As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's get this [job] thread!

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Go there with a big camera and act like you're taking photos for the event only to post the worst offenders online with the title "[Company] hosts African-American cultural appropriation party"

When you show up in a normal suit and someone in their mo-town costume asks what you're dressed as say "I'm dressed like a white person in the mo-town era, what are you dressed as?"

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Go in white face.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Go dressed as Moe from the Simpsons.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Was talking to my new team leader and I said damn while conversing and he said, "language" so I'm gonna have to watch myself. I'm mostly very conscious of word choice but I've never had management not be ok with the occasional damn.

He is a cool team leader and I absolutely don't mind, I'm pretty stoked to be joining the team.

I also felt kind of awkward because we were doing a team meeting and listened to a call from one of the agents in the training class who looked up whether someone graduated or not to see if they were eligible for a graduation reward. They looked at the most recent school entries that were 2016 to 2018 and didn't see any graduations.

I mentioned how on the call the person said they graduated in 2014 and they didn't scroll down on the list and we found the graduation date.

The awkwardness was because the agent had a mentor helping him on the call and he too didn't scroll down.

Gotta use that active listening. And scroll down. Scrolling down helps.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Damn isn't a cuss, it's in The Bible a whole lot. You can say it in G movies. I bet that same person would have scolded you for saying "Penis".

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Dress like the theme is "Motrin".

sig.gif
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    My wife came home from work with the invitation. Thankfully, while the evening will have some sort of Motown theme the invite specifies cocktail attire for dress. Presumably not Motown cocktail attire.

Whew.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

Ultimately I am very happy that we're moving towards making gig economy workers actual employees and giving them the pay and benefits they deserve, but also a bit worried about how this will all shake out with regards to using Uber to keep my head above water financially. Any uncertainty is always scary, and there's a lot up in the air with the passing of AB-5.

Maybe it's time to polish up the ol' resume and see if I can't find my way into a higher paying 9-5.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I mean, Motown fashion seems pretty open to whatever.
    1*zDdTgHbD48_3X3aT8bCt4w.jpeg

Except for guys, then it's just black suit and a bowtie.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    It's more of a cultural appropriation problem than a fashion faux pas

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I got asked for my references! So that's not a no!

I have no idea how I would answer this question now

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I bloody love the NHS.
    This waiting room is currently blasting out a bit of T Pain.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    Got a reply, mostly waffle.
    Ugh. Dubai.

I

Hated

Dubai.

Stay home.

I am literally 50/50 on the pros/cons of going vs staying and I think i'm gonna need to sleep on it.

How far up your pro list is "I will be warm for 2 days"?

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    I bloody love the NHS.

I hope you're not in for a lot of T-Pain

Last walk-in centre waiting room I was in the only entertainment was a looping video of adverts for a private healthcare provider that would get you seen quicker

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Don't take this the wrong way, Anon, but...

Where do you find these people? And with such consistency?

Small business owners are typically criminally deranged, at best.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Had two kids tell me they put me down as their favourite teacher.

Then one of them disclosed self harm to me.

My day!

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    I bloody love the NHS.

I hope you're not in for a lot of T-Pain

Last walk-in centre waiting room I was in the only entertainment was a looping video of adverts for a private healthcare provider that would get you seen quicker

Urgh that's not good!

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Of all the emails I could have missed, it had to be the one explaining that watermelon site tripled as number of patrols tonight

And by missed I mean it was never sent to me

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I got asked for my references! So that's not a no!

I have no idea how I would answer this question now

Generally if you don't have any managers on good terms you use personal refs. And while a recent ref is preferable you can generally do some digging back too, my impression is refs are just to check nothing is hidden vs actually still looking for a reason to hire/reject.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    So, this week at the high school is the lead up to next week's traditional Cabbage-based Olympics!
    From the roots of it's agricultural economy, the Cabbage-based Olympics were born in 1980. These field games were named in honor of the many cabbage fields, which until the 2000s, were still very prominent in the landscape. The Olympics occur every September as an inter-class competition, as the finale of the fall Associated Student Body (A.S.B) Week. Held on the football field, the competition consists of numerous events, most notably: The cabbage throw, Hula Hoop pass, tug of war, and pyramid building. Each class (sophomore, junior and senior) is awarded points for each event, tallied on large decorated posters. Points are also awarded for color unity (every class member wearing the class color), spirit, and mascot creativity. Traditionally, the class colors are Sophomore: White, Junior: Gold/Yellow, Senior: Blue. Each year a theme for the Olympics is chosen, Cartoon Characters for example, but the cabbage remains the overall emphasis each year. The only prizes for winning the Olympics are the substantial bragging rights, until the next year.

The events this year are:
    -- The Cabbage Drive
    -- The Cabbage Throw
    -- The Cabbage Trek
    -- Hula Hoop
    -- The Obstacle Course
    -- The Over-Under
    -- Poster/Mascot
    -- Pyramid
    -- Rock and Roll On
    -- The Shuttle Run
    -- Tug of War
    -- Volleyball

This year they introduced a new event and requested staff help coach it. I was the only staff member to apply for it, so I will be training one student to compete in:

-- Bobbing for Cabbages

Now of course we aren't having the students bob for actual cabbages. That'd be ludicrous.

We're having them bob for Brussels sprouts.

Tomorrow & Friday I begin my coaching.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    “Obviously this passage is allegorical and is simply meant to refer to any member of the Brassica family ...”

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    I had a poster made to hang outside my office.
    lct0gwl3jrvb.jpg

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »

Entertainment tech?

• Options
    Mc zany wrote: »

Entertainment tech?

Leftover from a previous configuration of the building I believe. I've got the square bits necessary to change out the sign, I just haven't decided what it should say yet.

Steam
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    The legacy of Toilet Jester continues. Boss is over there cleaning out his cubicle, and in the bottom drawer of his filing cabinet found a plastic bag full of little sandwiches.

Chicken salad sandwiches.

From a luncheon back in June.

I don't know exactly what chemical processes have been going on in there, but the bag is swollen like a corpse dredged out of a swamp. I offered my boss $5 to open it up and take a deep breath, but he's like "I think the fumes would set off the fire alarms." Coward.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    good move on his part, that's some guaranteed fungal lung infection in a bag right there

• Options
    We've been on a lockout for 90 minutes now. I just looked out a window and saw a cop in tac gear and a rifle patrolling the outside of the building. Guess this isn't our beginning of year drill.

Steam
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Get some hairspray, a lighter, and a biohazard mask.

Go to the middle of the parking lot and let that shit burn

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Entertainment tech?

Leftover from a previous configuration of the building I believe. I've got the square bits necessary to change out the sign, I just haven't decided what it should say yet.

"Chief Inquisitor's Interrogation Dungeon"?

• Options

Entertainment tech?

"Chief Inquisitor's Interrogation Dungeon"?

Given the political climate towards latinx people in the US and that my schools population is nearly 100% that, would probably get me in some trouble.

There are buildings I've been in where I would have done that on April Fools or Halloween or something though.

Steam
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    We've been on a lockout for 90 minutes now. I just looked out a window and saw a cop in tac gear and a rifle patrolling the outside of the building. Guess this isn't our beginning of year drill.

Jeez. Take care of yourself.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

Jeez. Take care of yourself.

yeah so - sometimes a username is not a suggested occupation
    keep safe!

• Options
    Ah.

Good point.

"Sex Dungeon" it is, then!

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    The legacy of Toilet Jester continues. Boss is over there cleaning out his cubicle, and in the bottom drawer of his filing cabinet found a plastic bag full of little sandwiches.

Chicken salad sandwiches.

From a luncheon back in June.

I don't know exactly what chemical processes have been going on in there, but the bag is swollen like a corpse dredged out of a swamp. I offered my boss $5 to open it up and take a deep breath, but he's like "I think the fumes would set off the fire alarms." Coward.
    Get some hairspray, a lighter, and a biohazard mask.

Go to the middle of the parking lot and let that shit burn

I think I know which one of the above you're referring to, but the advice can work for both.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Oh shit, stay safe!

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Thanks all.

The admin have largely stopped using the radio aside from arranging to meet up for a discussion somewhere, but I have gleaned the following things:

1) They're making sure the cafeteria has enough food to feed all students for lunch (they do). Normally it's open campus for upperclassmen, and a large contingent of the population also takes college classes at a nearby campus.

2) There's some planning going on regarding transporting students to and from that campus. Based on previous experience, this will mean searches by the police for any students coming in.

I think a threat was made against the school since the lockout began right at the beginning of the day. This is not the first time a threat has been made against a school with a majority minority population in this area on or around 9/11 or when the president gets particularly racist. I'll be fine.

I'll still be careful. My duty in this situation is to watch a set of doors on the second floor that lead to a stairwell with exterior doors at the bottom, mostly to keep students from exiting or trying to open them. All of the doors are alarmed, so if somebody enters the stairwell on the first floor I'll hear it. I'm two steps from my office door, which is open but the door is locked. I'm at the end of the hall, so if somehow somebody gets past several checkpoints and most of the way through the building without the alert going up, I can either make it to my office, one of the two classrooms also two steps away, or flee down the alarmed stairs. I have a radio as well.

It's exceedingly unlikely anything happens. If it does, the only complicating factor to my safety is the presence of students when said something is happening. The protocol is that I shut the door immediately if I can identify a threat, but I'm not sure I could live with cutting fleeing kids off. Or with getting kids already in the room hurt because I kept it open a moment too long.

But nothing will happen because this is more than likely just somebody being a dipshit because of the date again.

edit: I have been informed that a former student made a threat against a current student that included shooting him or her at the school. There's apparently a picture of this person which I have not seen, but it was described to me as "Latino in a hat." I won't worry about it since I'm on the 2nd floor and the police are handling anybody entering or exiting the building.

expendable on
    Steam
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Someone else pumping gas for me really weirds me out.

Growing up, I was always super impressed with it because it was only at the "Full Service" pumps, and my parents would never pay for that. My grandmother did, though, and it always made me feel super special.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    Someone else pumping gas for me really weirds me out.

Growing up, I was always super impressed with it because it was only at the "Full Service" pumps, and my parents would never pay for that. My grandmother did, though, and it always made me feel super special.

I never saw anyone use the full service spots at gas stations so it was always a very strange concept and then they stopped having them not long after that.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My wife got a new job! Its a 10k a year raise and its in the field she got her masters in. And the school says that since shes working towards her doctorate she can start building towards a higher position.

Now she has to put her two weeks in and actually go to work for 2 weeks

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    81j8kd183krs.jpg

Oh bother.