As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    How she's played off for the audience and how the other characters react to her are definitely two different things. She's played for the viewer as a cheap laugh, while the the cast in the game are more annoyed and frustrated at her overreactions. I can mostly brush off the character interactions considering that era is pretty ruthless - in the game's framing, her situation is not even all that uncommon(especially within the cast), so I wouldn't expect much of the cast to be notably surprised or taken aback by it (which is why I wouldn't expect especially empathetic treatment). But less excusable is the way she's instead framed for the player themselves, as a goofy anime character to laugh at for her over-the-top reactions.

• ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »
    FYI, if you buy the digital DLC update after the game it will brick the software with no functional solution. Got the game yesterday, the DLC today, and now see that I'm pretty much screwed on this purchase until Nintendo gets around to patching a solution.

Possible help: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/d0o2rt/fire_emblem_three_houses_crashing_on_startup_any/ezba0y4/

Thanks for this, going to try it tonight.

Nintendo is going to have a system patch to fix the issue.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I can't find an online guide for the calendar anywhere and it's driving me crazy.

For the amount of detail we have in every other aspect of the game, the exact tea everyone likes, the possible results of every planted seed, all the paralogue unlock conditions and their rewards...why the heck don't we have a calendar? Even a preliminary one? Even a series of screenshots somebody took?

I'm sitting here on 12/21, wondering whether I should explore or battle, because I don't know know if an instruction week is going to come up in January before the next explore opportunity. My team really needs motivation but I also really want to finish the paralogues available to me.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I can't find an online guide for the calendar anywhere and it's driving me crazy.

For the amount of detail we have in every other aspect of the game, the exact tea everyone likes, the possible results of every planted seed, all the paralogue unlock conditions and their rewards...why the heck don't we have a calendar? Even a preliminary one? Even a series of screenshots somebody took?

I'm sitting here on 12/21, wondering whether I should explore or battle, because I don't know know if an instruction week is going to come up in January before the next explore opportunity. My team really needs motivation but I also really want to finish the paralogues available to me.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the game always lets you explore before instructing at the beginning of a month.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the game always lets you explore before instructing at the beginning of a month.

Yes. There's a couple months where you'll get the training on their goals before you can explore/instruct, so you won't get a chance to change them, but you always have an explore day before an instruction day.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    you can also see events on the calendar and battles without committing to that. As long as you don't select one you can change your mind.

camo_sig.png
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    How long do battle quests stay around for? I've been rushing to do all of them the month I get them, which left me picking battle three times in a month, and with a ton of unmotivated students to teach because I didn't buy them special meals or anything.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    How long do battle quests stay around for? I've been rushing to do all of them the month I get them, which left me picking battle three times in a month, and with a ton of unmotivated students to teach because I didn't buy them special meals or anything.

The quest should say if there's a time limit. Otherwise, it won't expire.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Huh, that's interesting. Conversations at meal time are also contextual based on support progress.

Lysithea/Hanneman
    If you've completed their B rank support, the conversation is much more awkward than normal.

mts wrote: »
    you can also see events on the calendar and battles without committing to that. As long as you don't select one you can change your mind.

Not at the end of the month when you aren't sure how the next one will start.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I started a Blue Lions New Game+ playthrough. This game is still fun :3 It's nice to start out with A+ Professor level too, I feel OP :3

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    mts wrote: »

Not at the end of the month when you aren't sure how the next one will start.

95% of the time, people start the month by exploring so it really doesn’t matter much what’s going on that month.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    but you can still see the calendar before you when the next month starts.

camo_sig.png
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I like most of the cast in this game. And I like all of the cast in combat at their best.

But Bernadetta is not endearing or funny. She's horrifying.

Everyone else...like, even if they're a "love to hate" kind of person, like they're really vain, or a womanzier, or a schemer, they all eventually have some backstory rounding them out and explaining why they are the way they are. So even when you later do another C support and they're being inappropriate or annoying, you understand why, and it changes the context a little.

Bernadetta also has backstory and I can be sympathetic, but I don't feel like it lessens the impact of the way she reacts to anyone and anything. I think they're trying to play it for laughs but she has a legit mental illness and desperately needs help. I can't laugh at it. When she's not screaming in fear at the slightest encounter, she's getting unnecessarily aggro, always assuming the worst intentions. I kinda feel bad for her but I also feel just as bad for everyone else. I feel like if this were a real place they would either hold an intervention ("WE. ARE. YOUR. FRIENDS. FUCKING STOP.") or send her away because she clearly can't function in this environment.

And it doesn't help either as a player, as someone just playing/watching this as a source of entertainment, it's not entertaining to hear the constant screams, whining, and paranoia. Every support with her is like "oh god, what's going to be her malfunction this time."

Like as an alternate example, there's Linhardt, who is stereotypically lazy, but half of his supports are also about how smart he is and giving genuinely good advice and how he only needs to apply himself a little. It's not just "how is he going to be lazy this time ha ha."

Anyway I know we're supposed to roll our eyes and say "that's our Bernadetta!" but I can't.

Maybe things will improve later.

And like I said at the beginning, I do like everyone in combat, even her, because it feels like for a moment she gets to be a badass and gets to shine and build some confidence. Even though she still has some nervous voice clips it's almost like a different character.
    I like Bernadetta.

I'll admit that her anxiety gets played for laughs too much, but at the same time there's enough meat there to demonstrate some knowledge of the fact that yes, these are conditioned trauma responses and not just random personality quirks. It probably helps that I have a friend in real life with CPTSD, so I have an easier time filling in gaps than most people would. Bernadetta tends to externalize thought processes that would normally be internal, and some key things are left out, but a more literal depiction of trauma probably wouldn't read at all for a non-POV character in Fire Emblem's writing style, so some level of abstraction is to be expected (in this case by setting it up as kind of a subversion of an expected trope). I'm still pre-timeskip, though.

My favorite Bernadetta line so far is her venom-soaked "Maybe it's just not as easy for me as it is for you, did you ever think of that," delivered to Ferdinand in a moment if lucidity.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    edited September 2019
    My problem with Bernadetta is that aside from her serious mental illness getting played for laughs (a *lot*), the nature of how supports work in these games ruin her as a character. Her B & A supports tend to be pretty good and show real growth and character development. Then you get a C support with someone new and she's back to being a paranoid and delusional mess of a character. This also goes for post timeskip where you can get supports *intended* for pre-timeskip but with the post-timeskip appearances and it feels really jarring to see her regress so much as a character at random points in the story (even though she does seem to grow a lot during that five year gap).

Her supports are also extremely cringe. I mean, I know she's messed up but she literally thinks everyone is trying to kill her. Even if that kind of behavior was believable (honestly it's a bit *too* extreme to me...), I can't imagine her even functioning in any kind of scenario like a classroom or combat with the way she acts and thinks.

Honestly, less is more. If they would have toned her down just a little bit but kept the same basic character traits of paranoia and timidness she totally could have worked as a character.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Bernie and Alois have a good support line, which I immediately tried to build up after seeing some of Bernie's other supports.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    I barely know Marianne at all because I kinda hit the wall of characters I'm going to care about this playthrough, but I get the impression she's the toned-down Bernadetta. And/or Bernadetta mixed with Mercedes.

I barely know Marianne at all because I kinda hit the wall of characters I'm going to care about this playthrough, but I get the impression she's the toned-down Bernadetta. And/or Bernadetta mixed with Mercedes.

Nope, not even close. She's actually a really cool character

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Well crap, do I finish my NG+ (just in month 9) on Blue Lions or do I go back and do Maddening?

Guess maybe I'll save harder mode for GD...

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
    I just saw Mercedes and Sylvain's C support and it was the most refreshing thing I've seen for both of them.
    He isn't putting on false charm to get in her pants and she actually tells a story about her past and isn't just cooking sweets or being generically nice. Just two people learning more about each other.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Huh, that's interesting. Conversations at meal time are also contextual based on support progress.

Lysithea/Hanneman
    If you've completed their B rank support, the conversation is much more awkward than normal.

Hubert/Ferdinand
    after they A rank, Ferdinand offers to make coffee for Hubert, and Hubert offers to make tea for Ferdinand at meal time.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Lysithea/Hanneman

Mercedes and Annette's mealtimes are a real emotional roller coaster as you go through their Supports.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    The Dark Knight no longer takes extra damage from anti-cavalry weapons or attacks on Maddening difficulty.

Lysithea is... no longer the problem-solver she was

dN0T6ur.png
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I guess they want you to use that survive for a round gambit against him.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    edited September 2019
    I almost wanna start a game on Maddening (which, why did you rename this Treehouse? It's been Lunatic for friggin forever... it's Lunatic still in Japan...), but at the same time I wanna finish this Blue Lions playthrough on Hard first. I was watching Mangs play some of it last night though and dang, it looks hard.

Also the dodgeball uniforms may be the ugliest DLC clothing I've seen ever :P

Warlock82 on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Also the dodgeball uniforms may be the ugliest DLC clothing I've seen ever :P
    In that case, I need them.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    *stupid phone double post*

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    So far the DLC has been incredibly underwhelming.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    Talith wrote: »
    So far the DLC has been incredibly underwhelming.

The support items, additional battle scenarios, and story content aren't hitting till October through April 2020, so it being a little anemic (Maddening being the only major mechanical edition, to date) right this moment doesnt bother me too much.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
    I am so sick of the tropes of omission of simple communication. It is utterly ridiculous.

I just finished month 12.
    Jeralt just died. He wanted to speak with me about something important for like 2 months I think? We had at least one opportunity to talk and he didn't, then he left, then he came back and said "gosh darn we never got to talk" and then he died, and as he was dying he refused to just spit out a couple words about whatever he wanted to tell me about.

Then I read some of his diary. We got called away to talk to Rhea and Sothis says we should come back later and read more. I don't know yet if that's going to be a thing we get to do, but it's idiotic not to just stuff it in a sack and take it with us, it's kind of probably ours right now, and I expect it to get stolen/suppressed very shortly.

Sothis says "now I know why we're linked." Stops talking there awkwardly and the scene fades out. Ok thanks for telling me that reason...?

I ask Rhea who my mother is and she says "she was my..." and then Alois barges in and says "I HAVE NEWS" so I don't get that.

And then I have a long talk with Edelgard where she says you gotta buck up and get over your grief and I'm like "GOD DAMMIT YOU WERE BEST FRIENDS FOR MONTHS WITH MONICA, THE GIRL WHO KILLED MY FATHER, YOU WERE WANDERING THE MONASTERY WHISPERING TO EACH OTHER FOR WEEKS, AND APPARENTLY I'M NOT EVEN GOING TO ASK YOU ABOUT ANY OF THIS?!?!"

Fuck!

• RendRend Registered User regular
    I am so sick of the tropes of omission of simple communication. It is utterly ridiculous.

Jeralt just died. He wanted to speak with me about something important for like 2 months I think? We had at least one opportunity to talk and he didn't, then he left, then he came back and said "gosh darn we never got to talk" and then he died, and as he was dying he refused to just spit out a couple words about whatever he wanted to tell me about.

Then I read some of his diary. We got called away to talk to Rhea and Sothis says we should come back later and read more. I don't know yet if that's going to be a thing we get to do, but it's idiotic not to just stuff it in a sack and take it with us, it's kind of probably ours right now, and I expect it to get stolen/suppressed very shortly.

Sothis says "now I know why we're linked." Stops talking there awkwardly and the scene fades out. Ok thanks for telling me that reason...?

I ask Rhea who my mother is and she says "she was my..." and then Alois barges in and says "I HAVE NEWS" so I don't get that.

And then I have a long talk with Edelgard where she says you gotta buck up and get over your grief and I'm like "GOD DAMMIT YOU WERE BEST FRIENDS FOR MONTHS WITH MONICA, THE GIRL WHO KILLED MY FATHER, YOU WERE WANDERING THE MONASTERY WHISPERING TO EACH OTHER FOR WEEKS, AND APPARENTLY I'M NOT EVEN GOING TO ASK YOU ABOUT ANY OF THIS?!?!"

Fuck!

There's actually a very compelling explanation for all of this
    ...One moment, my doorbell just rang.
    Strange, I wasn't expecting anyone...

Go away Jean from Breath of Fire 2, you're not even on the SNES app!

edited September 2019

Fuck!

This is this game's favorite trope. Next to every support starting with "Ackk!! I didn't see you standing there!!"

Warlock82 on
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    maddening seems actually hard. i hope it continues to be hard without veering into bullshit but i'm too early to tell

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    P10 wrote: »
    maddening seems actually hard. i hope it continues to be hard without veering into bullshit but i'm too early to tell

These games tend to be very breakable after the first few battles, although it will help in this one that (at least for now) you can't go off and infinitely fight XP DLC to outlevel anything. Or infinitely fight at all.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

These games tend to be very breakable after the first few battles, although it will help in this one that (at least for now) you can't go off and infinitely fight XP DLC to outlevel anything. Or infinitely fight at all.

I haven't actually done any of the DLC levels yet, but in that tweet up there it looks like the new DLC battle takes up an activity point, so you can't grind them infinitely.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »

Fuck!

There's actually a very compelling explanation for all of this
    ...One moment, my doorbell just rang.
    Strange, I wasn't expecting anyone...

I know it seems farfetched, even insulting to your intelligence, but there's a simple and highly satisfying explanation. You see...
    Hey everyone, surf's up!

However basically the biggest problem with this game above all others is when you are exploring the monastery and you hear an owl flying up with the most ill-fitting sound effect ever which sounds like someone hitting a table mixed with a cat coughing up a hairball.

edited September 2019
    Current spiciest meme for this game:

Garreg MachDonald's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr-aIARiea4

(actual Seteth voice actor)

(actual Claude voice actor)

V7HGoly.png

KPSahPj.png

UncleSporky on
This discussion has been closed.