As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fitness and Weight Management]: It's a lifestyle

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I don't have asthma and if I can jog 1km I'm ecstatic

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Thanks, y'all

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Ow my arms

Every time I go climbing I find it's something else that is the wall that causes me to end the session. Either it's grip strength giving out, or it's too much on my arms, or my feet are howling

I think that's probably good, mean I'm pushing those limits back. And there has definitely been a massive improvement, especially in the last few weeks. Routes I struggled with I know find I can fly up, and routes that I couldn't do at all I can push myself through. Happy days. Put myself down for a year's subscription too, so I can basically go whenever, though I need to buy shoes.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    In addition to my clicky left knee that I'm trying to fix, I've come to realize I have a tight left brachioradialis which does a... nerve jolt feeling after doing arm exercises

Why does the left side of my body hate me

Oh, in unrelated musings, I stole Wyborn's shorts, which are nice and long and cushy with deep pockets and now I don't think I'll ever move back to women's shorts.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Friday ran 2.5 miles, Saturday, 26 minute 5k, Sunday ran another 2.5 miles, took yesterday off because I was skirting the edge of migraine zone. Today, another 2.5 miles(I run this almost every single day) and I'm half way through my weight routine, which I would have done yesterday if not for being ill.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    I think the HVAC at my gym broke. It's like trying to work out in a damp armpit.

edit: It was broken. Grossest workout in forever.

Weaver on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I just ran full tilt into a stoby pole. Fitness thread relevant because I was fitnessing at the time.

Further evidence that exercise is bad for you

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Ow! But I learned that stobie poles exist today, so at least your suffering resulted in someone else getting learned some stuff.

• Options
    Every now and then I'm reminded that a perfectly cromulent word is actually a weird Adelaide thing.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    They're a MUCH better idea than what we Sandgropers use, which is literally just ALL of the tall straight old-growth tree trunks. Who needs trees, right?

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I'm taking a beginners swim class this semester, i can swim in the sense that if you throw me in water I will survive but I'd like to get good enough to actually swim laps for exercise without dying

Today was our first day in the pool and now my legs are very sore

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    First sub 25 minute 5k since I was in my 20s!

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I'm a terrible, terrible runner. I can't seem to reach my goal of 1.5 miles in 12 minutes because I injure myself trying.

A trainer discovered that despite my efforts to lean forward during running, I'm not leaning forward enough. He had me really hunch over and relax my upper body. I was terrified I was going to look like Naruto but the recording revealed that my hunching over looked like a very straight, professional lean that improved my energy usage.

I won't be trying anything like that for a while because my knee is still injured and I have a stubborn shin splint but I'm looking forward to working on this more when I recover.

EDIT - I also typically avoid fitness books and things in favor of talking with a doctor directly because I am paranoid of books being snake oil (especially in America) but he swore by Ready to Run by Dr. Kelly Starrett and T.J. Murphy because one of them, I don't remember who, is a famous physical therapist. Now I'm flossing my legs every day to assist recovery.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Doctors are good to talk to. They still have their own biases when it comes to exercise prescription and if they had any exposure to kinesiology/exercise science/exercise physiology it was likely from undergrad, short of them being a physical therapist or sports ortho.

I’ve never read Ready to Run, I’ve only used Becoming a Supple Leopard as a reference which was helpful for the issues I was trying to address.

The fitness world is full of bullshit, but a little diligence checking credentials and looking into the topic more can save you from some of it. Unfortunately a lot of popular stuff doesn’t have research backing it or if it does have research associated with it, the methods need to be picked over closely.

I don’t know how helpful that is, but that is what I’ve come to learn.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    When I run, no matter what speed, my back, neck, and head are straight up, my forearms tilt down instead of up, and my arms have a slight back & forth swing motion that largely originates from the shoulders.

• Options
    Exercise safety question: sometimes it feels like after a while one forearm or another is absolutely pumped and tense, uncomfortably so, even after a couple of minutes rest. Is there a danger of snapping a muscle if I overdo it? Weirdly when I'm actually hanging on that arm it feels much better, it's when it's resting it tenses up.

• Options
    The muscles in your forearm are pretty robust. I would just take care to note normal and when it’s tight and what seems to get it going the most.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Hey fitness thread, I'm considering splurging on a set of adjustable dumbbells like the Bowflex ones that go up to 50 lbs

Have people had good experiences with these? I have a small apartment and something with a small footprint would be a lot better than a rack of weights.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Hey fitness thread, I'm considering splurging on a set of adjustable dumbbells like the Bowflex ones that go up to 50 lbs

Have people had good experiences with these? I have a small apartment and something with a small footprint would be a lot better than a rack of weights.

I have had a good time with my bowflex select tech ones. They ARE noticeably more bulky than other options, and this may change your range of motion on things like shoulder press. But they beat the hell out of no dumbells. So they are a pricey compromise, but not a terrible one. Also notable with their size, the weight may be a bit further out from your hand than you expect, which makes it effectively heavier as it has more leverage vs your attempts to stabilize it. This also isn't a terrible thing, as the whole reason you do free weights is to get functional muscle engagement, but it does mean that if you have some previous numbers to compare to you may drop a little bit in what you seem to be moving.

So overall, not perfect, but certainly not bad. I've heard stories of plates getting loose but I have not seen it. Also be ready to unpack it wherever it is, and move it in parts as it ships in one box, with the little stands, and that makes an awfully heavy box.

• Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular

I have had a good time with my bowflex select tech ones. They ARE noticeably more bulky than other options, and this may change your range of motion on things like shoulder press. But they beat the hell out of no dumbells. So they are a pricey compromise, but not a terrible one. Also notable with their size, the weight may be a bit further out from your hand than you expect, which makes it effectively heavier as it has more leverage vs your attempts to stabilize it. This also isn't a terrible thing, as the whole reason you do free weights is to get functional muscle engagement, but it does mean that if you have some previous numbers to compare to you may drop a little bit in what you seem to be moving.

So overall, not perfect, but certainly not bad. I've heard stories of plates getting loose but I have not seen it. Also be ready to unpack it wherever it is, and move it in parts as it ships in one box, with the little stands, and that makes an awfully heavy box.

I can second pretty much all of this as they're my, "no gym at the moment, weight to throw around" option in my apartment. I've seen the plates get loose (not mine). But so far, after like 3 years of use mine are still in pretty good shape. They're as advertised.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    So my diet continues to be my Achilles heel.

I'm pretty inconsistent and I realized that I have a tendency to "graze" more so than eat regular meals. This often ends up with me realizing while I'm out and about that haha whoops I actually haven't eaten in 6 hours and I'm about to pass out and the only thing available is garbage.

When I'm actually good and meal prepping I've come to the conclusion that based on my activity level and time on my feet I don't think I'm eating nearly enough.

Jeff Cavalier of Athlean X fame kind of put it into perspective with a recent video where he broke down a typical day of his meals and he clocked in at roughly 3,000 calories give or take. I think I've got several inches, about 20 years less and at least 50 pounds on the guy so if that's what hes putting away I'm probably not nearly where I need to be. I'm gonna have to start upping my portions to, ironically, lose some more fat. I think I'm in kind of a weird limbo where I'm not really eating enough to fuel my energy expenditures, and not optimizing my metabolism, and also not eating clean enough when I do.

The time dedication to prep that much food is what's killing me, especially on my days off. I think it may get easier now that I'm moved into a new place that's within walking distance of anywhere I want to go, so I shouldn't have an excuse to get "caught out" without having eaten and then using the excuse that it would be too inconvenient to just go home and eat clean.

• Options
    Get a pan that can handle a couple of pounds of ground beef or turkey, throw whatever the hell you want in a crock pot, hard boil some eggs and figure out what you want for your veggies/fruits/green stuff and then you’ve got some meal variety and a week’s worth for an hour of work if you’re chopping stuff up. Not counting the time in the crock pot or clean up.

We tend to eat a lot of sweet potatoes, but I’ll get down on some rice.

• Options
    Dropped a minute and a half off my normal 2.5m run time, adding weight on all sets

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Get a pan that can handle a couple of pounds of ground beef or turkey, throw whatever the hell you want in a crock pot, hard boil some eggs and figure out what you want for your veggies/fruits/green stuff and then you’ve got some meal variety and a week’s worth for an hour of work if you’re chopping stuff up. Not counting the time in the crock pot or clean up.

We tend to eat a lot of sweet potatoes, but I’ll get down on some rice.

Theres dozens of different chili recipes out there too that will get you everything you need and taste amazing at the same time.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I am stuck in my ways of chili, my team took 2nd place at a cook off one year and who tended to the chili? This guy

But really that just means every time I make chili I get drunk and throw shit together and it still tastes good.

Uh, also I picked up a rotisserie chicken for dinner tonight and microwaved some green beans. With some Mac n cheese. Health food. At some places that counts as two vegetables

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    The weather is starting to turn here, which means crockpot chilis, chowders, soups and stews. It's my favorite time of year.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
  • Options
    If you add barley to a stew it instantly rebrands it into Colon Blow

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I am stuck in my ways of chili, my team took 2nd place at a cook off one year and who tended to the chili? This guy

But really that just means every time I make chili I get drunk and throw shit together and it still tastes good.

Uh, also I picked up a rotisserie chicken for dinner tonight and microwaved some green beans. With some Mac n cheese. Health food. At some places that counts as two vegetables

"some places" being the American public school system I assume

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I am currently actively encouraging myself to go down the rabbit hole of measuring/weighing my portions and breaking down the recipes I make using a calorie calculator (this is way more accurate for me since I cook at home 90% of the time and the auto-fill options in my calorie counter are all restaurant chains and frozen food products - which is mildly horrifying commentary on modern living but whatever). I'm currently at 69.1 kg and my aspirational goal is 65 kg by November, but uhh, I'm not crossing my fingers.

Still

It'd be nice

By the way I have found my ideal recipe in my overnight oats making - I don't want to do chocolate and it turns out I STILL don't like peanut butter but I've been using chia seeds, ABC butter and whatever fruit looks nice at the store, for the last two weeks, and it's been very satisfying.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    If you add barley to a stew it instantly rebrands it into Colon Blow

Barley in soup/stew is SO GOOOOOOOD

It doesn't affect me like that....but it does make me gassy. :rotate:

IT'S SO GOOD THOUGH

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I just saw a dietician and one thing she suggested I have are overnight oats in the morning.
    I just followed a basic recipe, and for one thing I'm happy with how quick it was - two days worth of servings took me like five minutes including cleanup, quicker than the smoothie I would usually have.

• Options
    Yeah, I make a five-day batch (it's about a double of the recipe linked to me earlier) and leave it overnight to ferment a little bit as the wook suggested several pages back. The next day I slap it in a set of mason jars and call it done until Monday morning. It's waaay easier/better for me than making fresh yogurt with granola etc every day.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    They have overnight oats in the office

I usually skip breakfast tho so I’ve never tried
    Mayhaps I’ll try them

poo
  • Options
    Trying to decide between sticking around at work and going to the gym here, or going home and doing a long run.
    It's not so much weighing up the pros and cons as figuring out which of the cons I hate least.

• Options
    The muscles in your forearm are pretty robust. I would just take care to note normal and when it’s tight and what seems to get it going the most.

Thanks, my friend who is very experienced said much the same, but also that I'd last longer with a little more rest time between attempts, so I do that more now and get way more out of it, just spread out a little

• Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Trying to decide between sticking around at work and going to the gym here, or going home and doing a long run.
    It's not so much weighing up the pros and cons as figuring out which of the cons I hate least.

Just run home. That way, when you get home you're already done.

• Options

Neither of these options involves anywhere near enough wine.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    using my laptop bag as a handweight? yeah that could work.

tynic on
  • Options
    using my laptop bag as a handweight? yeah that could work.

Leave the laptop at work, and fill the bag with wine.

This discussion has been closed.