As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Final Fantasy] Seven Remake is in the wild. Beware spoilers!

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    The decision to axe most (or all) of the existing Compilation of Final Fantasy VII English voice actors was a bit unfortunate, since they were getting progressive better I'd argue (here's hoping they kept the Japanese cast, and it's available?).

Most of the footage in the game looks expected, and not in a bad way. Some unusual things:

- For whatever reason, Rude gets a fancy suit for his new encounter with AVALANCHE (I don't believe you fight Rude until after leaving Midgar--then again, you don't even meet Elena until the Mythril Mines), in contrast to his appearances in Advent Children (he dresses like all the other Turks).
    - Tseng is revealed (with consistent attire).
    - Don Corneo is Don Corneo.
    - Giant holograms of Pres. Shinra and military chief Heidegger reference Wutai, which is alluded to until after leaving Midgar, as the historical enemy of Midgar and Junon (literature elaborates on some stories from Yuffie and others how sometime before the game, "Old" Midgar fought a war against the Empire of Wutai, which is further fleshed out in Crisis Core). There's the implication that Shinra is branding AVALANCHE as insurgent allies of Wutai, which would be reason for the population of Midgar to distrust or outright oppose them.
    - The assault on the Sector 7 Pillar, which is where you originally fight Reno (looks like here you'll have a scrap back in Aerith's church). You fight soldiers in Shinra's uniforms, though notably, in the original game, at the Pillar's base you can speak multiple Shinra military police commanders who are terrified of what's happening but refuse to abandon their posts, telling the populace to stay away from the pillar. While we do see infantry, we still don't see any red-coated officers (who were absent in all the other materials, leading me to think that Square-Enix might have retconned their design out of existence).
    - A new member of AVALACHE with a sword. Also, using parachutes to descend from the upper plate.
    - Tifa also fights a number of strange ethereal monsters connected to Sephiroth, like Cloud did in the last trailer.

Interesting stuff.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Oh no... I was hoping Barrett's voice was just temporary. Hopefully they give us Japanese VA and subtitle it then.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I definitely think that a lot of this line sounds bad is it just being plucked out of context, tbh the delivery can be as hammy as it likes, I'm more worried about lip syncing being too distracting.

However, it's shaping up to be a rad looking game at least, certainly feels like it's a reworking on the lines of what if we made this now, what would we do? Rather than a shot for shot upres which is nice.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I definitely think that a lot of this line sounds bad is it just being plucked out of context, tbh the delivery can be as hammy as it likes, I'm more worried about lip syncing being too distracting.

However, it's shaping up to be a rad looking game at least, certainly feels like it's a reworking on the lines of what if we made this now, what would we do? Rather than a shot for shot upres which is nice.

The gameplay itself does look quite good, but here's the problem: I've played on replayed FF7 entirely on the strength of the experiencing the world and the story while, on average, merely tolerating the gameplay. I never once wanted to play FF7 because of the combat.

So if the story experience ends up ruined from the VA work (which every bit of footage so far has given a STRONG indication of) and the gameplay is fun, actioney gameplay, that leaves me with a game I don't give a shit about because there's literally a million action games out there with empty, uninteresting stories.

But oh well, the worst case scenario here is that the remake is just an unplayable turd, which doesn't mean anything at all for the original release if I want to go back and play that.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I'm still putting money on them cutting out/drastically altering the cross dressing bit for Don Corneo because they're cowards.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    They have gone on record. multiple times because they keep getting asked, that they are not cutting it.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    That isn't a new AVALANCHE member he's chasing you.

Also OF COURSE Don Corneo is being done by Mark Hamill

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Kind of adorable that the Buster sword shrinks when you get frogged.
    I guess it had to but I expected them to just not show the weapon at all.

vamen on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Mark Hamill is a legend now. I remember being completely floored when I found out that he still had a career 10 years after Return of the Jedi, voicing the Joker for Batman: TAS.

It'll be a sad day if he ever stops doing VA work.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    They should just get Hamill to do all the voices. There's no way that wouldn't be an improvement.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    That new character kinda looks like he has some of Angeal's features...

But here's a prediction out of left field - it's either Kunsel or Luxiere from Crisis Core. If I had to pick one, it's more likely to be Luxiere.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    That does look sexy...

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    I'm still putting money on them cutting out/drastically altering the cross dressing bit for Don Corneo because they're cowards.

This is a pretty bullshit thing to say, since if they do do it, people will say they're insensitive or even bigots for doing it the "wrong" way. It will be completely disagreed upon what the "right" way to do it would entail.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    what's up with the ghost things? They appeared in the earlier trailer with Aerith, it seemed like Cloud could only see them when she touched him, implying it was some Ancient ability that was letting him see souls in the Lifestream or something, but here it clearly ain't that, there's some fuckin' ghoul subplot here. Maybe they're a new aspect to Jenova or they're replacing the Are Sick Guys?
    The original concept to show Jenova's cells moving towards reunion into physical body parts was something like those ghost guys. They basically served a similar function as the black robed mooks in the final story. With so many original FF7 devs back its highly likely they are picking this original concept up from the cutting room floor, although it may end up being used a little differently.

• Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    Hells of disappointed they didn't get Quentin Flynn back to play Reno again. And it's obvious they cast Barret on looks, 'cause it sure as hell ain't his acting:

MV5BMjc4MTA2NDY5MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTQ3MTgyMQ@@._V1_.jpg

• Options
    That lil' eety beety buster sword is all kinds of d'aaawww

i2ywm3nc4lmb.png

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I get unreasonably hyped when I think about how they're going to redo the Junon harbor WEAPON attack sequence.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Yeah, that'll be fun when they get to it fifteen years from now.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    The original cast? There was never voice acting in VII. This will be the original cast right now.

they've had voice actors for ages in the spinoff material and kingdom hearts

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

By the time we actually see it in a game, Disney will have bought Squareeenix, built a theme park from their games, and made a full-scale ride out of the Junon sequence.

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    I told myself I was going to stay off the hype train and remain skeptical. After all, I haven't liked a S-E game since... FFX, I guess?

But man.

Right in the nostalgia.

The voice acting is whatever, Advent Children had garbage VA at many points but I got used to it and I'm sure I'll get used to 7R. I didn't find anything terribly offensive in the trailer, it's just pretty generic anime VA direction.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular

By the time we actually see it in a game, Disney will have bought Squareeenix, built a theme park from their games, and made a full-scale ride out of the Junon sequence.

Ok but like, I'm in for that ride. We get to dress like sailors and ride a cannon

• Options
    So wait, 7R is a PS4 exclusive?
    Is that right?

But the PS5 will come out maybe 6-8 months later?

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    MMMig wrote: »
    Is that right?

Nothing's been announced for other systems, but it's very likely a timed exclusive. Microsoft has even "accidentally" leaked promotional material on their own websites.

PS5 is already promised to be backwards compatible with PS4. Plus its probably going to be too expensive for every PS4 owner to upgrade right away.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Honestly, I'm betting we'll see a release window not unlike the FF13 trilogy, about every other year apart.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Is that right?

They've confirmed it's a timed exclusive, so PS4 first, then other consoles X months after, but they haven't laid out any timetables.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    *plays FF15 tutorial*

*gets to the spellcrafting portion, I guess?*

....how the goddamn fuck am I supposed to make ice? My opponent is only weak against ice, but when I hit R1 I keep increasing the ice percentage, yet I somehow don't produce actual ice. Help?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Do you mean you're not actually completing the crafting? If so there's a small option under all the element stuff that's like "Finalize" or something. you have to hit that or else it just doesn't stick.

The spellcrafting UI is not good.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »
    Is that right?

They've confirmed it's a timed exclusive, so PS4 first, then other consoles X months after, but they haven't laid out any timetables.

Ugh.... I don't own a PS4 so not sure if I should just buy a used one for 7R release...

I ultimately prefer to play it on PC, though.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    edited September 2019

I think you mean the Gold Saucer.

That being said, a ride through Fortress Junon, complete with a military parade, naval review and gigantic fucking strategic-W.M.D. Mako cannon sounds pretty dope.

EDIT: Ah, no, you mean Junon. Nevermind then.
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    *plays FF15 tutorial*

....how the goddamn fuck am I supposed to make ice? My opponent is only weak against ice, but when I hit R1 I keep increasing the ice percentage, yet I somehow don't produce actual ice. Help?

Hmm, maybe I'm misunderstanding you? You base ingredient is one of the three elemental "pools" (no mixing and matching), which Noctis can only carry so much of (fire, lightning, ice). There's no reason not to just run around until you've completely filled those up, since the deposits are pretty common (unless you only use magic to attack), and use 99 of one of them. Combine them with some crap you found lying around for a particular status effect (a broken clock casts 'stop', that sort of thing), and create it.

Maybe you don't have any ice elemental..stuff?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    *plays FF15 tutorial*

I think you gotta hold it? I don't remember this tutorial tho. Magic is like 100% optional in this game. You can make it work in some setups (Exp boost bombs!) but depending on your mood it might be more trouble than it's worth.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    So if the story experience ends up ruined from the VA work (which every bit of footage so far has given a STRONG indication of) and the gameplay is fun, actioney gameplay, that leaves me with a game I don't give a shit about because there's literally a million action games out there with empty, uninteresting stories.

Finally got around to watching the trailer, and I'm really hoping for that Japanese voice option now.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    The english voices really weren't that bad. Tifa sounded sort of natural when she was talking to Cloud, but then, it was a natural conversation in a normal setting, and not lines spouted in the middle of combat out of context.

Even fucking Xenoblade Chronicles 2 had shit VA "DON'T FORGET MEEEE!" being spammed every second until they fixed it.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    One day I'll make time to play FF15.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Can't watch it right now - does it look like anime dubbing in that the actors are trying to force English lines into Japanese-directed animation?

Because if so, that's almost certainly a trailer-only thing, and when they go back and redo the lip sync, they'll redo the lines as well.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Talith wrote: »

It's a decent game that almost everyone on this thread loves to hate. It really hinges on how much you like/dislike the bros.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular

It's a decent game that almost everyone on this thread loves to hate. It really hinges on how much you like/dislike the bros.

It's more like there is a never ending parade of games I slightly want to play more always coming out.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Watched this earlier and I'm much more comfortable with the synching not being butts now. Also the music is fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NauR6LXV5ww&t=0s

it's the same first boss fight but with a bit more of the reactor beforehand and tiny smidge of Jessie

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options

It's more like there is a never ending parade of games I slightly want to play more always coming out.

Honestly, I really like it. And I think you'd have to full of shit to claim it isn't a technological marvel for 2016 and drop-dead gorgeous at times.

But it's not without its issues. Arguably, the fact that it is an a lot of fucking game could be one of them. If it weren't episodic, and even if it is, the VII remake could be under similar pressure. XV is a lot of game to go through even if you rush through it. I'm +80 hours in and just reached the point in Chapter 13 where I've decided I'm going to exploit the hell out of a certain time-jumping mechanic to replay all the quests I missed.

• Options
    I made this comment on the Nintendo Switch thread but man as an adult wanting to do more with my life, long RPGs are just not in the cards right now. Yes, I know I still keep plugging away at FFXIV but it's a different experience from a huge 50+ hour rpg. I can just drop in, do a 30 minute dungeon and feel like I accomplished something. Compare that to say DQXI; in 30 minutes I think I barely reached the first dungeon.

So...if FF7R is say a 15 hour or 20 hour game? I'm fine with that.

This discussion has been closed.