As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] An Annihilator shot this thread straight through. [CLOSED]

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Huh...I thought the baseline difficulty was good (albeit moderately punishing for a first playthrough). I wonder why they changed it?

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Huh...I thought the baseline difficulty was good (albeit moderately punishing for a first playthrough). I wonder why they changed it?

Probably cause everyone gets half way and then go to career mode

• ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    Good thing the devs provided a way to rollback versions since I started a campaign using a mod based on v1.6 two days ago...

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Maybe they are aiming to retain the new players coming in through Humble Bundle copies who probably aren't quite the original target audience but who might buy some sweet slightly overpriced DLCs if they stick around.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    If they're savvy, said players will realize the DLC is on sale at Gamebillet.com

Mugsley on
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    I wouldn't have said the early game is that difficult though It's definitely tedious which more salvage and $$$ will help get you through quicker.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    If they're savvy, said players will realize the DLC is on sale at Gamebillet.com

Wait, what? I've looked at this, and I see what it says on the face of it, but...how?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Nips wrote: »

Wait, what? I've looked at this, and I see what it says on the face of it, but...how?

Granted, I've been using various sites tracking game deals for a while, but if a given player knows to go to http://www.isthereanydeal.com to look for short term discounts, they can find great prices on games (and DLC) and how they compare to 'normal' sales or past historic lows.

Gamebillet is currently having a sale, offering the Battletech DLC for 30-40% off, depending on item.

I picked up another Black Knight last night and I'm considering just packing it with MLs (and a LL) and going doible-sniper for certain missions. I think it's at least worth a run. It can replace my Shotgun Shadowhawk for more pinpoint damage.

Hey Oosiks! I've finished and revealed the next Lance in my long-term Oosiks Battalion project over in CF!

I'm cross-posting here because some of you don't frequent that arm of the boards.

I'll just leave the last bit here, and y'all can check out Foxtrot Lance proper over here.

OPIw86Lh.jpg

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    DFA'd a Locust in my Highlander. It didn't even get to fire a shot.

FeelsGood.jpg

e: My current lance in Btech:
    Highlander, which I run with 2xAC-10s and a PPC. This is my only assault on the team and the pilot has Multi-Target and Breaching Shot for the most options.
    Orion LRM boat (well, 2xLRM-15s, runs a bit hot but it's good).
    Thunderbolt main workhorse with 7xMLs
    Cataphract AC/20 gun. Originally had this with a PPC and ML, but felt like it ran too hot, so I dropped the PPC for a LL.

Working out pretty well so far, although I would like some more heavies sooner or later.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    DFA'd a Locust in my Highlander. It didn't even get to fire a shot.

FeelsGood.jpg

e: My current lance in Btech:
    Highlander, which I run with 2xAC-10s and a PPC. This is my only assault on the team and the pilot has Multi-Target and Breaching Shot for the most options.
    Orion LRM boat (well, 2xLRM-15s, runs a bit hot but it's good).
    Thunderbolt main workhorse with 7xMLs
    Cataphract AC/20 gun. Originally had this with a PPC and ML, but felt like it ran too hot, so I dropped the PPC for a LL.

Working out pretty well so far, although I would like some more heavies sooner or later.

Did you get the Highlander Burial badge?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    MWO: I might be a bit late for Oosik Night tonight. Just giving a head's up. But I'm still hoping for Oosik Night tonight.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Well the Oosiks did not come out on top. Sometimes the Dropship just plops you into the wrong groups and the booze will flow. Good fun dropping with fellow players, just wish the group queue was not as bad as tonight.

Thanks @Erlkönig @Nobody for the company.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular

Thanks for this, picked up Flashpoint for $11.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    @Betsuni

Gave that KDK-3 build we were talking about a try:
    f5ttfzh1wtaj.jpg

Not terrible, putting 70 pts of pin point into a component is nothing to sneeze at. I need to figure out how to reconfigure my skill tree for more cooldown though.

Aw man, that IS a good output. Hmm, time to tweak my Kodiak.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I will forever ride into battle on a Warhammer with twin LBX10's and 4 medium lasers on the torso.

Because remember, arms are only for show!

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I will forever ride into battle on a Warhammer with twin LBX10's and 4 medium lasers on the torso.

Well look at Mr. Fancypants over here.

My only Warhammer will ever have two weapons:

Heavy gauss rifle in the left torso and a heavy gauss rifle in the right torso.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Well look at Mr. Fancypants over here.

My only Warhammer will ever have two weapons:

Heavy gauss rifle in the left torso and a heavy gauss rifle in the right torso.

The classic Eraser Nipples build

I run regular gauss in the side torsos of my 6R

Along with 6 ERML sprinkled between the torsos and arms.

Then again, it's also an XL build, and I do surprisingly well with it.

edited September 2019
    I don't like Gauss rifle's because when I'm in a fight I want to be focused 100% on movement and positioning (and heat).. and not on holding the little button down long enough but not too long. It's kind of hard to do the whole using your arms as shields thing when you're also focusing on that, I've found.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.

Welp, seeing someone else pull the trigger was enough for me to do it too. Grabbed the Season Pass, because I have impulse control problems and want all the things.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I find it absolutely fascinating that there's no Firestarter build at all, standard or Omni, that includes Inferno missiles.

It's insane! You could swap the Flamers AND the MGuns for 5xSRM-2, and swap the MG ammo for Inferno ammo and good god the damage you'd do.

In fact, I'm going to do just that. Actually I think I'll go a bit further, 5xSRM-2, 2xSLas, 1 ton Inferno ammo, and an extra ton of armor just to be extra rude.

Of course the HBS game doesn't have Inferno ammo so it'll actually just bee a mod'd SRM-2+ that does some damage, some heat, and some stab.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Tox wrote: »
    I find it absolutely fascinating that there's no Firestarter build at all, standard or Omni, that includes Inferno missiles.

It's insane! You could swap the Flamers AND the MGuns for 5xSRM-2, and swap the MG ammo for Inferno ammo and good god the damage you'd do.

In fact, I'm going to do just that. Actually I think I'll go a bit further, 5xSRM-2, 2xSLas, 1 ton Inferno ammo, and an extra ton of armor just to be extra rude.

Of course the HBS game doesn't have Inferno ammo so it'll actually just bee a mod'd SRM-2+ that does some damage, some heat, and some stab.

There is one, it’s just a bit more obscure on the TT: the FS9-P
    Manufactured by the Circinus Federation in 3064, the -P is similar to the -S, but it uses ten double heat sinks. It removes the defensive and scouting equipment, as well as a half-ton of armor to add and additional Small Laser and a pair of SRM-2s. The missile launchers are commonly loaded with Inferno rounds. BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = 775[9]

Welp, seeing someone else pull the trigger was enough for me to do it too. Grabbed the Season Pass, because I have impulse control problems and want all the things.

I, too, picked up the season pass. The retail price for Flashpoint and Urban, alone, pay for the sale price of the pass.

Last night Erlkönig was talking about the Thunderbolt and it reminded me that I have not skilled or touched those mechs since the new skill system went live. My old FW drop decks probably have no mechs skilled in it and I want to relive my old 3 Thunderbolt and 1 Locust drop deck. I need to spend a day or so finally tweaking all of my other mechs in MWO. Also finally ran out of the old Skill Points bank that I had when the system switched over to the new one. So guess I'll have to use GXP and my piles of C-Bills to skill up new mechs.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Well I've encountered an interesting 'bug' in BT. Looks like mechs from DLC can appear in vanilla modded (possibly vanilla too?). Their parts will even appear in you inventory. However if you have enough parts to complete a mech from DLC, the mech and parts to complete it just vanish into the ether. Driving me nuts since I should have gotten my hand on a new Crab and there appears to be no way for me to actually get it unless I by the DLC it was added in.

Of course I realize everyone's talking about the deal on the DLC and Season Pass just above in the thred, so perhaps I'll dip into my birthday lucre to get it and hope that lets me get that mech - I was perplexed the first time it happened so I reloaded the pre-mission save and restarted until I got the Crab as the assassination target again and made sure to save in mission a couple times so I can reload and see if I get it once the DLC is activated.

Perhaps this doesn't happen in the vanilla version and I have no one else to blame but myself for modding, but I feel you shouldn't have DLC mechs appear at all if you can't salvage them into working mechs. That's definitely qualified by happening in non-modded vanilla mind you.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Perhaps no better use of birthday lucre... :wink:

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Indeed. I did exactly that. I get an error from Steam about a problem with the config file and fully installing the DLC, but the Extended 3025 mods loads, the DLC is registered as install on the home screen, and my save files load with no issue. Most importantly, I got my Crab! I have a feeling I might not get all of the new features of the DLC during this career run (no flashpoints or urban biomes), but I can live with that and will worry about all of that when my career is done, the next release of EX3025 is out, and I can upgrade to BT1.7.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
    ironsizide wrote: »
    Indeed. I did exactly that. I get an error from Steam about a problem with the config file and fully installing the DLC, but the Extended 3025 mods loads, the DLC is registered as install on the home screen, and my save files load with no issue. Most importantly, I got my Crab! I have a feeling I might not get all of the new features of the DLC during this career run (no flashpoints or urban biomes), but I can live with that and will worry about all of that when my career is done, the next release of EX3025 is out, and I can upgrade to BT1.7.

Yeah, Steam threw that same error hissy-fit at me too, but it started up fine and looked like everything was in place.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    ironsizide wrote: »

I don't know if BEX breaks anything, but I know even with running other mods that DLC content shows up in in-progress games. You shouldn't need to restart. You may just have to wait a bit for the flashpoint events to start kicking off. To get a chance at an urban map contract, you'll need to be in a system with an urban biome first. Of course the enemies are random too, so you can go a long time before seeing the new mechs in the field.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.

Peer pressure!

Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Played my first Urban biome last night. An assassination mission for 1.5 stars while I'm running 3 heavies and a Med.

My main character, in a Catapult with a Cockpit mod, still managed to get headshot by a Commando and is out 120 days.

I had to double check that I wasn't playing XCOM with some sort of mech mod.

• MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    My main character, in a Catapult with a Cockpit mod, still managed to get headshot by a Commando and is out 120 days.

How the heck did you manage to get your head blown off by a Commando of all things? Did it hit with both LL and ML in the same round? That's a proper 1 in a 10000 chance if it did.

Simple 2 skull battle turns out to be vs. two opposing lances each containing an armor damaged assault. Good salvage opportunity!

Unfortunately things don't go exactly as planned and I end up losing a Centurion and Griffin (not so bad) and my two best pilots (super bad.) On the other hand...

Now I have an Atlas. Ho ho ho.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So I've had a couple of attack and defend missions now, and honestly I'm not finding them too bad; The first one gave me an allied lance (3 locusts and a crab) and had a Thunderbolt as part of the initial wave of enemies wit some light mechs as part of the defenses (including a PPC urbanmech) and while my lance support was kinda trash I was still able to mop up the opposition and stomp the enemy base before the first mech wave could land and my buildings were pristine.

Second was also a success with a whole lot of light mechs, an enforcer (which immediately died to a penetrating head shot from my orion) and once again I was rushing the enemy base. This time, there were no additional defenders aside from some turrets, but the game decided to be an asshole and land a full lance of lrm locusts on my flank which nearly cost me the mission due to them being able to bombard the shit out my base which was apparently made of tissue paper. If I hadn't held my brand spanking new thunderbolt in reserve this would have been a wipe since my heavy lance didn't have the speed to double back.

Overall, I'd say that the Attack and defend is certainly a change of pace, but it's absolutely doable as long as you make a steady push to the enemy base and entangle opposition forces as quickly as possible. Best to treat it as an Xcom mission.

@Gaddez is that before or after the last patch, which supposedly balanced them?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I haven't played with the latest patch, but they were punishing as hell previously unless you were seriously over-gunned for the nominal difficulty!