As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tekken and Other Fighting Games That Aren't Tekken, I Guess (digital karate simulations)

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    templewulf wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Online Noctis players probably having a heart attack rn.

Why, what happened? Didn't he mostly get buffs?

Yeah but his d/b2(Lower Damage, Pushes Enemy further away on block, Lower range, Less tracking) and d/b1+2(Less tracking) are a lot less autopilot.

So for smart Noctis players it isn't a bit deal and overall he probably is more solid but for folks whose main gameplan consisted of those two moves(which was a lot) its a major nerf.

I may actually play him now. I like the character but I kind of hated the way he was played.

Dragkonias on
  • GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Is Zafina's hand thing Soul Edge or something? Because it almost seems like if soul edge was embedded in somebody's hand.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    tekken 7 is on sale on steam this week (but not the season 3 dlc for some reason?)

Jasconius on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Geddoe wrote: »
    Is Zafina's hand thing Soul Edge or something? Because it almost seems like if soul edge was embedded in somebody's hand.

Looks like something to do with the final boss of Tekken 6. Bird human thing that was imprisoned in a bunch of crystals. You can see it in the intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wke9OqAtcw

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Online Noctis players probably having a heart attack rn.

Why, what happened? Didn't he mostly get buffs?

Yeah but his d/b2(Lower Damage, Pushes Enemy further away on block, Lower range, Less tracking) and d/b1+2(Less tracking) are a lot less autopilot.

So for smart Noctis players it isn't a bit deal and overall he probably is more solid but for folks whose main gameplan consisted of those two moves(which was a lot) its a major nerf.

I may actually play him now. I like the character but I kind of hated the way he was played.

I really like him and play him as a third stringer when I'm up against newer players. I don't think these buffs will take him to the top tiers, but I may practice him seriously now.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    Geddoe wrote: »

That would be on brand for them, but it looks way more like Nero's devil arm, IMO.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Its Azrael. Zafina took a part of his soul or whatever into herself(as it's her family's job to keep him contained) but can't control it.

• l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Zafina ... can't control it.

DARK ZAFINA RISING

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »

okay i know it's been a week but i need y'all to look at these moves

uc3ufTB.png
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    T-Pain is an absolute treasure.

His game of thrones tweets alone were enough for me but this cosplay puts it over the edge.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Tekken patched just dropped, right as I was about to go to bed too.

Zafina will be released on the 10th according to Michael Murray.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    Alright, messed around with some stuff.

Feng seems stupid good. QCF1+2 leaves you close enough on block that b+4 connects and SS4 clean hits. He also gets 2 new mid launchers out of SS, better frames on his jab strings, and, oh yeah, his new move is basically the best combo filler he could ask for, giving him more damage and better wall carry.

Speaking of stupid, Bryan's new FC move is i13, does 37 damage, and knocks down. Seems good.

Leo's new move is a safe mid counter hit launcher out of KNK stance, but it's slow as fuck and will need a lot of setup to actually use.

Josie though, Josie is definitely gonna be the most unga character in the game now, if she wasn't already before. All her 3 and 2 enders on her strings (123, 23, 32, df32) now give mini combo on CH. Pushing buttons at the end of her strings becomes especially scary during rage, because rage drive picks up off of all of these on CH for easy 80+ damage combos. Her df1 also went from meh to kinda terrifying because of the buffs to the follow ups. Her mid knee ender (df14~4) is now safe, knocks down on normal hit, and launches on CH for a full combo. She of course still has the low kick, and the safe fast high followup, but now also gets the option to cancel into her crouch dash. Like, none of the moves are particularly amazing on their own, but the fact that you have to respect the mid and the low while also watching out for the CD cancel is pretty nuts.

Josie D2 also CH launches now, because why not, and it's an easy pickup for 70+ damage no matter if you cancel into crouch with d2d or not. It's still only -2 on block btw. All of her combos also got an extra 3-5 damage and more wall carry too, because her new move is an amazing combo ender that sends the opponent flipping through the air for a very high wall splat.

Basically I'm very interested in becoming a Josie player now.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    Oohhh...my biggest complaint for Leo was that after the b1 nerf she didn't have many good counter hit launching mids.

Wondering how slow it is. As long as it's faster than KNK 4 that should be enough to make them respect your 2 and 4 options.

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Aww lame, the update's not on PS4. Probably gotta wait all day.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Deans wrote: »
    Aww lame, the update's not on PS4. Probably gotta wait all day.

check again, it’s downloading now for me

Sweet!

ph blake wrote: »
    Alright, messed around with some stuff.

Feng seems stupid good. QCF1+2 leaves you close enough on block that b+4 connects and SS4 clean hits. He also gets 2 new mid launchers out of SS, better frames on his jab strings, and, oh yeah, his new move is basically the best combo filler he could ask for, giving him more damage and better wall carry.

Speaking of stupid, Bryan's new FC move is i13, does 37 damage, and knocks down. Seems good.

Leo's new move is a safe mid counter hit launcher out of KNK stance, but it's slow as fuck and will need a lot of setup to actually use.

Josie though, Josie is definitely gonna be the most unga character in the game now, if she wasn't already before. All her 3 and 2 enders on her strings (123, 23, 32, df32) now give mini combo on CH. Pushing buttons at the end of her strings becomes especially scary during rage, because rage drive picks up off of all of these on CH for easy 80+ damage combos. Her df1 also went from meh to kinda terrifying because of the buffs to the follow ups. Her mid knee ender (df14~4) is now safe, knocks down on normal hit, and launches on CH for a full combo. She of course still has the low kick, and the safe fast high followup, but now also gets the option to cancel into her crouch dash. Like, none of the moves are particularly amazing on their own, but the fact that you have to respect the mid and the low while also watching out for the CD cancel is pretty nuts.

Josie D2 also CH launches now, because why not, and it's an easy pickup for 70+ damage no matter if you cancel into crouch with d2d or not. It's still only -2 on block btw. All of her combos also got an extra 3-5 damage and more wall carry too, because her new move is an amazing combo ender that sends the opponent flipping through the air for a very high wall splat.

Basically I'm very interested in becoming a Josie player now.

I vaguely recall that in a prior patch, CH on the 3 of 123 did allow for a combo but it was incredibly awkward because juggling hits wouldn't pop the opponent upwards "normally". If that now results in much more consistent damage, that's a good improvement, and an especially good improvement for a "beginner" character.

One thing I was really curious about is this:
    2,4 – The move will now chain together.

What does this actually mean? Is it a true combo against a grounded opponent?

edited September 2019
    YO SHARKMAN YOSHIMITSU AND GOLD LIGHTAN JACK ARE NOW TOURNAMENT LEGAL COSTUMES BECAUSE OF THE PATCH

YOSHI IS NOW A++++ TIER

JACK IS ACTUALLY AMUSING NOW

one thing I really like about arcade tournaments for Tekken (which are basically Japan only, because the rest of the world goes with PS4s) is that the players are able to use their cards to bring their costumes into the tournament, and while sometimes you have to deal with "who the hell is that character???" it's overall a lot more entertaining

maybe what i'm really saying is that Tekken should have a Switch port and we can use the amiibos to take our costumes to any tournament...

l_g on
    I kind of want to pick up Lars as a secondary.

He seems better and tiers don't even matter at my rank anyway.

Shaheen's new low-high string is incredibly versatile. It improves his mix-ups, oki, counter-hits, and the damage of literally every juggle combo. Conversely, I can't figure out what Kazumi's new move is for. It does slightly more damage than her stance's other mid launcher but has less tracking and is -15. Maybe it gives her a better wall combo but I haven't found it yet.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    I kind of want to pick up Lars as a secondary.

He seems better and tiers don't even matter at my rank anyway.

Nah, I'm pretty bad at Tekken, you wouldn't want me as your tag partner.

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Armor King doesn't seem to have gotten anything truly mindblowing, but his improvements are really solid. On hit, f34b+2 is absolutely fucking brutal, "ow my foot" CH on d3 gives huuuuuge advantage, and shadow stance is...actually useful, providing a mid/low mixup. It also gives you a combo with CH ff3!

I am totally eating shit for just having dropped Claudio, though. His buffs seem pretty beastly.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i have no idea what the fuck im doing in 3d fighting games but im gonna dabble in S3 and see if i can screw my head on

THESPOOKY wrote: »
    I am totally eating shit for just having dropped Claudio, though. His buffs seem pretty beastly.

I'm still trying to figure out how of all the things he could've gotten buffs for, one of the things he got buffed was his hopkick. I'm really curious in a higher level setting what this buff is addressing, because at a lower level this move is comically strong.

l_g wrote: »
    THESPOOKY wrote: »

I'm still trying to figure out how of all the things he could've gotten buffs for, one of the things he got buffed was his hopkick. I'm really curious in a higher level setting what this buff is addressing, because at a lower level this move is comically strong.

It is genuinely mindblowing that they took a hard look at Claudio's uf4 and said "No. It doesn't reach far enough."

also he got, like...multiple new launchers???

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular

I wasn't a huge fan of her launch costumes, but Zombie Punk Poison gets a few bucks from me.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Man, what the fuck is a Zafina?

Holy shit this character is weird

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Oh, that kappa.

uyvfOQy.png

Sexy Voldo

Sexy Voldo

But you repeat yourself.

acpRlGW.jpg
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    voldo looks absolutely incredible for his age

liEt3nH.png
    God I'm so happy

I know I'm probably just going to lose the rank before catapulting back up, but I feel so goddamned powerful right now

5fwh5ypnnzri.png

edited September 2019
    Got some Tekken in...was beyond rusty and I forgot how people play online but it started to come back to me after a while.

If anyone wants to play some games feel free to add me(PSN Dragkonias) I'm scrub tier at Tekken but would love some games anyway.

Also up for SC6...and probably Granblue when it comes out.

Dragkonias on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFN6MsOg580

https://www.coreuptuniverse.com/

i'm not sure how far along this is, and I don't really recognize the people behind it

the website seems... very half-assed
    like the twitter link on the bottom goes to: http://www.twitter.com/wix

Brolo on
    Crazy theory about Josie as a "beginner" character:

Josie isn't meant to just be a "beginner" character in terms of being easy to use, with the new buffs she is intended to be a "beginner" character that can be used to teach particular habits or gameplay to other beginners. It's already the case that a thing Josie has is a HHH or HH string that puts her into SWS at gigantic frame advantage on block, such that opponents can learn two things: ducking is a good idea sometimes, and not pressing buttons right away after blocking is a good idea sometimes.

By giving her all these CH combo starters that are in the middle of strings where these CH combo starters are the mid option for strings, the thing Josie can teach her opponent is "don't senselessly mash when blocking, not even duck jab". It's still the case that the defender takes zero damage from the highs or mids if they just stand or block, and it's still the case that they don't get launched if they ducked and didn't press any buttons.

Alternatively nobody learns anything and it's just Josie mashing furiously vs. opponents mashing furiously and everybody is having a good time but Josie now has a reason to push the other buttons sometimes because she might get lucky and get a sweet CH.

edited September 2019

Josie isn't meant to just be a "beginner" character in terms of being easy to use, with the new buffs she is intended to be a "beginner" character that can be used to teach particular habits or gameplay to other beginners. It's already the case that a thing Josie has is a HHH or HH string that puts her into SWS at gigantic frame advantage on block, such that opponents can learn two things: ducking is a good idea sometimes, and not pressing buttons right away after blocking is a good idea sometimes.

By giving her all these CH combo starters that are in the middle of strings where these CH combo starters are the mid option for strings, the thing Josie can teach her opponent is "don't senselessly mash when blocking, not even duck jab". It's still the case that the defender takes zero damage from the highs or mids if they just stand or block, and it's still the case that they don't get launched if they ducked and didn't press any buttons.

Alternatively nobody learns anything and it's just Josie mashing furiously vs. opponents mashing furiously and everybody is having a good time but Josie now has a reason to push the other buttons sometimes because she might get lucky and get a sweet CH.

As a Josie main, I can confirm that something about SWS makes people lose their minds. Most matches, I can't even set the dial to Real Ass Tekken, because nobody will stop pressing buttons. I just run strings and wait for them to learn, but they never do

templewulf on
    I mean learning to defend key strings is probably one of the bigger Tekken beginner hurdles imo.

As a Josie main, I can confirm that something about SWS makes people lose their minds. Most matches, I can't even set the dial to Real Ass Tekken, because nobody will stop pressing buttons. I just run strings and wait for them to learn, but they never do

you could at least @ me

So apparently the Olympics is gonna be doing some with Street Fighter and some other games.

I remember a while ago them expressing an interest in doing something involving eSports.

This discussion has been closed.