As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Slay the Spire] Silently Watching the Defective Ironclad Heart.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »
    Big balance changes today.

Lots of changes. Half of what I said a few posts back is obsolete.
    Are there any patch notes online anywhere? I'm curious what direction they're moving in.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Big balance changes today.

Lots of changes. Half of what I said a few posts back is obsolete.
    Are there any patch notes online anywhere? I'm curious what direction they're moving in.
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/646570

Follow the game on Steam to receive automatic updates!

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    The curse bell now seems totally worth it.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I almost never took white elephant, so I'm happy to see it taken out of the boss pool

White Elephant is pretty good, but it was a bummer as a boss relic without other potion-related toys.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    seems like the boss relic changes are really going to help eliminate the 3 energy runs hopefully

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    I almost never took white elephant, so I'm happy to see it taken out of the boss pool

White Elephant is pretty good, but it was a bummer as a boss relic without other potion-related toys.

I would be much more likely to take it outside of the boss pool. A run's success or failure depends strongly upon picking the right boss relics for me and just getting lots of potions that may or may not help was never that great compared to getting more energy or removing some dead weight from my deck.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    How can anyone afford to buy relics when all the gold I make goes directly into pulling cards out of my deck.

The trick is to hit events that allow you to remove a card/cards for free, like putting a curse into the fire to get the Poop Relic that does nothing.

Do NOT try and transform curses unless they're super terrible ones like Normality, because they can end up being a worse curse than the one you had.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Morran wrote: »
    How long have previous beta test for new characters been? Really looking forward to a new character, I'm starting to feel a bit stuck on A4-5 for the other characters.

Can't participate in the beta due to playing on switch.

I would not expect it any time soon. I've been talking to one of hte devs and tehy jsut made a line about the first 3 weeks being crazy for a character. So i'm expecitng that's the absoloute minium amount of time it'll spend in beta, and frankly, i expect longer. (It still has no card art, which is a big thing, and i imagine they'll want to get Beta art for it too).
    One the changes they are trying out that we haven't talked about is move several relics around.

From memory

White elephant is no longer a boss relic.
    Orrery is now a shop relic.
    Meal ticket isn't a shop relic.
    Lizard Tail isn't a boss relic.

Anybody notice anything else?
    I think White elephant and lizard tail are too good and need to be nerfed slightly to just be normal relics.

But I really like the meal ticket change. and Orrery will depend on how much it ends up costing.

There's a lovely list of all the changes here: https://www.reddit.com/r/slaythespire/comments/d21tcj/compilation_of_beta_changes_992019/

The relic changes specifically:

Relics

Shop Relics now cost 150 gold (down from 200)

Pure Water (Starter, Watcher): At the start of each combat, add a Miracle into your hand.
    Akabeko (Common, all classes): Your first attack each combat deals 3 additional damage.
    Ceramic Fish (Common, all classes): Whenever you add a card to your deck, gain 7 gold.
    Ink Bottle (Common, all classes): Whenever you play 10 cards, draw 1 card.
    Melange (Common, Watcher): Whenever you shuffle your draw pile, Scry 3.
    Tungsten Rod (Common, all classes): At the start of your turn, if it is before turn 6, gain Block equal to the current turn.
    Strike Dummy (Uncommon, all classes): Cards containing "Strike" deal 3 additional damage.
    Teardrop Locket (Uncommon, Watcher): Start each combat in Calm.
    Yang (Uncommon, Watcher): Whenever you play an Attack, gain 1 temporary Dexterity.
    Cloak Clasp (Rare, all classes): At the end of your turn, gain 2 block for each card in your hand.
    Holy Water (Boss, Watcher): Replaces Pure Water. At the start of each combat, add 3 Miracles into your hand.
    Sacred Bark (Boss, all classes): Double the effectiveness of potions.
    Slaver's Collar (Boss, all classes): During Boss and Elite combats, gain [E] at the start of your turn.
    Violet Lotus (Boss, Watcher): Whenever you exit Calm, gain an additional [E].

Balance Changes

Meal Ticket: Now Common (was Shop)
    Toy Ornithopter: Now Common (was Shop)
    Eternal Feather: Now Uncommon (was Boss)
    White Beast Statue: Now Uncommon (was Boss)
    Lizard Tail: Now Rare (was Boss)
    Black Blood: Now heals for 12 HP (was 10)
    Calling Bell: New effect: "Upon pickup, obtain a unique Curse and 3 relics." (see Curse of the Bell, above)
    Hovering Kite: New effect: "The first time you discard a card each turn, gain [E].
    Wrist Blade: Now adds 4 additional damage (was 3)
    Orrery: Now Shop (was Boss)

There's some big things in here!

Sacred Bark is huge. 10 regen, 2 copies of a power/attack/skill.. it does a LOT of work. Toy Ornithoper and Meal Ticket becoming common relics is a big change - there's now a bunch more reliable sustain accesible to all characters. White Beast Statue becoming a uncommon is a big deal too - Potions is a very viable approach fro the Silent now, and most other characters to

Lizard Tail as a rare is actually pretty cool - Having a Get Out of Jail relic is a useful trick, esp when going for heart kills.

Slaver's Collar seems... suspect. But better than previous non-energy relics. Still, hallways fights are the majority of fights, and frankly you often need energy in them more than you need it in Elite and Bos s fights(More time to setup in the latter too).

A lot of the new relics are exciting as well - Akabeko is not amazing, but it's hardly weak either. Inkbottle is just plain nice. Cermaic Fish is a cool early common, Tungsten likewise. Strike Dummy is pretty niche, but hardly something you'd be upset to find early - hell, if you can score it and the upgrade all strikes event, your strikes do 12 damage. Which is actually not bad. Cloak Clasp is obviously the dream with Runic Pyramid.

Calling Bell is def very good now, Curse of the Bell is just an Injury, so that's a very nice thing.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Akabeko is such a bad Relic haha

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »

It works with Whirlwind, right? Other than that yeah, not very useful.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

I.. dont actually a gree?> It's not amazing or anything that's going to be doing crazywork, but it's a nice early game boost, and it has some syngery with multi-attacks or Bag of Marbles. It's basically the Mutagen relic, but only works for one attack and you cant artifact it. Which is perfectly fair, really, given Mutagens requires a lot more choice. and hell, if it's too weak, it'll get buffed!

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Yeah, there are definitely cards where it's fine. Like, consider the immediate scaling on Pummel or Sword Boomerang or something. It's not THE BEST relic or anything, but it could easily be a lot of damage in act 1 (and parts of Act 2) with some backing card choices.

Otherwise ...
    Eternal Feather: Now Uncommon (was Boss)
    Blows my mind. I've won an awful lot of runs off Eternal Feather because it basically lets you be guaranteed to upgrade cards at every campfire. Dropping to uncommon seems really very good.

New Calling Bell is almost certainly too good. The curse doesn't do enough and 3 relics is a lot. I'd prefer the curse be a bit more interesting and meaningful, honestly. Like, it should at least be along the lines of Necronomicurse as a nuisance with fun interactions.

New Calling Bell is almost certainly too good. The curse doesn't do enough and 3 relics is a lot. I'd prefer the curse be a bit more interesting and meaningful, honestly. Like, it should at least be along the lines of Necronomicurse as a nuisance with fun interactions.

Maybe I'm just unlucky but I've gotten the new version twice and got nothing worth mentioning both times. I think the last time I got a Turnip, Tungsten Rod and Ancient Tea Set or something like that. That's not better than +1 energy for sure, with or without one curse.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I feel like the new calling bell is worth considering, as opposed to never ever worth taking. Getting even one Normality was awful, and the relics didn’t usually make up for it.

God forbid you got old calling bell for rolling a random boss relic at the beginning of the run.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    Mirkel wrote: »

Maybe I'm just unlucky but I've gotten the new version twice and got nothing worth mentioning both times. I think the last time I got a Turnip, Tungsten Rod and Ancient Tea Set or something like that. That's not better than +1 energy for sure, with or without one curse.
    Turnip and Tea Set are both quite good though. :P Regadless, few things are an extra energy every turn, but it's not like they are universally an option. Like, I would compare Calling Bell to Tiny House at this point, and I would almost certainly pick bell over house the vast majority of the time, because 3 relics can be exceptionally powerful.

Mirkel wrote: »

Turnip and Tea Set are both quite good though. :P Regadless, few things are an extra energy every turn, but it's not like they are universally an option. Like, I would compare Calling Bell to Tiny House at this point, and I would almost certainly pick bell over house the vast majority of the time, because 3 relics can be exceptionally powerful.

Turnip is one of those things that can save your bacon and you don't really notice. Anyways, they removed a lot of chaff from the boss relics which means the competition for the new Bell is a lot stiffer. You tend to be offered at least one energy relic along with it, often two. Bell has that delicious gambling aspect to it though, it's always fun to see what you get this time.

The brutal tradeoffs for many of the energy relics kind of embody the whole feel of StS

Picking powerful options while wincing

• EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    I can’t wait to line up a perfected strike deck with strike dummy. The value from an upgraded pommel strike with that relic will be great!

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I thought I was gonna get my first win with the Ironclad having hit nearly 120 HP with Feed but the deck turned out to be juuuuust inconsistent enough that I couldn't always get to 70ish block on the right turns and the boss wore me down. V sad, Power Through and the medical kit made that an extremely fun deck.

I got an earlyish Barricade this time tho so I've got High Hopes. Been trying to delay indefinitely and farm my HP back up during fights with Bites but I don't have enough good block cards yet I think.

Got both the attack and skill egg relics tho and that's been delightful.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So they used this beta to change some wording, right? That's why old cards say Scry on them now instead of explaining the entire concept on the card?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    So they used this beta to change some wording, right? That's why old cards say Scry on them now instead of explaining the entire concept on the card?

Yes. I think that one was a bad change, possibly.

If you've got feedback, serious suggestion for you all - hop on the offical slay the spire discord. head to the bugs and feedback channel. Then make a post with bug: or feedback: or suggestion: as the formatting - a bot will autorecord it. Speaking to the devs directly, it's the single best way to get them feedback =)

If you've got feedback, serious suggestion for you all - hop on the offical slay the spire discord. head to the bugs and feedback channel. Then make a post with bug: or feedback: or suggestion: as the formatting - a bot will autorecord it. Speaking to the devs directly, it's the single best way to get them feedback =)
    I can't both agree and awesome this post, so have a quote stating as such instead. ;P

I can't both agree and awesome this post, so have a quote stating as such instead. ;P

I should be clear: i literally went and asked the devs directly what was the best way to give them feedback. It's been real nice chatting with one of the lead devs =)

On that note, guess what time it is? Stream time! There's just been a patch with some great changes, and new relics.

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    yaaaaay

bsui1s3prja5.jpg

Look at this pile of garbage:

p9o8zpyxy1uo.jpg

My game plan was basically to pray that Snecko, glory be, would bestow upon me an affordable Barricade before I died and then slowly exhaust away all my cards until I could semi-reliably get an Entrench.

MVP goes to the fairy potion that let me play all my powers and then die and start playing blocks the next turn.

aouftb6kr3m31.png?width=894&auto=webp&s=1cd5bc2a59d3d59db26e6d3c119dd5e423258f11

New beta patch.

Changes:

Vigilance now gives 8 block + Calm, changed from draw 2 + Calm. [Common, 2 cost]

Prostrate: Gain 1 Mantra. Gain 4 block. [Common, 0 cost]

Flurry Of Blows: Deal 4 damage. On Stance change, returns from the discard pile to your hand. [Uncommon, 0 cost]

Inner Peace now reads "If you are in Calm, draw 3 cards, otherwise enter Calm." [Uncommon, 1 cost]

Simmering Fury: Scry 3. Enter Wrath at the start of your next turn. [Uncommon, 1 cost]

Brilliance: Transform your hand into Miracles. Exhaust. [Rare, 1 cost]

Tungsten Rod: Whenever you would lose HP, lose 1 less.

Captain's Wheel: At the start of your 3rd turn, gain 18 Block. (based on someone else's comment, not verified myself)

Horn Cleat: At the start of your 2nd turn, gain 12 block.

The cute thing re: Horn Cleat and Captains wheel is they're a trio with Anchor now. CW and Horn Cleat are actually a big fucking deal - Heart Fight, Awoken One, a4 elites are all fights where a pile of free block on thos exact turns is HUGE

Tungsten rod seems crazy. Brilliance seems bad... unless you have Dead Branch. In which case it's an autopick. The Vigilance change is really nice, though loosing the card draw sucks (Watcher adores card draw). I dont like the Carve Reality change though - loosing Truth and Wisdom as options makes these cards feel a lot less fun to play

What were the changes to carve and deceive? I leaned hard on both those cards

The new tungsten rod is delightful. Fuck you, birds.

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    does tungsten rod + Torii work the way I want it to?

Also how does it work for say, combust?

Also Vigilance was my go to early card remove for watcher, so i'm going to have to rethink that.

BSoB on
    does tungsten rod + Torii work the way I want it to?

Also how does it work for say, combust?

Also Vigilance was my go to early card remove for watcher, so i'm going to have to rethink that.

i'd guess tungsten rod/torii interactions would depend on the order you got the relics, like how a lot of other relics interact (draw relics like bag of prep and pyramid vs warped tongs, etc.). ideal would probably be torii, then rod.

Is that true? I'd never thought relic pickup order mattered, so much as the effects they had triggering in a fixed order. Like how Orichalcum and Steel Wire or Metalicize work?

edited September 2019
    Is that true? I'd never thought relic pickup order mattered, so much as the effects they had triggering in a fixed order. Like how Orichalcum and Steel Wire or Metalicize work?

it does. its really noticeable with snecko eye and card draw relics actually. however it isn't out of the question mega crit could change how tungston/torii interact explicitly to make them order neutral, generally relic effects are applied left to right depending on their interactions/timing. however stuff like magic flower are always on effects, as another example. it all depends on what the relic does

edit: actually they may have changed the warped tongs interaction with starting hand. I'm watching a jorbs vid on the patch just before watcher, and it looks like bag of prep fires, then warped tongs, even though he has warped tongs first. however I haven't seen it hit a card in the bag of prep draw so I don't know for sure.

Naphtali on

They got weaker for their initial cast, and lost access to Truth/Wisdom respectively. But Smite got more powerful.

Not sure about Safety. They're still v strong, just lost some of the flexibility they had, which I liked - the choice was interesting, though I have a feeling the card draw was generally the right choice? Hard to say. Hopefully we get them back, maybe with the card draw dropped to cantrip levels, rather than draw 2

edited September 2019

They got weaker for their initial cast, and lost access to Truth/Wisdom respectively. But Smite got more powerful.

Not sure about Safety. They're still v strong, just lost some of the flexibility they had, which I liked - the choice was interesting, though I have a feeling the card draw was generally the right choice? Hard to say. Hopefully we get them back, maybe with the card draw dropped to cantrip levels, rather than draw 2

Oof. I usually used the smite/safety, but the flexibility was fantastic and saved my bacon a few times.

Probably too strong to have access to retained card draw and block/damage, though. Especially with the retain cost drop power.

Evil Multifarious on
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    These changes to stance cards are exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for. I expect the class will feel way better now, especially with the block on Vigilance.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

I think if white elephant stayed as it was but added an extra potion slot, it would've been very pickable as a boss relic

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    I guess I'm going to have to come around to managing potion selections at some stage. I'm at A7/A6/A6 right now and I've really rarely taken the elephant because I never want to place a bet on a potion being able to help. I almost never buy potions from vendors, and I'll often take the energy-but-no-more-potions artifact when given the opportunity.

I just find potions too unpredictable to want to rely on them, so if I can place a solid bet with a guaranteed return in another case I will.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I guess I'm going to have to come around to managing potion selections at some stage. I'm at A7/A6/A6 right now and I've really rarely taken the elephant because I never want to place a bet on a potion being able to help. I almost never buy potions from vendors, and I'll often take the energy-but-no-more-potions artifact when given the opportunity.

I just find potions too unpredictable to want to rely on them, so if I can place a solid bet with a guaranteed return in another case I will.

I mean, those are pretty reasonable stances. Potions are good, but they aren't game-breaking. Sozu (1 energy, can't pick up more potions) was a great Relic! 1 Energy is enormous!

I've taken White Elephant before, but only when my other options were "eh". White Elephant is at least pretty predictable, guaranteed value.

And I also rarely ever buy potions from shops.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Stupid new Ink Bottle is screwing up all my scrys with the watcher.

That's what I get for never paying any attention to the pen nib/nunchuck type relics.

I mean, those are pretty reasonable stances. Potions are good, but they aren't game-breaking. Sozu (1 energy, can't pick up more potions) was a great Relic! 1 Energy is enormous!

I've taken White Elephant before, but only when my other options were "eh". White Elephant is at least pretty predictable, guaranteed value.

And I also rarely ever buy potions from shops.

I think I've only ever bought the ghost/fruit/Regen potions when I'm low on health. Also blood potion, for ironclad

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    If you're on say, the act 4 shop. Buying a strength pot is basically like buying a +2 str relic for very little gold considering how few fights are left.

Buying a potion comes down to looking at what you need to beat and deciding you can't with out some help.