As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Programming] Page overflow to new thread

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    A tiny heater, you say?
    0m07g2ig1gga.png

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    "with storage basket" okay then...

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    "with storage basket" okay then...

That's where the tiny heater resides... whenever he feels like it.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    they make heating pads that plug into usb

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    People doing whatever they want got so out of hand around here at GenericMegaCorp that they stopped allowing people to "install" power strips themselves because they'd keep chaining them.

My record is 7.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    Any old pair of fingerless gloves will do. I used a pair back in my university days over winter when we'd rather spend the electricity money on keeping our computers going than using the electric heaters

Two pairs of socks, PJ bottoms, jeans, long-sleeved t-shirt, two hoodies and fingerless gloves kept me City of Heroes-ing in temperatures below 0C

I'll give it a shot, thanks. So tired of typing a few words and then having to warm up each hand.

A coworker of mine has a tiny desk heater she uses. Might look into one of those.

I think our office doesn't let us buy them.

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting you ask them.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    People doing whatever they want got so out of hand around here at GenericMegaCorp that they stopped allowing people to "install" power strips themselves because they'd keep chaining them.

I remember a previous job where enough people had heaters or kettles plugged in that every so often a breaker would get overloaded, and an entire row of people would simultaneously start swearing. (that was when we were all using desktop PCs -- at one point I found an old UPC that was sitting around unused and reappropriated it, which made my life that bit less stressful)

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Worst problem we have in that department is that we can't run two coffee machines and the tea kettle at the same time.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    We're going through an EHS audit so facilities sent out this notice about how any personal appliances need to be removed -- this includes things like the little toaster someone brought from home for everyone to use in the break room, as well as any personal things like coffee machines and mini fridges people are keeping in their offices.

They're claiming that they're going to replace anything removed from the break room with industrial-grade stuff, but it is a sad week in the office

edit: programming stuff -- I get to write plugins for Telegraf which is written in Go so I get to learn a new language!

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    Got access to the new github actions stuff. Is their go stuff broken or am I just stupid?

Used their default action - it couldn't install `dep` even though that is part of the default code they provide. The problem was that the directory dep wanted to copy stuff to did not exist, so I created it. $GOPATH is not set, $GOBIN is not set. After making sure the dir is created and setting the env vars, `dep ensure` still fails because where they try to run it from is not inside `$GOPATH/src`

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Worst problem we have in that department is that we can't run two coffee machines and the tea kettle at the same time.

This is the most European thing I've ever read.

• Options
    Programming stuff: My new project has me using Serverless.IO stuff to write an API Gateway/Lambda function to do some mobile POS system work for a large retail company. It's pretty fun stuff!

• Options
    Well, I've worked through the various nonsense to get `dep ensure` to work. Now I'm getting a bunch of errors like this.
    ##[error]rest_api/restapi_test.go:253:26: cannot use db (type *"github.com/jmoiron/sqlx".DB) as type *"github.com/jmichalicek/worrywort-server-go/vendor/github.com/jmoiron/sqlx".DB in argument to worrywort.FindTemperatureMeasurement

I may have to break down and just run this shit in a standard go container rather than trying to run it on their vm.

• Options
    Jimmy King wrote: »
    Well, I've worked through the various nonsense to get `dep ensure` to work. Now I'm getting a bunch of errors like this.
    ##[error]rest_api/restapi_test.go:253:26: cannot use db (type *"github.com/jmoiron/sqlx".DB) as type *"github.com/jmichalicek/worrywort-server-go/vendor/github.com/jmoiron/sqlx".DB in argument to worrywort.FindTemperatureMeasurement

That's probably a vendor/gopath mismatch, typically happens when you only have some parts of a package vendored and then some code uses other un-imported parts from the gopath.

• Options
    Jimmy King wrote: »

That's probably a vendor/gopath mismatch, typically happens when you only have some parts of a package vendored and then some code uses other un-imported parts from the gopath.

I found it. I've got one step which installs dep and then runs `dep ensure`. Then another step which runs `go vet ./...` and another `go test ./...`. I needed to cd back to the source dir which was inside my $GOPATH. The new steps moved me back out to the source checkout dir which github does which is not inside $GOPATH.

Still a somewhat broken setup since their barebones go starter includes installing dep, but fails. The process overall requires too much mucking about with boilerplate continuing to set the same things over and over unless I've missed some base level configurability at the workflow level. I hope some day someone gets hosted CI right. I'm on the verge of setting up Jenkins because no one quite gets hosted CI right for what I want... but I don't have the time to muck with it and I'm already too close for my own comfort to the ops/glorified system administrator side of devops stuff at work right now.

• Options
    Has anyone had any success with React Native on iOS devices? The app we're looking at isn't going to really be all that complicated. All of the hard stuff is taken care of in the backend. I'm just wondering if anyone here's used it before.

• Options
    So we're using a third-party Go SDK for their service we're writing an integration for, and Jesus Harold Ramis Christ on a pogo stick.

This is the same SDK that randomly panics instead of returning an error. I just discovered that for whatever reasons (trying to micro-optimize performance?) they don't use json.Unmarshal (avoiding using reflection? Who knows!), they do some weird-ass string manipulation instead in order to get HTTP payloads parsed into structs.

I'm sure this cannot possibly backfire in any way.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Whhhhhyyyyy? json is so clear and simple, you don't need to reinvent the wheel people!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Has anyone had any success with React Native on iOS devices? The app we're looking at isn't going to really be all that complicated. All of the hard stuff is taken care of in the backend. I'm just wondering if anyone here's used it before.

I used about a year and a half ago. It was not a pleasant experience. Whatever you do, don't use Expo. There are a lot of things RN does that it does not support, at least when I used it. You're better off building an RN app from scratch, rather than using Expo as a framework.

• Options

We have done some stuff with it where I work, including going to Apple TV and using React Native Web to come full circle back to a website. The general concensus is that it's fine for prototypes and simple stuff, but gets to be kind of a pain in the ass for serious apps with any complexity. They also make sweeping changes which require you to rewrite a bunch of stuff too often.

I played with it a bit personally, but only focused on the Android side since I've got an Android phone - scrapped the project before I got around to caring about the iOS side. It has been a couple years, but at the time, I felt like I had to spend too much time fighting with "boring" stuff like just simple navigation around the app and getting buttons up in the header type area, etc.

I also was not a fan of Expo. It seemed like a neat idea, but I felt extra hamstrung when I tried to use it. I don't remember specifics now, but remember feeling like it was forcing some patterns on me which were clearly not going to give me much freedom to do what I needed to do.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    If you know how to React app then you likely won’t be running into the same kinda issues above. Works fine for the Native part.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks guys. The app is not going to be complicated at all. Most of the heavy lifting will be done on the server. I was just curious if it works for a small group of developers that have 0 Objective C/Swift experience and a TON of React experience.

• Options
    I want to play around with Flutter, but I can't seem to get the Android SDK to install on my machine. It downloads and goes through the installation, but when I refresh the SDK manager in Android Studio, it says it's not installed.

• Options
    Whhhhhyyyyy? json is so clear and simple, you don't need to reinvent the wheel people!

Especially for a damn HTTP request. The time it takes to unmarshal JSON is insignificant in comparison.

• Options
    Awesome, thanks guys. The app is not going to be complicated at all. Most of the heavy lifting will be done on the server. I was just curious if it works for a small group of developers that have 0 Objective C/Swift experience and a TON of React experience.

This is a pretty good case for React Native then yes.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So we're using a third-party Go SDK for their service we're writing an integration for, and Jesus Harold Ramis Christ on a pogo stick.

This is the same SDK that randomly panics instead of returning an error. I just discovered that for whatever reasons (trying to micro-optimize performance?) they don't use json.Unmarshal (avoiding using reflection? Who knows!), they do some weird-ass string manipulation instead in order to get HTTP payloads parsed into structs.

I'm sure this cannot possibly backfire in any way.

Go's default JSON code isn't very well optimized (which is why there are ~500 gazillion different competing json Go libraries out there to replace it). It sounds like a really really bad attempt at improving the parse performance.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Here's an interesting use of terraform.

Some important notes:
    7) I cannot emphasize enough how much you are actually going to be ordering a pizza. Please do not be surprised when you receive a pizza and a corresponding charge to your credit card.

8) As far as I know, there is no programmatic way to destroy an existing pizza. terraform destroy is implemented on the client side, by consuming the pizza.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    so, I back up my Mac development machine with time machine... if you've been keeping up with Apple software in the last 5 years, this should inspire fear... as things have been getting a little ruddy

but my primary mac had a hardware failure that I needed to mail off to fix, forcing me to use my backup system to create a clone

amazingly, it worked. even with less disk space than the original, allowing me to prune down what got restored from the backup, I was able to spin up a new dev machine with my time machine backup and was up and running doing business critical stuff within a few hours

I attribute this success mostly to the original clever design of OS X (and by extension, unix itself)... with most system configuration and preferences details being stored properly in files that are apart from the software itself, the Time Machine backup has a remarkably detailed memory, right down to maintaining user sessions in my browser between machines... which is eerie... remembering the UI state of various windows in my dev tools, and so on... despite those tools not being installed on the backup at first run.

not bad for $0... I'm not sure I could do the same on a Windows box without at least some third party software to steer the process along

• Options
    Yeah, there's nothing as good no matter how much you spend, due to how Windows (mis)manages applications as you point out.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Do you guys develop on desktops or laptops? If you do it on desktops do you just VPN/Remote Desktop from home? Or do you have a shared desktop app that transfers your profile around? I'm trying to figure out how much I want to push for a desktop. The laptop I use (HP Envy, i7, 16GB of RAM, 800GB of SSD) is just hot garbage. I can't have Youtube running (for music) + MySQL Workbench + VSCode + anything else without something taking several seconds to happen. I'm trying to decide if a Ryzen + 32GB + SSD is worth pushing for when it's ~$400 cheaper than another laptop for the company, but it goes against the standard.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I swear I don't understand giving devs hardware that you expect them to use for years, but is woefully under powered because it costs less than a couple of weeks of their salary.

There's watching costs... and then there's just being cheap in a completely self defeating way.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    Do you guys develop on desktops or laptops? If you do it on desktops do you just VPN/Remote Desktop from home? Or do you have a shared desktop app that transfers your profile around? I'm trying to figure out how much I want to push for a desktop. The laptop I use (HP Envy, i7, 16GB of RAM, 800GB of SSD) is just hot garbage. I can't have Youtube running (for music) + MySQL Workbench + VSCode + anything else without something taking several seconds to happen. I'm trying to decide if a Ryzen + 32GB + SSD is worth pushing for when it's ~$400 cheaper than another laptop for the company, but it goes against the standard.

Had a X260 Stink Thinkpad for nearly 2.5 years, got upgraded to a Macbook about two months ago.

Used to RDC from my home computer to the Thinkpad when I worked from home, but for the Mac I just work directly on it - it's way nicer to work on than a Thinkpad.

• Options
    Yeah honestly I'd love a Macbook but there's no way they'll shell out the cash for one... Even though one of the guys here uses one for his work and has been on it for about 4 years or something without issue. And we've been swapping Windows laptops (both HP and Asus) almost yearly for the team.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

microsoft has put the STL on github, and is in the process of open sourcing development of it (i wouldn't yet say it's done, as things like contributor guidelines and public CI is still being worked on)

https://github.com/microsoft/STL

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    My primary dev machine used to be my Dell 5520 (i7, 32 gigs of RAM, 500 gig NVME). It’s okay. I’ve got a desktop now (the enterprise version of the i9 9900, 64 gigs of RAM, 2x1TB NVME). It is so much better it is now my primary dev machine. When I end up spending most of my time back in the lab I’ll probably end up remoting in unless the wireless access proved too unreliable or I’m traveling. Desktops rock.

• Options
    I got a Raspberry Pi 4 + Flirc case in the mail today. Going to use is as my new main home IoT server thing.

But first I'm going to go complete overkill and experiment a bit with Kubernetes on it. Both to learn more k8s, and hopefully to avoid doing a bunch of ad-hoc installation of stuff I want to run on it.

• Options
    I have a desktop, but I'm self employed and work from home. So I'm not the best person to ask.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I think I'd murder a man if he tried to take away my work desktop (i7, 32 GB DDR4, 256 GB SSD [but pestering the boss for a NVME] for OS/programs, 128 GB SSD for local VM's), with but a few exceptions. I've got 5 instances of Visual Studio open at the moment, VMware Workstation (running 1 local VM, and have 2 open from one of our ESXi servers), Chrome, Firefox, and a bunch of random tools that range from "uses little to no resources" up to "would you quit pegging a CPU core by yourself, please".

I use Remote Desktop to get into it from home, when working from home.

My personal MBP from mid 2012 (one of the first retina ones, but the model where they randomly bumped the CPU up from the first-first retina models) is still going like a beast, though I don't think I'd want to do my day job on it.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    We have a desktop and a laptop.

Desktop specs:
    HP Zsomething chassis
    Xeon E5-1680v3 (8C/16T, 3.2GHz)
    32GB of RAM
    Red Hat 7 for the OS

Few different laptop models, but they're all HP unless you work in an acquired unit that is allowed to have a MBP. The HPs run like crap with all the IT garbage loading down Win 10.

They've tried two different times to replace the workstation desktops with on-prem "cloud" VMs, but it has never worked out completely because they suck.

a5ehren on
  • Options

For my work dev, I use a laptop. I've got macbook pro with ssd and 16gb ram... 2017 era, I think. First ones with the garbage keyboard and stupid touchbar and fake esc key which enrages me every time I use vim. I almost pray for it to have issues so I can get one with 32gb ram, but overall it does well.

I do quite a bit of dev at home on a Windows 10 i5-8400 w/32gb ram and ssd, though. That also works great.

This discussion has been closed.