntly about “slave labor camps” and shunning the big white house for the fields. That means some people’s beliefs are being challenged, Halifax said. Staff members try to gauge frowns and crossed arms and even embrace them as signs of those who could learn the most, if guides can break through.
    These people are amazingly well trained to not constantly be screaming at those people.

"PLANTATIONS WERE MOSTLY BLACK! WHAT OTHER BRUSH SHOULD I BE USING!?"

Couscous on
    Elvenshae[Expletive deleted]Rhesus PositiveSmrtnikRichyShadowfireGnome-InterruptusmrpakuTynnanSnicketysnickBullheadKristmas KthulhuMoridin889RchanenNitsuaDuke 2.0AngelHedgieTNTrooperSoggybiscuitFryBlackDragon480The Zombie PenguinL Ron Howardwebguy20NobeardLabelmjn6172furlionStabbity StyleTofystedethRMS OceanicshrykeMvrckknitdanCalicaHefflingJoolanderboogedybooHappy Little MachineMr RayThe SauceJaysonFourNightDragonvalhalla130maraji
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Do these people go to the holocaust memorials and complain about hearing about genocide when all they were interested in was geological soil samples?

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    BullheadMoridin889MulysaSemproniusElvenshaeStabbity StyleTofystedethRMS OceanicDoodmannMr RayJaysonFourNightDragonvalhalla130
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Do these people go to the holocaust memorials and complain about hearing about genocide when all they were interested in was geological soil samples?

Geological soil samples is completely unrelated, that's absurd!

It'd be like going to the Holocaust memorial to learn all about the important medical studies the Nazis did. While insisting we never mention how they got to perform all those horrific studies.
    Dehumanization and murder. It's always that.

valhalla130
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular

There's still a large subset of the population that seem to find just bringing up these issues *much more* distasteful than the actual issue itself. Like how Trump supporters can openly practice racism all day long, but God forbid you ever actually call them a racist

I had a former friend who responded to my pointing out that a common acquaintance was/had become a white nationalist by chiding that it was in poor taste for me to even bring it up (it being the hate speech he posted regularly and publically in Facebook)

Duke 2.0BlackDragon480tynicwebguy20GvzbgulStabbity StyleChiselphaneshrykekimeHappy Little MachineXaquinJaysonFourNightDragonmaraji
  • DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Trump's Tweets have had such a measurable effect on the economy that JP Morgan decided to create Volfefe, the Presidential shitpost volatility index.

ElvenshaeRchanenGnome-InterruptusfurlionPolaritieL Ron HowardTofystedethShadowfireRMS OceanicFryKayne Red RobeshrykeCalicakimeNobeardMoridin889JoolanderThe SauceJaysonFourvalhalla130maraji
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The brands keep invading the gaming space trying to be hip for you fellow kids. Now we have KFC bringing us... a ... dating sim.
    KFC — yes, the fast food restaurant — is working on a video game. With developer Psyop, the fried chicken connoisseurs are releasing a dating simulator, I Love You Colonel Sanders! A Finger Lickin’ Good Dating Simulator. The game popped up on Steam this morning as “coming soon,” according to the listing. A KFC representative told Polygon the game will be available for free on Steam on Sept. 24.

5z19n0mtwltl.jpg

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Gnome-InterruptusVishNubNitsuaFryRchanenBlackDragon480DisruptedCapitalistNobeardGvzbgulElvenshaeJaysonFour
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    The brands keep invading the gaming space trying to be hip for you fellow kids. Now we have KFC bringing us... a ... dating sim.
    KFC — yes, the fast food restaurant — is working on a video game. With developer Psyop, the fried chicken connoisseurs are releasing a dating simulator, I Love You Colonel Sanders! A Finger Lickin’ Good Dating Simulator. The game popped up on Steam this morning as “coming soon,” according to the listing. A KFC representative told Polygon the game will be available for free on Steam on Sept. 24.

5z19n0mtwltl.jpg

Why am I disturbed by "finger licking good."

Also why am I terrified of McDonalds getting into this?

spool32 wrote:
    he pops this cobalt blue tetrahedron like he's thought of something. I'm like son, you know that's just a reskinned fireball, right?
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist rugged, weathered Registered User regular
    Where's the gone right? Where??

BullheadVishNubBlackDragon480furlionFANTOMASMarekMichaelLCL Ron HowardTofystedethNobeardMoridin889HefflingForarKristmas KthulhuRchanenboogedybooJaysonFourmaraji
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Tie in products like an Original Recipe cologne?

First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
    DisruptedCapitalistElvenshae
  • evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular

It gives me an excuse to post this?

DisruptedCapitalistShadowfire
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

They didn't turn the Colonel into a high school girl.

steam_sig.png
    DisruptedCapitalistFryKruiteSealElvenshae
  • reVersereVerse Registered User regular

Artists and programmers got paid.

DisruptedCapitalistShadowfireAngelHedgieNyysjanMarekL Ron HowardshrykeTofystedethLoisLaneKruiteJoolanderElvenshaeMr RayJaysonFourNightDragon
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Apparently, the KFC dating sim will also have a rejected JoJo character as well:

ss_5f56f3553e910786e010e27b5c575e1bdee24cc5.600x338.jpg

This will be amazing for all the wrong reasons.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Gnome-InterruptusJoolanderShadowfireElvenshaeJaysonFour