As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Discworld] Who Watches The Watchmen In The Watch?

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Yes, but she has no intention of writing more books (though I believe he said she could). She's basically overseeing the media rights.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    From what I have seen, the first Discworld game is Guards! Guards! but with Rincewind.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Cast younger Colm Meaney as Vimes. I always imagined Vimes as a bit of an O'Brien sort.

You think he's a fairly average, if somewhat downtrodden, everyman, but secretly he's extremely good at what he does.

Also don't mess with his family or you find out why they call him the hero of Setlekk 3.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Or in the case of Vimes, that he is inordinately concerned about the location of his cow.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    Been doing a reread of the series lately. Hit The Truth, and honestly speaking, I still don't like William. Like, the narrative is clearly trying to play a bit with points of view to present him as sympathetic and other characters such as the Watch as kind of obstructive jerks, but the thing is that William himself earns a half-brick-sock across the face so often that it's kind of hard for it to actually take.

So actually a very true representation of journalism?

Heh, a bit, perhaps, but it still makes him rather hard to root for.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I am watching the Discworld cartoons. I watched Wyrd Sisters and I am working my way through Soul Music. Soul Music is the better one. I bought them but it looks like both of them are on YouTube.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Daniel Radcliffe for Stibbons, given that HP is pretty much based on him. But with acting that's good.

Oliver Coopersmith (Whitey from Tin Star) would be a fabulous Mr. Teatime.

Charles Dance would be better suited for the head of the Assassin's Guild.

Tim Roth for... someone. He'd fit in that world, just not sure as who.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ... I think with some added CGI, Tim Roth could probably play Nobby. But he'd be good in a whole bunch of roles.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    ... I think with some added CGI, Tim Roth could probably play Nobby. But he'd be good in a whole bunch of roles.

If you've seen the latest episode of the Good Place (or that scene from Being John Malkovich), Tim Roth for ALL the roles.

• Options
    He would actually make a pretty stellar Granny Weatherwax.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Given the implications in the text that Esme's aged very gracefully (despite her best efforts to become a proper crone), maybe Cate Blanchett for Weatherwax? She was able to pull off a white wig for The House With A Clock In Its Walls,

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Tilda Swinton for Reg Shoe, maybe?

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Charles Dance for Professor Whiteface.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Matt Ryan would make a pretty good Vimes I think.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Who is playing young Vimes and young Vetinari opposite old Keel and Lord Winder?

edit: Malkovich for Carcer? Or Jake Gyllenhaal?

honovere on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Tom Cruise for Carcer. If anyone can play a smug self-assured psychotic loon…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

What do you mean, "play"?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

What do you mean, "play"?

Well, he’d have to wear lifts…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Some interesting, even bold, casting choices. Dormer as Vimes is pretty good. Lara Rossi is an interesting choice, not because of skin color but of her size; hopefully they know what they're doing there.

https://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/richard-dormer-leads-watch-cast/

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Yeah I'm not keen on the textual changes that implies.
    by all means cast her black, but Lady Sybil is usually described as operatically statuesque, to say the least. Plus older than Vimes, IRRC, or at least over 40.

tynic on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I pictured Carcer older. I don't know why exactly

• Options
    edited September 2019
    I always pictured him fairly young, but also creepier looking. But headcanon aside, apart from Lady Sybil that looks like pretty good casting. (I'm willing to be sold on having a younger Sybil if they make her bolshie enough, but it still kind of sucks for middle-aged overweight female representation).

tynic on
  • Options
    by all means cast her black, but Lady Sybil is usually described as operatically statuesque, to say the least. Plus older than Vimes, IRRC, or at least over 40.

Yeah, she's gotta be someone who can wrassle a swamp dragon.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I think Vimes may be older than you expect by the books but yeah, the actress looks very young for Sybil.

A little concerned they're casting Carcer already since I feel that whole story needs some set up to really hit home as it should.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    My mental image of Vimes is in the 50-ish region, but he could also easily be a particularly beaten down and alcoholic 45.
    Dormer is great casting, though. His Fortitude work seems particularly relevant.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    My main thought was, "Oh, they're going with Carcer straight away"

I was hoping for something more Discworldy - breaking and decorating, mime artistry, stuff like that, rather than just mass murderer

He's only interesting in the book because of the setting, really

So yeah, I'm not holding out much hope right now, but I suppose Carcer could be a background presence initially while the setting gets established

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

I think Vimes may be older than you expect by the books but yeah, the actress looks very young for Sybil.

A little concerned they're casting Carcer already since I feel that whole story needs some set up to really hit home as it should.

Don't forget this isn't intended to be the story from Night Watch; this series is a new story line.

• Options

Don't forget this isn't intended to be the story from Night Watch; this series is a new story line.

I guess with how Night Watch ended for Carcer it would have to be before that. Which makes sense as he was a known bad dude before that, just not mentioned. From casting we'd be looking like post-Feet of Clay if they maintained a timeline. Not worrying about an actual time line would be a pretty Pratchett thing to do though.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I guess with how Night Watch ended for Carcer it would have to be before that. Which makes sense as he was a known bad dude before that, just not mentioned. From casting we'd be looking like post-Feet of Clay if they maintained a timeline. Not worrying about an actual time line would be a pretty Pratchett thing to do though.

Pratchett seemed to have all his timeline and anachronism worries tightly tied up, securely gagged, and locked away in the box labeled "Time monks did it".

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

Pratchett seemed to have all his timeline and anachronism worries tightly tied up, securely gagged, and locked away in the box labeled "Time monks did it".

Supposedly he didn't think Ankh-Morpork could be mapped. Like he didn't really have any kind of map laid out, he just had super vague ideas. He just described things as he wanted when writing. Then somebody came to him and offered to put together a really nice map and they did so and made all his descriptions work.

Unsure if that's Pratchett being amazing, the cartographer being great or both just knowing when to smile, nod, and say thanks for your compliments.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    The real question is who is playing Nobby Nobbs?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    A repurposed puppet from The Dark Crystal.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, as a friend of mine noted, "For those who don't know discworld, Lady Sybil is very much not three things: young, tiny, or ever presented as being less for not being the other two."

Then again, in this twitter thread, in the very first tweet, it says the series is "inspired" by Pratchett's novels, which combined with character descriptions implies some significant changes.

• Options
    Yeah, I just saw a description of the series that say Sybil is a vigilante, Corporal Angua has to teach the new naive Constable Carrot and describes Cheery as "native".

So I'm thinking they're changing quite a bit.

• Options
    DunderDunder Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    The real question is who is playing Nobby Nobbs?

Mackenzie Crook.

EDIT: my preferred actor, not an official casting

Dunder on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Wasn't there a description of Carrot in one of the books that was basically that people took his straightforwardness for naïveté at their own peril?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Wasn't there a description of Carrot in one of the books that was basically that people took his straightforwardness for naïveté at their own peril?

The perfect Carrot is the lead actor from OUTLANDER

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited September 2019

In Guards! Guards! it appears genuine. Like halfway through Men at Arms a switch flips where he needs to step up and oh boy does he step up.

Edit: Oh and then there is Troll Bridge which shows how straightforward is not the same as stupid to the surprise of MANY.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options

Something like, "Simple didn't mean stupid. You had to be very complex indeed to be as simple as Carrot."

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    What Carrot is, is sincere.