As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

College Football: Da Coach O is a Superspreader

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Directional Michigan is my favourite football squadron.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    WEEK 3: LONGHORN AND AGGIE FANS STILL ON TWITTER ARGUING ABOUT WHO'S LOSS WAS BETTER

Straight-Up
    #24 Southern California (-4) @ Brigham Young - If you're wondering why life is unfair, these dipshits run one of the shittiest athletic departments in the country, have a lame duck head coach, had their 1st string quarterback go down with a season-ending injury, and they're still falling ass-backwards into a winning season. God is not real, and if he was he still wouldn't be a BYU fan.

#9 Florida (-8) @ Kentucky - Dan Mullen did something last year that Ron Zook, Will Muschamp, Jim McElwain, and even interim coach DJ Durkin managed to avoid: he lost to Kentucky. Kentucky took 31 years of frustrations out on the Gators last year, and are looking to make it two wins in a row for the first time since 1976-1977. Florida is probably the better team, but the game is outside of the state of Florida, so weird stuff can definitely happen.

Texas Christian (-2.5) @ Purdue - Lol why is this game happening? Gary Patterson is going to find a way to sweat through 3 shirts despite being out of the state of Texas, while Jeff Brohm continues to question why he decided to stick around in Purdue instead of leaving for Louisville. I don't know how accurate anything I'm writing is because I'm too lazy to do that research. I blame Chip Kelly for this.

Texas Tech (-2.5) @ Arizona - On the one hand, Khalil Tate is amazing and could theoretically win this game by himself. Hell, he almost managed to beat Hawaii by himself despite the best efforts of his coaches. But that's also the problem: his coaches are bad. Honestly, Texas Tech may just be vestigial to this game, especially with a new head coach.

Against the Spread
    #6 Ohio State (-15.5) @ Indiana - Ohio State has been a juggernaut through two weeks, with Georgia transfer Justin Fields looking every bit like the talented QB everyone thought he was when he first arrived in college football. That said, this game is in Bloomington, and CHAOS TEAM has a history of making these kinds of games uncomfortably close for high-end teams. They don't win them that often, but this is against the spread, so that's not a big concern.

Pittsburgh @ #13 Penn State (-16.5) - Hey I haven't been paying attention is Pitt bad or Penn State good or a combination of the two? Because if it's a combination then hahahaha Pitt is going to win this game for no reason.

Stanford @ #17 Central Florida (-7.5) - The Champions of Florida finally return to the Pick'em, fresh with two new quarterbacks in freshman Dillon Gabriel and Notre Dame transfer Brandon Wimbush. It's actually created a bit of a QB CONTROVERSY over who should start. Or I assume it has. I have not paid enough attention to the Golden Knights so far this year to say. But I have watched Stanford! And the Cardinal are bad! And also might not have their quarterback still after he got a concussion against Northwestern. This is one of those games where UCF comes out on fire and reminds everyone that they're a good program now, while also catching a formerly-good program on a downturn.

Arizona State @ #18 Michigan State (-13.5) - Last year, the Sun Devils pulled the upset on Michigan State at home, prompting hundreds of sportswriters to proclaim that Herm Edwards was a great coach who was going to lead ASU to greatness. They ended up 7-5, exactly as good as they were the year prior. This year does not appear that it will go the same way, as the Sun Devils are on the road with a true freshman quarterback and missing their human cheat code at wide receiver. Meanwhile, the Spartans....seem ok? Definitely better than whatever was going on last year.

#5 Oklahoma (-22.5) @ UCLA - If you want a preview of this game, maybe listen to this podcast I had the pleasure of joining this past week where I talk about it with a bunch of Oklahoma people? Kirk Herbstreit is also on at some point, which is further proof that me and Herbstreit essentially provide the same level and quality of analysis. Anyway, this game will be bad and you should take Oklahoma because UCLA ain't stopping shit and can only pull a backdoor cover at this point, and with how inept the offense has looked so far I wouldn't count on it.

GAME OF THE CENTURY OF THE WEEK (STRAIGHT UP)
    #19 Iowa (-2.5) @ Iowa State - EL ASSICOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Folks, it's been so long since we've had a somewhat-relevant El Assico. Actually, I'm lying; El Assico is always relevant. And especially this year, when Week 3 is full of a bunch of dreck and misery that College Gameday had no choice but to finally recognize the greatness that is this rivalry. And we here at the Pick'ems couldn't be happier! Both teams come into the game undefeated, with Iowa putting on dominant performances against G5 teams Miami (OH) and Rutgers, while Iowa State made the mistake of scheduling actually-good FCS team Northern Iowa. Really, Iowa State may actually have the best victory here. Still, this should be a banger between two teams that definitely have aspirations for bigger things.

Go here to enter your choices: https://forms.gle/kBTJSXCoLrWPN4Qp8

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Pitt has exactly zero hope of winning this game, and if PSU has any chance at all to, they are going to put up more points on Pitt than on Idaho.

Narduzzi has consistently tried to sell lies to mutual recruits (this past summer was Franklin leaving for USC after this season), and they've done ridiculously petty shit like getting keychains with the score made for their coaching staff after the 2016 win.

They are recruiting at a level completely and utterly subpar to PSU (who is top 10 recruiting over the past 5 years), this is the final game of the series in the foreseeable future. Pitt only beat Ohio 20-10 last week, and PSU managed to cover 33 points against Buffalo despite trailing at half.

Take Penn State with the points.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I don't really follow college football that closely anymore, but I do appreciate the dig at Rutgers. I have no idea what they are doing in the Big Ten, and apparently nobody else does either.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Buffalo outgained them yards per play though, that score is misleading.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I don't really follow college football that closely anymore, but I do appreciate the dig at Rutgers. I have no idea what they are doing in the Big Ten, and apparently nobody else does either.

Rutgers and Maryland are in the Big Fourteen because of the New York and DC TV markets.

• Options

Rutgers and Maryland are in the Big Fourteen because of the New York and DC TV markets.

Rutgers isn't bringing in any noticeable fraction of New York viewers, let's be honest here. I remember that one year where Rutgers was sort of good, and they lit up the Empire State Building with their colors, and still nobody gave a damn.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019

That hasn't really mattered to this PSU offense since 2016. We either score with explosive drives or we don't.

Edit: For reference this year, our longest TD drive this year had been 7 plays. But we also go 3 and out a lot if we don't get a chunk play.

Mvrck on
  • Options

Rutgers isn't bringing in any noticeable fraction of New York viewers, let's be honest here. I remember that one year where Rutgers was sort of good, and they lit up the Empire State Building with their colors, and still nobody gave a damn.

They don't give a shit about Rutgers. They want the market for their fucking conference network. There are no other New York adjacent D-1 schools

• Options

They don't give a shit about Rutgers. They want the market for their fucking conference network. There are no other New York adjacent D-1 schools

But I don't see how Rutgers brings in the New York market, since nobody in New York gives a crap about Rutgers in particular, or really college football in general. I mean sure it's basically the closest D-1 school to NYC, but that doesn't mean anybody in NYC cares. So I don't really see the point.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    It works. There are lots of Michigan and OSU and... alums and fans across the country, including a lot in New York.

It wasn’t a play about caring about Rutgers. Rutgers was just the only D1 school with football in the area that also qualified to be in the B1G.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    When people say “Rutgers and Maryland get them into the New York and DC markets” I’m pretty sure they mean it’s a negotiation point with the cable and satellite TV companies.

Or maybe they don’t mean that but that’s what it is.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

That hasn't really mattered to this PSU offense since 2016. We either score with explosive drives or we don't.

Edit: For reference this year, our longest TD drive this year had been 7 plays. But we also go 3 and out a lot if we don't get a chunk play.

Also a follow up - no they absolutely didn't outgain us in yards per play. This is definitely 2016 offense all over again. We're gonna score fast, and standard offensive keys like TOP or yardage or 3rd down conversion rate just don't mean a whole lot to this team.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    It's no longer the Golden Knights of UCF, it's just the Knights.

sig.gif
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    In follow-up, the USPTO has ruled on OSU's ridiculous trademark request on the word "the".

Unsurprisingly, it was denied.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    In follow-up, the USPTO has ruled on OSU's ridiculous trademark request on the word "the".

Unsurprisingly, it was denied.

What's the over/under on them attempting to trademark definite articles from other languages?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Cross-posting from the NFL thread.
    So apparently there is another tug-of-war between carriers and plagues. Disney owned channels, which include ESPN and ABC, may be pulled from AT&T/DirecTV lineups as soon as Friday.

• Options
    Carriers and plagues is a nice way of phrasing it.

• Options
    When it was just the PAC12 network that couldn’t get a deal done with DirecTv I was like, “ok that sucks but it makes sense because the PAC12 is run by a bunch of nincompoops.”

Then it was the local Fox affiliate for almost a year so now I can’t get NFC games. A week or so back the NBC affiliate got pulled as well.

I’m beginning to think the problem may actually be DirecTv.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Its all of them. The market is fragmenting as everyone attempts to exert their own monopoly power on everyone else.

The joys of vertical integration of end product and medium!*

*or middleman

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    For prosperity:

Straight-Up
    Southern California @ Brigham Young
    Florida @ Kentucky
    Texas Christian @ Purdue
    Texas Tech @ Arizona

Against the Spread
    Ohio State (-15.5) @ Indiana
    Pittsburgh @ Pennsylvania State (-16.5)
    Stanford @ Central Florida (-7.5)
    Arizona State @ Michigan State (-13.5)
    Oklahoma (-22.5) @ California-Los Angeles

Game of the Week
    Iowa @ Iowa State

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    Today in Fuck Alabama: The school rolls out an app designed to track attendance at football games, giving users rewards for staying through the game.

...what the fuck?

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Tomorrow in fuck Alabama, they're going to destroy our baby freshman QB ;;

• Options
    Lets go Cougs!

Beat Houston!

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Lets go Cougs!

Beat Houston!

What.

• Options
    There’s college football on!

WSU Cougars vs the Houston team

• Options
    Which is somehow 0-0 at the end of the first. There have been so many penalties...

• Options
    There’s college football on!

WSU Cougars vs the Houston Cougars

• Options
    No

• Options
    Ok this is not ideal

Also that was PI before the interception

• Options
    Uh...as a WSU fan our player definitely should have been ejected for targeting there

• Options
    Cougs pull off the win! 3-0 baby!

• Options
    Cougs pull off the win! 3-0 baby!

Cougin' It!

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Oh man The Fighting Les Mileses beat BC!

And someone finally took down the juggernaut that is the Mack Brownses

• Options
    Deadspin has more info on Saban Credit:
    In the hopes of appeasing arguably the most powerful man in the state, the school worked towards what they believed would be a mutually beneficial solution for both Saban and students at Alabama—all for the low, low cost of those students’ privacy.

During the team’s home opener against New Mexico State*, the university rolled out the Tide Loyalty Points app. How it works is that it uses location-tracking technology on the phones of students to see who ends up going to games, and how long they stay for. Those who have the app then check in to games to get an initial batch of points, and receive more the longer they end up staying. Those who accumulate the most points well have a better chance at securing SEC championship, and College Football Playoff tickets.

The response from the school was a bunch of gooseshit:
    Countering these claims was Alabama athletic director Greg Byrne, who told the Times that privacy concerns just never came up during talks with student groups and university departments—as if either would have the gall to stand up to the guy who’s Saban’s boss. Byrne also decided to defend the app with the argument that the tracking was fine because phones are already constantly being tracked.
    “If anybody has a phone, unless you’re in airplane mode or have it off, the cellular companies know where you are,” he said.

And, of course, fuck Saban:
    But none of these issues seem to matter to Saban, who addressed the student section on Saturday as if they were a group of his players that needed to pick up the damn slack around here.
    “Everybody wants to be the beast, but they don’t want to do what the beast do,” Saban said afterward. “So everybody’s got to make a sacrifice. I mean, you want to be the lion?”

[...]

“Everybody’s got to do something,” he continued. “Everybody wants to be No. 1. If I asked that whole student section, ‘All right, you want to be No. 1?’ Nobody would put their hand up and say, ‘I want to be No. 4.’ They’d all say we want to be No. 1. But are they willing to do everything to be No. 1? That’s another question. Ask them that. I don’t know the answer.”

Unsurprisingly, he wasn’t quite as willing to go as long when privacy concerns were brought up in his postgame presser, instead giving the Belichick-like response of “That’s not my cup of tea. I’m trying to figure out how to stop Snag Seven Flat.”

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Yeah privacy concerns aren't looking good

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Students aren't even entitled to the fruits of their life-shortening labor, so of course privacy is out the window.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    In the hopes of appeasing arguably the most powerful man in the state, the school worked towards what they believed would be a mutually beneficial solution for both Saban and students at Alabama—all for the low, low cost of those students’ privacy.

During the team’s home opener against New Mexico State*, the university rolled out the Tide Loyalty Points app. How it works is that it uses location-tracking technology on the phones of students to see who ends up going to games, and how long they stay for. Those who have the app then check in to games to get an initial batch of points, and receive more the longer they end up staying. Those who accumulate the most points well have a better chance at securing SEC championship, and College Football Playoff tickets.

Countering these claims was Alabama athletic director Greg Byrne, who told the Times that privacy concerns just never came up during talks with student groups and university departments—as if either would have the gall to stand up to the guy who’s Saban’s boss. Byrne also decided to defend the app with the argument that the tracking was fine because phones are already constantly being tracked.
    “If anybody has a phone, unless you’re in airplane mode or have it off, the cellular companies know where you are,” he said.

But none of these issues seem to matter to Saban, who addressed the student section on Saturday as if they were a group of his players that needed to pick up the damn slack around here.
    “Everybody wants to be the beast, but they don’t want to do what the beast do,” Saban said afterward. “So everybody’s got to make a sacrifice. I mean, you want to be the lion?”

[...]

“Everybody’s got to do something,” he continued. “Everybody wants to be No. 1. If I asked that whole student section, ‘All right, you want to be No. 1?’ Nobody would put their hand up and say, ‘I want to be No. 4.’ They’d all say we want to be No. 1. But are they willing to do everything to be No. 1? That’s another question. Ask them that. I don’t know the answer.”

Unsurprisingly, he wasn’t quite as willing to go as long when privacy concerns were brought up in his postgame presser, instead giving the Belichick-like response of “That’s not my cup of tea. I’m trying to figure out how to stop Snag Seven Flat.”

If this app is required to use student tickets I'm not seeing that mentioned anywhere. Choosing to sign up for a rewards program, knowing full-well that it tracks you, isn't a privacy issue. They're voluntarily sharing that info.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Monwyn wrote: »

[...]

If this app is required to use student tickets I'm not seeing that mentioned anywhere. Choosing to sign up for a rewards program, knowing full-well that it tracks you, isn't a privacy issue. They're voluntarily sharing that info.

Huh? Just because consent might be involved doesn't make the privacy issues go away.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Tomorrow in fuck Alabama, they're going to destroy our baby freshman QB ;;

We actually did pretty well! Genuine shock.

This discussion has been closed.