As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fire Emblem Three Houses] happy goddamn deduesday my dudes

• AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    oh my gosh, after i promoted dedue to a mage he ended up with 8 magic.

basically unstoppable now.

The fact that people always get boosted up to the base stats of each class when they change might be very important for you.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    oh my gosh, after i promoted dedue to a mage he ended up with 8 magic.

basically unstoppable now.

Happy Goddamn Deduesday

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    So I’ve finished Control... and this goddamn game calls me for a third playthrough of the Golden Deer. But I have so much else to plaaaaaay.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    The one benefit of having pretty narrow tastes (and also bad motion sickness) means I only have interest in like... 3 or 4 games a year, which is how I end up devoting so much time to the ones I do play!

As much as I find Sylvain fun I do think he has what is possibly the worst line in the game. Mild Chapter 11 spoilers:
    He suggests that if he’d just seduced Edelgard she wouldn’t have attacked the monastery

Dude

That line was especially asinine even for him.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Dimitri and Mercedes C support

Dimitri: "oh let me help you with sword training"

Dimitri she has a higher sword rank than you do now. Her ability to throw swords is an asset. An asset.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    The one benefit of having pretty narrow tastes (and also bad motion sickness) means I only have interest in like... 3 or 4 games a year, which is how I end up devoting so much time to the ones I do play!

As much as I find Sylvain fun I do think he has what is possibly the worst line in the game. Mild Chapter 11 spoilers:
    He suggests that if he’d just seduced Edelgard she wouldn’t have attacked the monastery

Dude

That line was especially asinine even for him.
    "I bet all she needed was some Vitamin D."

"Sylvain..."

"By that I mean my dick."

"Yeah, I get it, but..."

"I would have had sex with her and she would have not attacked the monastery, you see."

"I get it, Sylvain."

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Maybe we're just super underestimating how good he is.

Sylvain has not sexed.

Not even once.

look at that dweeb

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

Yes

Yes

YES

I'm gonna change that title screen!!!

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    GLASSES ON BYLETH, yes please.

Also the goddess tower scenes are now available in the event viewer, as they should be!

edited September 2019
    Hey wait a minute my title screen got reverted to the base
    Ever since I beat Crimson Flower it's been Sothis sleeping in her chair, but now it's empty again

Edit: Nevermind it's back now

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Man, these Blue Lion A-rank supports are just too damn sweet

Sylvain and Mercedes

My heart :cry:

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Wait, story updates next April? I don't know if I'll still be in the loop then.

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    The outfits...

I am not going to accept them unless they change the weapons into basketballs and field hockey sticks

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    I guess I will play maddening after my dumb blue lions game.

Also man mercedes, unsurprisingly, really needs a levin sword to be able to do anything as a sword user. She is by far the character who has suffered most from this dumb experiment... but not for long.

Swordmaster Thunderbrand Lysithea. For maximum "that is a bad idea, Dale."

Post-Chapter 7
    Byleth and Sothis both experiencing a fainting spell after each other—and Sothis finding the sensation so familiar—is still very interesting to me, two playthroughs later

I still think there's a lot going on here that the game isn't making explicit. Who knows if they'll try to make that a thing in the DLC, though

dN0T6ur.png
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    The outfits...

I am not going to accept them unless they change the weapons into basketballs and field hockey sticks

I need Byleth to shout "Allow me to demonstrate!" as she just spikes a ball into someone's face.

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Merchant in Verdant Winds: I hope you'll be able to put an end to this conflict, and found a new Fodlan in which the free market can thrive!

Me: *vomits, reloads to start under another house, etc*

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    *gets Dimitri and Sylvain B rank*

*turns and looks at camera*

dN0T6ur.png
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I’m up to what I’m assuming is the final battle on Blue Lions and man, I’m gonna need to dive straight into the wikis after this, because I’ve got questions

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm staying far away from Maddening mode until people have figured some strats out for it, I think. I never got through Lunatic in Awakening because it was...sort of bullshit, sooooo

Veldrin wrote: »
    I’m up to what I’m assuming is the final battle on Blue Lions and man, I’m gonna need to dive straight into the wikis after this, because I’ve got questions

Given the way that the game presents information and lore drops, I think it will be a long (long) time before there's consensus on some of the events depicted, if there's ever any at all

It makes it a lot of fun to speculate about stuff!

dN0T6ur.png
    edited September 2019
    So it looks like Maddening difficulty goes in hard in a way that I was specifically hoping it might go.

Short version: Demanding, especially at start; evens out toward end but baseline harder than toughest parts of Hard mode. Very, very difficult to overlevel.

Long version:
    So it looks like the first thing they did is increase enemy levels. Shit goes in hard from the start and demands that you use spacing and forest tiles, plink away at melee fighters with your ranged units, and watch the hell out.

Another thing they did was give enemy units lots of skills! Like, enemy archers? They have poison strike. Think they can't damage your tank? Oh, they can. Not a ton, but they sure can. Keep your antibodies handy, just in case!

One of the biggest changes they made was drastically reducing the amount of experience that enemy units give. Since enemies have higher levels, this won't affect your grade curve too much in story missions, but it does make it so Auxiliary battles are no longer very effective for getting more levels. You can get class experience in a hurry, still, but you can do all the missions you want without worrying about getting so strong that you'll steamroll your enemies.

Also: lots of immobile bosses can move now. Like the first bandit chief! Or the Death Knight! So... plan for that shit.

Oh! Oh. Oh. Also: the Death Knight is immune to super effective damage. So. Dark Spikes ain't shit to him.

Reports suggest that it's not as hard as Lunatic mode in Conquest or Lunatic+ in Awakening—that it feels better and more fair than those—but that it's genuinely challenging in a way that Three Houses hasn't been up to now, and remains that way.

I'm excited.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    So it looks like Maddening difficulty goes in hard in a way that I was specifically hoping it might go.

Short version: Demanding, especially at start; evens out toward end but baseline harder than toughest parts of Hard mode. Very, very difficult to overlevel.

Long version:
    So it looks like the first thing they did is increase enemy levels. Shit goes in hard from the start and demands that you use spacing and forest tiles, plink away at melee fighters with your ranged units, and watch the hell out.

Another thing they did was give enemy units lots of skills! Like, enemy archers? They have poison strike. Think they can't damage your tank? Oh, they can. Not a ton, but they sure can. Keep your antibodies handy, just in case!

One of the biggest changes they made was drastically reducing the amount of experience that enemy units give. Since enemies have higher levels, this won't affect your grade curve too much in story missions, but it does make it so Auxiliary battles are no longer very effective for getting more levels. You can get class experience in a hurry, still, but you can do all the missions you want without worrying about getting so strong that you'll steamroll your enemies.

Also: lots of immobile bosses can move now. Like the first bandit chief! Or the Death Knight! So... plan for that shit.

Oh! Oh. Oh. Also: the Death Knight is immune to super effective damage. So. Dark Spikes ain't shit to him.

Reports suggest that it's not as hard as Lunatic mode in Conquest or Lunatic+ in Awakening—that it feels better and more fair than those—but that it's genuinely challenging in a way that Three Houses hasn't been up to now, and remains that way.

I'm excited.

Did they give enemies relevant breaker skills to reestablish the weapons triangle?

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    hahaha fuckin what are these outfits

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    They're so stupid.

I love them.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    hahaha fuckin what are these outfits

Gym clothes I'm guessing.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem is a sports anime now

edited September 2019

Long version:

I'm excited.

Did they give enemies relevant breaker skills to reestablish the weapons triangle?

Not in early levels. However, enemies have very high proficiency skills equipped for their weapons (level 3 proficiency in the prologue), so getting the breaker skills and leveraging them for things like dodge tanking and higher accuracy will still end up being very important

Like in the mock battle, Edelgard shows up with +4 Dex, which, alarming given that she has 24 Atk and 9 AS. In fact, all enemy units have +4 Dex.

Get in them trees!

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    Also apropos of nothing but I really like Sothis. She's like the best version of mysterious ethereal girl Fire Emblem has done in maybe ever.

GD it Ferdinand

Chapter 7 (I think)
    "Did one of the house leaders know that there were mercenaries staying in Remire Village? I wonder...

Well, it will remain a mystery for now. All we can do is speculate."

they know what they're doing

dN0T6ur.png
    GD it Ferdinand

Chapter 7 (I think)
    "Did one of the house leaders know that there were mercenaries staying in Remire Village? I wonder...

black eagle characters and stuff telegraphs so hard. for blue lions I was surprised (death knight chapter) to see the name Arundel pop up.

GD it Ferdinand

Chapter 7 (I think)

black eagle characters and stuff telegraphs so hard. for blue lions I was surprised (death knight chapter) to see the name Arundel pop up.

General pre-timeskip
    Well yeah, I just mean that Ferdinand is feeding into the narrative I've built around Edelgard's motivations at the beginning of the game

It's funny how the writers' favorite exposition method is "rumors" and "characters wondering if, possibly, a thing happened"

dN0T6ur.png
    Also apropros of nothing

Mercedes(To Felix): "It's just you remind me so much of my little brother."

ahahahahahahahahahaha

dark comedy

edited September 2019
    Annette as Armor Knight has surprisingly, or maybe not surprisingly given her family, turned out pretty great. She doesn't have great strength, but thanks to all the free stats given from class promotions she actually does have good defense, along with decent speed and res. Plus the weight reduction trait from being forced to train heavy armor to get into the class basically offsets how her low strength hampers her attack speed with axes.

I guess like in other games just about anyone can fulfill the armor knight role if they can actually get into the class.

Gundi on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    does weight interact with strength? I've never really understood what the weight stat was about

BahamutZERO.gif