As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] Lovitz or Leave It

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Kinda like Dave Nillasca being Dave In Alaska for the longest time in my head. I think it was last year I realised the mistake :lol:

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    It's a very odd name unless there is an actual Man of Medan.
    Apparently it's because it was inspired by this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ourang_Medan

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Kinda like Dave Nillasca being Dave In Alaska for the longest time in my head. I think it was last year I realised the mistake :lol:

Could be worse, I just now learned about this. Next you're going to tell me Jason isn't a striker anymore.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    To be fair, they really emphasize the “A” sound.

“Jason A. Striker” is what I hear if I didn’t know better.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

Until now I just thought they had a remote employee that they nicknamed to tell the difference between him and other Dave's in the office.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Edit: Beaten by a mile.

Endaro on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    It's also quite far away from the German pronounciation. The Oe is an O sound.
    There's a lot of general Europeanness in GB names.
    Dan Richman (the Rich One more literally, Flemish)
    Jeff Barleyman (German), Jason the Austrian (German)
    Vincent Caravel (A portuguese sailboat.. Italian spelling)
    Drew Scandal (Irish,According to the internet, never heard that one before)
    Abby Redhaired (Norse), Jan Wolf (Basque originally)
    Alex Open-Fields (Spanish, the site this came from I don't trust 100%)
    Matt son of Rory (Gaelic)

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Wikipedia suggests Navarro is a Basque surname denoting a family from a region called Navarre between France and Spain, the etymology of the name is unclear but theories on wikipedia are that Navarre is a corruption of an older name either describing the brown colors of the region or a compound of words for people/land of the valley/plain, which is probably where that open-fields idea comes from.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    It's kind of amazing how simple and straightforward most last names are, when you get down to their roots

Of course I'm sure if we were coming up with ours today it wouldn't be any different

Steve Doglover
    Mary From Philly
    Chris Widebody

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Sephiroth Finalfantasy

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    It's kind of amazing how simple and straightforward most last names are, when you get down to their roots

Of course I'm sure if we were coming up with ours today it wouldn't be any different

Steve Doglover
    Mary From Philly
    Chris Widebody

Names today would just be the parents' Twitter handles.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    ...My Twitter handle is literally a modern last name, now that I look at it in those terms.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Sephiroth Finalfantasy

I swear to God that I've seen a guy run with this name in FF14.

edit: I would actually love to take Lionheart as a last name. Sorry Mom and Dad.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    It's like everyone in Iceland has the last name that ends in -son or -dottir, for obvious reasons.

But also yes, I think Jason has said he knows he doesn't pronounce his last name the "traditional" way but it's how his family says it.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Abby's surname is a little on the nose

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    LOL @ 2k...I guess this is Jan and Ben's fault for analyzing BL3's trailer.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    LOL @ 2k...I guess this is Jan and Ben's fault for analyzing BL3's trailer.

That and a constant deserved dunking on Randy Pitchford.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Yeah I heard they only sent out codes to "preferred" reviewers which to me as a laymen consumer reads as "People who usually give us good reviews and positive coverage"

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Sure backfired with PC Gamer then.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Until now I just thought they had a remote employee that they nicknamed to tell the difference between him and other Dave's in the office.

They’ve joked specifically about it.

“He gets lonely up there” etc.

Yeah it’s his name but it’s also a conscious bit they’ve been doing for a long time.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Honk wrote: »

They’ve joked specifically about it.

“He gets lonely up there” etc.

Yeah it’s his name but it’s also a conscious bit they’ve been doing for a long time.

As someone who lives in Alaska, I really wish my name was Dave so I could e-mail in describing myself as Dave IN Alaska.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

And Polygon.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019

I just read this review. Yikes.

I can’t say I’m surprised though. I played through BL2 again back in June and everything except the gameplay was awful. I turned off the sound so I didnt have to listen to anyone talk.

I don’t think I can stomach another thirty hours of that just for the cool guns.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I kinda hated Borderlands 2. Bummed me out, cause I disliked it so much it killed any interest I had in playing Tales from the Borderlands, which is supposed to be good. But I thought all the characters and dialog in 2 were terrible (along with everything else) and if Tales was just gonna be a dialog heavy game featuring characters from Borderlands, then that sounded like the worst.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    vqeat1lpqth6.png

I feel like this is pretty telling.

• Options
    yeah...everyone talks about how much loot there is but I tried to play thru the Presequel and BL2 a month ago when it came on PS+ and I just can't stand the gunplay. And the "good" loot is so rare in a regular playthrough. The less said about the writing the better. Then you add all the BS that surrounds 2k and Gearbox...and BL3 is such an easy skip for me this year.

• Options
    Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Yeah, skipping BL3 for now too. This was after having a BL1 avi for like 3 years. Played them all and @Stabbity Style I can't recommend you play Tale from enough. It was free through PS+ and I still worry it will disappear forever at some point.

Regardless, I read the PC Gamer review and it hit the one thing that I just can't tolerate in BL- the asinine and meme-y humor. It just doesn't play anymore. Move on. Sucks though because I love the game play loop.

Spicy_Rev on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Tales from the Borderlands is still both my favorite Telltale game and my favorite Borderlands game.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'm leaning towards a skip too at this point, but I'm still very curious to hear Giant Bomb's and Waypoint's take on the game. Good chance my gaming buddies and I will just wait on the Destiny 2 expansion to play together instead.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Tales from the Borderlands is so fucking good. They used James Blake in one of the intro credit sequences!

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    I like Jeff's instant disappointment that the reviews are stating that even though the writers from the last few games Jeff disliked have left Gearbox, the writing is still similarly bad/worse than before.

I haven't played a ton of Borderlands (played BL1 for a few hours on PS+ and then didn't feel like starting over on PC when my sub lapsed) but it definitely sometimes feels like quantity (lots of guns, including a gun that shoots guns!) over quality (do any of the guns feel good to use?). Maybe it's a problem inherent to the RPG loot-shooter genre, but sometimes when you shoot something with a shotgun, you want it to die and not have some health taken off.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I have a feeling that GB is not going to be very positive towards Borderlands 3. They generally don't like sequels that don't push their gameplay forward, and from what it sounds like it took 7 years to make Borderlands 2.5.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm buying BL3 only because I'm part of a foursome that's going to co-op it. If I wasn't playing with friends I'd skip it entirely. Nothing about the PC Gamer review shocks me. It's almost funny to think of BL1's humor being understated but as they've upped the edgy ante to try and stay "hip" it makes it look that way.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Yeah...but Doom Eternal is around the corner and that's probably gonna scratch my shooter itch for the holidays. I don't need a bajillion shotguns when I can have a real good one asap.

• Options
    Oh, I forgot that Dan has bad opinions about the Gameboy and also Link's Awakening.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Oh, I forgot that Dan has bad opinions about the Gameboy and also Link's Awakening.

Link's Awakening was a great game at the time that is very hard to go back to because the lack of buttons makes the game difficult to play. And aside from Tetris the original game boy is very hard to go back to at all.

Fite me.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

eh, I never thought the original gameboy had much going for it either (aside from tetris)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I've actually gone back and played through a number of Game Boy games in the last few months, including the Wario Land series. There's some jankiness there, but I feel like they hold up pretty well. It probably helped that I wasn't playing on the original hardware, though.

• Options
    Link's Awakening is the best LoZ game of all time, imo. The ending still sticks with me to this day.

This discussion has been closed.