As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dem Primary: There Are Too Many Candidates Nowadays, Please Eliminate Twenty

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    He's going to show up in a custom Gundam suit.

And I don't mean a costume either, I mean an actual Mobile Suit.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    [Catches up on the... promotion for Yang's upcoming debate antics]

I just...

what.

What.

What

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Gym shorts and a t-shirt! We'll make it acceptable for work together! You can do it Yang! Be the change I want to see in the world.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    "Compensating for a lack of solutions?"

There. That's all you need to shut him down.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    doomybear wrote: »
    My guess is that he's going on stage in casual wear

Like, jeans and a polo

Or if he's feeling really brave, sweatpants and an oversized graphic t-shirt that says something like 'who, what, where, wine' and also slippers

Because he is just an average guy, man

Honestly, not the worst idea.

Trying to hype it up on Twitter, if that is indeed the case, is sillier.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    doomybear wrote: »
    My guess is that he's going on stage in casual wear

Like, jeans and a polo

Or if he's feeling really brave, sweatpants and an oversized graphic t-shirt that says something like 'who, what, where, wine' and also slippers

Because he is just an average guy, man

Honestly, not the worst idea.

Trying to hype it up on Twitter, if that is indeed the case, is sillier.

I mean one would hope that's what it is.

But you'd think the rational course would be to just say in advance that they're going to go casual dress instead of this weird... hype

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    This is as dumb as Jan Brady showing up to the dance with an afro.

• PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Yang is disrupting the 2020 election ! Hell ya.

Phasen on
    psn: PhasenWeeple
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I would really like a new Selzer/DMR poll of Iowa, but for now we'll have to work with national numbers.

CNN's seeing the same tightening/Warren surge everyone else.

Since Last Month
    Biden 24 (-5)
    Warren 18 (+4)
    Sanders 17 (+2)

Since April:
    Biden 24 (-15)
    Warren 18 (+10)
    Sanders 17 (+2)

Harris has 8, Buttigieg 6, O'Rourke 5

So Beto's had a mini-surge post-El Paso as well.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    This is straight out of Black Mirror.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Show me your fursuit andrew

PNk1Ml4.png
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

I don't see him going full fursuit, kigurumi would not be out of the question, though.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

I would bet on snow leopard

what a happy day it is
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Yang deserves way less attention than this

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I do like how he keeps UBI in the news though

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Yang's version of UBI is bad and shouldn't be kept in the news. Having to choose between UBI and other welfare programs is really dumb and is not a good first impression of that policy.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

I also like how he has the balls to point out automation is only going to kill more jobs instead of trying to give a quick handjob to blue collar workers like mining is ever coming back.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    Im concerned this is a kamikaze ploy to protect Biden and keep him in the race. But nobody can protect Biden from Biden.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I have figured out exactly what I think Yang is doing tomorrow.

His suit is going to have a name of every donor he's gotten written on it, with names sized based off of amount of donation.

He's going to talk about how the other candidates should do that for their corporate donors.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Yang's version of UBI is bad and shouldn't be kept in the news. Having to choose between UBI and other welfare programs is really dumb and is not a good first impression of that policy.

Depends on really how much attention people are paying. In these threads, multiple times, we've had people not know why Yang's plan was bad. And we are far more politically connected than the average person. I consider it much more likely that "UBI" is all of Yang's message that percolates to everyone else, not "UBI and also cutting welfare"

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I feel UBi an universal health care are welfare as many people in this state more than 15% live on less than 10k a year {health care on the other hand is laughably bad}

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I think Yang's plan might be miscalculated, as the kind of people who think a UBI in place of a functional safety net is a good idea are probably the sort of people who think poor people are just lazy slacker welfare queens. And those people don't vote in Democratic primaries, because they're generally not Democrats.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I think Yang's plan might be miscalculated, as the kind of people who think a UBI in place of a functional safety net is a good idea are probably the sort of people who think poor people are just lazy slacker welfare queens. And those people don't vote in Democratic primaries, because they're generally not Democrats.

Silicon Valley loves Yang’s plan, and it’s not because they are altruistic.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    a9jds999guw8.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    heh, Yang.
    oof, Biden.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    He said it before in interviews, and now he has a WaPo opinion piece about it. Ed Rendell (Biden guy, former DNC chairman) is calling out Warren on behalf the most vulnerable Democratic constituency - big beautiful donors, or BBDs. “I like Elizabeth Warren. Too bad she’s a hypocrite” is the title of it.

And given this is happening tomorrow:
    It’s particularly noteworthy that this is the first time Joe Biden and Elizabeth Warren will be onstage together. Due to the vagaries of random drawings, they were assigned to different nights for both of the first two debates.

So, I’m guessing it’s not some wild coincidence that someone in Biden world published that the night before the debate.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    My faith in her intellect tells me she has a good answer. Any politician that seriously attacks campaign finance reform should; since literally every single federal politician has taken those types of big donations/speaking fees before and it’s the easiest attack to see coming.

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Yang about tonight's debate:

Oh God.

He's going to drag everybody down with whatever ridiculous stunt he comes up, isn't he?
    3xca6zz05dly.gif

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    the op-ed has a really thin premise anyway; the basis for the 'hypocrite' charge is that warren took money from her senate re-election fund, some of which came from $1,000+ donors, and used it for her presidential campaign

which is dumb because 1) $1,000 isn't even close to the federal maximum and 2) warren never claimed to limit donation amounts, she just said she'd stop doing specific $per plate/cocktail/etc types of fundraising events. Anyone who wants to is still more than able to write her a check for the federal max. The point isn't that she's not taking money, it's that she's not trading access for it.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    The strategy from Biden advisors is to purity test Warren and remind everyone that she was once a republican and also a Harvard law professor. We will see if it works or not. I don't think it will.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    the op-ed has a really thin premise anyway; the basis for the 'hypocrite' charge is that warren took money from her senate re-election fund, some of which came from $1,000+ donors, and used it for her presidential campaign

which is dumb because 1) $1,000 isn't even close to the federal maximum and 2) warren never claimed to limit donation amounts, she just said she'd stop doing specific $per plate/cocktail/etc types of fundraising events. Anyone who wants to is still more than able to write her a check for the federal max. The point isn't that she's not taking money, it's that she's not trading access for it.

It gets better.

Second, Warren attacked former vice president Joe Biden for holding a kickoff fundraiser in Philadelphia in April, which she criticized as “a swanky private fund-raiser for wealthy donors” in an email to supporters the next day.

Well, I helped organize that affair, and I thought her attack was extremely hypocritical because nearly 20 of us who attended the Biden fundraiser had also given her $2,000 or more in 2018 at closed-door fundraisers in “swanky” locations.

The snipped bit includes the 'First' that is the transfer of money from her Senate campaign. The key thing is that it seems Ed Rendell has a sad because Warren said mean things about a fundraiser he held.

I can't even tell if this is an actual attack by Biden's campaign or if it's just another example of some idiot elite writing their equivalent of a letter to the editor saying there's too many states and we should eliminate two.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    It’s hard for me to believe that Ed Rendell is really concerned about hypocrisy, rather than the system that elevates people like him being left unblemished and for people to just pay him and his friend no mind. It’s much easier to spin a tale about hypocrisy than it is to write about how you deserve to have personal time with presidential candidates because you’ve always got to do it, so why stop now? Kids these days, etc.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    There's a very entertaining undercurrent of resentment behind a lot of Biden and his cheerleader's comments. Why are you getting in the way of what's his?

The strategy from Biden advisors is to purity test Warren and remind everyone that she was once a republican and also a Harvard law professor. We will see if it works or not. I don't think it will.

From what I’ve read in Ryan Lizza’s piece about the view from inside Biden’s camp, they really do think they’re the ones with the firm grasp on the politics at work.
    For a team in command of the Democratic primary, at least for now, they’re awfully resentful of how their man is being covered. And yet supremely confident that they, not the woke press that pounces on Biden’s every seeming error and blight in his record, has a vastly superior understanding of the Democratic electorate.

They brandish the many predictions of his demise as evidence of their more sophisticated understanding of the Democratic electorate. “He’s still leading the race nationally. He's leading in Iowa. It looks like he's in a dead heat in New Hampshire,” said the top Biden adviser. “I don't know why the story in New Hampshire isn't how Bernie Sanders went from sixty to fourteen. And why is it that Biden is beating Warren in Massachusetts?

They’re looking at their lead, and seeing in it evidence of their superior political minds, and nothing else.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Elki wrote: »

From what I’ve read in Ryan Lizza’s piece about the view from inside Biden’s camp, they really do think they’re the ones with the firm grasp on the politics at work.
    For a team in command of the Democratic primary, at least for now, they’re awfully resentful of how their man is being covered. And yet supremely confident that they, not the woke press that pounces on Biden’s every seeming error and blight in his record, has a vastly superior understanding of the Democratic electorate.

They brandish the many predictions of his demise as evidence of their more sophisticated understanding of the Democratic electorate. “He’s still leading the race nationally. He's leading in Iowa. It looks like he's in a dead heat in New Hampshire,” said the top Biden adviser. “I don't know why the story in New Hampshire isn't how Bernie Sanders went from sixty to fourteen. And why is it that Biden is beating Warren in Massachusetts?

They’re looking at their lead, and seeing in it evidence of their superior political minds, and nothing else.

They're campaign workers and consultants, gotta justify their egos and paychecks.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Ed Rendell has been a cancer on Democratic politics for the 20 years I've been paying attention.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    He said it before in interviews, and now he has a WaPo opinion piece about it. Ed Rendell (Biden guy, former DNC chairman) is calling out Warren on behalf the most vulnerable Democratic constituency - big beautiful donors, or BBDs. “I like Elizabeth Warren. Too bad she’s a hypocrite” is the title of it.

It’s particularly noteworthy that this is the first time Joe Biden and Elizabeth Warren will be onstage together. Due to the vagaries of random drawings, they were assigned to different nights for both of the first two debates.

So, I’m guessing it’s not some wild coincidence that someone in Biden world published that the night before the debate.
    Javen wrote: »
    My faith in her intellect tells me she has a good answer. Any politician that seriously attacks campaign finance reform should; since literally every single federal politician has taken those types of big donations/speaking fees before and it’s the easiest attack to see coming.

In my mind this is a huge, huge, huge mistake on the part of team Biden.

You release that day-of, and do not speak of it. You're giving Liz Warren an entire extra day to think up a response to this?

Elizabeth Warren, who would be the wizard to Obama's bard?

She's a professional thinker and is literally campaigning on the "I've got a plan for that..." mentality

And you give her time to plan?

Amateur hour.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Tox wrote: »

Javen wrote: »

In my mind this is a huge, huge, huge mistake on the part of team Biden.

You release that day-of, and do not speak of it. You're giving Liz Warren an entire extra day to think up a response to this?

Elizabeth Warren, who would be the wizard to Obama's bard?

She's a professional thinker and is literally campaigning on the "I've got a plan for that..." mentality

And you give her time to plan?

Amateur hour.

I guess the most you can say for it is that it's trying to do the 2004 Swiftboating thing of turning Kerry's strength (being a decorated combat vet vs. GWB's Air National Guard BS) into a weakness. But even then, I don't really remember Bush attacking Kerry directly on the subject. It was all astroturfing garbage that did that, so I'm pretty iffy that Biden directly confronting Warren on this during a debate. Especially since there's so many obvious ways to hit Biden on the subject that Warren wouldn't even need to prep for it. The bankruptcy bill is just so obvious, though maybe not to Biden and his supporters. Maybe it's some ploy to expose a weakness in the hopes that Sanders will attack her on it, but I just don't think that these guys are that bright. Plus Biden will probably be hitting out at pie-in-the-sky programs and talking about reaching across the aisle, which is far more likely to engage Sanders' rage mode.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I think the "no bug money fundraisers" thing by Warren is a gimmick and I know she's done them in the past because I've considered going to one before deciding a few thousand dollars wasn't worth it for a party I'd definitely feel uncomfortable at. If Warren was having them and Biden wasn't there still wouldn't be many people saying she was more friendly to business interests than he is. But lower office holders (even to the level of her Senate run) don't have the luxury of eschewing the fundraisers.

I think officeholders spend a stupid amount of time raising money to stay competitive. Until that paradigm changes, big money fundraisers being the fastest and most efficient way to raise money by headliners both for themselves and party infrastructure/low profile candidates is a pretty decent argument for their existence.

And even feeling that way this is a lame attack. Politicians do things for show, shocking! Hey let's let her trumpet this stand that will make her look good at the debate!

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The "she used to be a Republican" attack is a great way to set up some nice conversion story.

This discussion has been closed.