As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat] of Holding

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Just took the gf out for an absurdly expensive vegan molecular gastronomy dinner

I can safely say it was as good as the non vegan one I went to years back

Just incredible

you got ripped off, there's plenty of molecules in regular, cheap food.

Big if true!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    So uh

I found an AMD processor from 2005 in a drawer while looking for a flashlight

edit: *still in its unopened case

wait so then....

creepypasta voice what's in your computer?

…An Intel Core i5 or an AMD Ryzen 5, depending on which computer you're talking about?

I need to pick a cpu but there are so many words to read about them it's overwhelming to my tired brain. Is AMD good again? I'm coming from a... 4670k I think.

I don't really push my desktop too much, but I haven't really had any trouble with it so far??? Might wanna ask another person.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Just took the gf out for an absurdly expensive vegan molecular gastronomy dinner

I can safely say it was as good as the non vegan one I went to years back

Just incredible

you got ripped off, there's plenty of molecules in regular, cheap food.

Big if true!

small accually.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    So uh

wait so then....

…An Intel Core i5 or an AMD Ryzen 5, depending on which computer you're talking about?

I need to pick a cpu but there are so many words to read about them it's overwhelming to my tired brain. Is AMD good again? I'm coming from a... 4670k I think.

The new Ryzen processors that just came out a month or two ago are really great. They have a $500 CPU that is competitive with or beats out a $1200 CPU from Intel in both workstation and gaming tasks.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    So uh

wait so then....

Yea THE mid range gaming pc processor to buy is a Ryzen 5 3600

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Thanks friends. Ryzen it is.

That and a 2070 super should rip things up for a few years right? My 970 has lasted aaaaaages (and honestly still cuts it for the most part).

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu

That and a 2070 super should rip things up for a few years right? My 970 has lasted aaaaaages (and honestly still cuts it for the most part).

Yup that and 16gb of ram and you will be gold

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

if you're going AMD< you should consider their new video cards as well. Dollar for dollar they're currently faster than the comparable nVidia until you get to the Real Money Mofos, where GeForce still rules the top end.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    So uh

How did that happen?

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Isn't the Xbox One X AMD?

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular

Yup that and 16gb of ram and you will be gold

Nice. Anything to be aware of re mobos? Current one is from msi and it has given me some guff recently.

spool32 wrote: »

if you're going AMD< you should consider their new video cards as well. Dollar for dollar they're currently faster than the comparable nVidia until you get to the Real Money Mofos, where GeForce still rules the top end.

If he’s going 2070 the 5700 is in the same area but has no ray tracing

And Nvidia still has superior driver support

Get something like this for RAM to go with a new Ryzen: https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232530?Item=N82E16820232530

That combo of speed (DDR4-3200) and latency (CAS 14) puts you in the sweet spot for Ryzen performance.

spool32 wrote: »

Hmmmmm I had a Radeon card (7790 or something, it was a while ago) and had problems with their drivers if memory serves. That improved?

Krathoon wrote: »
    Isn't the Xbox One X AMD?

Both the PS4 and Xbox One and their next gen counterparts are AMD

• A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    So uh

How did that happen?

*opens drawer*

*sees a case with 'CPU' written in giant letters*

*takes it out and looks at it and sees that it's an AMD chip*

me: "Huh. A CPU."

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
    Also I think I still have nvidia stock whereas I dumped AMD (sorry Su Bae I still love you) so should probably support them heh

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Oh god

Mtg has “premium” booster packs now

what's premium about them?

Fancy art iirc

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Get something like this for RAM to go with a new Ryzen: https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232530?Item=N82E16820232530

That combo of speed (DDR4-3200) and latency (CAS 14) puts you in the sweet spot for Ryzen performance.

Ahah that looks like weaponry! Cutting hazard! But thanks - picking ram is always a guessing game for me.

FWW

FYI buy Control when you get your new pc thank me later

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    FWW

FYI buy Control when you get your new pc thank me later

Yeah that's honestly part of the impetus to get a new machine going. Plus I think it's still free with rtx cards!

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Also I think I still have nvidia stock whereas I dumped AMD (sorry Su Bae I still love you) so should probably support them heh

I have some vegetable stock in the fridge.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    Sarksus wrote: »

Ahah that looks like weaponry! Cutting hazard! But thanks - picking ram is always a guessing game for me.

Yeah it's rather ridiculous looking. There are definitely other options for that speed and latency but I picked that for my fantasy build because I've had GSkill before and these modules have really good reviews.

Man TGS is poppin off already

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    wandering wrote: »
    I remember I was disappointed when the writer of Broken Saints posted Loose Change with a comment like “this raises some important questions”

“What’s Broken Saints?”

Oh you know that “motion comic” from the 2000s

“Was it good?”

Probably not but it was cinematic and mysterious and Twin Peaksy and free and it came out in the heydey of Flash animation and so it seemed good at the time

What's Loose Change?

nvm, googled it. Looks like it's some 9/11 conspiracy thingy.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    I remember I was disappointed when the writer of Broken Saints posted Loose Change with a comment like “this raises some important questions”

“What’s Broken Saints?”

Oh you know that “motion comic” from the 2000s

“Was it good?”

Probably not but it was cinematic and mysterious and Twin Peaksy and free and it came out in the heydey of Flash animation and so it seemed good at the time

What's Loose Change?

nvm, googled it. Looks like it's some 9/11 conspiracy thingy.

It was the 9/11 conspiracy thingy. It basically started them all. Or took them to the big time.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Is this the thing that popularized the "Jet Fuel can't melt steel beams" line?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    I would also link the X570 motherboard I've been considering for the Ryzen but frankly it's absurd and I'm not even sure I want it yet. It's also a Gigabyte board because I always have gotten Gigabyte boards and I am superstitious, but there are probably other manufacturers you ought to consider too.

I wish I knew of a way to better compare motherboard features because Newegg's comparison tool is terrible for motherboards. Motherboard specs are an insane jumble of tech vomit.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.

videogames are crazy

Actually, I just remembered this insane spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wmsTYK9Z3-jUX5LGRoFnsZYZiW1pfiDZnKCjaXyzd1o/edit#gid=2112472504

I guess it's better than Newegg's compare tool.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Is this the thing that popularized the "Jet Fuel can't melt steel beams" line?

No, that was comedian Rosie O'Donnell. Loose Change was the core text for leftwing 9/11 truther conspiracy theorists - it hits all the big bullshit conspiracies and ties them together.

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Loose Change is my stripper name

when's it coming to switch

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    aww daniel johnston died

um @Vanguard maybe? feel sad w me

I was always a casual fan who felt a great deal of empathy for the guy. I found him around the time I was first understanding my own mental health issues, so despite only listening to a handful of songs (for more than a decade, admittedly), I’m finding myself surprisingly affected by his death. I hope he found some peace.

Edit: If people like documentaries and haven’t seen it, I really recommend The Devil and Daniel Johnston. It’s one of those experiences that’s celebratory and heart-breaking and doesn’t shy away from the scarier parts of his life. Like the man himself, it’s complicated and very open and earnest.

@Chanus this is a huge bummer

• Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    oops I ate all the wantons.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    Doodmann wrote: »
    oops I ate all the wantons.
    wanton devouring

This discussion has been closed.