As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What is your favorite sword?

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Narsil, all done broke
    Perrsun wrote: »
    No Zulfiqar? No Master Sword? No Durendal? No Sting?

This poll is a complete farce!

Sting's more like a dagger

No he’s a wrestler.

No he's a lutist.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Perrsun wrote: »

Sting's more like a dagger

No he’s a wrestler.

No he's a lutist.

No, he’s a stalker.

edited September 2019
    Narsil, all done broke
    I once saw an interview with Sting where he said Every Step You Take is clearly creepy as fuck and he doesn't know why people treat it as a love song and I'm like I dunno maybe cause you released it as a crooning ballad with a heartfelt bridge

Nobody mistakes One Way or Another for a love song, funny that.

tynic on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    other
    I once saw an interview with Sting where he said Every Step You Take is clearly creepy as fuck and he doesn't know why people treat it as a love song and I'm like I dunno maybe cause you released it as a crooning ballad with a heartfelt bridge

I always want to call Sting Gordon Shumway before I remember that that is ALF and Sting's name is Gordon Sumner.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    other
    no Estoc? come on homie, this is day one stuff

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    other
    There was a real good Robert E. Howard short story about a caveman who made the first sword by accident and then fucking wrecked the place because what are the other cavemen going to do against the only sword in the world?

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The Sword of Goujian is QUITE baller

YtIGe7S.jpg
    The Sword of Goujian is an archaeological artifact of the Spring and Autumn period (771–403 BC) found in 1965 in Hubei, China. Cast in tin bronze, it is renowned for its unusual sharpness and resistance to tarnish rarely seen in artifacts so old.

The sword of Goujian is 55.6 centimetres in length, including an 8.4 centimetres hilt; the blade is 4.6 centimetres wide at its base. The sword weighs 875 grams. In addition to the repeating dark rhombi pattern on both sides of the blade, there are decorations of blue crystals and turquoise. The grip of the sword is bound by silk, while the pommel is composed of eleven concentric circles.

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    other
    Butler wrote: »
    There was a real good Robert E. Howard short story about a caveman who made the first sword by accident and then fucking wrecked the place because what are the other cavemen going to do against the only sword in the world?

Smash it with their clubs I expect

Narsil, all done broke
    Butler wrote: »

Bet he was really trying to make a ploughshare but funding only ever goes to military applications

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    ALL-BLACK THE NECROSWORD, THE ANNIHILABLADE, THE SLICER OF W
    The Chicago Art Institute has a real nice collection of weapons and armor from various old times. My favorite is a Spanish short sword that you would stab someone with, and then its also a really basic musket so you stab em and then shoot em and its like, fuck thats such a good but also dick move

Narsil, all done broke
    Muskets had a pretty high chance of just blowing up in your hand so it’s kind of a last resort pyrrhic attack anyway.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    The Chicago Art Institute has a real nice collection of weapons and armor from various old times. My favorite is a Spanish short sword that you would stab someone with, and then its also a really basic musket so you stab em and then shoot em and its like, fuck thats such a good but also dick move

I loved those swords in Black Flag.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular

Pumped up kicks is a song about a school shooter.

And who let the dogs out is a song about ugly people ruining a party by showing up.

It dosent matter what you say anymore, its how you say it.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    FUCK YEAH

GIMMIE THE BIG STUPID ANIME SWORDS
    9r1uD8Vl.jpg

LONGER
    Ga5Knn0.png

WIDER
    SyV71gml.jpg

THICKER
    KDuLgZSl.jpg

VEINIER
    yeI4V6Dl.jpg

OVERCOMPENSATE A BIT
    LtzbIWo.jpg

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    other
    I choose Augers sword from Asura' s Wrath

It can grow from normal size to 250k miles long.
    That's not enough to kill Asura, who takes the broken blade in his mouth to slash his opponent.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Keyblade

Seriously, this, for me.

The Master Sword and the Keyblade (Kingdom Key ftw) are the two video-game based swords I hold in high reverence.

Lightsaber would be a close third.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    https://darksouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Balder+Side+Sword

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    other
    buster sword gets top spot but not one mention of The Revolver smdh

squall-ffrk.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Narsil, all done broke
    The sword in my D&D campaign that my character has

It's a rapier, and my DM and I have decided that the weird, interlocking blue script is actually circuitry, and it's actually an artifact of a long-lost civilization what has an AI living in it

We Zelda Now

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    other
    Falchion is where my sword romance is at. Hack and Slash

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    other
    FACT: ff8's gunblades shoot no bullets, instead the firing mechanism is used entirely to inflict extra damage by vibrating the blade as it slices through targets

uc3ufTB.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    other
    FACT: ff8's gunblades shoot no bullets, instead the firing mechanism is used entirely to inflict extra damage by vibrating the blade as it slices through targets

NEEERRRRRRD

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Sword of Omens

Why not put a motor in it instead then?

Like the red queen.

Tallahasseeriel on
    A huge vibrating sword is simply too erotic for a children's entertainment product

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

other
    that's practical edgy, we're aiming for like middle school edgy here

uc3ufTB.png
    Whence comes this notion that a vibrating knife cuts better than a non vibrating knife it occurs pretty often in your schlock scifi is there anything to it I am not a physicist

Narsil, all done broke
    if you vibrate fast enough the molecule movement induced by the vibration will cut you without the sword even touching your body
    i think this is how those electric fat buster belts work anyway

other
    Motorblade sounds like a pretty good metal band.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Whence comes this notion that a vibrating knife cuts better than a non vibrating knife it occurs pretty often in your schlock scifi is there anything to it I am not a physicist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfPydk6RJzY

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    My favorite blade is a Beyblade.

Let it rip!

It goes by 2Bladez now.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    w9uekwm190ak.jpg

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Urumi, the wiggliest sword
    Urumi is clearly the best.

Tungar.png

And it ain’t some ridiculous fantasy weapon made up for a neat-looking game. It’s a ridiculous real weapon.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=eMAsCuDFSUI

Enlong on
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    other
    FF14's gunblades of the Hrothgar tradition are just sword-shaped magic foci. The powder cartridges are a reagent that you use to channel spells through the sword. Mostly spells that look like the FF8 Gunblade limit breaks, but also you can do things like blast a bunch of energy through your sword to make a shield for yourself and your allies, or point it behind you and direct the energy like a rocket for a quick burst of speed. Or, if you insist, you can charge a bunch of energy into the blade and then swing it like a lacrosse stick to flick the energy off the end as some kind of projectile. But that's not an effective damage dealing technique, so you only do it to get enemy's attention and drag them closer to you so you can smack them with the traditional vibrating strikes.

In contrast, the gunblades of the Garlean Empire are just shitty skinny swords with a rifle built in, and no one is particularly impressed by them. Although they also do have gun-hammers and gun-forearm-blades and gun-shield-boxing-gloves, which are slightly more interesting looking.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Urumi, the wiggliest sword
    FF14's gunblades of the Hrothgar tradition are just sword-shaped magic foci. The powder cartridges are a reagent that you use to channel spells through the sword. Mostly spells that look like the FF8 Gunblade limit breaks, but also you can do things like blast a bunch of energy through your sword to make a shield for yourself and your allies, or point it behind you and direct the energy like a rocket for a quick burst of speed. Or, if you insist, you can charge a bunch of energy into the blade and then swing it like a lacrosse stick to flick the energy off the end as some kind of projectile. But that's not an effective damage dealing technique, so you only do it to get enemy's attention and drag them closer to you so you can smack them with the traditional vibrating strikes.

In contrast, the gunblades of the Garlean Empire are just shitty skinny swords with a rifle built in, and no one is particularly impressed by them. Although they also do have gun-hammers and gun-forearm-blades and gun-shield-boxing-gloves, which are slightly more interesting looking.

My favorite gunblade factoid is that apparently guns are named for Gunblades, which came first.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    other
    I like a good arming sword or maybe a rapier. Katzbalgers are real nice:

bqKSOOi.jpg

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The Sword of Goujian is QUITE baller

YtIGe7S.jpg
    The Sword of Goujian is an archaeological artifact of the Spring and Autumn period (771–403 BC) found in 1965 in Hubei, China. Cast in tin bronze, it is renowned for its unusual sharpness and resistance to tarnish rarely seen in artifacts so old.

The sword of Goujian is 55.6 centimetres in length, including an 8.4 centimetres hilt; the blade is 4.6 centimetres wide at its base. The sword weighs 875 grams. In addition to the repeating dark rhombi pattern on both sides of the blade, there are decorations of blue crystals and turquoise. The grip of the sword is bound by silk, while the pommel is composed of eleven concentric circles.

That's pretty fuckin sweet

Narsil, all done broke
    Glad I didn't pick poop on THIS poll

1569z1dfzbqi.jpeg

... actually hang on, I'd better alert the webcomics thread

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    other
    Brolo wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfPydk6RJzY

Holy shit that's really the actual demo video! It seems like she's never used one before!

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    xbgfk0ag6ols.png