As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What is your favorite word?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Other
    also pretty much every word in the jabberwocky.

galumphing if I had to pick one.

I like Jabberwocky for being basically an exercise in writing a short story largely made out of total bullshit words with no meaning, and having it still work because you imagine meaning from context.

Enlong on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I could go for a snicker-snack right now

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I hear bandersnatch tastes just like jubjub bird.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Other
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    Laconic

Taciturn

Loquascious

Garrulous

These are all good, yeah. Particularly fond of garrulous myself, what a good word to describe someone.

Sometimes my anxiety will make me come off as garrulous

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I want to change my vote to pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

I learned it at a young age because it was the longest word in the English dictionary, so I wanted to be cool and be able to say it.

2nd place goes to antidisestablishmentarianism

Like many other similar words (hippopotomonstrosesquipedalianism was my own personal choice), this is one of those words that was essentially just created to be a long word. It's using traditional roots and construction methods, so there's technically wrong with it, but it's not a word that was created in the direction that we normally think of words being created, so it's kind of a weird situation.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Other
    I've been a big fan of Humuhumunukunukuapua'a since I got a bike that had it written on the side.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Verisimilitude
    "Gimcrackery." I've never had the opportunity to use it, but it just feels like such a savage dismissal of something that someone else thinks is important.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Moist
    Befucked

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I know my least favorite.

Monday, right...?

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Other
    You got something against DaMoonRulz?

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Guardian setters seem to have access to a nefarious dictionary sent straight from Hades.

i've been teaching myself how to do cryptic crosswords from the ones in the saturday paper

i was getting pretty confident so i went and had a look at the guardian ones

they can't be done! nobody could do them! i don't understand at all

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Guardian setters seem to have access to a nefarious dictionary sent straight from Hades.

i've been teaching myself how to do cryptic crosswords from the ones in the saturday paper

i was getting pretty confident so i went and had a look at the guardian ones

they can't be done! nobody could do them! i don't understand at all

Araucaria (RIP) was the only one I didn't periodically want to kill, from the regular setters anyway - sometimes hard, but always fair. Arachne is usually ok. Brummie and Paul can go fuck themselves, frankly.
    Though I have to give the latter a begrudging nod now and then. "Dog lead", a few days ago, was pretty good.
    Pointer

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Draconian
    the English names of the days are etymologically wild, the structure is imported from the Romans who based their names on astrological significance of planets, but swapped the Roman deity names for the planets for the thought-to-be equivalent Germanic/Norse deities, except for Saturn because there wasn't an equivalent Germanic/Norse deity

Monday/Moon's Day
    Tuesday/Tyr's=Mars' Day
    Wednesday/(W)odin's=Mercury's Day
    Thursday/Thor's=Jupiter's Day
    Friday/Frigg's=Venus' Day
    Saturday/Saturn's Day
    Sunday/Sun's Day

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Moist
    They seemed to have messed some of those up

• Options
    Other
    the English names of the days are etymologically wild, the structure is imported from the Romans who based their names on astrological significance of planets, but swapped the Roman deity names for the planets for the thought-to-be equivalent Germanic/Norse deities, except for Saturn because there wasn't an equivalent Germanic/Norse deity

Monday/Moon's Day
    Tuesday/Tyr's=Mars' Day
    Wednesday/(W)odin's=Mercury's Day
    Thursday/Thor's=Jupiter's Day
    Friday/Frigg's=Venus' Day
    Saturday/Saturn's Day
    Sunday/Sun's Day

Oh yeah, that was a thing they did when they went to other cultures. "Oh, yeah, you've been worshipping Jupiter all this time, you just called him Thor."

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Draconian
    joke's on them because the anglo-saxons kept the norse/germanic names in the calendar ha HA

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Poop
    It's still poop!

Aahahahahaaaaa

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    A fun localization thing like that is the names of the month

September was the 7th month, to match its name. October the 8th, November the 9th and December the 10th month.

Then the Roman emporers decided they needed months names after them, so Julius got a month and Augustus got a month and they ruined the whole damn thing.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    When I was younger and reading about Roman history I thought that October was named after Octavian and he was really greedy wanting two months for himself.

• Options
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Moist
    Octavian is Latin for 8 birds

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Other
    I don't get that crossword joke

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Cryptics always have two clues in the same phrase, one straightforward, one using wordplay
    ’I am shocked’ is the direct clue. ‘Young and old extremists’ gives you YGOD (ie the extremes of both words), while a resistance unit is an OHM

tynic on
  • Options
    @Crimson King I literally groaned
    50epdhn65crl.jpeg

a lot of the time i don't get them even when i have the answer in front of me

this one took me a while, it's actually really good though

the saturday paper ones are much easier. i think australian ones are easier in general

i'm used to doing american crosswords - an ex from boston got me into the new york times ones - and i still think they're more satisfying in a lot of ways, but it's nice to be able to finally do the home-grown ones

• Options
    I like the guardian best, I’ve always found the Times (uk variety) a bit opaque. US crosswords tend to be a bit cutesy, generally I prefer the more rigid structure you get in a proper cryptic. Something to rely on in this crazy world.

There is nothing more frustrating than having the answer and still not parsing the clue, though. Drives me utterly bats.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    You're supposed to get mad at them.

That is why they are called crosswords.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Moist
    Oh, you!

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    I like the guardian best, I’ve always found the Times (uk variety) a bit opaque. US crosswords tend to be a bit cutesy, generally I prefer the more rigid structure you get in a proper cryptic. Something to rely on in this crazy world.

There is nothing more frustrating than having the answer and still not parsing the clue, though. Drives me utterly bats.

the american ones feel much more rigid and predictable to me than the cryptics

it's just what you're used to tho

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    My favorite word, turns out, is still ninja

When my mind goes blank (as it usually does in times that can be described as boring), a voice always says, "You know what's awesome? Ninjas."

And I would nod in agreement.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Misericord is an excellent word

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Malevolence is also very nice to say

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Indubitably.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Moist
    bodge

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Chicanery is another favorite of mine.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Dong
    #pipe wrote: »

September was the 7th month, to match its name. October the 8th, November the 9th and December the 10th month.

Then the Roman emporers decided they needed months names after them, so Julius got a month and Augustus got a month and they ruined the whole damn thing.

I mean when they standardized the calendar they needed to name the new months *something*

This calendrical revisionism.....

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Other
    I love duodecember, because that’s Christmas time.

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Defenestrate
    I'm a defenestration man, myself.

In the castle in Prague they have a window called the window of defenestration, because during a rebellion they chucked a pair of tax collectors out of it. Both survived.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Other
    Eddy wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »

I mean when they standardized the calendar they needed to name the new months *something*

This calendrical revisionism.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr2x-pBuhvs

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's the one, although the fact that they landed in a pile of garbage may have just been propaganda - their supporters were claiming that they survived the fall because of a divine hand, and their detractors responded that no, it was just them landing where they belonged.

That was the third defenestration of Prague, for the record. It was the most famous one, and the one for which the word defenestration was coined. The first two were more fatal, although I believe that's because they killed the people in question first in at least one incident.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    It's not my favorite but I enjoy the visual and feel of gobbled and its variations