As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG] Throne of Eldraine spoiler season is upon us!

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Gingerbrute is amazing this set is amazing.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the Archon is supposed to be, but I suspect I'm going to lose a lot in draft to opponents spending 6 mana for a 4/5 flyer and two 3/3s. That's a lot of beef.

It’s supposed to be first among equals

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    So uh, wow. The artist deliberately made it so that the art for Seven Dwarfs have several things in counts of seven:

- Seven gems (rubies) to the left
    - Seven boxes to the right
    - Seven torches to the sides
    - Seven visible torches in the elevated walkways in the background
    - Seven bags
    - The rightmost dwarf has seven candles
    - The main boi has seven visible belt holes, seven visible strips of plate for his armor, and seven rivets at the bottom armor flap

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/worldbuilding-eldraine-2019-09-11

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    And if you have all seven out they’re...8/8s

0/10, pre-order cancelled

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    are these dwarves going to St. Ives or something

Edit: Hah wow, this must be the first non basic card to allow you to have more than four in your deck but not “any number” like Rat Colony etc, so it’s the first card that restricts the number you can put in your limited deck. If you draft 8+ Dwarves, you can only put seven in your deck.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    are these dwarves going to St. Ives or something

Edit: Hah wow, this must be the first non basic card to allow you to have more than four in your deck but not “any number” like Rat Colony etc, so it’s the first card that restricts the number you can put in your limited deck. If you draft 8+ Dwarves, you can only put seven in your deck.

Was just coming here to post this.

• Options
    Gingerbrute can be paired with Lovestruck Beast.

They truly thought of everything.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Opt is back, woo!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    The fact that only haste creatures can catch the gingerbread man is amazing.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    The fact that only haste creatures can catch the gingerbread man is amazing.

Kenrith does not have a Gingerbrute infestation in his kingdom as long as he has access to red mana.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited September 2019
    I haven't played in a long time, but this set is fun and interesting enough that I poked around at what Standard looks like. And I found the Cavalcade of Calamity deck, which is 1000% the way I like playing magic.

So I'm thinking about it and the Big Red Sword. It's probably the deck that can use it most consistently, but if you've got a cavalcade, a spitfire and a couple spare attackers, they're just fuckin' dead, right? Big Red Sword is just a win harder card, yeah?

Knob on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Maybe but its also very cool

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    and sometimes they have an Arbor Grazer or something to chump the Spitfire, so adding trample can steal you the game a turn early

• Options
    oooh an Alpha classic (Righteousness)
    righteousness2.jpg

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    I remember discussing alternate uses for haste years and years ago, so it's super interesting to see that on Gingerbrute.

I can't believe we only get one set on Eldraine, but at least they are knocking it out of the park.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    I love gingerbrute

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Hopefully we get a Muffin Man and Drury Lane as a legendary land.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    gadwickthewizened.jpg

Virgin BSZ versus the Chad Gadwick

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    and sometimes they have an Arbor Grazer or something to chump the Spitfire, so adding trample can steal you the game a turn early

So maybe a sword or two in the sideboard to punch through decks that can bog down the plan with lifegain or chumps. Don't need tibalt to shut down lifegain when you can just double your output, I suppose.

• Options
    I actually wonder if there are Stoneforge decks that want that mythic sword. It’d certainly be fun to slap it on a batter skull, if a bit win more

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it's really hard for me to imagine a stoneforge deck that is in red

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Just say Jeskai stoneblade until it sounds like a good idea

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    (It isn’t)

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    How is this set this amazing

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

Opportunistic Dragon
    Flying

When Opportunistic Dragon enters the battlefield, choose target human or artifact an oppoentent controls, as long as Opportunistic Dragon remains on the battlefield, gain control of that permanet, it loses all abilities and cannot attack or block

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    I love the new wizard legend, Draw Daddy.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options

Opportunistic Dragon
    Flying

When Opportunistic Dragon enters the battlefield, choose target human or artifact an oppoentent controls, as long as Opportunistic Dragon remains on the battlefield, gain control of that permanet, it loses all abilities and cannot attack or block

That's an interesting red twist on an ability that feels white in terms of board state.

• Options

You don't even need to be red, just use Stoneforge!

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Opportunistic Dragon
    Flying

That's an interesting red twist on an ability that feels white in terms of board state.

It does feel a bit white, I guess the idea is that the Dragon takes someone/thing prisoner, so it can't do anything. And red has sacrifice effects that could take advantage of an inert body.

• Options
    Red steals artifacts already, gets temporary theft, and tends to play well with sac outlets. I think the humans part is a strong bend justified by flavor and the set creatures v. Humans subtheme and the artifact part is totally fine

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

I remember someone was fucking around with a Mardu Stoneblade deck with a SOFI, Batterskull and Sunforger and then a 8-spell toolbox suite of castables with the Sunforger. It was...fine. Obviously Lingering Souls was the best card in the deck, though.

• Options
    milski wrote: »
    Red steals artifacts already, gets temporary theft, and tends to play well with sac outlets. I think the humans part is a strong bend justified by flavor and the set creatures v. Humans subtheme and the artifact part is totally fine

Yeah this is totally in red's pie but that you could easily imagine a 2ww creature that exiled/pacified (arrested, really) something as long as it was on the battlefield. Other than the change in control (something white does almost never) the two board states are essentially the same. Just noting the interesting and unexpected overlap.

• Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I remember someone was fucking around with a Mardu Stoneblade deck with a SOFI, Batterskull and Sunforger and then a 8-spell toolbox suite of castables with the Sunforger. It was...fine. Obviously Lingering Souls was the best card in the deck, though.

In Modern there are some attempts at a RW D&T build. It's not the best version of the deck, but it looks like fun to play.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    milski wrote: »

Yeah this is totally in red's pie but that you could easily imagine a 2ww creature that exiled/pacified (arrested, really) something as long as it was on the battlefield. Other than the change in control (something white does almost never) the two board states are essentially the same. Just noting the interesting and unexpected overlap.

That's fair. I just saw a good bit of grumbling on other media and wanted to put my "it's fine for red to get this" opinion in the ring

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    gnj22gi3rzsd.png

We gotta break this cat

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    gnj22gi3rzsd.png

We gotta break this cat

You don't even have to ask me to brew an aristocrat's deck with this cat.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    gnj22gi3rzsd.png

We gotta break this cat

You don't even have to ask me to brew an aristocrat's deck with this cat.

Aristocats

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    everybody wants to play that deck

• Options
    Witch's Oven

Sacrifice a creature: Create a Food token

This discussion has been closed.