As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Their Worstest Hour

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Hey so while Scotland and Johnson are butting heads now seems a great time for me to post this article from The Journal discussing a new Lord Ashcroft poll that found 51% of respondents in Northern Ireland are in favor of Irish unification.

Obviously such a slim margin is unlikely to be repeated in an actual vote but it still shows that support for Irish unification in the North keeps creeping up.

I think this is in part why DUP haven't been pushing for no-deal Brexit.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    People in NI are slowly catching onto the fact that ROI actually gives a shit about them, unlike the Brexiteers

Karl on
    Meanwhile Sinn Fein and the Irish Government's priorities are interesting in that article. Sinn Fein saying "Brexit means we should hurry up with a border poll" while Dublin is saying "our priority is getting Stormont up and running".

Suggesting that Dublin might actually care about NI as a whole?

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Meanwhile Sinn Fein and the Irish Government's priorities are interesting in that article. Sinn Fein saying "Brexit means we should hurry up with a border poll" while Dublin is saying "our priority is getting Stormont up and running".

Suggesting that Dublin might actually care about NI as a whole?

There's also the reality that a unified Ireland would cost the current republic quite a lot of money, alongside all the exciting paramilitary excursions.

As a non-NI resident, my impression is that the Republic is pushing for an integrated Ireland over time. An NI that is, via the SM and FOM, indistinguishable from the ROI is great. The more active participation from the ROI involved, the worse it's received.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    51%? That's a clear mandate!

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    51%? That's a clear mandate!

Please, you need at least 0.9% more before it becomes the undeniable will of all people.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Within the context of both the ROI and the UK being in the UK everyone could sort of pretend they were part of whichever they liked in NI and it was a nice solution that led to years of peace and potential resolutions in the future of various stripes, which is why it's kind of awful that all of these benefits are being discarded as an afterthought by all these stupid Brexiteers.

Solar on
    Like I'm not saying I want the Provisional IRA to bomb Arron Banks, obviously, I'm not pro terrorism. But it would prove that fate has a sense of irony.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    So Boris is going to have a People's PMQ on the Facebook today. I see no way this could possibly backfire.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    daveNYC wrote: »
    So Boris is going to have a People's PMQ on the Facebook today. I see no way this could possibly backfire.

It's either going to be a fiasco or they'll have aggressively cultivated the audience to be friendly.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

It's either going to be a fiasco or they'll have aggressively cultivated the audience to be friendly.

It will be both.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    Foefaller wrote: »

Please.

It will be both.

If they do it right it will be a generally positive "hey good job" with no concrete statements.

Depends on who gets into that audience.

• PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    He's done one already. He'll just say things like, "Doris from Daganham asks, what are you going to do about Knife Crime". It'll be interesting only in the sense of having an idea of what he's looking to do next.

So I doubt he'd read out "If we wind up with, as you described it to the Taoiseach on Monday, 'A Failure of Statecraft' that is no-deal Brexit, what actions will your government and parliament take to get the peace process back on track now you've repudiated some of the base assumptions that made the Good Friday Agreement work?"

I dare say Doris will be more interested in parliament going against the Will of the People (tm).

Doris

Boris

Hmmmmmmm

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    That would be entirely legitimate voter Doris Donson, right?

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Jazz wrote: »
    That would be entirely legitimate voter Doris Donson, right?
    Laughing gaily and flicking her blonde hair coquettishly.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    She just says what everyone is thinking!

Some people say support for Brexit is unanimous!

I hope Parliament comes back because inevitably a people's PMQs or whatever bollocks this is will have so much material to rake him over with

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    What innovative jam is your favourite?

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    So a YouTube channel I follow had one option that I haven't seen before:

Boris resigns and advises the Queen to make Corbyn the new PM.
    Corbyn has to ask for an extension.
    Presumably there is then an election.
    Boris blames Corbyn for why no Brexit.
    Profit?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I mean that seems kind of silly in a bunch of ways, but the big barrier is that Boris is never going to go for an option which involves voluntarily giving up power, no matter how well it might work in the long term.

The smart long term thing to do would be to allow an extension/outright revoke to happen and then you have a perennial thing to yap about in your political rhetoric. Having to actually act on that yapping has been all but a bust these last three years.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    The smart long term thing to do would be to allow an extension/outright revoke to happen and then you have a perennial thing to yap about in your political rhetoric. Having to actually act on that yapping has been all but a bust these last three years.

The dog just needs some more time to figure out how to drive the car he caught.

He's gonna have to find some loophole around the extension request or resign so he doesn't do it himself - there's absolutely no way he does it and survives politically.

I'm still not entirely clear what happens if he resigns and doesn't advise the Queen of his replacement. And to be honest, I don't know who you could say commands the confidence of the house at this point.

Perdurabo wrote: »
    He's gonna have to find some loophole around the extension request or resign so he doesn't do it himself - there's absolutely no way he does it and survives politically.

I'm still not entirely clear what happens if he resigns and doesn't advise the Queen of his replacement. And to be honest, I don't know who you could say commands the confidence of the house at this point.

It feels like if nobody has cleared a vote of confidence in two weeks that would be grounds for an election. But that's baseless speculation on my part.

According to that same source he can't actually resign without a replacement. Theoretically. But since the UK has no written constitution...

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »

Profit?

You forgot King Arthur, Robin Hood, and Winston Churchill

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    So could he recommend whoever he wants, in that case? Could Jared O Mara be our new PM?

The fixed term parliament act really did a number on my comprehension.

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

According to that same source he can't actually resign without a replacement. Theoretically. But since the UK has no written constitution...

I may be off base here, but my understanding is that if a PM resigns, and Parliament is not in session (ha!) then the relevant monarch will ask the leader of the Oppo to try and form a government.
    If that doesn't happen...no idea.

edited September 2019
    So could he recommend whoever he wants, in that case? Could Jared O Mara be our new PM?

So what they said is that in principle the PM must either:

1) Be the leader of the largest party in the House
    2) Command a majority of the House

In the absence of anyone who can meet one of those two conditions Boris may not constitutionally be allowed to resign.

HamHamJ on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

In the absence of anyone who can meet one of those two conditions Boris may not constitutionally be allowed to resign.

The PM fighting in the courts to be able to resign as PM because noone else wants and/or is popular enough for the job may be the best microcosm for how Brexit has been handled that we will ever get.

steam_sig.png
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

The PM fighting in the courts to be able to resign as PM because noone else wants and/or is popular enough for the job may be the best microcosm for how Brexit has been handled that we will ever get.

plot twist:
    Boris nominates David Cameron as replacement PM.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    He's done one already. He'll just say things like, "Doris from Daganham asks, what are you going to do about Knife Crime". It'll be interesting only in the sense of having an idea of what he's looking to do next.

I like the use of alliteration.
    Also with questions are Barry from Bristol, Claudia from Cardiff, and Emmett from Manchester (what? They sound the same).

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    So I found a legal view on it, and it's a bit complicated (on the train but if the link isn't working I'll fix it when I get home)

https://ukconstitutionallaw.org/2019/09/11/robert-craig-what-could-happen-next-if-the-government-resigns-rather-than-send-the-letter-to-the-eu/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

Profit?

Profit?

I assume that just ends with Corbyn trying to loophole out of an election and ride out 5 years as PM come hell or high water.

Parliament could easily no confidence Corbyn in that instance.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    #sacktomwatson is trending on twitter after he suggested Labour should fully back Remain.

This is exactly why i can't trust Labour on Brexit.

This discussion has been closed.