As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Podcasts] Now listen to this

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Yeah like, this is something I've been around for most of my life. I've never been a Broadway/musical person myself, but I've spent a lot of time around them. Being into Broadway means piecing things together from bootlegs and scripts and cast recordings - that's a whole part of the fandom, I would argue.

If you want more accessible theatre, then go out and find what your local theatre scene is doing. Not all of it is going to be Hamilton, but some of it you might like better, and by supporting a local arts scene you allow that scene to thrive and grow.

Filming theatre doesn't make theatre more accessible, it makes people less likely to go to the theatre.

See I think that’s a false equivalency

I would argue that filming theatre does both!

I dunno, I don't have any actual data behind it, so maybe I'm off base.

But when I was doing shows, I would consistently have people ask me to film it for them. Relatives and stuff like that, you know, but still, the idea was always there that they cared about what I was doing but not enough to spend ten bucks watching it. So I have a pretty negative reaction to that sort of thing.

Plus filmed theatre almost universally looks bad, even the stuff that the Met does is not great, and I don't think that sort of stuff being available is going to help its image really.

You understand that this is absolutely not equivalent to wanting to see a Broadway show taped because you literally can't afford to, right

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I keep wanting to see a live Shakespeare production...

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the other half of the problem is that it makes Broadway even more canonical than it already is (I am firmly on the Broadway sucks and is lame side of things with theatre). I know people who went to New York and got Hamilton tickets there instead of seeing the Chicago production, because that was the "real" show. How much worse would that be if there was a filmed version of it?

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I don't really get filming theater being any different than like, filming the Super Bowl

People still want to go see the thing, because it's a vastly different experience than seeing it on your TV, or even in a movie theater or whatever

Yeah like I could pretty much watch every single football game that occurs on my TV, but there are still thousand and thousands of people who spend money to go see them live and in person

In a similar vein one of the few academic papers I actually remember from my British literature class was about how the scripts for Shakespeare’s plays don’t at all convey the tone of how those scenes were likely received being performed in theaters at the time. There was likely much more audience engagement that created a more comical or populist sentiment to certain scenes

So I get it, live performance is different and shit

But again

C’monnnnnn

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I think 'filmed live performances look bad' is currently a true statement, but ultimately a solvable problem.

I do think that selling such filmed performances in lieu of selling tickets is a valid concern for creators and performers, though. Not least of which because the manufacturing and distribution of said performances would introduce a lot more vectors that would prevent revenue from reaching the creators of said content. There's a very probably chance that it would end up like the music industry; in which pretty much everyone EXCEPT for the musicians would get paid.

Yeah, the other half of the problem is that it makes Broadway even more canonical than it already is (I am firmly on the Broadway sucks and is lame side of things with theatre). I know people who went to New York and got Hamilton tickets there instead of seeing the Chicago production, because that was the "real" show. How much worse would that be if there was a filmed version of it?

The closest version of Hamilton to me was in Charlotte, cost 200 dollars, and you still had to get in a lottery before you were even allowed to buy tickets

Tape the show

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Yeah like, this is something I've been around for most of my life. I've never been a Broadway/musical person myself, but I've spent a lot of time around them. Being into Broadway means piecing things together from bootlegs and scripts and cast recordings - that's a whole part of the fandom, I would argue.

If you want more accessible theatre, then go out and find what your local theatre scene is doing. Not all of it is going to be Hamilton, but some of it you might like better, and by supporting a local arts scene you allow that scene to thrive and grow.

Filming theatre doesn't make theatre more accessible, it makes people less likely to go to the theatre.

See I think that’s a false equivalency

I would argue that filming theatre does both!

I dunno, I don't have any actual data behind it, so maybe I'm off base.

But when I was doing shows, I would consistently have people ask me to film it for them. Relatives and stuff like that, you know, but still, the idea was always there that they cared about what I was doing but not enough to spend ten bucks watching it. So I have a pretty negative reaction to that sort of thing.

Plus filmed theatre almost universally looks bad, even the stuff that the Met does is not great, and I don't think that sort of stuff being available is going to help its image really.

You understand that this is absolutely not equivalent to wanting to see a Broadway show taped because you literally can't afford to, right

It's not, no. It's a reason that filming theatre rubs me personally the wrong way, and part of the reason I come out hard against it.

• kmzkmz Registered User regular
    My understanding is that they did tape a production right before most of the main original cast left. They're not gonna release it for a while though, I imagine.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Yeah I think the problem is either way we don't live in a perfect world yet that treats art as valuable for its own sake instead of simply as a product to be packaged and sold.

Honestly I think productions should be filmed and distributed, but I also think work could be done to make live theater more accessible to everyone than it already is.

Tallahasseeriel on
    kmz wrote: »
    My understanding is that they did tape a production right before most of the main original cast left. They're not gonna release it for a while though, I imagine.

Yeah, they did. I believe there were some rights issues that prevented it from being released for a certain amount of time, but I think it was only like, five years, so I imagine it would be coming out 2021.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I liked Hamilton fine, even if I've soured some as my politics changed. It's still a damn effective musical. I can sing along with most of it and I'll cry at at least two songs! But from the jump LMM has been in the same boat as Travis as people I find obnoxiously performative. Which is different from saying they shouldn't be that way, they can do whatever, but it makes my skin crawl the same way.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I don't find LMM as performative as Travis does, buuuut I can understand feeling that way

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    The thing is also that Hamilton will almost certainly end up being a terrible Hollywood movie in a few years and that’s gonna be the version most people end up seeing

I’d way rather just watch a recording of the stage show, even though it’s not meant for that medium

sig.gif
    A few stray additional thoughts, as this conversation kept my mind busy throughout the trip home:

I think part of it for me, a person often enmeshed in theatre, is that Hamilton is just another show I haven't seen. I've missed so many shows due to timing or money or popularity or location or what have you, having another on the list doesn't really bother me. It gets filed away with the production of Topdog/Underdog that my friend told me about over the weekend, the Lear that played at one of my favorite local companies the year before I moved here, The Donkey Show that I couldn't justify the cost of when I was living near Boston. It sucks I didn't see it, sure, but it's one of the thousand.

Would I like to see recorded versions of those shows? Yeah, I reckon I would. But I also reckon that if I had access to those recorded versions, I might not go out and take a chance on some other show I'd never heard of that night.

But I recognize that Hamilton isn't one in a thousand for everyone else. And in that regard, yeah, something is better than nothing, and a recorded version would be good. I still have a bunch of weird feelings about recorded shows and think that people should try and support local theatre if it's possible for them to do so, but in terms of availability and accessibility, Broadway at least could be doing a whole lot better.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    People talk about ghost dogs haunting moors and ghost cats prowling around old houses and other ghost animals but where are all the ghost dinosaurs?

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    All dinosaurs are in heaven, actually.

sig.gif
    PROVE IT.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah, please, go ahead

CYpGAPn.png
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    People talk about ghost dogs haunting moors and ghost cats prowling around old houses and other ghost animals but where are all the ghost dinosaurs?

The spirits of dinosaurs dissipated millions of years ago. All spirits loose energy over time and eventually fade away. This is also why we don't see ghosts of neanderthals.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Would I like to see recorded versions of those shows? Yeah, I reckon I would. But I also reckon that if I had access to those recorded versions, I might not go out and take a chance on some other show I'd never heard of that night.

Yeah this is probably the core difference

I'm not a theater person, I'm bot going to go see another show because I cant get to Hamilton, I'm just not going to go to the theater

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    dinosaur bones are a test from god so, i guess, technically, they only exist in heaven

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Do dinosaurs have souls

what the fuck happened in here

We played the jump to conclusions game

Veldrin wrote: »
    Do dinosaurs have souls

Yes

But not yoshis

Veldrin wrote: »
    Do dinosaurs have souls
    Hey what the hell, man

CYpGAPn.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

The spirits of dinosaurs dissipated millions of years ago. All spirits loose energy over time and eventually fade away. This is also why we don't see ghosts of neanderthals.

Could you imagine finding out there's a life after death, and but then realizing that new life is also limited.

I wonder if ghosts believe in ghost heaven.

what are boos the ghosts of

6vjsgrerts6r.png

All the bricks Mario destroyed that turned out to be transmogrified citizens.

Farts

Every time someone in the mushroom kingdom farts a boo is born, that is why they disappear when you look at them

Out of shame

CYpGAPn.png
    Do dinosaur angels have feathered wings?

I... THINK boos are not ghosts of anything

They are ghost like life forms

Which is also ghost pokemon's deal

i refuse to accept this

ghost pokemon are dead as fuck

6vjsgrerts6r.png

I... THINK boos are not ghosts of anything

They are ghost like life forms

Which is also ghost pokemon's deal

Wikipedia sez "It has been implied that Boos may have been other living species before they became Boos, but this has not been made clear."

Well that was not that helpful. Thanks, wikipedia.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Could you imagine finding out there's a life after death, and but then realizing that new life is also limited.

Well if you follow the secular belief system of spooks, specters, and ghosts then they are not really people but emotional energies of people so they can't reason.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    The average startup cost to produce a musical back in 2011 was between $10 and $16 million. Weekly operating costs tend to run in the mid six-figures. Only one in five Broadway shows breaks even, and it takes around two years for those to actually earn a profit. It's estimated that around 2/3rds of tickets are sold to tourists.

I'd love for Broadway to be more accessible, but it's not up to individual shows to make that happen. If Broadway, and most of what we think of as musical theatre, is going to remain a thing, then either we need more state funding of the arts or they need to keep people flying in and seeing shows, and promptly releasing filmed versions won't do that.

Narbus on

Well if you follow the secular belief system of spooks, specters, and ghosts then they are not really people but emotional energies of people so they can't reason.

Wait, are you talking about this in an amateur or professional capacity?

Both? There's not any real hard science behind this stuff.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

(I believe this was a joke about you having a ghostbuster avatar)

(I believe this was a joke about you having a ghostbuster avatar)

It kinda was but also a legit belief by real ghost hunters.

This discussion has been closed.