As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Astral Chain] Anime cyberpunk action cop game where you CAN pet the dog.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Unlocked the axe legion, I want to like it but it's soo slow. Especially when chain binding. The sync attacks you unlock don't seem that good either.

Oh man I love him so much. Being able to deflect all attacks and walk right up to things is awesome.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Unlocked the axe legion, I want to like it but it's soo slow. Especially when chain binding. The sync attacks you unlock don't seem that good either.

Oh man I love him so much. Being able to deflect all attacks and walk right up to things is awesome.

Axe is super strong. His damage output is good, his Blue Shield is real nice too. You want to either use his auto-bind, or just bind with others and swap to him after.

He hits haaaaaard.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    With axe you should be running around for the bind instead of him he's so damn slow

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Just got to File 07, and the side quests are really unfun. Not sure why they thought these should be included in the game, it adds very little value to the experience...the only reason I'm doing them is to get the experience points and the items. I guess they figured if someone wanted a break from the main game, they'd do the side quests. The minigame ones though...I think they just had a bunch of random ideas or were learning how things work technically or to see if something could be fun and threw it in the game. A lot of them simply aren't fun though, unfortunately. They are almost No More Heroes-like, for example, carrying boxes from one end to the other. No need to pad the game, trim the fat if there's a sequel.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Just got to File 07, and the side quests are really unfun. Not sure why they thought these should be included in the game, it adds very little value to the experience...the only reason I'm doing them is to get the experience points and the items. I guess they figured if someone wanted a break from the main game, they'd do the side quests. The minigame ones though...I think they just had a bunch of random ideas or were learning how things work technically or to see if something could be fun and threw it in the game. A lot of them simply aren't fun though, unfortunately. They are almost No More Heroes-like, for example, carrying boxes from one end to the other. No need to pad the game, trim the fat if there's a sequel.

I think the biggest problem is that the combat in this game is so fucking good that when I'm not fighting... I want to be.

Bayonetta is a blast because it's almost non-stop fighting with some great VA work sprinkled in.

I don't mind the investigation stuff TOO much, but it does get really old. Talk to this person to get the red text. Fill up notebook. Answer random questions by lead investigator who seems to already know the answer so why are we even talking right now..?

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Man I am having a time getting this games combat together. I keep wanting to hit "attack" on the blue Legion flashes instead of the Legion button, I keep forgetting to use the chain for jumping and wrapping up shenanigans. I'm just a total mess so far.

Then enter the boyfriend watching me play with a merciless "Oooh.... a D. *yikes*. I thought this game was made by Platinum? Aren't you supposed to be good at those?"

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Man the rewards for orders sure don't feel like they match my actual stock...

Oh you need to actually manually select to obtain them WAKKA WAKKA

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    Man the rewards for orders sure don't feel like they match my actual stock...

Oh you need to actually manually select to obtain them WAKKA WAKKA

Yeah, I know right? Most of them are consumable anyways.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Oh my god, File 08.

Why.

Why would you do this to me?

Why would you do this to anyone?

On the bright side, I learned that I can give my camera to my dog so my dog can take pictures of me, so it wasn't a total loss.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    edited September 2019
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Oh my god, File 08.

Why.

Why would you do this to me?

Why would you do this to anyone?

On the bright side, I learned that I can give my camera to my dog so my dog can take pictures of me, so it wasn't a total loss.

If its the one I think, you can skip all that optional stuff right away. The picture taking case sucks, but its only blue. It's super generous on location though. I spent so long in the complete wrong area...

Polaritie on
    I deserve this.
    I was getting annoyed that i had to cross the road using the crosswalk and could not just run across the street until it suddenly let me do so and i ended up getting hit by a police car.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I'm never going to get tired of slamming into people while dashing around headquarters. :lol:

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    The thing I'm struggling with in terms of combat is crowd control. You can't spam dodge to get out of a crowd and it feels like lock on hinders you a lot. It's frustrating to even fight a bunch of regular human Hermit gang members.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    The thing I'm struggling with in terms of combat is crowd control. You can't spam dodge to get out of a crowd and it feels like lock on hinders you a lot. It's frustrating to even fight a bunch of regular human Hermit gang members.

I never fight humans, I just wrap my legion’s chain around them.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited September 2019

Barrier field item is helpful there...

But the best option is perfect call sync with beast legion. It does a long area attack around you and you are completely invincible with full control during it.

Polaritie on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Beast’s howl is also great for crowds.

If you can set it up, axe legion is hilarious for crowds. Gladius charge sync is a huge 180 sweep that sticks a time bomb in every enemy hit. The bombs are AoE. It works on crowds just like that sounds.

Also the twirl left stick and attack where it does the axe sweep. It's pretty great.

Oh wow I almost forgot about abilities, always forget to use them. Doesn't help that I use control type C that moves the abilities to L & R.

perfect call with anyone also gives you some I frames.

Auto-bind helps.

Super armor alpha on any given legion.

I wonder if we'll ever figure out who's wearing the lappy costume.

edited September 2019
    I wonder if we'll ever figure out who's wearing the lappy costume.

If I could find the last Lappy item I might know!
    But in all seriousness she just confesses in chapter... 7 or 8 I think

Polaritie on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Credits rolling. I Bumbled through that last boss so hard. Did not enjoy that fight.

Is there any way to avoid the
    one hit kill suck Orb other than jumping on the beast legion and freaking out?

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited September 2019
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Credits rolling. I Bumbled through that last boss so hard. Did not enjoy that fight.

Hmm. Not sure I remember that attack. Which phase? I don't recall eating any one-hit kills on Standard.

Though if it has wind effects the beast legion is a safe bet (though to be fair, riding it is a safe bet against anything). Does it break Blue Shield I wonder?

And of course perfect sync almost certainly works, if you're into timing counters.

Polaritie on
    DeMoN wrote: »

Riding arm legion and dodging, beast legion and running, dodging with really really good timing when it goes to close on you, uh...perfect calling probably works?

Beast legion is the easy way.

In this game about anime police officers and their robo demon weapons, I spent a solid 20 minutes trying to sneak up to and rescue a stray cat. It was then when I figured out you can equip empty cans to your item hotkey wheel.

In this game about anime police officers and their robo demon weapons, I spent a solid 20 minutes trying to sneak up to and rescue a stray cat. It was then when I figured out you can equip empty cans to your item hotkey wheel.

You can what?

You can throw empty cans like grenades to distract cats. Or to try and do a long distance trash toss.

Just started file 8 and i'm getting frustrated all of my legions and gear are stonewalled by premium codes and i think i have collected a solid 8 of them so far.

Just started file 8 and i'm getting frustrated all of my legions and gear are stonewalled by premium codes and i think i have collected a solid 8 of them so far.

You'll get a bunch as it goes on, but you'll finish the game long before you have enough to even max one legion. Don't worry about it, there's nothing crazy hiding behind the late locked panels.

• Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    The way I figure it, better to use them on gear upgrades that will be helpful no matter which legion is equipped, than to unlock a few more options for a single Legion that probably aren't that much better than the nodes I already need to fill in.

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    You can freely go back and play old files from the pc in the headquarters, and there are a bunch of hidden premium codes locked behind arm legion walls and beast legion dig areas and such. It's also worth it because there's dope unique enemies too.

This game has a LOT of different enemy types. True, they just kind of re-skin existing enemies and swap around their moves but it's still pretty fun to just constantly run into new stuff.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    The motivations for the main antagonists are confusing or stupid,
    -So to save humanity and earth from being corrupted and absorbed by another dimension, Yoseph wants to create an entirely new dimension that will absorb everything, but it's one that he controls?
    -I have no idea what the hell Jena was going for aside from simple revenge against Yoseph.

-So to save humanity and earth from being corrupted and absorbed by another dimension, Yoseph wants to create an entirely new dimension that will absorb everything, but it's one that he controls?
    -I have no idea what the hell Jena was going for aside from simple revenge against Yoseph.
    -I believe Yoseph believed that humanity needed to “ascend” to survive the existential threat of the astral plane. NOAH was his attempt to force all of humanity to become a single being with the power of a god, to survive the threat.

-It appears that Jena believed that humanity should be pulled into and merged with the astral plane, and then go on to... whatever the higher power in control of it had in mind next.

Enlong wrote: »
    -I believe Yoseph believed that humanity needed to “ascend” to survive the existential threat of the astral plane. NOAH was his attempt to force all of humanity to become a single being with the power of a god, to survive the threat.

-It appears that Jena believed that humanity should be pulled into and merged with the astral plane, and then go on to... whatever the higher power in control of it had in mind next.
    Yoseph has a god complex, and his plan was 100% to try and become god, basically. If you read the database entries for the final boss it's explicit that the idea was that he'd be in control.

Jena is ambiguous. It seems her main motivations were to stop Yoseph's plan, and to still deal with the threat of chimeras. Granted, she took an awful approach of never actually explaining herself, but it seems clear that her homunculi were more than capable of beating the shit out of chimeras. I think she mostly had them under control? It's unclear because she's not really concerned with property damage and such, but they seemed to take orders (granted, said orders were mostly "eat chimeras"). She was explicit about remaining human, though her perspective on that might be a bit warped considering the state she was in. On the other hand, she was still herself up until her final form, so I think it would be safe to say she could control chimeric aberration to a degree. Even her full chimera form was still her in control (Jena Apotheosis is unclear, the one before that though).

The ending of course is just "okay, we've got legion production back online" and kind of eh... I feel like Yoseph was definitely doing something to increase the rate of attacks (see how all hell breaks loose at the end of File 6), but it's unclear the actual state of affairs there and how much research was destroyed at ARI in the final battle, how much Jena documented, etc.

More confusing an ill explained than stupid. I just kinda let the Anime lack of explanation wash over me.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

You'll get a bunch as it goes on, but you'll finish the game long before you have enough to even max one legion. Don't worry about it, there's nothing crazy hiding behind the late locked panels.

This has been mentioned upthread several times but it bears repeating: don't forget to check your Orders. You don't automatically get the rewards for completing those, so you have to go into the Orders menu and collect them yourself. I'm pretty sure I got a Premium Material Code out of at least one of those, so you might have a few more waiting for you in there if you haven't checked it.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    The most important upgrades are stats and perfect call sync.

Also, there are a shitload of codes in the postgame. I'm actually gated on rare codes not premium now.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Man these cases never end. I've got all the cats and toilets now though.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    The gyro controls suck but I think I figured out the way the devs wanted you to hold the controller, at least in docked mode. Hold the controller vertically, sticks are parallel to the floor. In this position aiming with the Arrow Legion's bow action actually works, although I feel rotating to aim up and down is still too slow for my tastes.

And when holding the controller vertically I went from dropping boxes constantly to walking at full speed with confidence. Holding it in front of you vertically and tilting it like a toy steering wheel to balance.

Really there should be options to tweak sensitivity and toggle gyro on/off.