As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Battle Over Voting Rights (also Gerrymandering)

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Gundi wrote: »
    Would this be the thread to mention how NC Republicans in the state house did half the work Governor's veto of the 2019 fiscal bill by A. Swearing publicly and privately not to try and hold a vote on 9/11 for propriety's sake and to allow members of the house to attend 9/11 memorial services and B. scheduling meetings on how to begin the process of redistricting as previously mandated by state courts at the same time as when they secretly planned to hold the vote, and just not showing up to those meetings leaving NC democratic senior house members stuck in a different location as they held the vote? For reference, of the 120 members of the North Carolina house, only 64 were in the chamber to vote, and out of that only 9 democrats who just happened to have stayed in the building for other business. Almost every damn Republican legislator was in on it, and they all lied.

I honestly did not think they could sink lower but those goddamn pieces of shit proved me wrong. Even when they get ordered to stop undemocratic practices they use that to do even more egregious undemocratic practices.

To be fair, the judge only ordered them to stop very specific undemocratic practices. Perhaps we're the undemocratic ones for unilaterally insisting that these duly elected representatives stop undermining democracy all together?

Yes, that sounds right. Shame on us!

I'm not even registered to vote in North Carolina, so double shame on me for butting my nose in.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Would this be the thread to mention how NC Republicans in the state house did half the work Governor's veto of the 2019 fiscal bill by A. Swearing publicly and privately not to try and hold a vote on 9/11 for propriety's sake and to allow members of the house to attend 9/11 memorial services and B. scheduling meetings on how to begin the process of redistricting as previously mandated by state courts at the same time as when they secretly planned to hold the vote, and just not showing up to those meetings leaving NC democratic senior house members stuck in a different location as they held the vote? For reference, of the 120 members of the North Carolina house, only 64 were in the chamber to vote, and out of that only 9 democrats who just happened to have stayed in the building for other business. Almost every damn Republican legislator was in on it, and they all lied.

I honestly did not think they could sink lower but those goddamn pieces of shit proved me wrong. Even when they get ordered to stop undemocratic practices they use that to do even more egregious undemocratic practices.

It is truly amazing they believed them

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    They're only related in that they intentionally scheduled cross-party meetings about how to comply with the judge's orders about districting at a certain time in order to distract certain house members and guarantee they couldn't be in the room to vote. (and naturally their members of those meetings just... didn't show up to the meetings, instead going back to vote.)

Yeah it obviously shows they're acting in bad faith but they still have more time to comply with the judge.

Gundi on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Wait so they basically used the 9/11 tragedy to cover illegal legislative fuckery?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Oh I'm sorry, I lost context. I thought the "legal recourse" comment was about the lottery thing, and missed the post about them scheduling a vote altogether

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Wait so they basically used the 9/11 tragedy to cover illegal legislative fuckery?

Unethical, antidemocratic and incredibly destructive to any spirit of cooperation in their divided state government but probably not illegal. Sadly.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited September 2019

For reference the house has been in session for months longer than it should have been at this point because the GOP refused to negotiate with dems, so both sides had to sit in so the GOP wouldn't just try and ram something through. And so finally a deal was struck to allow the house members to be able to attend various events on 9/11... the house leadership informed various press and government agencies that there would be no voting today... additionally the Republican leadership schedules bunches of meetings with democratic leadership to make the story more credible to dems...the vast majority of the members all left to go to various events, most of the senior dem membership went to go to meetings... and then about half an hour later, once the coast was clear, all the Republicans came back. Only the Democrats who had other business or who just hadn't left yet could vote.

Gundi on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Even with such stiff competition the NC GOP is one of the most scum fuck state level parties in the country

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I had thought that the GOP couldn't sink to a low that would shock me at this point, but kudos to them for proving me wrong! I don't even have words to describe my thoughts about this fuckmuppetry. I can think of no better way to ruin any lingering bit of trust in that legislative chamber.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

The democratic party still cannot conceive the fact that the GOP have basically become 100% bad actors.

• Options
    kaid wrote: »

The democratic party still cannot conceive the fact that the GOP have basically become 100% bad actors.

Well part of the problem is acknowledging that to position them as "the enemy" which is definitely not healthy for democracy either.

I like to ART
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Well part of the problem is acknowledging that to position them as "the enemy" which is definitely not healthy for democracy either.

It's not a democracy when it has become one-party rule via mass cheating.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    If there are rules for the NC state house that mention quorum requirements, or requiring good faith actions (a rule against lying would be one), then I think the state supreme court can intervene. The NC Supreme Court telling the legislative body that they must follow the rules they themselves set does not seem like a stretch to me.

If there were no broken rules on how the state house operates though, then I dont think the courts can (or even should*) do anything about this.

*The courts telling the legislative body how they will conduct their business is a precedent I dont think any of us really want. Of course, when it's weighed against the effective death of democracy...

Veevee on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's the other half of it. There's pretty much a straight line from that to "democracy is unrecoverably broken, now what do we do?"
    (Very few of the answers, I acknowledge in advance, are appropriate for this board.)

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Veevee wrote: »
    If there are rules for the NC state house that mention quorum requirements, or requiring good faith actions (a rule against lying would be one), then I think the state supreme court can intervene. The NC Supreme Court telling the legislative body that they must follow the rules they themselves set does not seem like a stretch to me.

If there were no broken rules on how the state house operates though, then I dont think the courts can (or even should*) do anything about this.

*The courts telling the legislative body how they will conduct their business is a precedent I dont think any of us really want. Of course, when it's weighed against the effective death of democracy...

In the ethical standard thing, re:lying, each case is usually decided by a vote of the body in question.

So....yeah.

Edit: Also re:quorum
    RULE 3. Quorum. – (a) A quorum consists of a majority of the qualified members of the House.

So yeah, fuck the minority party there.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options

Right but natural the response to that very quickly leads to violence. It might be too late already but I'm glad one side is at least trying to not be accelerationist

I like to ART
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    It relates to the redistricting in that it's likely to move the judges strongly against allowing the GOP to even submit new district maps. The GOP pretty much showed they have no interest in behaving in good faith, show they have no credibility and thus it should be assumed they will not put forward a map that ensure that NC's elections are free and fair. I also imagine this will not go over well with anyone in NC that wasn't already a shit lord drinking the cool-aid. They one lied and I know some republicans and moderates that won't excuse that as a good play. There is also the fact that their actions pretty much shit all over victims of 9/11 and troops that were killed or wounded in Afghanistan and there are die-hard republicans that aren't going to take that action well.

Assuming that they GOP only needed a simple majority to override a veto, which seems odd because I thought most veto overrides required a super majority of sitting members, not super majority of present members. Either way, whether their shit budget sticks or not, they probably just ensured they will be out of power after next year.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Even with such stiff competition the NC GOP is one of the most scum fuck state level parties in the country

Remember when a bunch of Democrats donated money to NC GOP after an office was vandalized?

Yeah, those people were fucking morons.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

Ignoring the facts as they are is not healthy for democracy either.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

Remember when a bunch of Democrats donated money to NC GOP after an office was vandalized?

Yeah, those people were fucking morons.

Didn’t help that the whole thing screamed, “They did it themselves.”

No, antifascists would not scrawl “Antifa” on their vandalism.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Is there any legal recourse at all?

Gosh, this could go as high as the Supreme Court!!!

I actually think this is a case that the USSC wouldn't take because it's related to how the state legislature is functions. State Supreme Court would be top court.

Which, from up thread, is overwhelmingly Democratic (6 to 1).

I can say one thing, this bullshit makes me very happy I went and got my North Carolina ID and registered to vote here on Monday.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Is there any legal recourse at all?

Gosh, this could go as high as the Supreme Court!!!

I actually think this is a case that the USSC wouldn't take because it's related to how the state legislature is functions. State Supreme Court would be top court.

Which, from up thread, is overwhelmingly Democratic (6 to 1).

I can say one thing, this bullshit makes me very happy I went and got my North Carolina ID and registered to vote here on Monday.

Even so, given how meticulously organized this was I'd be confident that they went through every rule on the books to make sure it would hold up.

Every single GOP member had to know it was going to happen and participate in order for it to work. Multiple committee meetings AND public 9/11 events that multiple GOP reps said they would be attending because they'd promised there would be no votes.

This wasn't one guy finding a loophole in the rules.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

Right but natural the response to that very quickly leads to violence. It might be too late already but I'm glad one side is at least trying to not be accelerationist

Yes, that will surely be the straw that breaks the back of our American democracy, the Democrats calling what the Republicans are doing anti-democratic and saying that they are going against their sworn duty to uphold the interests of their constituents.

If they just keep engaging in "civility" and feckless hand-wringing, I'm sure things will all work out just fine as the GOP runs roughshod over every single norm, rule, code, and law that would allow for actual representational democracy.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Looks like the NC Senate may not have the votes to override unless they flip someone and the anti-abortion Dem who rebelled last time says he's with the Governor on this one.

https://www.wral.com/senate-no-plans-to-follow-up-on-budget-veto-override-this-week/18627575/

So hopefully the house reps just burned enough political capital to doom them them in their new districts; but it might behoove the Dems to set up cots in the chamber for the remainder of the session.

Was there anything in the budget that pertains to voting and such? I'm not seeing any articles really getting into particulars of what the veto was over; so I assume not or it would be front and center.

• Options
    The Senate Democrats have got to be facing a hellacious whipping operation. I'd expect anybody who breaks ranks to change parties soon afterwards.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Looks like the NC Senate may not have the votes to override unless they flip someone and the anti-abortion Dem who rebelled last time says he's with the Governor on this one.

https://www.wral.com/senate-no-plans-to-follow-up-on-budget-veto-override-this-week/18627575/

So hopefully the house reps just burned enough political capital to doom them them in their new districts; but it might behoove the Dems to set up cots in the chamber for the remainder of the session.

Was there anything in the budget that pertains to voting and such? I'm not seeing any articles really getting into particulars of what the veto was over; so I assume not or it would be front and center.

The primary point of contention is that the Gov and the Dems want to expand Medicaid and the GOP want poor people to die.

• Options
    One of the democratic senators has his son's funeral coming up.

I'm pretty sure they'll just hold the vote then.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

There's not really any way to work around that is the problem. It's why hardball is so destructive to governments. Like, you can't have all your members never leave.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    I was thinking about this a bit more:

Also, while there is definitely a point that you just have to give up on extending trust and having it taken advantage of, the really awful and discouraging part is that when you decide to go full asshole yourself, the assholes win. Not just because they tend to be better at it, having had more practice at playing the game that way, and stronger instincts for it; it's that they get the satisfaction of having their view of the world proved correct, and the only people who say otherwise are either naive or pretending otherwise/lying to get some sort of advantage (which is what they'd do). And there's less trust in the world overall, and more assholes, even if some at least start out thinking and saying it's only temporary or that they're doing it because they were forced to / for a worthy cause.

I don't have a solution. Maybe there isn't one.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I was thinking about this a bit more:

Also, while there is definitely a point that you just have to give up on extending trust and having it taken advantage of, the really awful and discouraging part is that when you decide to go full asshole yourself, the assholes win. Not just because they tend to be better at it, having had more practice at playing the game that way, and stronger instincts for it; it's that they get the satisfaction of having their view of the world proved correct, and the only people who say otherwise are either naive or pretending otherwise/lying to get some sort of advantage (which is what they'd do). And there's less trust in the world overall, and more assholes, even if some at least start out thinking and saying it's only temporary or that they're doing it because they were forced to / for a worthy cause.

I don't have a solution. Maybe there isn't one.

Fuck their satisfaction. Adopt their tactics as best as you can within your values and drive them into history. Deceive them at every single turn, rules lawyer everything, abuse poorly worded statutes, take every legal option available.

Who cares if they’re smug when they can’t make the world as awful as they want it to be any more.

This is mostly venting, but I am truly sick of their dedication to destroying anything good in the world in service of nothing but avarice and hate.

• Options
    I am too, but I acknowledge (or fear) that playing on their level without becoming them is IMO a very fine line to walk. :(

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I don't think they need to do much more than not trusting these people at their word, given they've flat out lied and then used 9-FUCKING-11 as cover to pull their bullshit.

They went "No, hey, let's table this so we can show respect and rememberance towards the victims of 9/11..... okay they're gone, let's get to work."

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I mean, it all sounds good in the abstract but as this quote points out:
    One of the democratic senators has his son's funeral coming up.

I'm pretty sure they'll just hold the vote then.
    it's not that simple.

Like, are you never gonna go to a funeral or a wedding or out to dinner or anything ever again?

You can't function like this.

shryke on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I've got to hand it to the Democrats there, honestly.

If the people I worked with tried even a tenth of this level of bullshit, I'd be throwing chairs, Taiwanese parliament style.

This is fucking despicable, and completely undercuts everything about democracy.

"Yeah, you go do your patriotic duties. We'll hold off until tomorrow....... PSYCH!".

And EVERY FUCKING REPUBLICAN who voted on this is complicit. You don't get to "I opposed doing it this way, but...". No, fuck your but. If you didn't vote against this bill out of principle that people were absent for rememberance ceremonies, because your party leaders promised, I don't want to fucking hear it. I hope (but do not expect) all of these fuckers are voted out, and never get employment above minimum wage again.

As is EVERY SENATE REPUBLICAN considering voting if they can manage to dick over the Senate too.

And they say liberals hate America. You used 9 fucking 11 as a cover for your heinous shit. Take your fucking flag humping faux patriotism, and crawl into a hole never to be heard from again.

Anyone know how this is playing out in the local news? Are the media covering it?

• Options
    I mean the few democratic senators there were yelling at the top of their lungs

"HOW DARE YOU DO THIS, SPEAKER? HOW DARE ALL OF YOU PEOPLE DO THIS!? WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE ARE YOU!? LIARS!?"

they were uh, about as angry as public figures are willing to get in public.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Was the NC house prevented from passing this in a normal session because of filibuster rules or something?
    Wiki says the republicans have a 65 to 55 lead on the democrats.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Aioua wrote: »
    Was the NC house prevented from passing this in a normal session because of filibuster rules or something?

It was a veto override so they needed 3/5

Edit: sorry, 3/5 not 2/3

LostNinja on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »

It was a veto override so they needed 3/5

Edit: sorry, 3/5 not 2/3

oh ok yeah that's some legitimately dirty dealing

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    As a new resident of NC, I am actually blown the fuck away over this behavior. Holy shit.

• Options
    Why must you keep living in terrible states, spool?

This discussion has been closed.