As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Truly this has been the final fantasy

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    heh, $30 per episode, good one

I was being optimistic!

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I loved the combat in 13 and the combat in 15 was fine if simplistic

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    13s combat is so good once you have 3 characters.

They just waited too long for that, though doing so worked well narratively.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    it's good once you have 3 characters and all the roles unlocked

then the game ends like ninety minutes later

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Yeah, I would say the combat systems were among the higher points of both games.

In fact, it's one of the only things I remember fondly about FF13-1.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I remember 13-1 very well, and I'm not gonna ever finish it because it's been dropped for good

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Yeah, I would say the combat systems were among the higher points of both games.

In fact, it's one of the only things I remember fondly about FF13-1.

that and sazh being a good dad and fang being a boss bitch

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    13 is weird because I can think of a lot of strongly positive things to say about it and it's still one of the worst games I've ever beaten

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Niiiice. That's the date for all platforms btw.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Niiiice. That's the date for all platforms btw.

3 days too early for that.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Squats confirmed! Turks! Game looks great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBpq_Jq7yn0

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    The nostalgia is too strong. I think I'm going to have to get this. If it comes out on PC I guess, I can't buy a PS4 just for this.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    I posted about this in the pax thread, but the demo was amazing and feels fantastic to play. It’s such a perfect midpoint between old ATB and modern 3rd person action. Everything feels intuitive and the only time I really fumbled with the controls was when I accidentally brought up the menu while trying to climb a ladder...something I got used to within like 2 minutes. And obviously the game looks amazing and the entire battle with the big scorpion robot I had the biggest, dumbest grin on my face.

rhylith on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    seeing a full squat mini game made me burst out laughing in public

they’re really doing it, the madmen

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

And Frog Cloud with his little Buster Sword

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Chall wrote: »
    YaYa wrote: »

And Frog Cloud with his little Buster Sword

I saw a screenshot of that in twitter and thought that was a new CT game for a moment.

Rarely have I felt such disappointment.

Trailer was cool at least though!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Is the Final Fantasy 7 remake Frog Fractions 3?!?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Looks like Rufus' daddy lost weight.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Having Prez show up as a giant Emperor Palpatine-style hologram makes so much sense

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I posted about this in the pax thread, but the demo was amazing and feels fantastic to play. It’s such a perfect midpoint between old ATB and modern 3rd person action. Everything feels intuitive and the only time I really fumbled with the controls was when I accidentally brought up the menu while trying to climb a ladder...something I got used to within like 2 minutes. And obviously the game looks amazing and the entire battle with the big scorpion robot I had the biggest, dumbest grin on my face.

What does it control like? Is it more like Kingdom Hearts, with a button press for an individual swing of the sword, or like FF15 where you're just holding down the attack button whenever you're in enemy range? And how does timing work for non-attack actions like spellcasting and items? And what about switching control between characters?

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

What does it control like? Is it more like Kingdom Hearts, with a button press for an individual swing of the sword, or like FF15 where you're just holding down the attack button whenever you're in enemy range? And how does timing work for non-attack actions like spellcasting and items? And what about switching control between characters?

They showed a demo of the gameplay at their E3 presentation. It's primarily real time, but you can use the ATB system to pause to use skills. From what we saw, it looks fluid.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited September 2019

You switch characters in combat by pushing up or down on the d pad. You can do this essentially any time you’re not locked into a long animation, and it is basically seamless. There were times when you were forced to switch to Barret to reach enemy turrets mounted on walls (unless cloud had enough ATB for a spell). Cloud’s attacks felt like they required mashing square, Barret’s you would hold square for a lot of rapid low damage shots followed by a bigger blast for more damage at the end.

When not in combat you’re cloud, but who knows if they’ll change that?

During combat you slowly gain ATB normally, but every time you hit with a square button attack you gain ATB faster. You have 2 ATB charges per character. You can use one or two charges to use a special attack, cast a spell, or use an item. When you hit the x button it brings up a menu and time slows to a crawl, giving you plenty of time to make your choices. You can also hit one of the shoulder buttons from the menu to assign an action to one of the other party members without switching perspective, which I found useful more than once.

You also gain limit by taking damage and can unleash a limit break when it’s full.

rhylith on
  • Options
    The achilles heel of all square action RPGs imo

How is the camera?

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    The achilles heel of all square action RPGs imo

How is the camera?

Felt fine. There was one spot where an enemy was attacking me from just off screen that I didn’t notice but that could just be because I’m bad at video games. I think I remember that it still has the little Target arrow like in the original game had when you’d push select that would indicate where things are.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Most importantly everything felt way better than ff15 and kingdom hearts.

rhylith on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    what is this feeling

hope?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    what is this feeling

hope?

This is the most hyped I’ve been for a game in a very long time. Even moreso after getting my hands on it.

It’s going to be good.

• Options
    Sweet, it sounds like they're really nailing the gameplay at least.

Still waiting to see how they fill an entire FF games worth of content in just midgar, though. Saw a few mini-games, but no new areas that weren't in the first game at all, which I imagine has to be a must.

• Options
    Also I am completely on board with all the hand-to-hand fighters being pro-wrestlers

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I'm very pleased with the Turks showing up and doing more.

Especially Reno.

Rawr.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Moving forward one integer

My gripes with the systems aside, I forgot how strong the first few hours of FF8 is. The lore with SeeD and the Gardens and sending you on a big-deal assassination mission out of the gate is a very effective grab

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    My sanity-protecting rule for my FF8 playthrough is that I'll break the game as thoroughly as possible... without triple triad. Using the card command in battle is still fine though, and I can get some pretty impressive stuff early on just from that. So I'm still running around with characters who are fucking up everything they run into, but I stopped short of playing cards for 70 hours and getting Squall to a point where he could solo every non-optional fight in the game before doing the Ifrit trial.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I can't believe this is actually coming out and I even more can't believe that it looks really good

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular

My gripes with the systems aside, I forgot how strong the first few hours of FF8 is. The lore with SeeD and the Gardens and sending you on a big-deal assassination mission out of the gate is a very effective grab

7 and 8 both had really strong starts. 9 I don't remember being as impactful, 10 was trying for it but it was too confusing to be really effective, 12's start is laaame, I can barely remember 13, and while 15 started slow, it was a nice slow buddy comedy start.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »

7 and 8 both had really strong starts. 9 I don't remember being as impactful, 10 was trying for it but it was too confusing to be really effective, 12's start is laaame, I can barely remember 13, and while 15 started slow, it was a nice slow buddy comedy start.

13 started right in the action mostly. 9 was good, but definitely more slow-burn (bit of a build-up to the actual princess "kidnapping," which was exciting, and then it really slows down for a while).

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »

13 started right in the action mostly. 9 was good, but definitely more slow-burn (bit of a build-up to the actual princess "kidnapping," which was exciting, and then it really slows down for a while).

I found the opening to 13 to be kinda evocative of 7. Get off the (wrecked) train, join the terrorists, and start whacking soldiers with a sword.

12 had a reasonably rad cold open, but all anyone remembers is the bait and switch to Vaan twenty minutes in.

Another honorable mention should go to whatever that intro in XIII-2 was. I barely had any idea what was going on, but I was pumped to see more where that came from.

• Options
    I thought the opening of 13 was deliberately calling back to 7 in some ways, shame about the rest of it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed 13 all the way through, so...

The opening did have a massive FF7 vibe though.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    yeah I just don't like 13 and am being passive-aggressive about it :P

BahamutZERO.gif