As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's get this [job] thread!

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    Wouldn't Motown clothes just be general sixties clothes though with some Motown music? I'm not sure if I'm being really dumb or this is a cross cultural thing I just can't understand from being raised in a different culture.

In the US Motown is definitely seen as being 'owned' by the black community and I'm figuring the worry is that while there's the possibility everyone would just wear 60s alt clothing and have a good time, there's a non-zero chance of people turning up in (at least) afros.

Ohhh okay that's not cool if that happened. I had no idea that there was that ownership thing though. Thanks for clearing that up.

Cultural differences!

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Wouldn't Motown clothes just be general sixties clothes though with some Motown music? I'm not sure if I'm being really dumb or this is a cross cultural thing I just can't understand from being raised in a different culture.

In the US Motown is definitely seen as being 'owned' by the black community and I'm figuring the worry is that while there's the possibility everyone would just wear 60s alt clothing and have a good time, there's a non-zero chance of people turning up in (at least) afros.

Ohhh okay that's not cool if that happened. I had no idea that there was that ownership thing though. Thanks for clearing that up.

Cultural differences!

Motown here also has a quirk where a lot of the artists were extremely exploited as well as they were often young, from poor black communities, and they didn't know any better (i.e. selling their songs and rights for pennies on the dollar). I say "quirk" not because anything I just said is surprising, particularly to black artists in the 60s, but because a majority of the exploiters were members of the same community. It's got an intersting history here.

That said, a great deal of the music is much beloved by a whole loooooot of people and is now often celebrated as being one of the original "american" sounds. Dunno how true that is or isn't, but hell, my first three concerts were Motown shows.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    This morning the internet went out in my area, so I packed up to go to the nearby Starbucks to get some work done there. The problem was, the nearby Starbucks also did not have internet for the exact same reasons. I quickly figured this out, and since I wasn't in a big rush and very rarely go to Starbucks, decided to try one of those fancy Pumpkin Cream Cold Brews.

While sipping my milkshake artisanal cold brew, I watched a procession of people walk and enjoyed an ethnographic study of people and how they react to adversity. Some choice examples:

1) One man spent 5 minutes in line, ordered a drink, and then stood around waiting for his drink before getting a seat and setting up his stuff to see if the internet worked. Upon finally getting situated, he realized the internet didn't work and angrily packed up his stuff and left.

2) A woman walked in, sat down next to me with her backpack of work stuff, and immediately checked her phone, whereupon she noticed that while you could connect to the network, the wifi didn't actually get you to the internet. She then asked me if the internet worked and I told her it looked like it was down like everywhere else, and she shrugged and went on her way to find an elusive source of working, free wifi.

3) An older gentleman went through the same steps as #1 except when he sat down and realized the internet wasn't working, he said, "Fuuuuck the internet doesn't work here, either!" while channeling this man's attitude. He then leaned back, took a bite of his banana bread, and contemplated the meaning of life in silence for a good 15 minutes.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    So, I thought I'd share a fun story from a few months ago...

I was getting increasingly bored in my then-current position and even started looking elsewhere for a job (this is probably how I ended up on the radar of the recruiting firm from my most recent story). Two openings came up in a department tangentially related to mine, and I decided to go for one. Put my application in, went through the interview process, and waited with bated breath.

Finally the hiring manager got back to me and tells me he has good news and bad news. The bad news is, they filled the two open positions. The good news is, he had just gotten another resignation from within his department. Why is this good news? Because he definitely felt I was qualified for the position, and really didn't want to go through the whole rigamarole of taking applications, interviewing candidates, etc. again. Company policy dictated that he needed to post the job, but he said he was going to post it for as short of a period as he could get away with, carry my application over, follow up in good faith with anyone else who actually managed to apply, and assuming that nobody else was overly qualified for it, he'd give me the job.

As it turns out, that's exactly what happened. The job posting was open for a week, and about two days after it closed, I got the formal offer.

I never felt better to be third place in my life.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    jgeis wrote: »

Then the fuck is their usual course of business?

Something something technology platform, supposedly.
    Which I guess translates to "inventing self-driving cars ASAP so we can get rid of drivers entirely".
    (until then, we just won't pay them.)

The correct answer is disruption!

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

Then the fuck is their usual course of business?

Losing money. Actually pretty true....

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I managed to hand off a $38k past due invoice to a whole different team today, which was nice, especially since this team that should have been handling it anyways had no idea the contract it was from even existed.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I’m really focused on getting tech certification and moving in that direction in the future.

But looks like the plan at work is to hire new account managers under me and move me into operations.

Let’s see if if my job or I can advance myself faster.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    TheStig wrote: »

Ultimately I am very happy that we're moving towards making gig economy workers actual employees and giving them the pay and benefits they deserve, but also a bit worried about how this will all shake out with regards to using Uber to keep my head above water financially. Any uncertainty is always scary, and there's a lot up in the air with the passing of AB-5.

Maybe it's time to polish up the ol' resume and see if I can't find my way into a higher paying 9-5.

First they took my plastic straws (unless I ask for one) now I have to treat full time workers like employees? What is the liberal dystopia?!

I miss plastic straws. One of the reasons I like ice coffee is to drink it through a straw in order to avoid teeth stains. I should just get a portable straw to take with me.

Edit: and being in California I turned around in the coffee shop I am studying with and got a locally made stainless steel straw, cleaning brush and bag for $6.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Ultimately I am very happy that we're moving towards making gig economy workers actual employees and giving them the pay and benefits they deserve, but also a bit worried about how this will all shake out with regards to using Uber to keep my head above water financially. Any uncertainty is always scary, and there's a lot up in the air with the passing of AB-5.

Maybe it's time to polish up the ol' resume and see if I can't find my way into a higher paying 9-5.

First they took my plastic straws (unless I ask for one) now I have to treat full time workers like employees? What is the liberal dystopia?!

I miss plastic straws. One of the reasons I like ice coffee is to drink it through a straw in order to avoid teeth stains. I should just get a portable straw to take with me.

Edit: and being in California I turned around in the coffee shop I am studying with and got a locally made stainless steel straw, cleaning brush and bag for $6.

In California at least it's not illegal to serve plastic straws, it's only illegal if you give them out automatically without being asked.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

In California at least it's not illegal to serve plastic straws, it's only illegal if you give them out automatically without being asked.

You know who asks for things?

Communists.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

You know who asks for things?

Communists.

And Christians!

"Ask and ye shall receive", and all that.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Several times I’ve been asked if I wanted a straw and I declined being an ecologically minded person but every time they brought one anyway.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    We just had a city ordinance passed where all single serve plastic things need to be asked for now, and not just out. So silverware, straws, things like that. The guy at the store was pretty annoyed he had to ask for a fork.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    We have one of those now too, and I actually like the reduction in waste and/or declining things I have no need for.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    We just had a city ordinance passed where all single serve plastic things need to be asked for now, and not just out. So silverware, straws, things like that. The guy at the store was pretty annoyed he had to ask for a fork.

I find it insane I went to jail over weeds yet down the street from me is a yard full of plastic bottles
    2m2qcf7y1zqe.png

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Yea that is a lot of bullshit dude.

Also for references, do you have any folks in the service you keep in touch with? They would be an excellent reference.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Several times I’ve been asked if I wanted a straw and I declined being an ecologically minded person but every time they brought one anyway.

I continuously forget to say "no straw" when I'm in the drive through, and so I have an every growing pile of wrapped straws in my junk drawer....

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    My restaurant just uses compostable everything for customers so we don't have to worry about it.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Work's been getting a little easier. Helps that I asked the principal to shoot out an email asking folks to ease up on my phone/desk/me in general because the person nobody liked talking to is gone and replaced by a much nicer, friendlier new person.

So she sent everyone what our general areas of expertise/work are (For me, it's students and schedules, for the new person it's staff/attendance stuff, for the other secretary it's special education stuff + purchasing)

Turns out nobody knew those things.

EDIT: Oh and I finally got an email from the school I interviewed with last month telling me I didn't get it, which I figured was the case. But I appreciate the closure and thanked them for giving me a chance and that I appreciated that they'd keep me in mind for future openings. We roll on.

Goose! on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    First year grad students may be scared of me.

Friend tells me that this happened:

"Oghulk is intimidating, I think he hates me"
    Friend:"he doesn't hate you, you'd know if he hates you"
    Other friend:"not true. Technically he hates everyone, some just less than others"

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I get paranoid and anxious about weird stuff. I left the work parking lot listening to loud music and for some reason I feel like I'll get in trouble.

This is frustrating.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    I listen to loud metal all day at work.

You’ll be fine.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Are you getting, or seeking, treatment for your anxiety?

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Sleep very disrupted.

Moms surgery recovery initiated

Fuck cancer

Coordinating with my family is like hearding cats

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Man, what kind of load is that under? Corrosion (non-painted spots look like wear)? That's an awesome metal tear. I've never seen something that thick rip like that. Worst I've seen is a 1'sq piece of 3/16" ripping in half across a hole, which felt insane at the time because.... You know... I kinda expect deformation before failure.

The plough weighs about 1.5 tons, couldn't tell you what the actual load is when it's working though (I really need to get on some sort of Agricultural Engineering course).

Looking closely it looks like it might have gone in two stages, there could have been a crack hiding under the dirt for a fair while waiting to open up further. (This is after a wash off, it was considerably filthier before).

qufxhx5m0h0v.jpg

Prolegomena on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Business wide broadcast from the CEO today, we all had to go and watch it.

I'm sure you can imagine the contents. About as much use as an electric window on a submarine

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Still digging through this pile of R.

In another fit of hilarity, the team that was "writing" the scripts did use source control. Which would be great if they had used it like anyone who had half a brain cell to rub together.

Source control is just storage for files a team works on. You work on the file and then add it into the source control. Then when my coworker needs to work on the file, they get the copy from source control, make any changes they need to and then update it in the source control. This gives you a bunch of useful tools, like seeing the history of changes to the file and who made what changes.

So that's how it would work, if you aren't on a team of encephalitic baboons. These god damn dumbasses can't even coordinate that together so every single ass waffle had their own source control repository. And what was actually running in production? Who the fuck knows, someone just used a file from their own private stash. And of course they have no backups of what was running in production.

Ugh.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Today is my Fridax

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular

In another fit of hilarity, the team that was "writing" the scripts did use source control. Which would be great if they had used it like anyone who had half a brain cell to rub together.

Source control is just storage for files a team works on. You work on the file and then add it into the source control. Then when my coworker needs to work on the file, they get the copy from source control, make any changes they need to and then update it in the source control. This gives you a bunch of useful tools, like seeing the history of changes to the file and who made what changes.

So that's how it would work, if you aren't on a team of encephalitic baboons. These god damn dumbasses can't even coordinate that together so every single ass waffle had their own source control repository. And what was actually running in production? Who the fuck knows, someone just used a file from their own private stash. And of course they have no backups of what was running in production.

Ugh.

What the...

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Does it count as Fridax if you’re spending all of tomorrow moving and unpacking?

Depends, are you working at your employer?

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    That feel when two of your work pals independently text you saying they miss you during your week off. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Ten gets you twenty that they'll argue they're a tech company that develops software. The driving is just an effect of the software the develop, not a service they provide.

Yeah, their positioning is that they provide a variety of services and that they're a tech service provider, not a specifically a transportation company.

They've been laying that groundwork forever. In tax and legal documents between drivers and Uber they refer to the drivers as customers.

Do Uber drivers get to determine the fare or does Uber make the call there? If they're the facilitator they shouldn't be given that option. They take about the same % that taxi companies do so I can kind of see the parallels but if that's the case they're locking themselves into a lot of laws for taxi companies now.

Maybe it protects them in California, but in NYC with the medallion system, it just gave the lawmakers and taxi companies a lot more ammunition.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »

Ugh.

What the...

Wild west programming, it's a trip

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Ugh.

What the...

and at the end a massive mechanical spider shows up.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »

Ugh.

What the...

and at the end a massive mechanical spider shows up.

It is sometimes oddly buggy

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

Ugh.

This is amazing, I need to share this with people

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

Ugh.

This is amazing, I need to share this with people

I heard a version of this story where one vindictive programmer would use his own private version to overwrite all the work of his teammate and have it Uploaded as the master at the end of the day. Apparently it was settled with fists when it was discovered

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Me: *works from home*

Work calendar: *screams about meeting on four separate devices*

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Saturdax begins with seeing the SO off and now I have to decide if I want to nap or play video games.

steam_sig.png