As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] Armor 2.0: Stats All, Folks! Shadowkeep Drops Oct. 1

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I'm watching along on this Bungie Bounty (and trying in vain to get the emblem) but they just offhand mentioned SRL and the chat lost their damn minds. I doubt it means anything but... Man what a tease

Matchmaking clearly breaks every time they start a queue. It just put me into a strike with 4 people, counting myself.

Also Phil left his Clan invites on and people started spamming racist Clan name invites to him, so they had to cut off the bottom section of the screen so they wouldn't show up

Jail all gamers

EDIT: I stand by this TotP

Vagabond on
    vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Heeeeey...when I see someone in the PC lfg discord saying something like /join <user>

Am...am I supposed to type that in-game?

Can you just.../join a player in D2 PC? Is it seriously that easy?

yup
    sunofabitch

That's awesome.

Thanks!

Yeah, it was very annoying a few months ago when /join and /invite were broken. You actually had to add the person to your friends list before you could join or invite.

The few times I've used the discord last week that's what I did. Now I feel like a major derp. :rotate:

It's pretty much what you have to do on PS4 so I just assumed.

Anyway, I'm still in need of Scourge and Crown (I know how to do crown, did all of it but we couldn't finish the last boss because the blessing kept bugging out and two players couldn't get it at all) for the MMXIX title; if any PS4/PC groups are doing it this week and need a person I'd be happy to try to join (need to read up on Scourge though, don't really know how it goes too well).

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    My LFG run yesterday and why I’ll always use raid report from now on:

I was on, trying to get some stuff done in gambit and I couldn’t find the right LFG for it. Then I saw a post for Scourge of the Past. “Three of us don’t know what we’re doing, need help. Looking for 3 experienced players.” Why not, I can’t find the thing I want, so I might well help some people out. I join, as do a couple of other guys. One of them takes point in explaining mechanics, and he’s pretty decent at it. We get through the raid in about an hour and a half, with nonstop fuckups, but I don’t think much of that at the time because that’s just how people learn. We got to orbit, and in that time the 3 who said they needed help switched their SotP emblems showing many hundreds of clears between them. “We already know how to do this raid, and have more clears than any of you!” Something like that. I didn’t really know what to do with that, and neither did the other two guys who said okay and left, and I followed.

Why would someone do this? I don’t even know what the own there was supposed to be. Bizarre behavior.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I don't totally get the communities stance on SRL.

It seems to be heavily rose tinted.

Because I remember when it came out people bitched and moaned about it "replacing real content"

And that it got old real fast.

Which to be fair, it kind of did. It was fun a few times around, but the triumphs associated with it with the SRL book were mind numbing. Maybe I'm recalling something different (rumble maybe), but didn't they have to change it at some point to give credit for the top 3 or something, because the "win 25 races" was just idiotic? EDIT: Maybe it was just win 5, it's been awhile and I don't feel like loading up D1 to check. Either way it felt way harder than it should have been

Particularly since the mode was plagued with lag issues.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be fine, happy even, if it came back. But with the clamoring people have, I'm not sure what they're expecting. It's not like it'd be a full fledged game, it isn't going to be a new F-Zero; we'd get 2, maybe 3, courses, and support would probably be minimal. Maybe some do-dads like before, triumphs; but it wouldn't revitalize the game like some people seem to act like.

Plus it puts Bungie in a lose/lose position. Their current situation clearly limits resources, they haven't been shy about overdoing it in the past to try to meet expectations. If they do this to try to meet the desires of a portion of the playerbase, it'd be over more general gameplay influencing content, and while it may make a few people happy, I'm not sure it'd go over well generally.

And if they don't do it, people will never shut up about it.

I'm sure it's similar to Gjally. There'd be a big cheer when it happened, but once it was in peoples hands I think it'd quickly peter out as people recalled that it wasn't because Gjally was particularly fun or interesting; it was just so powerful that it almost felt like cheating, and severely limited your choice otherwise. D2 already has tons of interesting exotics that don't get enough love as is.

Anyway, I think if they're going to do SRL, which I know they've hinted at in the past (in different development times); I think they need to put it out to the community: Would you rather have SRL or a new Whisper/Outbreak quest/exotic? So then, later, if it does backfire, they can just say "hey, we asked, you spoke".

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm watching along on this Bungie Bounty (and trying in vain to get the emblem) but they just offhand mentioned SRL and the chat lost their damn minds. I doubt it means anything but... Man what a tease

Matchmaking clearly breaks every time they start a queue. It just put me into a strike with 4 people, counting myself.

Also Phil left his Clan invites on and people started spamming racist Clan name invites to him, so they had to cut off the bottom section of the screen so they wouldn't show up

Two times I was trying to get them, I ended up in the same strike destination they did, but by myself, lol

• Options
    Elki wrote: »
    My LFG run yesterday and why I’ll always use raid report from now on:

I was on, trying to get some stuff done in gambit and I couldn’t find the right LFG for it. Then I saw a post for Scourge of the Past. “Three of us don’t know what we’re doing, need help. Looking for 3 experienced players.” Why not, I can’t find the thing I want, so I might well help some people out. I join, as do a couple of other guys. One of them takes point in explaining mechanics, and he’s pretty decent at it. We get through the raid in about an hour and a half, with nonstop fuckups, but I don’t think much of that at the time because that’s just how people learn. We got to orbit, and in that time the 3 who said they needed help switched their SotP emblems showing many hundreds of clears between them. “We already know how to do this raid, and have more clears than any of you!” Something like that. I didn’t really know what to do with that, and neither did the other two guys who said okay and left, and I followed.

Why would someone do this? I don’t even know what the own there was supposed to be. Bizarre behavior.

Haha! You all spent time being nice and helping people out and turns out they were either bad, or intentionally playing bad!

P.p.pppppppranked!

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I don't totally get the communities stance on SRL.

It seems to be heavily rose tinted.

Because I remember when it came out people bitched and moaned about it "replacing real content"

And that it got old real fast.

Which to be fair, it kind of did. It was fun a few times around, but the triumphs associated with it with the SRL book were mind numbing. Maybe I'm recalling something different (rumble maybe), but didn't they have to change it at some point to give credit for the top 3 or something, because the "win 25 races" was just idiotic? EDIT: Maybe it was just win 5, it's been awhile and I don't feel like loading up D1 to check. Either way it felt way harder than it should have been

Particularly since the mode was plagued with lag issues.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be fine, happy even, if it came back. But with the clamoring people have, I'm not sure what they're expecting. It's not like it'd be a full fledged game, it isn't going to be a new F-Zero; we'd get 2, maybe 3, courses, and support would probably be minimal. Maybe some do-dads like before, triumphs; but it wouldn't revitalize the game like some people seem to act like.

Plus it puts Bungie in a lose/lose position. Their current situation clearly limits resources, they haven't been shy about overdoing it in the past to try to meet expectations. If they do this to try to meet the desires of a portion of the playerbase, it'd be over more general gameplay influencing content, and while it may make a few people happy, I'm not sure it'd go over well generally.

And if they don't do it, people will never shut up about it.

I'm sure it's similar to Gjally. There'd be a big cheer when it happened, but once it was in peoples hands I think it'd quickly peter out as people recalled that it wasn't because Gjally was particularly fun or interesting; it was just so powerful that it almost felt like cheating, and severely limited your choice otherwise. D2 already has tons of interesting exotics that don't get enough love as is.

Anyway, I think if they're going to do SRL, which I know they've hinted at in the past (in different development times); I think they need to put it out to the community: Would you rather have SRL or a new Whisper/Outbreak quest/exotic? So then, later, if it does backfire, they can just say "hey, we asked, you spoke".

Extremely rose-tinted glasses is basically the core feature of Destiny's very-online playerbase.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    I loved SRL. The higher tiers of competition were NOTHING like the lower. It was basically a different game (how I imagine QP vs Legendary-ranked Comp)

EDIT: Oh boy, here comes the "you couldn't possibly have actually liked what you think you liked" posts. Lay 'em on me

Vagabond on
    vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    SRL was fun, it was just fucking annoying to be in the lead for the entire race and then landing on a blade of grass in a wrong way and then exploding just before the finish line.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I remember playing and enjoying SRL when it came out. Then I remember playing and enjoying it again the next year.

Because it was fun.

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    SRL was fun

but it also required almost destination-levels of area to be made and it wasn't popular enough to make back it's cost

womp

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Yeah people always expected more of it, it's just a fun side mode that's actually pretty fun mechanics with the boosts

Though the physics were total horseshit

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I think people wanted SRL to be like Mario Kart or something relatively casual, racing-wise but instead being good at it was 100% down to perfectly memorizing the tracks and then taking corners exactly right because everyone's vehicles were exactly the same. Coupled with the afore-mentioned bullshit physics. It was generally either fun or wildly frustrating with almost no middle ground.

I think it owuld have worked as a thing that showed up for one weekend a quarter or something but they Destiny'd it up and made you play the absolute fuck out of it to finish the books, which sucked what fun was there out of it for anyone not immune to Destiny activities' mind-numbing aspects and/or really good at the kind of tight racing it required to perform well.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Typically in each race, there was only one or two people who would really give you trouble. It felt cool to be in a tight race and come out on top by a hair. The jank def impacted my enjoyment but I never felt like the 'forced' me to play it, it was good fun.

I'd be okay with them reusing patrol zones for races, I think that would be easier than making a ton of maps custom for that one side thing.

Edit:

The real nuance came in not just memorizing the maps, but also learning to side boost when going through the gates to really maximize the speed and angle of your sparrow.

https://youtu.be/m15dncw3Pkk

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    So I started taking advantage of the Infamy boost tonight and am now in Mythic II. Heading for that rank reset and the related pinnacle weapon there. Had a ton of good matches and actually saw a big opportunity. I FINALLY got Mote Thief, which also completed the Drifter's Lore book and got me my first title, Chronicler. Woo hoo!

• Options
    BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I don't understand how you're supposed to carry a clash match. I can handle control, keep two zones and slay when you can, but I haven't cracked clash. If your blewbs are committed to feeding I don't know how to slay hard enough for the win.

I use feeders as meat shields, so I can clean up the field after them.

47uk6agplx83.png
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Finished revoker quest. This snipe was the perfect one to complete the quest on too

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=teQKGUpNI_g

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Watching the Luke Smith interview on Kinda Funny and he mentioned that next year he'll have been working on Destiny for 10 years, a quarter of his life, he's also turning 40.

I'm also turning 40 next year.

Something about that is really strange. I mean, I don't care that I'm turning 40, a serious illness a few years ago got me way past any fears of death or having a mid-life crisis.

But in my brain people who have been working for companies, or on games (or movies, shows, etc) are "older" than me. I think it's just kind of an assumption, since my life went to being a stay-at-home parent and not any sort of professional job, it's hard to feel like I'd be a peer to them, at least age wise.

So when I find out someone I consider an "adult", maybe just because of position, is the same age as me, I'm not entirely sure what to do with that information.

I guess I need to remember that when I was young, so were video games; people in the industry now were people who probably grew up with the exact same games and stuff I did, just happened to go the direction of making them, when I just kept playing them. :rotate:

Anyway, yeah, it is something that shouldn't be startling, but depressingly was, just a moment ago; that all too necessary reminder that these are just people making the game, and I probably have a lot more in common with them, in their likes, dislikes, stresses, etc, and that I need to remember to temper frustrations with whatever in the game with human beings.

• Options
    Completely unrelated, 21% Delirium has probably become my favorite power weapon in Destiny right now.

It isn't as good for bosses as big number hitters, and it isn't a crucible/gambit sure fire thing like Hammerhead.

But for pretty much everything else it is absurdly effective, seems to have infinite ammo (if you're not burning down anything more than a minor-major) and is just fun to use.

And since there are several energy weapons (jotuun, loaded question, fighting lion, etc) that can functionally take the place of your big hit power weapon needs, it frees up the power slot for something to clean up trash. It's like, what if Breakneck did a ton more damage and didn't need to reload, ever? I've found it particularly useful in big trash content like Gambit, Reckoning and blowing through strikes without reloading or switching a weapon.

I wonder what I'm missing that caused it to kind of get "meh"d away? Because it isn't useful in every single activity? Where it shines it is one of the best tools for its job in the game.

Maybe with the reload changes in Shadowkeep it'll get another look, because it won't be effected by that nerf, and will have it innately.

Oooh I should run Huckleberry, Loaded Question, 21% and never have a need to reload anything ever again. That should be fun!

• Options
    Vagabond wrote: »
    I loved SRL. The higher tiers of competition were NOTHING like the lower. It was basically a different game (how I imagine QP vs Legendary-ranked Comp)

EDIT: Oh boy, here comes the "you couldn't possibly have actually liked what you think you liked" posts. Lay 'em on me

Eh, I liked SRL. I think most people did like SRL. My concern isn't about it being fun or not, or how much someone enjoyed it or not.

It's about expectations being at possibly unobtainable levels, whether those expectations are deserved.

As I said, I liked it; I just got burned out because of the book, and also some sour grapes about wonky physics and bad lag/connection issues that too frequently cost wins, that you clearly won, but somehow nope.

A holiday event, great; not a major season focus, would be my hope. If they can think of a way to integrate into the game in a way that wasn't so segregated, I'd listen intensely to the proposal. Give me a reason to sparrow around more on destinations. Because I do miss how much more you needed to sparrow with fewer warp points in D1; where there were more opportunities to do tricks, naturally, with your sparrows, and I felt more attached to them in D1.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    sooooo i did the nightfall last week but i don't have an emblem?

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    sooooo i did the nightfall last week but i don't have an emblem?

Don't think they've sent them out yet. All they said was sometime this week.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I liked SRL for five minutes at a time, but not that much blew up. If the tracks were full of "enemies moving against each other" type things where a Bunch of ai dudes were shooting at each other and incidentally you sometimes but more just there to cause chaos, I'd have been way into it.

My dream is a new SRL where they introduce two seat sparrows and you can play Double Dash style with one person driving and one person shooting at everyone else from behind them. I think that would be capital D dope.

• Options
    CroakerCroaker Registered User regular
    Anyone planning any raids before the Triumphs reset on the 15th? I need Crown and Last Wish if possible, but I can always just LFG em. It'll be cool for me since I've never seen either.

• Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    I miss SRL, I loved it. It matched my expectations of what it was and could be - based on their engine perfectly. (Though I'm not one of those people to get super pissed about a rock spinning me into oblivion and then run to reddit or elsewhere and start an inquisition about it) I really figured they would have brought it back in D2 as a rotating mode ala Iron Banner. One week every month or two just to offer something different to futz around with. It seemed perfectly situated to be back based on some of their design goals at the beginning of D2- alas.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    What does triumphs resetting mean? I hey will all reset and you have to do them again? Or you can’t do them?

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    I will say that D2 sparrows as they are currently implemented would not work for SRL because they're WAY too fragile
    What does triumphs resetting mean? I hey will all reset and you have to do them again? Or you can’t do them?

I think he's talking about the triumphs for the MMXIX seal. They don't "reset" but they must all be completed before Sep 17 in order to unlock the Seal.

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

The seal for this year, MMXIX, has to be done before next reset to "count". I don't think you'll be able to progress those triumphs/seal after that.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Those Triumphs are already in the game, so they'll be around after. The seal itself is going away.

Protip for the raids: you only need the Triumph for the final boss, not the whole raid. I got Scourge done yesterday by joining a LFG at the last boss, now I just need Crown.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I wonder how next year's Solstice will work, given that each season's 'thing' will go away at the end of the season. I guess it'll just be global stuff without an equivalent of the Forge or Gambit Prime cheevo's from this year's.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Those Triumphs are already in the game, so they'll be around after. The seal itself is going away.

Protip for the raids: you only need the Triumph for the final boss, not the whole raid. I got Scourge done yesterday by joining a LFG at the last boss, now I just need Crown.

I'll help you kill Gahlran sometime this week.
    I mean, I'll flounder as I attempt to take my Warlock through Gahlran with you sometime this week.

(I should probably level up the rest of the Welllock abilities, but I guess even just Well + Lunas gets me a ticket to any Raid dance)

• Options

I mean, I'll flounder as I attempt to take my Warlock through Gahlran with you sometime this week.

(I should probably level up the rest of the Welllock abilities, but I guess even just Well + Lunas gets me a ticket to any Raid dance)

SOME PEOPLE (looking at you @Custom Special) raid with their Warlocks without Well even unlocked

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    I think Arteen said I could sub in for them tomorrow, but I am interested in getting a raid group together for Shadowkeep. If any Xbox folks or people with access to Xbox wanna start raiding next season, hit me up.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Are people talking bad about SRL in here?!

I played that game mode all the way through the last day it was available and I miss it every time I run Scourge.

It was fun. Period. The horns were great. The gear made you look like Tron. The sparrows looked cool. The courses were great.

I have no rose-tinted glasses. I know exactly how much fun I had. Because even on the last day I was still playing it and having fun.

• Options
    I'd have to reinstall D1, but I am down for a SRL community night in custom games

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Watching the Luke Smith interview on Kinda Funny and he mentioned that next year he'll have been working on Destiny for 10 years, a quarter of his life, he's also turning 40.

I'm also turning 40 next year.

Something about that is really strange. I mean, I don't care that I'm turning 40, a serious illness a few years ago got me way past any fears of death or having a mid-life crisis.

But in my brain people who have been working for companies, or on games (or movies, shows, etc) are "older" than me. I think it's just kind of an assumption, since my life went to being a stay-at-home parent and not any sort of professional job, it's hard to feel like I'd be a peer to them, at least age wise.

So when I find out someone I consider an "adult", maybe just because of position, is the same age as me, I'm not entirely sure what to do with that information.

I guess I need to remember that when I was young, so were video games; people in the industry now were people who probably grew up with the exact same games and stuff I did, just happened to go the direction of making them, when I just kept playing them. :rotate:

Anyway, yeah, it is something that shouldn't be startling, but depressingly was, just a moment ago; that all too necessary reminder that these are just people making the game, and I probably have a lot more in common with them, in their likes, dislikes, stresses, etc, and that I need to remember to temper frustrations with whatever in the game with human beings.

The part of that interview where he mentions people being able to take pride in their work to the point of saying "would you put your work on your tombstone" reminded me that most members of the audience are way too harsh on game devs, but that I'm also very jealous of the folks who work at Bungie for having something so special on their hands.

I think people neglect to remember that not only is it a young industry, it's an industry that tends to reinvent itself each time there is a new problem, new idea, new market. And it's full of people who tinker and explore as iteration is key. Mistakes are not only natural, they are to be encouraged.

To go back to D2, it's why I love the artifact seasonality idea. They can take bigger swings without having to be afraid of how long those swings may affect the ecosystem. Because the game isn't static, and neither are the people working on it.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I think Arteen said I could sub in for them tomorrow, but I am interested in getting a raid group together for Shadowkeep. If any Xbox folks or people with access to Xbox wanna start raiding next season, hit me up.

It's gonna be fun!

• Options
    Arteen wrote: »

It's gonna be fun!

I hope so :biggrin:
    https://youtu.be/zqdQD5cadXI

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Vagabond wrote: »

SOME PEOPLE (looking at you @Custom Special) raid with their Warlocks without Well even unlocked

My warlock is exactly as useful as warlocks are supposed to be.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Ahh Destiny . It's truly about the friends you made killed along the way.

Xbox Live: Jefe414