As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Squad sub leaders!

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    So... I noticed something.

One of the things I was hoping to do was do everything I couldn't do in the main game after I used Iceborne to make things easier. I couldn't play it enough or knew enough personal friends playing it to grind through a lot of the end stuff.

Specifically I don't have the temporal and rocksteady mantles. Now I had the assignment for the temporal on standby before I started Iceborne. That assignment is gone now.

Now I do get the idea of not making it too easy to get the challenging stuff. However... I just paid $40 or $50 for an expansion where a big perk of it is to get really nice armor and weapons.

Basically if they're blocking everyone not hardcore enough to get all the mantles in the main game from EVER getting them in the future installments, that's... shit. That's REALLY shit.

I got the rocksteady mantle after starting Iceborne.

Stupid/obvious question, but you know that if you open the quest board, then back out, there's an additional menu where they've completely split low/high rank and master rank. All the previous stuff is still there, at least it was for me. The game just kind of auto opens to the last rank option you did, so it's super easy to not notice.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular

One of the things I was hoping to do was do everything I couldn't do in the main game after I used Iceborne to make things easier. I couldn't play it enough or knew enough personal friends playing it to grind through a lot of the end stuff.

Specifically I don't have the temporal and rocksteady mantles. Now I had the assignment for the temporal on standby before I started Iceborne. That assignment is gone now.

Now I do get the idea of not making it too easy to get the challenging stuff. However... I just paid $40 or $50 for an expansion where a big perk of it is to get really nice armor and weapons.

Basically if they're blocking everyone not hardcore enough to get all the mantles in the main game from EVER getting them in the future installments, that's... shit. That's REALLY shit.

Stupid/obvious question, but you know that if you open the quest board, then back out, there's an additional menu where they've completely split low/high rank and master rank. All the previous stuff is still there, at least it was for me. The game just kind of auto opens to the last rank option you did, so it's super easy to not notice.

No, I'm aware of the different places for the quests. I'll have to check again tomorrow because I have to pack up my stuff in the hotel room, but I had zero special assignments looking just ten minutes ago. It won't even let me go to the option.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Questor wrote: »
    So my friend's badgering finally got me to buy this (that and being able to get it for $15 AU) so I just started last night by making a character and doing the very intro stuff - just got to Astera.
    Looking forward to diving in

What platform?

PC - I don't do Sony/MS consoles as most stuff seems to be on PC at some point anyway. That and I love the wacky Nintendo stuff :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    man it feels good to be out of high rank shit and into a full master rank set

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Can I state how weird it feels to actually have to pay attention to elemental and status defense stuff after spending the entirety of the base game big dicking in my unga bunga set?

Also my annoyance at hunting Rathalos and not a single fellwing or claw talon for the fourth time in a row the desire sensor is real god damn!

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    So my friend's badgering finally got me to buy this (that and being able to get it for $15 AU) so I just started last night by making a character and doing the very intro stuff - just got to Astera.
    Looking forward to diving in

What platform?

PC - I don't do Sony/MS consoles as most stuff seems to be on PC at some point anyway. That and I love the wacky Nintendo stuff :)

Awesome! If you ever want a helping hunting hand hanging around, feel free to shoot me a friend invite and ping me! Presuming I'm not working (I'm technically off work at 6pm PTZ), I'm usually game for hunting!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    21 hours of playtime in, and i feel like i finally need to farm gear.

i also got carted for the first time in world, whoops.
    i beat the story nergigante and then got overconfident on the sidequest.
    then it carted me again because oh yeah, food bonuses wear off when you cart.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    So the Velkhana battle real fun, enjoy hunting it.

The armour set
    Increases attacks on Crit with elemental damage. Also has a skill that increases damage while sheathed that builds up in a separate bar. It’s a real good set

Also here’s a stupid death that caught me off guard.

https://youtu.be/rEkTvMsjSVs

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Last night as I was farming my Legiana+ armor we got a Legiana that really, really liked to run. So it was constantly climb up four levels, then jump off a ledge, then clime something else, etc... I was so happy I could call a Shamos to do all the climbing for me. Such a great feature. It was made extra fun by my buddy not having a mount on the Highlands so he had to make all the trips on foot.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Any verdict on how the Greatsword changes feel in Iceborne? I totally fell in love with the weapon in World, so i'm real keen to hear how Iceborne's treating it.

Also interested in hearing how Dual blades are going

everything i have heard is that great sword and HBG are the 2 best weapons in iceborne

I am tempted to give GS a try but I don't particularly enjoy slow weapons

LBG, SnS, DBs for me

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

No, I'm aware of the different places for the quests. I'll have to check again tomorrow because I have to pack up my stuff in the hotel room, but I had zero special assignments looking just ten minutes ago. It won't even let me go to the option.

It's an optional quest, not a special assignment.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Any verdict on how the Greatsword changes feel in Iceborne? I totally fell in love with the weapon in World, so i'm real keen to hear how Iceborne's treating it.

Also interested in hearing how Dual blades are going

So for GS you can now do this: https://gfycat.com/meekidlegreendarnerdragonfly-monster-hunter-world-iceborne-beta

Dual Blades didn't change much, there's a somewhat useful new dodge that comes from hitting L2 after doing an attack with triangle, your hunter will shoot some slinger ammo and do a dive, it has a good amount of iframes it seems. You can also grab on to the monster with the clutch claw by finishing the pirouette combo in demon mode, then pressing L2. Your hunter will do a jumping attack, if you press triangle during this animation, you won't grab on to the monster, and just hit it and then jump away from it instead.

In other things, this is pure conjecture, but it seems they've tried to incentivize killing instead of capturing, because several of the carved item descriptions very specifically say "Obtained from carving" and for example, it's the only way I've been able to get Rathian Surspikes, by carving her tail. When I've killed a monster instead of trapping them, I've had better luck getting rare materials.

Someone will probably have to do the math to see if this really changed from MHW.

As for getting the Rocksteady/Temporal mantles, make sure you go to the Research center or whatever the boat with the boss lady is callled. There's a questline there you need to complete before you can do the 3 quests that unlock the temporal mantle (It's the Lunastra questline). For Rocksteady, you need to have hunted 3 different threat lv3 tempered monsters (Deviljho, Elder dragons) so that the "Summons from below" quest shows up.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I've seen tons of hype for LS and hammer too, hell, even IG. It seems like the combination of extra moves and clutch claw really added a lot of great new dynamics and I weep that I have to wait until January.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    I really like the clutch claw mounting mechanic, it's similar to the one in Dragon's dogma, but you need to know when to do it, otherwise you'll get bonked right off with damage to yourself. When they first announced it I thought it would be spammable.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Speaking of which.... WHERES MY DRAGONS DOGMA CROSSOVER CAPCOM!!!

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I really like the clutch claw mounting mechanic, it's similar to the one in Dragon's dogma, but you need to know when to do it, otherwise you'll get bonked right off with damage to yourself. When they first announced it I thought it would be spammable.

Hopping between my Iceborne'd PS4 hunter back to PC, and I'm really missing that clutch claw. It just feels so damned good.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Speaking of which.... WHERES MY DRAGONS DOGMA CROSSOVER CAPCOM!!!

Jagras hunt in packs, partner!

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    "It's weak to fire!"

Liar! Nothing is weak to fire in World.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

It's an optional quest, not a special assignment.

So I'm home and double checked everything, checked all optional quests for Master and High rank. I do not have the mission for the Temporal Mantle anymore, and the blacksmith doesn't give it anymore. I'm kinda worried that my save has been bugged, the blacksmith even still talked about Teostra eating gunpowder and found his way to the arena that way. So I'm pretty sure it acknowledges that I finished Pandora's Arena. But the other mission has literally vanished, and I'm starting to get pissed.

Oh, I also checked a specific guide. Turns out No Remorse, No Surrender is a Special Assignment, and in fact not an optional mission. So it wouldn't show up there anyway.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    "It's weak to fire!"

Liar! Nothing is weak to fire in World.

Lavasioth may not be weak to fire, but using fire makes me less weak to Lavasioth, which is all right by me

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    So... found something...

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunterWorld/comments/d2m0nf/iceborn_dlcs_blocks_special_assignments/

Apparently if you have special assignments, and you're at the point where you have the Serious Handler temporarily... you cannot run special assignments.

Odd... but easily rectifiable. They might patch this later.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Who's the hammer main with two thumbs that just got a slide affinity/attack gem 4? This guy.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    So the table and chairs in your Seliana room have the same interactions as the ones in the Gathering Hub - you can toast, sing a jaunty tune, drink, or pass out at the table.

But your room is a solo-only area. So rather than being whimsical, those interactions tell the bleak story of a celebrated but desperately lonely hero who escapes a life of relentless violence through alcoholism.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    That TGS Rajang hunt gameplay

I'm in danger.

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Huh, I'd been looking forward to Glavenus weapons as nice looking dual blades with blast, since the Dios ones look the way they do, but just realised today that those are from the Deviant version and base Glave is fire damage.

Oops. I'd completely forgotten that detail and now I've disapointed myself.

Well, looking it up, at least the variant Glavenus ones have really high raw and still look great?

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    But your room is a solo-only area.

I remember watching a pre-release video saying you could invite people to your room to show off your trophies. Maybe that got cut or pushed back?

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    So... found something...

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunterWorld/comments/d2m0nf/iceborn_dlcs_blocks_special_assignments/

Apparently if you have special assignments, and you're at the point where you have the Serious Handler temporarily... you cannot run special assignments.

oh, that makes sense. you'd have the wrong handler for the cutscenes.

just finish the section of the story you're on until you get the bad handler back

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    But your room is a solo-only area.

I remember watching a pre-release video saying you could invite people to your room to show off your trophies. Maybe that got cut or pushed back?
    I likewise remember hearing that the ability to invite other players into your room will be included in a future update.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    So... found something...

just finish the section of the story you're on until you get the bad handler back

And it's only like 2-3 quests right?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    So... found something...

And it's only like 2-3 quests right?

sadly

just make sure you do the steamworks at least once during that time

edit: for clarity - I like the handler. but serious handler is still better

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    i got a peak performance/recovery up deco

my kingdom for a health augment

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Oh my god, I love the wyrmstake loading.

Knock an ammo off the monster, load it, put a mine on the stupid monster that hits for an additional 60 every time I do a charged shot with my zorah mag gunlance. So like 130 damage or so total with every charged shot, hardness ignoring. And just seems to last for-freaking-ever with special slinger ammo loaded.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    I was doing the Tempered Beotodus with the BoaBoa fight and it killed itself by causing the avalanche. That was a fun fight, so many tiny spears flying through the air.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    oh my god fuck the viper kodachi and whatever sadist designed this thing

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    i got a peak performance/recovery up deco

my kingdom for a health augment

You can "buy" health boost gems at the melding pot now. Buy as in trade old gems for points, obviously. But they added a few new ones, mainly anything relating to health and defense. Almost like they knew people would be wanting them.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    are there any midgame lance centric sets? particularly offensive guard, which i can't really slot in

Elendil on
  • Options
    On the note of Offensive guard, I just found out today that you can use it with SnS. 15% atk for 12 sec is not a bad little buff

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    i might jump into building a set at glav or narga

they're both a little thin on slots, but those set bonuses are superb

I literally came here to post to brainstorm about building a set off the Nargi armor for Insect Glaive.

Im thin on slots, and dont have the best decos, but I'm also not sure what I should be going for in the first place

The new flight skill making airborn attacks +30% instead of 15% is so tempting, and I like having master mounter so that @Romantic Undead is less likely to steal my mounts...but I dont know how to fit all that in there, and the set itself sacrifices a lot of attack skill ranks

>:[

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    i might jump into building a set at glav or narga

they're both a little thin on slots, but those set bonuses are superb

I literally came here to post to brainstorm about building a set off the Nargi armor for Insect Glaive.

Im thin on slots, and dont have the best decos, but I'm also not sure what I should be going for in the first place

The new flight skill making airborn attacks +30% instead of 15% is so tempting, and I like having master mounter so that @Romantic Undead is less likely to steal my mounts...but I dont know how to fit all that in there, and the set itself sacrifices a lot of attack skill ranks

>:[

Ouch, singling me out like that feels a little uncalled for. My forward dash attack, which I rely on to close distance with monsters, can automatically become a jump attack if I use it on a slope or near a ledge. Do you think I'm intentionally trying to steal your mounts, or do you believe that if there's an insect glaive user on the team, courtesy demands I avoid ever making a jump attack?

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531