As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Don't worry, Remedy have everything under [Control]

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    The Pierce gun is nice for one-shots on enemies that are too far away to lock on to with Launch. But the other two just worse than Grip at everything.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Man... the rambling really reminds me of Pontypool.

GO ON...........

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I used Spin a bunch when I got it, but eventually went back to Grip. Spin's reticle just blooms too much for normal combat for me. I also got big damage mods and put them on Grip. And "ammo usage reduction while floating" mods that I put on Spin. Which I got up to like 95%. So as long as I'm in the air, I can fire with Spin almost forever. It's fun, if not super useful.

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Loving this, but… [optional boss spoilers]
    Jeez, Tommasi is putting me through the ringer. The adds are no big deal; even the Invisible Hiss Vomit guy is simple to enough to dash away from, but I just can't figure out out to make this fight anything other than a fight of attrition, which Tommasi—with his regenerating shield—inevitably wins.

While it's possible to hit him with thrown objects, I certainly can't do it dependably (nor, I think, does the game want me to do it this way). My stalwart Grip is ineffective, and the only other weapon I've really found a use for in any context—Spin—doesn't really help with him, though it's great for the aforementioned Invisible Hiss Vomiter. I've seen Pierce suggested, but the rate of fire makes it feel… less than viable.

Anyone have any pointers? I think this is the only optional boss I haven't taken down. (I've beaten Former, the Anchor, Former again, Mold-1, and esseJ.)

Sneaks on
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    ok the ability that lets you grab mans and make them fight for you is Good. Can't wait to try out the upgraded version that (hopefully?) lets me grab the HP restore guys.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Sneaks wrote: »
    Jeez, Tommasi is putting me through the ringer. The adds are no big deal; even the Invisible Hiss Vomit guy is simple to enough to dash away from, but I just can't figure out out to make this fight anything other than a fight of attrition, which Tommasi—with his regenerating shield—inevitably wins.

While it's possible to hit him with thrown objects, I certainly can't do it dependably (nor, I think, does the game want me to do it this way). My stalwart Grip is ineffective, and the only other weapon I've really found a use for in any context—Spin—doesn't really help with him, though it's great for the aforementioned Invisible Hiss Vomiter. I've seen Pierce suggested, but the rate of fire makes it feel… less than viable.

Anyone have any pointers? I think this is the only optional boss I haven't taken down. (I've beaten Former, the Anchor, Former again, Mold-1, and esseJ.)
    Use Pierce.
    If you have the +damage when zoomed mod, a single shot takes 2/3 of his shields or 1/5 of his health.
    Still much faster than plinking away with Grip or Spin.

And that’s before the extra damage/mods you can use now that it can be upgraded after today’s patch

• Options
    Whenever I enslave enemies with Seize, I end up accidentally killing them with Launched objects within a few seconds. They tend to charge directly at the nearest enemy, which is also usually the guy I'm about to fling cement at. Either that or I accidentally dome them with an object I'm pulling towards myself from across the room. I feel so bad every time, sorry guys!

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Seized guys could be a lot less docile. I took a trooper at one point and he just stood there, watching the ranger shotgun him repeatedly in the face. Eventually he deigned to spin up his minigun to eat off half the ranger's HP but it's certainly nothing like the continuous barrage of bullets and grenades they are in un-seized form. Same with the shieldy guys. Flying chair dudes generally do good work on the blue team, though.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I’m now wondering why the mold launchers are so extremely powerful. I’m at one of Ahti’s missions and I am having trouble making out where they are before dying.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Ending:
    I haven't actually finished it, I'm at the slide projector.

But jfc that fakeout ending was amazing. I saw credits start to roll and felt extremely let down, started thinking about what they meant by that ending. Then saw I could read a sentence looping around the screen in credits, then it went nuts. Then for a second I thought when they spawn you back to collect mugs was a troll like "this is eternity now bye". Then it progressed again.

Amazing

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Smurph wrote: »
    Whenever I enslave enemies with Seize, I end up accidentally killing them with Launched objects within a few seconds. They tend to charge directly at the nearest enemy, which is also usually the guy I'm about to fling cement at. Either that or I accidentally dome them with an object I'm pulling towards myself from across the room. I feel so bad every time, sorry guys!
    Honk wrote: »
    I’m now wondering why the mold launchers are so extremely powerful. I’m at one of Ahti’s missions and I am having trouble making out where they are before dying.

so neither of those things are what you use Seize for.

You upgrade it until you get to the "Seize Large Mans" (minibosses) ability

And then you Seize Hiss Clusters.

They heal you. Know how everyone's been like "Where's my heal over time???" That's where. *edit* They ALSO heal ALL allied units. Other guys you've Seized, regular NPCs hanging out, all of 'em. And if you get two, they heal each other in a continual feedback loop. Get yourself some Cluster Buddies and NEVER DIE.

https://www.reddit.com/r/controlgame/comments/d21dnq/psa_hiss_clusters_are_your_friends/

IN ADDITION: You can apparently GENTLY PUT DOWN OBJECTS you've TK lifted by pressing F (on PC). TI freakin L. This lets you stack boxes to potentially cheese stuff before you get Levitate.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    If it can’t be stacked by being thrown it doesn’t need to be stacked.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    New patch notes for September 10th:
    Hi everyone! We’re thrilled to announce that the latest update for Control is OUT NOW on PlayStation 4. Since launch, Remedy have been listening to community feedback and working flat out behind the scenes on Control.

To our Xbox One and PC players, DO NOT PANIC! This update is heading your way very soon.

As many of you will know, bug fixing and submission times vary across each platform, which is why we’re not out on all formats yet! All being well, we won’t keep you waiting very long. Stay tuned to our social media channels for more info.

In the meantime, take a look at what you can expect as part of our latest update…

General
    – Bug and crash fixes to missions, combat and overall game play.
    – Fixed multiple issues with the PC launcher related to DX11/DX12 crashes.

Performance
    – Improved title stability on all platforms.
    – Improved general frame-rate performance through optimisations made to multiple systems and content.

UI
    – Improved map loading times (map will no longer tease information).
    – Motion Blur On/Off toggle added to Options menu.
    – Film Grain On/Off toggle added to Options menu.
    – Fixed incorrect UI behaviour on ultra-wide monitors (PC).
    – Fixed multiple issues when incorrect subtitles are shown for multiple languages.
    – Fixed issue when the game centres the aim on Jesse’s head.
    – Fixed multiple UI related issues.

Progression
    – Fixed an issue when player could not acquire ‘Pierce Charging Efficiency’ and ‘Spin Grouping Efficiency’ upgrade.
    – Fixed issue when Crafting Charge and personal Mods would not give the Weapon/Mod but take the materials (Sorry. The Board was greedy).
    – Fixed issue that prevented players activating the Pierce weapon form upgrade.
    – Fixed issue when Jesse is unable to cleanse the ‘Transit Corridor South’ Control point upon returning from Prime Candidate Program area in the mission The Face of the Enemy.
    – Fixed an issue when Heptonstall would not spawn during certain story missions in the “Old Friends” side-mission (still looking for his buddy Remus).
    – Fixed issue when Hiss Barrier remains in the Directorial Override mission’s Control Room if the player dies during the binding cut scene.

Sound
    – Fixed issue when certain licensed music tracks play after enabling the ‘Mute Copyrighted Tracks’ option.
    – Fixed and issue when audio is out of sync in the Dr Darling videos (PS4).

Misc
    – Fixed issue with the Charge weapon forms erroneous blast radius causing (way) too much visual damage to the environments.
    – Fixed an issue where game would stall when completing a story mission and unlocking a trophy (PS4).

Once again, we want to thank our brilliant players for their amazing support. We can’t wait to tell you more about what we’re up to behind the scenes. In the meantime, have a great week and we’ll speak to you soon.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Shit. Anyone else still can't upgrade Pierce?

• Options
    Never mind, just had to die again and it popped up in the menu

• Options
    edited September 2019
    If it can’t be stacked by being thrown it doesn’t need to be stacked.

my army of smol mans disagrees

*edit* Wait, no, you meant the "use F to drop things gently" in which case I agree, if it shatters upon yeeting it was meant to be shattered

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Use Pierce.
    If you have the +damage when zoomed mod, a single shot takes 2/3 of his shields or 1/5 of his health.
    Still much faster than plinking away with Grip or Spin.

And that’s before the extra damage/mods you can use now that it can be upgraded after today’s patch
    The incredible unlikelihood of me ever hitting anything with Pierce is something mods can't fix (not even the one for accuracy)… but I did find a solution:
    That solution: get hiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

Get up the stairs in the rear of the arena. Tommasi can and will occasionally fly up to this height, but is mostly content to fling things at you from below. But if he's looking up to throw shit at you, then he's not looking down at all the shit you can pick up to throw at him. Suddenly, your success rate with Launch goes way up.

And use Shield liberally.

Sneaks on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    He has absolutely followed me up to the highest scaffolding level

Edit: he's literally up here in my grill right now

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    you don't even need to let the object come to you to throw it at something. once it starts to levitate it's good to go.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Results may vary, I guess. Maybe he just took pity on me.

Sneaks on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Results may vary, I guess. Maybe he just took pity on me.

/puts on "I did Videogame QA hat for a while"

it likely depends either on a.) system, if you guys used different systems or b.) he got snagged on a random bit of geometry in @Sneaks game and got stuck.

Source: I've actually been cheesing the AI in this game by deliberately trying to stick it to geometry using techniques I learned while working in the QA trenches :| It doesn't always work (sometimes the geo is very clean in this game!) but when it works, you can just be like "k sit tight there pal while I murder your buddies for HP" and he does

This is still a pretty bad design failure tho; if your *players* are resorting to QA techniques to break your AI so they can get past something, you have Fucked Up.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    edited September 2019

it likely depends either on a.) system, if you guys used different systems or b.) he got snagged on a random bit of geometry in @Sneaks game and got stuck.
    PS4, and he definitely wasn't stuck. He was moving around the whole time (thus my failure to use Pierce effectively), even up onto my level for a bit (nothing Shield couldn't handle), but he didn't ever want to stay there for too long.

Sneaks on
  • Options

PS4, and he definitely wasn't stuck. He was moving around the whole time (thus my failure to use Pierce effectively), even up onto my level for a bit (nothing Shield couldn't handle), but he didn't ever want to stay there for too long.

That's still Stuck, but in an obscure backend Vidya Gaem Dev sense, not Stuck as in he can't move. His AI was hung up on something or other that was keeping him from being an ass to you. Which... frankly, even trying to explain that to fellow devs is a lost cause, we usually are just like /shrug, because hell if we can ID the cause.

• Options
    you don't even need to let the object come to you to throw it at something. once it starts to levitate it's good to go.

It generally has to be closer to you than the target. But you can totally throw things that can't get to you due to walls and stuff being in the way.
    You can also pull an object that's behind a dude, hitting him as it comes toward you and doing full Launch damage, then throw it in his face once it's on the near side.

• Options
    Well he's dust now so no worries anymore

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I was able to complete the Old Friends mission after the patch, PC.

• Options

It generally has to be closer to you than the target. But you can totally throw things that can't get to you due to walls and stuff being in the way.
    You can also pull an object that's behind a dude, hitting him as it comes toward you and doing full Launch damage, then throw it in his face once it's on the near side.

IDK, I've yet to not be able to quickly grab and toss something outside of auto aim/assist or whatever precision issues. From forklifts to vending machines, once it starts to move it's gone along its merry way.

Sucks that you can't lob toilet paper.

• Options
    Once you are pulling something and a reticle pops up on a dude, you can chuck it

That's often surprisingly early

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Tommassi:
    So I used to be able to wait until a banshee uncloaks and then clock them with a quick launch, that would stagger them and they wouldn’t get their attack out. It doesn’t work with these ones for one reason or another. Again kind of a dick move to have a boss ad that does 90% damage in one hit. I’m gonna guess they don’t stop spawning either.

Edit: For some reason I wasn't aware you could damage them while they were invisible, due to the lack of response because they're invisible. That helped!

Honk on
  • Options
    Objects are also perfectly lethal while being pulled toward you, so you can use that by making sure there are enemies between you and an object. Grabbing an object from across the room, killing 1 or 2 guys with it while it travels to you, and then killing whoever's left by launching it is very fun.

• Options
    I wonder how many secret areas I've missed, I just found two in Central Research - one of which was fairly large and had a funny/poopmypants thing in it.

I've been flying around everywhere I could think of but who can say.

Typing this I just realized I haven't yet been into the place via the furnace.

• Options
    Absurdity MatrixAbsurdity Matrix Tumbledown Glory On the OutskirtsRegistered User regular
    What counts as a secret area is sometimes a little "funny".

Stand slightly higher in a side room than you ordinarily could? Get a skill point!

Go towards the light. Nothing there? Completely empty? But what's this behind your ear? It's a skill point!

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    There's at least one really good secret room. All I can say is once you get Levitate, get curious. There's quite a few.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Finished the main story last night...

Here be some possibly serious spoilers:
    I can't say the end was very satisfying after how amazing the first 80% of the game was. It felt rushed and didn't answer some questions I felt players had earned some kind of answer to, even if it was a cliffhanger answer.

That said overall I was super pleased with the main story and plan to keep doing end-game stuff to discover more collectables and secrets. A couple of things I'm pretty sure I picked up on during the game:

- Ex-Director Northmoor is the power source for the NSC and was possibly the first Prime Candidate. I don't think this one is in much doubt if you've found a lot of stuff about the NSC and Northmoor. Arish even notes in his idle chatter at one point that Northmoor doesn't have a date of death listed in his file.

- Jesse and Dylan are quite possibly fractures of the same person? A lot of Dylan's Hiss chatter has to do with being an only child and being a copy of a copy of a copy. He also has some chatter with Jesse about how it's strange their names can be either boy or girl names and how Jesse Dylan Faden sounds like a complete name.

- I believe Darling may be part of Jesse's continued connection to the astral plain and the board. It was Polaris/Hadron before, but the fact that Darling spoke to her in the Hiss comma leads me to believe he ascended in some way.

- The Hiss/Hadron are two sides of the same entity or force. Possibly through some mirroring situation like the Self-Reflection side quest where you fight esseJ.

There's probably a lot more but that's just off the top of my head. There is so much rad lore to dig in to here. If the leaked info about the two paid expansions are true we may end up getting some answers to some of the larger questions left at the end of the main game.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Have people seen the DLC roadmap they announced today?

I'm not done with the game yet so I'm gonna bow out and then come back in a week or so, but holy fuck I'm excited.

Fall 2019: Full photo mode
    Winter 2019: A new, more challenging gameplay mode called "excursions"
    Early 2020: "The Foundation" - Full story episode in a new location within the Oldest House, exploring its history
    Mid 2020: "AWE" - Full story episode in a new location, exploring the "Investigations Department" dealing with Altered World Events.

But...look at this picture used for the "AWE" episode:
    6eib62m5poj5.png

THE TOP HALF OF THAT IMAGE IS THE ALAN WAKE TITLE SCREEN

ITS FUCKING ON NOW REMEDY, HOLY SHIT

My guesses, again, having not finished the story:
    AWE is a term even used in Quantum Break, so this early out they're very specific in the marketing to just call it AWE, and say its about Altered World Events.

...I bet anything its Alan Wake ________ when it happens. Maybe the board or the Bureau set up that whole scenario and it was the Alan Wake Experiment. Or maybe she finds his file and sees he's still trapped (although I think at the end of American Nightmare he's out?) and its Alan Wake Extraction?

I have no idea I'm just so excited. Maybe thats it. Alan Wake! Excitement!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Have people seen the DLC roadmap they announced today?

I'm not done with the game yet so I'm gonna bow out and then come back in a week or so, but holy fuck I'm excited.

Fall 2019: Full photo mode
    Winter 2019: A new, more challenging gameplay mode called "excursions"
    Early 2020: "The Foundation" - Full story episode in a new location within the Oldest House, exploring it's history
    Mid 2020: "AWE" - Full story episode in a new location, exploring the "Investigations Department" dealing with Altered World Events.

But...look at this picture used for the "AWE" episode:
    6eib62m5poj5.png

THE TOP HALF OF THAT IMAGE IS THE ALAN WAKE TITLE SCREEN

ITS FUCKING ON NOW REMEDY, HOLY SHIT

My guesses, again, having not finished the story:
    AWE is a term even used in Quantum Break, so this early out they're very specific in the marketing to just call it AWE, and say its about Altered World Events.

...I bet anything its Alan Wake ________ when it happens. Maybe the board or the Bureau set up that whole scenario and it was the Alan Wake Experiment. Or maybe she finds his file and sees he's still trapped (although I think at the end of American Nightmare he's out?) and its Alan Wake Extraction?

I have no idea I'm just so excited. Maybe thats it. Alan Wake! Excitement!
    There are several files in the game about Bright Falls and some that straight up talk about "Miss Wake" and her husband Alan. They've already sown the seeds.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Names:
    Alan Wake EXPUNGED
    Alan Wake Evaporated
    Alan Wake Eternal

• Options
    AWE DLC speculation
    As GnomeTank mentioned, there are several files in the game that explicitly talk about the events of Alan Wake.
    There's also a document which describes an instance where a sheet of paper was pushed out from under the door with the spiral on it in the motel with type-written text saying something along the lines of "I'm trapped and everything I think of becomes real".

My guess would be we get to open that door and go into Alan Wake's mindscape/altered Bright Falls to investigate.

As soon as the Hotline video, I think it was, said, "Even the best agents have only ever found a key to the black triangle door in the motel" I was instantly suspicious that I'd eventually need to go through more of those doors.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    re: the boi alan
    alan wake is a canon awe in control. the spiral door is the one hes behind based on the paper pushing. i was hoping u could mess with it in one of the oceanview motel sections but no luck afaict

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I'm so effing pumped for the DLC. Goddamn what a great game/universe

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin