As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Podcasts] Now listen to this

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Hating-People-Before-It's-Cool has become very in-vogue on the left.

I idly wonder if this is, in any part, a response to right-wing politics being dominated by idolatry of celebrity. A, "Well fuck, let's never fall into THAT trap" defense mechanism

(I also don't think it's INHERENTLY bad to be suspicious of any celebrity who gets active in political spaces, but jumping from skepticism to "eeeeeeeevil" is lazy)
    nah, there's still plenty of celebrity idolatry it just mostly applies to youtubers, podcasters, and for some reason glenn greenwald.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    John McCain

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Y'all remember that skyrim mod what turned the dragons into randy savage?

Y'all remember that skyrim came out... 8 years ago?

Feels like longer.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    'I had a visceral reaction to this person for no clearly definable reason, and proceeded to search for ways to both justify this emotional response, and a means to bully people into adopting this view, for fear of being labelled as less morally pure'

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm pretty neutral on LMM

He seems like a nice enough guy but also the way Hamilton lionizes Alexander Hamilton sticks in my craw a bit

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    John McCain

I really dont know what you're doing here

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    I guess everything before 2016 feels like it happened a century ago huh

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Everything is bad and you will be disappointed

edited September 2019
    Set a main elder scrolls game in elswhyre or blackmarsh you cowards.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Way too much respect for Happy Rap Schoolhouse Rock going on in here so I'm posting this cursed image.

JG3IzPT.png

Mwx884o.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I'm pretty neutral on LMM

He seems like a nice enough guy but also the way Hamilton lionizes Alexander Hamilton sticks in my craw a bit

I think Hamilton is fine if you don't treat it any more seriously than, say, 1776 or Evita or Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson. They're works of historical fiction, some more accurate than others, but still ultimately fiction.

That said, I have seen a lot of people take Hamilton as gospel truth in a way that they might not the others, but I don't think I can really blame LMM for that.

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Yeah Hamilton is a cool fun musical I enjoyed

I'd hardly call it historical fact, though, it's just fun

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Hercules Mulligan WAS a rapper and I challenge you to prove otherwise

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Even if you do treat Hamilton as gospel the musical isn't exactly depicting ol' Ham as a hero without flaws.

Quire.jpg
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Was there ever a way to see Hamilton without booking a trip to Broadway and spend how-the-fuck-much on the secondary market? Because for a hot minute while internet thinkpieces proclaimed it as this event civic-minded Americans were practically duty bound to see, I was always annoyed that this Important Work was only in reach of people with money.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Burgle my Banana has officially broken

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Was there ever a way to see Hamilton without booking a trip to Broadway and spend how-the-fuck-much on the secondary market? Because for a hot minute while internet thinkpieces proclaimed it as this event civic-minded Americans were practically duty bound to see, I was always annoyed that this Important Work was only in reach of people with money.

There have been touring productions, yeah. And y'know, bootlegs and all that.

Yeah I saw it here in Des Moines

The Hamilton was so-so, but the rest of the cast was great!

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I think part of the reason certain people were looking for a reason to hate Miranda is because he made an extremely successful hip hop musical with an all minority cast about some of the whitest history imaginable, and that sticks in some people’s craw like he’s some kind of race traitor or whatever the hell

At least that’s a vibe I’ve gotten in the past

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

They also lotteried a couple of rows-worth of tickets for $10 for many (if not most) of their show dates.

They also lotteried a couple of rows-worth of tickets for $10 for many (if not most) of their show dates.

A lottery ain’t the same thing

I dunno, for as much as Miranda talked about wanting the studio album to be as good a way to experience the thing as seeing it, he seems to be firmly against the idea of filming it so people who aren’t rich can actually see it, and that’s always bothered me

signature-deffo.jpg
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    It's okay to just think lin-manuel miranda is annoying

PNk1Ml4.png
    Olivaw wrote: »

I dunno, for as much as Miranda talked about wanting the studio album to be as good a way to experience the thing as seeing it, he seems to be firmly against the idea of filming it so people who aren’t rich can actually see it, and that’s always bothered me

That's standard practice for Broadway musicals. It feels like a weird thing to hold against him.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

There is a great Sarah Z video about this. That seems to be a take that many in theater tend to share and to be honest I think I understand even though I think its wrong. There isn't really an easy answer making it more available to people that isn't essentially putting out a subpar version of your art. More companies traveling around performing Hamilton means less direct control on the quality and these people tend to believe there is something special about a live performance that gets taken away if you just watch a filmed version of it so that isn't a good substitute for it either.

But ultimately that line of logic does great a paywall and keeps people away from important work so maybe just release a taped version of the musical, Lin.

Quire.jpg
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    broadway is like the most bougie shit and i'm so over it

liEt3nH.png
    I am dozing off because I have to quit my adhd meds until my thyroid thing is sorted out

But I just startled myself out of nearly falling asleep with this thought

Knuckle tattoos on one hand "d o d r" other hand "u g s ! "

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Lin-Manuel Miranda is a bad Gizmoduck.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852

That's standard practice for Broadway musicals. It feels like a weird thing to hold against him.

I think it’s because he got out and said “I think everyone should be able to experience this” and then that sentiment rings a bit hollow when you can’t fully follow through on it

But also I don’t care about broadway musicals so this is the first time that practice ever affected me, perhaps if I had cared about them in the past I’d feel differently

signature-deffo.jpg
    edited September 2019
    Yeah like, this is something I've been around for most of my life. I've never been a Broadway/musical person myself, but I've spent a lot of time around them. Being into Broadway means piecing things together from bootlegs and scripts and cast recordings - that's a whole part of the fandom, I would argue.

If you want more accessible theatre, then go out and find what your local theatre scene is doing. Not all of it is going to be Hamilton, but some of it you might like better, and by supporting a local arts scene you allow that scene to thrive and grow.

Filming theatre doesn't make theatre more accessible, it makes people less likely to go to the theatre.

Straightzi on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Good lord, I'm not sure how much more Burgle my Bananas I have in me; this game is just dire and seeing everyone suffer through it is losing its charm pretty quickly.

broadway is like the most bougie shit and i'm so over it

Also this

Like I understand that there is something special about being there for a live performance, and that it can create tones or artistic effects that are lost in a performance for recording

But fuckin’ c’mon

signature-deffo.jpg
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Yeah like, this is something I've been around for most of my life. I've never been a Broadway/musical person myself, but I've spent a lot of time around them. Being into Broadway means piecing things together from bootlegs and scripts and cast recordings - that's a whole part of the fandom, I would argue.

If you want more accessible theatre, then go out and find what your local theatre scene is doing. Not all of it is going to be Hamilton, but some of it you might like better, and by supporting a local arts scene you allow that scene to thrive and grow.

Filming theatre doesn't make theatre more accessible, it makes people less likely to go to the theatre.

This is a massively privileged position my dude

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    I have not seen a live theater production since like middle school

See I think that’s a false equivalency

I would argue that filming theatre does both!

signature-deffo.jpg
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I saw Hamilton last year and loved it, but I spent three years with just the cast recording and loved that at least as much. It was incredibly emotionally resonant for me (I cried at music! That doesn’t happen much!) and as excited as I was to finally see a production, at no point did I feel like the cast recording was a lesser version or like I was missing out. I honestly thought it would be many more years before I’d be able to see the show and I was fine with that

I dunno, that’s my two cents on it. Your mileage may vary

See I think that’s a false equivalency

I would argue that filming theatre does both!

I dunno, I don't have any actual data behind it, so maybe I'm off base.

But when I was doing shows, I would consistently have people ask me to film it for them. Relatives and stuff like that, you know, but still, the idea was always there that they cared about what I was doing but not enough to spend ten bucks watching it. So I have a pretty negative reaction to that sort of thing.

Plus filmed theatre almost universally looks bad, even the stuff that the Met does is not great, and I don't think that sort of stuff being available is going to help its image really.

I don't really get filming theater being any different than like, filming the Super Bowl

People still want to go see the thing, because it's a vastly different experience than seeing it on your TV, or even in a movie theater or whatever

edited September 2019
    I think I see the point though.

Like filming live theater could end up like... Squishing? The like ownership of the production down to who owns the distribution rights of the final product? Which might remove incentives for local theater companies or troupes to perform more shows or even form in the long run if everyone can just rent the "definitive" version of a play on Google or what have you with the proceeds only going to a much smaller pool of people than having a widespread culture of performance art?

Like ideally most large enough cities should have their own healthy live theater scene in a perfect world I think.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Good lord, I'm not sure how much more Burgle my Bananas I have in me; this game is just dire and seeing everyone suffer through it is losing its charm pretty quickly.

Wait, now they're just spending bananas to force Dan to keep spinning the wheel in the hope that it fucks him over. This is great.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited September 2019
    I was lucky enough to see Hamilton in SF because my sister paid for the tickets

There is nooo way I would have been able to afford it on my own

Moriveth on
This discussion has been closed.