As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Streaming Services: TV Via A Series Of Tubes

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    My struggle right now is that there doesn't seem to be any service at all that's just a pile of entertaining movies. Every single service is a handful of good movies, a bunch of bad ones, and then some originals that exist to try and draw in new viewers; then you have to struggle to find anything worthwhile buried in the pile. Case in point, look at this crap with the Lord of the Rings movies. For whatever damn reason, there's some kind of insane rule preventing all three from being released on the same service at the same time; they keep getting split up and tossed around, making it sort of pointless to have any of them on any service. If you want to watch a bunch of 80s or 90s stuff? Tough shit, because it's all scattered around.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I just dropped Hulu Live because I realized I pretty much never watch live TV. I'm sure I can find a better use for that $40 or whatever.

I now get Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime for a total of like $40 per month, and I have access to pretty much any show I give a shit about.

Overall, this isn't a bad deal. It's cheaper than cable ever was. Still not likely to shell for any additional services, though.

I'll probably end up paying for Disney's bullshit

I hate that I will end up paying for Disney's bullshit

But I'll probably pay anyways

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    That_Guy wrote: »
    First Man is on HBO right now and I rec it not for the story but for the direction. The cinematography, effects, and direction showing the transitions around low earth orbit are tense, terrifying, and just goddamn beautiful. I haven't seen anything that portrays the challenge of space flight like this at all. It's amazing.

The rest is pretty mediocre - lots of amazing actors reading historical lines or sitting around in shirtsleeves looking concerned - but the direction - oh man, there's a reason this guy still has heat. I don't care if you hated his previous stuff or don't care about space movies or have some kind of grudge with the whole murica flag controversy - if you like film, watch this.

Full disclaimer: I am a NASA fanboy and have been studying the Space Race since I was a small child. In fact, the first thing I wrote myself was a brief summary of the 1969 landing, copied from my favorite book (naturally about space). That's all to say I may be slightly bias and less than objective with my opinions on this movie.

First Man was one of my favorite movies of last year. The direction was intentional and great. You gotta realize that Neil Armstrong was the motherfucking Iceman. He kept his cool in every situation at all times. If anything, they injected a little too much character into him. There's a reason Buzz Aldrin became the media darling and Neil just kind of faded away into a quiet life. He hardly ever gave interviews, never had much to say and was hardly interesting outside of the providence of his accomplishments. Another thing to realize is just how jankey NASA was in the early days. Many of the rockets they were flying were being held together by shoestring and bubblegum. They couldn't let the general public know just how close to utter failure the entire organization was so you ended up with a bunch of guys sitting around just looking concerned. NASA lent the production crew a bunch of historians and technical consultants to make sure almost every detail was perfect. They did an amazing job with the hard lighting and very nearly every shadow was consistent with the sun vs studio lights. I watched in in the theater and again on my home theater and it was an incredible experience. I can't get over the sound design. NASA scientists worked with the sound engineers to recreate the actual sounds you would hear from inside the cockpit. My favorite was the sound the Saturn 5 made as it took off. It seriously gave me goosebumps hearing it for the first time.

I also think this movie should finally put a nail in the "moon landing was faked on a soundstage" coffin. Even with millions of dollars and the most cutting edge special effects you could still tell it wasn't real, even if almost every detail was perfect. A few of the shadows weren't quite perfectly parallel and the lunar dust was clearly just wet sand instead of an ultrafine magnetically charged powder. And they did flub the "one small step for [a] man" line but these are such minor quibbles I almost feel like I shouldn't even bring it up.

I feel like I could spend the rest of my life jazzing about how much I love First Man. I feel like it was a movie made specifically for me to cater to my exact tastes. It definitely earned a spot in my regular rewatch rotation along side the good Star Wars and Trek movies.

One of the best decisions of First Man is to show pretty much all the flying stuff from inside the cockpits. It's all tight and claustrophobic and loud and ramshackle. They're not soaring majestically into space. They're crammed into a barely controllable hunk of metall pushed by sheer force. I think you don't get a real wideshot from the outside until right at the end of the movie.

honovere on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    My struggle right now is that there doesn't seem to be any service at all that's just a pile of entertaining movies. Every single service is a handful of good movies, a bunch of bad ones, and then some originals that exist to try and draw in new viewers; then you have to struggle to find anything worthwhile buried in the pile. Case in point, look at this crap with the Lord of the Rings movies. For whatever damn reason, there's some kind of insane rule preventing all three from being released on the same service at the same time; they keep getting split up and tossed around, making it sort of pointless to have any of them on any service. If you want to watch a bunch of 80s or 90s stuff? Tough shit, because it's all scattered around.
    There's the Criterion collection.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Finished up Carole & Tuesday; now extremely sad that there's no more (on Netflix).

My mind was blown by so much of the animation and the show's willingness to relinquish so much precious time to musical montage; amusing to see comments from when the show aired in Japan making jokes about Pyotr's dancing using up all the show's budget. You can really tell the team had a lot of fun recreating that very specific style of early-oughts boy-band bullshit:

Episode 8:

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Finished Dark Crystal. Simply put: I want more.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Spoiler for end of dark crystal
    How did heretic/wanderer die?

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    They didn't. They are together, presumably they merge when the events of the movie happen.

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    they didn't (?)

the only deaths were hunter/archer, general/? and collector/?

madparrot on
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    They didn't. They are together, presumably they merge when the events of the movie happen.

dark crystal resistance
    They are unlikely to make it that far, because unless the film's narrator is mistaken, there are only ten pairs remaining when the movie starts, and they are all accounted for on screen.

madparrot on
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »

dark crystal resistance
    They are unlikely to make it that far, because unless the film's narrator is mistaken, there are only ten pairs remaining when the movie starts, and they are all accounted for on screen.

I guess that comes down to interpretation.
    "For a thousand years they have ruled. Yet now there are only ten." The Heretic no longer rules, he's a traitor and he's been cast out. Or they could be dead, I can't really tell how much time is meant to pass between this and the movie, but without sucking down gelfingaid, it's unlikely that the Heretic would last as long as the rest. Either way, their fate is not confirmed.

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Tried to convince my wife to watch Dark Crystal. She wanted Ash v. Evil Dead season 3 instead.

I mean, I like Ash well enough, though there's a part of me that can't shake that it's a more than just a bit misogynistic... I mean, yeah, of course, Ash himself is a misogynist and that's played for laughs, but I'm not sure the show does enough to admonish him for it, nor does it appear that he's shown any real growth in that regard as a character. Also it seems to me that most of the grossest kills seem to happen to women rather than men. Am I imagining this?

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    That wasn't a pile of their clothes and ashe at ~43:26 in the last episode?

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Tried to convince my wife to watch Dark Crystal. She wanted Ash v. Evil Dead season 3 instead.

I mean, I like Ash well enough, though there's a part of me that can't shake that it's a more than just a bit misogynistic... I mean, yeah, of course, Ash himself is a misogynist and that's played for laughs, but I'm not sure the show does enough to admonish him for it, nor does it appear that he's shown any real growth in that regard as a character. Also it seems to me that most of the grossest kills seem to happen to women rather than men. Am I imagining this?

He has lost everyone he ever loved and spent the bulk of his life in a trailer park ostracized and alone whenever he isn't being attacked and or possessed by the literal embodiment of evil. The guy is admonished every second of his life.

• Options

He has lost everyone he ever loved and spent the bulk of his life in a trailer park ostracized and alone whenever he isn't being attacked and or possessed by the literal embodiment of evil. The guy is admonished every second of his life.

I don't disagree with that necessarily, this was obviously true of Evil Dead 1 and 2, but starting with 2, and enshrined in Army of Darkness, he appears to have coped with/internalized this by becoming the embodiment of what today we call "toxic masculinity". I don't say I necessarily blame Ash for becoming the man he did, I mean, he has to cope somehow. The issue that nags at me is that the show itself seems to revel in this persona he wraps himself in, more than ever before, and continues to provide him with an environment that, for all its horror, caters to and upholds this worldview he's built for himself.

I mean, life is cheap in Ash v. Evil Dead, obviously, but, with the exception of Kelly (as of episode 2 of season 3, bear in mind, I'm not done), most women appear to be treated as disposable, especially if they happen to be one of Ash's many past exploits. I mean, so far, even Ruby's role appears to be to:
    make babies, until she attempts to reform herself, at which point she becomes disposable, just like the other women, and replaced with a previous version of herself who goes on to... make another baby.

Just my take. I'll still see it through because the goofy humor and Bruce Campbell's charisma is enough to keep me watching, but I feel kinda icky about it.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Fair points but I do disagree. I think every one is treated equally as disposable outside of the core cast and even they aren't immune. If anything the women tend to end up the strongest like Kelly. I don't even necessarily think Ash is a misogynist because that infers a disdain or general superiority to women and Ash is patronising to anyone who doesn't believe in the Deadites, and he likes basic, primal entertainment like sex so his relationships there tend to be transactional. I've never seen him nail someone then throw some cash on the floor and tell them to evaluate their lives. He doesn't think he's better than anyone, particularly because of his gender, except when it comes to battling Deadites, and that's because he's the only one to actually survive them on a continuous basis.

I think maybe we are applying the misogyny term a bit liberally there, Ash is just a stereotypically macho dude (later on anyway I don't think he's like that in the early movies) who likes beer, sports and sex in no particular order, but he doesn't treat women as inherently more disposable than men.

• Options
    Fair points but I do disagree. I think every one is treated equally as disposable outside of the core cast and even they aren't immune. If anything the women tend to end up the strongest like Kelly. I don't even necessarily think Ash is a misogynist because that infers a disdain or general superiority to women and Ash is patronising to anyone who doesn't believe in the Deadites, and he likes basic, primal entertainment like sex so his relationships there tend to be transactional. I've never seen him nail someone then throw some cash on the floor and tell them to evaluate their lives. He doesn't think he's better than anyone, particularly because of his gender, except when it comes to battling Deadites, and that's because he's the only one to actually survive them on a continuous basis.

I think maybe we are applying the misogyny term a bit liberally there, Ash is just a stereotypically macho dude (later on anyway I don't think he's like that in the early movies) who likes beer, sports and sex in no particular order, but he doesn't treat women as inherently more disposable than men.

What about when he continually forgets their names, if he even remembers them at all? Or calls a school-age girl "jailbait"? Or comments on how it's "such a waste/shame" when an attractive woman is brutally destroyed? And I'm pretty sure those all happened in the last 2 episodes I watched.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I'm a huge huge fan of Ash in all his properties. I have at least one t shirt, posters, and multiple copies of each.

But yeah he's problematic at best.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    None of the movies or the show make any pretense of Ash being an intelligent or good human being

He’s just the idiot that’s always there when shit hits the fan

• Options
    None of the movies or the show make any pretense of Ash being an intelligent or good human being

Don't they though? I mean, he's still the protagonist.

Yeah, he's suffered a bunch, but he, himself, still comes out on top in the end, while all who surround him, often uninvolved innocents, drop like flies. Those who (rightly, if this were the real world) consider him a creep usually end up dead in horrific ways. The only ones who don't hate him are Pablo and Kelly, with Pablo essentially hero-worshipping him in a naive way, and Kelly basically taking an attitude of "yeah, he's a gross creep, but he's my gross creep so I can just roll my eyes at his grossness". It seems that basically, the key to surviving in this universe is to never doubt Ash or fail to kiss his butt, even when (especially if!) he's acting like an ass.

I think it's fair to say that these characters serve as audience surrogates in many cases, and, as audience surrogates, it would suggest that this is how we, the audience, should view Ash. Yeah, he's an asshole and treats people, especially women, like shit, but he kicks ass, so that makes it ok! What inherent "good" qualities does Ash possess that allow him to survive the ridiculous craziness he's been through, exactly? Thus far he seems more of a Mr. Magoo character who has been surviving on nothing more than dumb luck and superhuman resilience. It's funny and entertaining to watch, to be sure, and perhaps even intentionally subversive, but when an otherwise innocent woman has her body completely destroyed in a horrifically over-the-top way moments after daring to call Ash a douchebag for having done something objectively douchey, I can't help but squint a bit at what I'm supposed to take away from all of it.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

Don't they though? I mean, he's still the protagonist.

Yeah, he's suffered a bunch, but he, himself, still comes out on top in the end, while all who surround him, often uninvolved innocents, drop like flies. Those who (rightly, if this were the real world) consider him a creep usually end up dead in horrific ways. The only ones who don't hate him are Pablo and Kelly, with Pablo essentially hero-worshipping him in a naive way, and Kelly basically taking an attitude of "yeah, he's a gross creep, but he's my gross creep so I can just roll my eyes at his grossness". It seems that basically, the key to surviving in this universe is to never doubt Ash or fail to kiss his butt, even when (especially if!) he's acting like an ass.

I think it's fair to say that these characters serve as audience surrogates in many cases, and, as audience surrogates, it would suggest that this is how we, the audience, should view Ash. Yeah, he's an asshole and treats people, especially women, like shit, but he kicks ass, so that makes it ok! What inherent "good" qualities does Ash possess that allow him to survive the ridiculous craziness he's been through, exactly? Thus far he seems more of a Mr. Magoo character who has been surviving on nothing more than dumb luck and superhuman resilience. It's funny and entertaining to watch, to be sure, and perhaps even intentionally subversive, but when an otherwise innocent woman has her body completely destroyed in a horrifically over-the-top way moments after daring to call Ash a douchebag for having done something objectively douchey, I can't help but squint a bit at what I'm supposed to take away from all of it.

I had the same misgivings with Stan Versus Evil. What I realized is that with #metoo, the incel murders, and Trump, my mind has firmly slotted misogyny into the “hate speech” box.

Makes it a lot harder to enjoy plots where the woman hating but otherwise noble man triumphs and forms bonds with women while still spitting slurs against them.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Are you sure?
    At the end, Hup is shown wandering around their home, and he comes across what looks like their clothing with ash in it.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Apple TV+ will be five bucks a month, and that link also shows their lineup of shows which also includes a Ghostwriter reboot which is, huh, that's classy.

It looks like it's only 9 shows at launch, but five more are in the pipeline. And if you buy any Apple device you'll get a free year of the service. But it doesn't seem like they're going to have any other shows beyond original stuff, at least at first.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Apple TV+ will be five bucks a month, and that link also shows their lineup of shows which also includes a Ghostwriter reboot which is, huh, that's classy.

It looks like it's only 9 shows at launch, but five more are in the pipeline. And if you buy any Apple device you'll get a free year of the service. But it doesn't seem like they're going to have any other shows beyond original stuff, at least at first.

Is this an app you can download, or purely on Apple TV streaming devices ?

Apple TV seems good for deals on 4K movies, often at £5 to buy, but obviously you need the device to watch them.

However, if it launches as an app that you can also view films in, if bought on the apple store, I can definitely see myself building up my library of digital movies, which I think at the moment consists of stuff my niece has bought on my Amazon Prime account. By 'accident'

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Apparently there's a Discworld Watch series coming, co-starring a gender fluid actor as a gender-transgressive dwarf

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Bill Burr's new Netflix special Paper Tiger is really good, better than his last one, which felt more like his podcast only live in person. His bit about Elvis and watching a show about him with his wife was good, as was having to give up his dog at the end.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    I finished the first season of The Expanse.
    So what I particularly enjoy about it is that the creative team is very aware of the medium differences between tv and text. I think more than any other adaptation I've seen, they get this really right. I actually really enjoyed the structure and focus of the first two books, and I liked how they shift perspective and the focus starts small and broadens as the characters' knowledge and stories broaden. However, none of that would work as well in a show, and I really appreciate how they changed both the structure and focus to make the story work really well in a different medium. I think a lot of adaptations are more worried about faithfulness than recognizing medium differences, which hampers them. And on the plus side, where it really counts--characterization and tone--it's also really faithful. I'm quite enjoying it. I think they did a great job of vizualizing the world of the books.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    The Expanse did a good job, but being faithful to the source material is almost never a consideration so that's not the issue with stuff. It would in fact be part of the problem usually. See: Game of Thrones for the most obvious recent example.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    If anything the show gives better characterization than the books did. Like Show Amos is much more fun

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    AppleTV+ will be on iOS and Mac devices, a bunch of smart TVs, Roku, Amazon Fire - and I would assume a web browser version for windows folks. An android app seems inevitable as well considering Apple Music.

I am definitely getting it because I am getting a new phone, so free for a year is a compelling price. Also, they are spending an insane amount of money on the limited amount of content they are making, so this might be a service where only a handful of shows a year land for me, but maybe thats fine if my entire out of pocket cost is 60 bucks for the year

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    The Expanse did a good job, but being faithful to the source material is almost never a consideration so that's not the issue with stuff. It would in fact be part of the problem usually. See: Game of Thrones for the most obvious recent example.

The part of Game of Thrones that went off the rails wasn't the part that was an adaptation.
    I think a lot of adaptation problems come from "Here is the plot of this book. Now we make the movie structured just like the plot of this book" only that doesn't work, so you end up with "added sexy storyline" or "surprise character twist." I'm sure I"m not explaining my thought process well, but it seems like a great many adaptations are made that don't understand what the requirements of shifting genres are, so they hold on to the wrong things from the books (because the readers might shake fists at them) and then flail about when that doesn't work right because film isn't text and deviate in the wrong ways and in the wrong areas. That said, of course there are adaptations that don't bother at all (I, Robot) but that's a different topic. I shouldn't write things when my brain overfull and overtaxed hahaha.

• Options
    The fun part about the S1 stuff in expanse is its absolutely stuff that could have happened in the book you just don't get to see it firsthand

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Amos might be my favorite character in any running TV show at the moment.

I'm not a book watcher, but the latter season episode where:
    A little hostage situation is resolved and I think it's Holden that says "You guys are just lucky my mechanic was off fucking around" and all you can do is nod vigorously along in agreement.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    The Jason Momoa show about blind people that Apple TV+ is pushing looks like a really corny Children of Men ripoff though.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

A little hostage situation is resolved and I think it's Holden that says "You guys are just lucky my mechanic was off fucking around" and all you can do is nod vigorously along in agreement.

Mine is when
    they find out that the scientists have intentionally had their brains altered to make them psychotic and Amos is asking about whether or not something like that can be fixed, but in a "for a friend" kind of way.

Amos is screwed up, but he knows it and he really does try to keep things on the level for the people he likes.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Or also when Amos fights Miller
    He kindly explains that Miller really shouldn't try to fight him.

Then he explains that Miller shouldn't get back up.

Then he very calmly starts to choke the life out of Miller, and is totally confused at why naomi stops him. Miller chose to stand back up!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

Mine is when
    they find out that the scientists have intentionally had their brains altered to make them psychotic and Amos is asking about whether or not something like that can be fixed, but in a "for a friend" kind of way.

Amos is screwed up, but he knows it and he really does try to keep things on the level for the people he likes.

I know in the books
    Amos comments that he sticks with Holden because Holden seems to have a solid grasp of right and wrong and he's basically chosen to trust Holden to tell him what's what on that account.
    Is that in the show?

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    His moment in season one when...
    he looks out for the make prostitute at the bar and off hand mentions he "grew up in a place like this'

Is more character development than most characters get in an entire season.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Finished Mindhunter season 1. Very good, but I wish they’d learn to structure an episode of TV to work on its own.

I also watched both seasons of Great News, which was sometimes pretty funny. Like Thirty Rock, but broader and less inspired, but still enjoyable.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Finished Mindhunter season 1. Very good, but I wish they’d learn to structure an episode of TV to work on its own.

I also watched both seasons of Great News, which was sometimes pretty funny. Like Thirty Rock, but broader and less inspired, but still enjoyable.

Season 2 is a bit better put together

This discussion has been closed.