As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Ok just beat SGnG. The bracelet has to be like the worst weapon in the game and you have to do it with that thing!

Man, the sad thing about SNES on the Switch...is now I have this itch to get the Mega Man, X, Castlevania and Contra Collections. Because there's like 0 chance they'll come to the service.

EDIT: Too many games!!!! argh and now I want to buy Doom 3.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    wtf

https://ec.nintendo.com/NZ/en/titles/70010000017615

Contra Rogue Corps demo? Was this announced?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I am like 35 hours in to Fire Emblem and have no idea when it will end. I’m enjoying it a lot, but it feels like the plot just kicked off, so I assume I have a looooong time to go yet.

Yep I finished at around 60 hours.

About 60 hours for my first playthrough as well. Though I was unsatisfied with my understanding of why anything happened the way it happened, about 2 or 3 major plot threads from Part 1 went totally unanswered. So I immediately started another playthrough as another house. I knew Part 1 would play out the same, but I'm a bit let down at how much Part 2 is also playing out the same. So far totally identical missions in an identical order, with different, sometimes only slightly different, story reasons for being there. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I just thought it'd be more varied.

I think the most exciting thing about my second playthrough are that I'm getting some different paralogues which answer some interesting niche questions and fill out the lore. But basically my first playthrough with Dmitri was myopically focused on his personal story, and my second with Claude has him voicing a lot of the questions I have about the greater world and it's history... and still not finding answers. Yet. At least I'm getting more hints.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    I am like 35 hours in to Fire Emblem and have no idea when it will end. I’m enjoying it a lot, but it feels like the plot just kicked off, so I assume I have a looooong time to go yet.

About 60 hours for my first playthrough as well. Though I was unsatisfied with my understanding of why anything happened the way it happened, about 2 or 3 major plot threads from Part 1 went totally unanswered. So I immediately started another playthrough as another house. I knew Part 1 would play out the same, but I'm a bit let down at how much Part 2 is also playing out the same. So far totally identical missions in an identical order, with different, sometimes only slightly different, story reasons for being there. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I just thought it'd be more varied.

I think the most exciting thing about my second playthrough are that I'm getting some different paralogues which answer some interesting niche questions and fill out the lore. But basically my first playthrough with Dmitri was myopically focused on his personal story, and my second with Claude has him voicing a lot of the questions I have about the greater world and it's history... and still not finding answers. Yet. At least I'm getting more hints.

I went with Edelgard and was satisfied from start to finish. But I think Claude is my next playthrough (I don't know when I'll find the time to squeeze in another 50 or so hours of a game I've already played).

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular

I went with Edelgard and was satisfied from start to finish. But I think Claude is my next playthrough (I don't know when I'll find the time to squeeze in another 50 or so hours of a game I've already played).

I had a sneaking suspicion Edelgard's route held the motherload of answers. I'm trying to save it for last because of that. Built up towards it, you know? This may have been a mistake. I'm not sure I have 200 hours to invest in this game. Not with everything else pouring out.

I saw another review calling Astral Chain a GOTY contender. It's so, so tempting, despite the fact that for whatever reason, Platinum games just always rub me the wrong way.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Based on what I've heard of the stories, the developers seem to really have been biased towards siding with Empress Waifu as the "correct" choice. I eventually plan to check the rest out myself though just as soon as I'm done playing matchmaker in this route...

• Options

I had a sneaking suspicion Edelgard's route held the motherload of answers. I'm trying to save it for last because of that. Built up towards it, you know? This may have been a mistake. I'm not sure I have 200 hours to invest in this game. Not with everything else pouring out.

I saw another review calling Astral Chain a GOTY contender. It's so, so tempting, despite the fact that for whatever reason, Platinum games just always rub me the wrong way.

AC is weird for me. I absolutely, positively love Platinum games. And AC has the BEST feeling combat ever and a lot of the cutscenes are great. But it has some of the worst filler I've ever had the displeasure of playing in many years of gaming. If this was a movie I would be pining for a "Director's Cut" edition that lets me get straight to the fun parts of the game (the action) and removes everything else.

• Options
    Obviously that's just my opinion on the matter. People love the parts between the story and the action and that's fine! Honestly I'd say wait for it to go on sale at this point. Especially if Platinum games rub you the wrong way... although I will say that this game is WAY more generous with it's grading scales if that's what bothers you. You can even enjoy the game without having it grade you! The grading scale does not care how much damage you take or how many items you use. It's all about using multiple techniques/legions/etc. It's really awesome.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Restarted Breath of the Wild last night.
    TERRIBLE idea. It's going to suck me in, I can feel it. I forgot how immersive the game is.

I didn't like that I had to erase my old save. I guess maybe I could have changed profiles but wasn't interested enough since it's unlikely I'd ever play the old file since it's been SOOOO long since I touched it.

vamen on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Maybe we should re-consider the tournament/league concept now that SNES games are here. @MNC Dover

Judging by all the hearts and agrees and no actual replies I'm gonna guess the answer is no.

It'd be nice if we played games together.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Maybe we should re-consider the tournament/league concept now that SNES games are here. @MNC Dover

Judging by all the hearts and agrees and no actual replies I'm gonna guess the answer is no.

It'd be nice if we played games together.

I’d really like to see this happen, but don’t have the time to organize it for the next month or so (moving time!).

That said, here’s the list of directly competitive/multiplayer games available:

Mario Kart
    F-Zero
    Super Tennis
    Kirby’s Dream Course
    Super Soccer
    Stunt Race FX
    Super Puyo Puyo 2

And some games I think we could compete in despite being single player:

Super Mario World (completion times, coins in a level)

Super Metroid (basically speedrun rules, maybe on a section by section basis, ie fastest to reach Norfair)

Link to the Past (most hearts gathered in X hours, speedruns like with Metroid)

Star Fox (does the SNES version include a stage score? If not, maybe remaining health for yourself and squad)

Etc. Most of the above can be applied to other games as well (Yoshi’s Island, EDF, Pilotwings). I think co-op games like Joe and Mac could provide a fun twist too, working in pairs to get the best/fastest [metric of choice].

Anyway, hope to see this happen!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah sorry, I forgot to reply. We can try and work some multiplayer out within the thread. Perhaps an 8/16 player Mario Kart tournament? Players get paired up and race to determine who advances.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Based on what I've heard of the stories, the developers seem to really have been biased towards siding with Empress Waifu as the "correct" choice. I eventually plan to check the rest out myself though just as soon as I'm done playing matchmaker in this route...

See I feel like I've heard the exact opposite. I don't want to be spoilery, and honestly I don't even know many spoilers, but some people might consider talking about the story framework etc. as spoilery so I'll put this behind a tag anyway. What I heard is
    There's an FMV cutscene at one point that happens on the other routes, that doesn't happen on the Edelgard route so it's confusing as to what happens there if it's your first playthrough. The other routes get a better understanding of the sequence of events and why things are happening. Several people said it felt like Edelgard's route was rushed, underdeveloped, and doesn't give as much of a satisfying conclusion. I can't say for sure whether that's true obviously.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

See I feel like I've heard the exact opposite. I don't want to be spoilery, and honestly I don't even know many spoilers, but some people might consider talking about the story framework etc. as spoilery so I'll put this behind a tag anyway. What I heard is
    There's an FMV cutscene at one point that happens on the other routes, that doesn't happen on the Edelgard route so it's confusing as to what happens there if it's your first playthrough. The other routes get a better understanding of the sequence of events and why things are happening. Several people said it felt like Edelgard's route was rushed, underdeveloped, and doesn't give as much of a satisfying conclusion. I can't say for sure whether that's true obviously.

I'm not sure...
    On the Edelgard campaign you do see her get the crown from her home kingdom, which you know come with some.... Strings... attached to it. And you can tell that she has something up her sleeve. I loved the tonal shift, personally.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    They need Pinball Quest.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    This just gave me a revolutionary idea: RPG Quest. You know how Puzzle Quest is an RPG where every fight is a game of match-3? RPG Quest is an RPG where every fight is a full RPG game nested inside the main game.

BRB making a Kickstarter page and picking out which island I'm gonna buy with my trillions of dollars.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Krathoon wrote: »
    They need Pinball Quest.

Pinball Quest is shockingly unique and fun for the NES. It needs a modern reinterpretation.

Like seriously, RPG where you buy and equip new and stronger flippers?!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I loved Pinball Quest. One of my all time favorite NES games.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    I hope they remove that infinite exploit from this version of Puzzle Quest.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/09/that_hidden_led_light_on_your_nintendo_switch_controller_finally_has_a_use

I had no idea the ring around the home button on the Pro Controller can light up. What the hell? Why would they build that in there and then never use it?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Boy and His Blob would also be good.

• Options

The remakeaster or the original?

• Options
    Drez wrote: »

The remakeaster or the original?

The original.

• Options
    wtf

I'm fairly certain it's been in the Coming Soon section of the eShop for weeks.

• Options
    I'd love Faxanadu, Battle of Olympus, and Deadly Towers.

• Options
    Was Deadly Towers impossible to beat?

• Options

Who knows, I never beat it.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    wtf

The game was announced at E3, but I think they meant the demo which was shadow dropped I think.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Yeah sorry, I forgot to reply. We can try and work some multiplayer out within the thread. Perhaps an 8/16 player Mario Kart tournament? Players get paired up and race to determine who advances.

This is really getting in the way of me being bitchy and mopey.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I'd love Faxanadu, Battle of Olympus, and Deadly Towers.

8 Eyes, Solstice, and Castlequest for me.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/09/that_hidden_led_light_on_your_nintendo_switch_controller_finally_has_a_use

I had no idea the ring around the home button on the Pro Controller can light up. What the hell? Why would they build that in there and then never use it?

If you connect the controller to steam you can turn the light on or off on the settings.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    I am looking at NES Popeye on eBay.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

No, but it was full on Ghosts 'n' Goblins levels of ball-busting. I've beaten it without save states once.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Isn't there a speedrun for it on the GDQ youtube channel?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    If I remember right it's a game where once you know the lay of the land it gets easier and easier the further you get into it, as you get items for reducing damage like Zelda's blue and red rings, etc.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    If I remember right it's a game where once you know the lay of the land it gets easier and easier the further you get into it, as you get items for reducing damage like Zelda's blue and red rings, etc.

It helps, but the final 3 boss gauntlet can still be incredibly frustrating and the sound effects are simply god-awful after awhile, you just want the pain to stop.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    wtf

The game was announced at E3, but I think they meant the demo which was shadow dropped I think.

It is not at all a surprise that they shadow dropped that demo. The game has been getting only terrible press. Due to it looking.....you know, fucking awful.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    wtf

It is not at all a surprise that they shadow dropped that demo. The game has been getting only terrible press. Due to it looking.....you know, fucking awful.

You're already building on shaky ground when the perspective of your Contra game is the same as Legacy of War.

• Options
    Monster Party