As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's get this [job] thread!

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Pft, some superglue will fix that thing right up.
    Maybe some duck tape as well.

PSN: jfrofl
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Sadly it's going to need a replacement part. 1500 pounds worth of replacement part.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    JB Weld is the farmer's super glue. Just use a few tubes of that.

Or try your hand at welding.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    JB Weld is the farmer's super glue. Just use a few tubes of that.

Or try your hand at welding.

Psht. Just wrap it with baling wire.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Put some cinderblocks on it.

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Oh hey, I know where you can get some of those:
    Brolo wrote: »
    It'd have to be something like that wonderfully sweary cinder-block advert that went round a while back. "Come get your shit bricks. Guaranteed to probably last the trip home without cracking in two"

5BUNDPK.jpg

PSN: jfrofl
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    More trivia learned today - not only does Oregon not have a specific road rage statute, it's the only state in the US that empowers citizens to issue their own traffic citations.

Of course it's a total pain in the ass, police don't know about it because it's so rarely used, and it's probably not worth your time as a citizen.

Hooray, Oregon!

That's weird. Oregon doesn't even empower citizens to pump their own gas.

It's a wild place of many contradictions. Most people think of Portland and its extreme blueness as representative of the state, but you don't have to travel far to find that geographically the vast majority of the state is peopled by potential wildlife refuge occupiers.

Even though Portland is super blue, I'd heard its police department is stained deep red when it comes to protests

Oregon was literally born as White Supremacy: The State. This colors a lot of the state's structure, even today.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Madican wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    More trivia learned today - not only does Oregon not have a specific road rage statute, it's the only state in the US that empowers citizens to issue their own traffic citations.

Of course it's a total pain in the ass, police don't know about it because it's so rarely used, and it's probably not worth your time as a citizen.

Hooray, Oregon!

That's weird. Oregon doesn't even empower citizens to pump their own gas.

It's a wild place of many contradictions. Most people think of Portland and its extreme blueness as representative of the state, but you don't have to travel far to find that geographically the vast majority of the state is peopled by potential wildlife refuge occupiers.

Even though Portland is super blue, I'd heard its police department is stained deep red when it comes to protests

Oregon was literally born as White Supremacy: The State. This colors a lot of the state's structure, even today.

Something they never taught us in school (at least back in the 70s and 80s), wonder why.

P.S. My middle school class had one visibly non-white (Hispanic) student.

Commander Zoom on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Sadly it's going to need a replacement part. 1500 pounds worth of replacement part.

Man, what kind of load is that under? Corrosion (non-painted spots look like wear)? That's an awesome metal tear. I've never seen something that thick rip like that. Worst I've seen is a 1'sq piece of 3/16" ripping in half across a hole, which felt insane at the time because.... You know... I kinda expect deformation before failure.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    My wife got a new job! Its a 10k a year raise and its in the field she got her masters in. And the school says that since shes working towards her doctorate she can start building towards a higher position.

Now she has to put her two weeks in and actually go to work for 2 weeks

Heck yeah!

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Had two kids tell me they put me down as their favourite teacher.

Then one of them disclosed self harm to me.

My day!

Oh shit! Does your school have social services that can help this kid??

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    This morning I left my house at 6:30, expecting to arrive at my destination around 7:00. I use my GPS even during my commute because it's good for rerouting around traffic, but sometimes it just stops tracking traffic and I don't notice until it's too late. So this morning I pulled on to the freeway and then stopped at the end of a column stretching beyond sight. Yep, traffic services weren't updating. Took 2 1/2 hours to finish a 25 minute drive.

Happy Wednesday!

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I got asked for my references! So that's not a no!

I have no idea how I would answer this question now

Generally if you don't have any managers on good terms you use personal refs. And while a recent ref is preferable you can generally do some digging back too, my impression is refs are just to check nothing is hidden vs actually still looking for a reason to hire/reject.

There is only one of the people as a manager I feel that would give me good terms as for personal is the problem I have no idea how to fill that out as I said I know no one outside of my brother

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Well work owes me 2 lunches now and since I still haven't seen evidence I'm getting the first meal I missed chances are I will not be getting the second one, either.

Getting real tired of this shit.

Also getting real hungry.

Juggernut wrote: »
    Well work owes me 2 lunches now and since I still haven't seen evidence I'm getting the first meal I missed chances are I will not be getting the second one, either.

Getting real tired of this shit.

Also getting real hungry.

Assert your dominance; eat your manager.

Steam
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Man, what kind of load is that under? Corrosion (non-painted spots look like wear)? That's an awesome metal tear. I've never seen something that thick rip like that. Worst I've seen is a 1'sq piece of 3/16" ripping in half across a hole, which felt insane at the time because.... You know... I kinda expect deformation before failure.

My guess is it's just metal fatigue? That rip seems to be right above the sleeve. But yeah I absolutely would have expected warping first.

That must have made quite the noise.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

Then the fuck is their usual course of business?

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I'll take "cringily problematic appropriation" for $1000, Alex.

Asking as someone from the UK: is / was Motown in the US a genre of music kind of exclusively based around African American communities?

Over here Motown is associated with northern soul music (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_soul) and it wouldn't be considered cultural appropriation to go to a Motown/northern soul night here.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Ten gets you twenty that they'll argue they're a tech company that develops software. The driving is just an effect of the software the develop, not a service they provide.

Anon the Felon on
    edited September 2019
    Bucketman wrote: »

Then the fuck is their usual course of business?

Something something technology platform, supposedly.
    Which I guess translates to "inventing self-driving cars ASAP so we can get rid of drivers entirely".
    (until then, we just won't pay them.)

Commander Zoom on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Ten gets you twenty that they'll argue they're a tech company that develops software. The driving is just an effect of the software the develop, not a service they provide.

Transport Communication Facilitator or something is the term they're going with. See, the primary thing they do is communicate for you.

....I know all those ads I saw from Uber talking about their excellent communication services.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

Asking as someone from the UK: is / was Motown in the US a genre of music kind of exclusively based around African American communities?

Over here Motown is associated with northern soul music (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_soul) and it wouldn't be considered cultural appropriation to go to a Motown/northern soul night here.

Motown is heavily associated with black communities and culture in the US, yes.

3clipse wrote: »

Was there zero mixing of communities?

Family members of mine attended Motown and northern soul in the 60s and it was always very mixed races - I just assumed it was the same across the pond.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

Yeah, their positioning is that they provide a variety of services and that they're a tech service provider, not a specifically a transportation company.

They've been laying that groundwork forever. In tax and legal documents between drivers and Uber they refer to the drivers as customers.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Family members of mine attended Motown and northern soul in the 60s and it was always very mixed races - I just assumed it was the same across the pond.

Motown definitely played an important role in integrating the music of the black and white communities in the US, but the ownership and creation of it lie very firmly in the black community, so to throw a party themed for it but entirely attended by white people is arguably fairly appropriative (in the context of US racial politics - I could not possibly, and would not presume to, speak to UK culture on this).

• SleepSleep Registered User regular

Yeah the racial politics of the 60s in the US were... strained to put it far too nicely.

That clarifies things a lot - thanks guys!

• JavenJaven Registered User regular

I don't really know the compensation model for Uber that much, but if they're on record as actually compensating the drivers in any way, this will be a really tough case to make. And I might be confusing it with Lyft, but I was under the impression that Uber did in fact compensate its drivers by offering things like performance bonuses for review scores, and 'do X rides per month and get $Y bonus'

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    In the UK if you went to a night out and it was all northern soul and mostly if not entirely white people that'd be entirely unremarkable, tbh

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    In the UK if you went to a night out and it was all northern soul and mostly if not entirely white people that'd be entirely unremarkable, tbh

There wouldn't be an issue with going to a Motown night and having it be mostly white people.

It was the notion of said white people trying to dress up for a Motown theme that was fraught. Could it be done in a reasonable way? Absolutely. But the odds of someone doing it in some kind of terrible way are far too high for it to be a good idea.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    ... drivers work is outside the usual course of Ubers business.

Then what's left? Take out driving and their business is food delivery (by magical means, the food just shows up at your door with, and this is very important, absolutely no driving happening) and, what, exploiting people?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    ... drivers work is outside the usual course of Ubers business.

Then what's left? Take out driving and their business is food delivery (by magical means, the food just shows up at your door with, and this is very important, absolutely no driving happening) and, what, exploiting people?

Their "argument" is that they are in the software business, building a platform that drivers use as customers.

Of course, what's being missed by Uber is that by making this argument, they're pretty much guilty of price fixing.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Wouldn't Motown clothes just be general sixties clothes though with some Motown music? I'm not sure if I'm being really dumb or this is a cross cultural thing I just can't understand from being raised in a different culture.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Wouldn't Motown clothes just be general sixties clothes though with some Motown music? I'm not sure if I'm being really dumb or this is a cross cultural thing I just can't understand from being raised in a different culture.

The issue is what the entirely white office who are down with Motown as a wacky/fun theme would think of as "appropriate Motown wear". I'd be shocked if most of it was actually even trying to reference the right things.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    It's nearing the end of the school day, and I've spent all of it babysitting this door. I got very little work done, as much of the things on my list require my presence elsewhere. I did "attend" a meeting, setup a new computer, and fixed my door sign though. I share my office with a part time instructional coach whose duty is to help teachers integrate technology to the classroom in a beneficial and meaningful way.

80qxx9w9t3ct.jpg

I wanted to put Technomancers, but nobody would get it.

Steam
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

In the US Motown is definitely seen as being 'owned' by the black community and I'm figuring the worry is that while there's the possibility everyone would just wear 60s alt clothing and have a good time, there's a non-zero chance of people turning up in (at least) afros.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

I don't really know the compensation model for Uber that much, but if they're on record as actually compensating the drivers in any way, this will be a really tough case to make. And I might be confusing it with Lyft, but I was under the impression that Uber did in fact compensate its drivers by offering things like performance bonuses for review scores, and 'do X rides per month and get $Y bonus'

They offer bonuses for total number of rides during the week and also during the weekend, as well as "consecutive ride" bonuses where you get $X for giving 3 rides in a row during certain hours.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

Ultimately I am very happy that we're moving towards making gig economy workers actual employees and giving them the pay and benefits they deserve, but also a bit worried about how this will all shake out with regards to using Uber to keep my head above water financially. Any uncertainty is always scary, and there's a lot up in the air with the passing of AB-5.

Maybe it's time to polish up the ol' resume and see if I can't find my way into a higher paying 9-5.

First they took my plastic straws (unless I ask for one) now I have to treat full time workers like employees? What is the liberal dystopia?!

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig