As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Thread! Streaming Service is live! Aquaman out in December! Comics, I guess!

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Tasty, delicious people.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I'm not even bothering to read the preview because I was sold on Steve Orlando and that cast
    Orlando is kinda like Snyder for me sometimes where I love his ideas but the execution doesn't quite work as well as I would like

Other times he just knocks it out of the park, like with Midnighter

Judging from the preview this definitely feels like the latter

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Apparently it will also debut a new character, the Red Phantom.
    2k9o0kvfn5ad.jpg

Not a ton of details, he has a human form and a demon form. The human form is a slick, handsome actor.

As for his history, Orlando would only say that "there is a building in Monstertown that has not had a successful crime committed in it for 100 years. He is why."

Neat!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    OK so this is gonna sound kinda dismissive, and I get people like Killer Croc and wanna see him do good, but doesn't he actually eat people

yes

like a hero

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Kill Flagg and replace him with Harley on a penance tour. Have her play the by-the-book character everyone has to bounce off of.

What a twist~!

sig.gif
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'm assuming the Red Phantom is connected with the Magus Theatre, based on that preview

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    People were posting a clip of Clayface on BTAS yesterday and it made me look up Clayface history

And boy I had no idea like 7 different people have been Clayface and now I don’t know which one is the good actor boy I love

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    So Tim Drake's new superhero name is... Drake.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Love it, honestly

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Yeah that's a really clever name, and still works with the bird theme

It's so, so much better than Red Robin that it hurts

Shame the costume isn't great, but I hope the name stays

• Options
    mz3u8l6hssuo.jpg
    James Tynion and Steve Epting are closing out Year of the Villain with Hell Arisen, pitting Lex Luthor's Legion of Doom against the Batman Who Laugh's Infected heroes.

Man

If you told me a year ago that James Tynion would be writing a book with Blue Beetle, Shazam, Hawkman, Supergirl and Jim Gordon in it and I would be actively disinterested in it I would have called you a fool

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    they're just bad KISS

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    they're just bad KISS
    But you repeat yourself

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    People were posting a clip of Clayface on BTAS yesterday and it made me look up Clayface history

And boy I had no idea like 7 different people have been Clayface and now I don’t know which one is the good actor boy I love

The animated series version was kind of an amalgam, yeah. He's named Matt Hagen, but comics Matt Hagen wasn't an actor. The only one who is an actor is Basil Karlo, who started as a completely non-powered type and didn't gain the signature shapeshifting until like forty years later, when he was injected with blood from one of the other later Clayfaces.

So honestly a lot of what happened in the animated series was original to the animated series. The other source that may be significant for him is Montgomery Clift, a classic Hollywood actor who suffered a disfiguring car accident in the 1950s, the complications from which eventually led to his death. Montgomery Clift was bisexual, and the character of Hagen's stunt double in the episode can very clearly be read as being his boyfriend.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Is Palpatine a DC character now

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    what's evil gordon even going to do

look the other way while someone trafficks drugs

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I never needed to see Jugalo Supergirl.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

BTAS Clayface is Matt Hagen, though his actor backstory is more like Basil Karlo

In the comics Hagen was a treasure hunter

• Options
    "it's me, reverse jim gordon. my superpower is that i want to find out who the batman is, but now am incapable of doing so"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    He can only turn off the Bat Signal.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    He can only turn off the Bat Signal.

Nah, he can turn it on too, problem is he only works the day shift now, so you can't actually see the thing.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

The animated series version was kind of an amalgam, yeah. He's named Matt Hagen, but comics Matt Hagen wasn't an actor. The only one who is an actor is Basil Karlo, who started as a completely non-powered type and didn't gain the signature shapeshifting until like forty years later, when he was injected with blood from one of the other later Clayfaces.

So honestly a lot of what happened in the animated series was original to the animated series. The other source that may be significant for him is Montgomery Clift, a classic Hollywood actor who suffered a disfiguring car accident in the 1950s, the complications from which eventually led to his death. Montgomery Clift was bisexual, and the character of Hagen's stunt double in the episode can very clearly be read as being his boyfriend.

Man, those two episodes are really good.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Event Leviathan had a fuckin great end reveal this week
    Its a relatively low key issue with the Detective Crew talking through the case and stumbling onto some potential leads

But then Lois Lane sneaks out of Wayne Manor in one of Bruce's Aston Martin's while asking Clark to give her space

She drives to a secret rendezvous where she reveals that this entire time she has had a whole separate team working on the case because she doesn't trust the main one.

They are Zatanna, Deathstroke, Harvey Bullock, Elongated Man, Renee Montoya Question and some handsome white dude in a suit I couldn't immediately recognize

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    the corpse paint look is fucking hilarious in that preview image

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Its a relatively low key issue with the Detective Crew talking through the case and stumbling onto some potential leads

But then Lois Lane sneaks out of Wayne Manor in one of Bruce's Aston Martin's while asking Clark to give her space

She drives to a secret rendezvous where she reveals that this entire time she has had a whole separate team working on the case because she doesn't trust the main one.

They are Zatanna, Deathstroke, Harvey Bullock, Elongated Man, Renee Montoya Question and some handsome white dude in a suit I couldn't immediately recognize
    Looked like John Constantine to me.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    the corpse paint look is fucking hilarious in that preview image

just straight up aping immortal cover shoots in that image

lfq3issik1fx.jpg

x06uj9ya1eus.jpg

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Oh my god

• Options
    immortal: the stupidest band of all time

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

but he didn't start from the bottom at all! His parents were peers of the Waynes.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

Which Deathstroke? Cause Slade's currently dead in his book last I heard and Rose's dressing like him to pull off one last job in his name.

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »

Which Deathstroke? Cause Slade's currently dead in his book last I heard and Rose's dressing like him to pull off one last job in his name.
    Bendis says it isn't Slade but won't reveal who it is yet

Also the white dude is confirmed to be Constantine

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Batman this week was The Big Issue that has been coming since #50
    Selena and Bruce are on a tropical resort island, Selena having nursed Bruce back to health over the months since he was broken.

They spend the entire issue talking around how they left each other, both agreeing they were fine and understand why it ended.

And then, finally, while trying to re-train with Bruce, the facade breaks:
    gg8a9ir3czli.jpg
    egiu6szi4sws.jpg
    xkrk33ykt1ni.jpg
    tkeqeipi0a02.jpg
    39wrx34cx7c1.jpg

This made me extremely happy

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    catwoman's superpower is walking on a beach in stilettos

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

To say nothing of wearing skintight leather cat suits on a tropical beach.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Batman this week was The Big Issue that has been coming since #50
    Selena and Bruce are on a tropical resort island, Selena having nursed Bruce back to health over the months since he was broken.

They spend the entire issue talking around how they left each other, both agreeing they were fine and understand why it ended.

And then, finally, while trying to re-train with Bruce, the facade breaks:
    gg8a9ir3czli.jpg
    egiu6szi4sws.jpg
    xkrk33ykt1ni.jpg
    tkeqeipi0a02.jpg
    39wrx34cx7c1.jpg

This made me extremely happy

Alternative grumpy take:
    Maybe not being left at the altar and then betrayed by my father would make me more effective and less suicidal. I am a great detective you see.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    see317 wrote: »

To say nothing of wearing skintight leather cat suits on a tropical beach.
    The stilletos are goofy sure but thats literally every superhero costume ever, they are almost never appropriate for any environment

Like Batman is also in head to toe skin tight material

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Or crop tops to the Arctic. But its ok, because they have a fluffy hood.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    In reference to that conversation
    why is Bruce calling her 'Cat' instead of Selina?

sig.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    In reference to that conversation
    why is Bruce calling her 'Cat' instead of Selina?
    One of Tom King's things is that they call each other Bat and Cat.

• Options
    DC is doing one (1) interesting thing with its INFECTED heroes

The Donna Troy one-shot, described as a book about a woman who has tried to bring peace and goodness to the world time and time again and only recieved pain and hardship in return and is now ready to burn it all down

Is being written by Zoe Quinn

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.