As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What is your favorite sword?

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    other
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Nightblood from Warbreaker was kind of a cool sword

"Hello! Would you like to destroy some evil today?"

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    ALL-BLACK THE NECROSWORD, THE ANNIHILABLADE, THE SLICER OF W
    Veldrin wrote: »
    oh wow I thought light sabres would be more popular here

i'm more into heavy sabres

https://youtu.be/gCcncTff_hc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdfx7l4z5cQ

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    When I was in highschool a bunch of us made cool swords in our woodwork class and then larped with them at lunch time and got detention

Hmmm... Cool you say?

cool as hell

I made two scimitars because my D&D character was a terrible Drizzt knockoff

Of course

he was a half drow lycanthrope who turned into a full sylvan elf under the full moon

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The Monado.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    can you be a bad knockoff of something thats already bad

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    When I was in highschool a bunch of us made cool swords in our woodwork class and then larped with them at lunch time and got detention

Hmmm... Cool you say?

cool as hell

Of course

he was a half drow lycanthrope who turned into a full sylvan elf under the full moon

Fuck yeah dude

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    can you be a bad knockoff of something thats already bad

I was 16 so my power knew no bounds

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Narsil, all done broke
    What are cool rapier/rapier-like swords

I'm trying to visualize my D&D sword but keep going back and forth on it

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    other
    Moriveth wrote: »

Hmmm... Cool you say?

cool as hell

Of course

Fuck yeah dude

Look guys... D&D is for nerds

And that's why it's awesome.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    You know what I always thought was a badass as a teenager

a bladed staff

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    other

a bladed staff

No no no. A sword disguised as an umbrella!

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Urumi, the wiggliest sword
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Nightblood from Warbreaker was kind of a cool sword

“Hello. Would you like to destroy some evil today?”

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Urumi, the wiggliest sword
    Fuck

• Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    other
    Have we touched on Flaming Poisoning Raging Sword Of Doom yet? Because if we haven’t, may I posit

Flaming Poisoning Raging Sword Of Doom.

If we have, then I will reiterate

Flaming Poisoning Raging Sword Of Doom.

a bladed staff

No no no. A sword disguised as an umbrella!

Sure, but the umbrella fabric is, like, super sharp and cuts up bad guys real bad!

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    other
    What are cool rapier/rapier-like swords

I'm trying to visualize my D&D sword but keep going back and forth on it

Rapiers are a weapon with a lot of different ornamental variations and hilt designs, so a lot of your variation could just be under the rapier umbrella. See the difference between a swept hilt rapier (typically an Italian sword) and a cup hilt rapier (a later Spanish style):

xFnlHfH.jpgmKv2wNg.jpg?1

That said, the rapier evolved from the Italian side-sword, which was an Italian arming sword, a bit broader and a bit shorter than the rapier. This would be in the same family as the katzbalger I posted earlier, kind of in between that and a rapier:

MNrZFHs.jpg

The rapier also continued to evolve, moving into the smallsword and the dueling sword, both of which would be lighter and shorter than the rapier was. These weapons were all designed for civilian combat, not warfare, and could often be simply ornamental - a standard part of dress for a man of certain rank.

Straightzi on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    other
    And I would be remiss to not bring up the flamberge, or flame-blade, a type of rapier that is extremely dumb looking:

uOvXHKT.jpg

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Technically you can flamberge a bunch of different sword styles. You can for instance end up with a longsword that's in a flamberge style.

other
    Yeah, the other notable flame-bladed sword was the flammenschwert, a zweihander done in that style used by the landsknecht:

bTqu7Si.jpg

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    other
    I'm more of a spear aficionado, myself

JtgVX0H.png
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    what do the wavy bits actually do? is it like a saw tooth kind of situation?

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Zweihander? I hardly know 'er!

other
    Gun-swords are small time. Give me a gun-cane-sword-hammer:

keFFsxZ.jpg

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Zweihander? I hardly know 'er!

You use both hands young man

Unfamiliarity is no excuse for half assing something god dammit

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    other
    Brolo wrote: »

Mostly they show off that you had enough money to pay a blacksmith to do a bunch of extra work. There are arguments about cutting power, or about the waves making them obnoxious to parry because they'd rattle the other guy's sword sliding against it, but the one thing scholars seem to agree on is that it was an expensive hassle to make one, and therefore good as a status symbol.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

I believe any advantage in capability re: flame blades is largely theoretical, someone needs to hit a bunch of pig carcasses with wavy swords and regular swords, for science

What is for certain is that wavy blades are fuckin cool/stupid lookin and difficult to make thus more expensive thus an item of prestige to own

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    other
    Or perhaps you'd prefer an axe-gun:

3XUfCJw.jpg

Or maybe a gun-shield:

XoAJDKA.jpg

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I guess a gunspear is just a rifle with bayonet, there combination weapons arent entirely stupid

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    other
    Alright this is my last one I promise:

2tpvbpO.jpg

Stiletto-pepperbox-walking stick

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Why aren't we talking about the Cold Steel Kukri?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxzx1YytRnQ

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    other
    cavalry sabers are the best type of sword

swords are dumb though, polearms are better

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

2tpvbpO.jpg

No keep posting stuff I need cool items for D&D

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Narsil, all done broke
    I like swords better than spears or polearms or axes or what have you

But that being said, I'd love to see those things represented more in media

Where's the Errol Flynn of spear fights

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    other
    I bought one knife from Cold Steel when I was in high school and I still get their catalogues from time to time

I have no idea how, I've only ever given them one address

other
    Sleep wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »

2tpvbpO.jpg

No keep posting stuff I need cool items for D&D

A bunch of the recent stuff I've been posting is stuff that I've seen in person at the Art Institute - you can check out their arms and armor collection here.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    img08.jpg

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Why aren't we talking about the Cold Steel Kukri?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxzx1YytRnQ

FINALLY, a knife I can use to cut my boot sandwich

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Sword of Omens
    Darmak wrote: »
    I'm more of a spear aficionado, myself

Gea bulg?