As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Oxygen Not Included] Breath of Fresh Air! (DLC in Early Access)

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    Daimar wrote: »
    So what's the best way to air condition? Is it cool hydrogen with radiant pipes snaking through the base? How fast does such a system cool water vs air?

Water cooling with non radiant pipes works pretty good, bonus being you need to pipe water around anyway. Liquids are able to absorb a lot more heat than gas so if you run cool water through a hot area it will cool the air and only heat up a little bit while gas will have a much larger swing in temperature. Getting the water to a cool temperature can be power hungry if you can't get to an ice biome or luck out with a cool slush geyser.

Power hungry due to use of liquid aquatuners?

My assumption is the best answer to heat is the old tech heat deleter

Yes, the aquatuners are very power hungry and need the large power transformers to run, on my last run I only had it running part time due to that and my general laziness on getting decent power up and running. I haven't played around with the thermal nullifiers much but they don't seem to require a ton of hydrogen, just compared to the hydrogen power plants so it may take a while to zap a lot of gas through it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Daimar wrote: »
    So what's the best way to air condition? Is it cool hydrogen with radiant pipes snaking through the base? How fast does such a system cool water vs air?

Water cooling with non radiant pipes works pretty good, bonus being you need to pipe water around anyway. Liquids are able to absorb a lot more heat than gas so if you run cool water through a hot area it will cool the air and only heat up a little bit while gas will have a much larger swing in temperature. Getting the water to a cool temperature can be power hungry if you can't get to an ice biome or luck out with a cool slush geyser.

Power hungry due to use of liquid aquatuners?

My assumption is the best answer to heat is the old tech heat deleter

They changed how heat output works. IIRC if the temp of what goes in is higher than what normally goes out, the output temp is now what went in + a set increase rather than change it to the normal amount.

Plus heat can be a much more immediate problem depending on the map you get. The two most challenging starts already begin too hot to grow anything.

So now heat deletion requires actually shunting the heat to something that is supposed to remove heat, rather than running through something nearby after raising it's temp over the output temp. Steam Turbine + aquatuner is the preferred method because of how quickly it works (and with the proper setup, just shy of power-neutral) but you can also use use Ice Makers (which is more of a shunting but does have a little bit of heat deletion) and find wheeseworts or the anti-entrophy device, or just shoot it all into space. You can also use Hydrogen generators, which have no output other than power or heat, and might have to for a while on maps with no slime biome (and therefore no gold amalgam to build pumps and aquatuners that would get damaged at the temps needed to run a turbine)

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    For cooling my base, I just have ice makers with auto sweepers to empty them. The ice takes a litte detour to cool the surrounding area before being dumped in my fresh water tank which is then pumped to my two farms purposely built on the far side of my base. Requires a little bit of duplicant labour.

But most of my old heat deleting methods have been removed (which is fair enough, they were a bit hacky). Does the temp the water goes into an electrolyzer matter now like with water filters?

And what do you guys prefer for heavy duty liquid cooling, crude oil or petroleum?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Mortious wrote: »
    But most of my old heat deleting methods have been removed (which is fair enough, they were a bit hacky). Does the temp the water goes into an electrolyzer matter now like with water filters?

Apparently if you feed hot water into the electrolyzers you straight up delete a lot of heat, and opposite to that, if you feed cold water in you are creating heat. According to the wiki all the hydrogen and oxygen that are produced by the electrolyzers comes out at 70 degrees and if the water is above 20 degrees you delete heat because the game doesn't quite model thermodynamics accurately when you switch from a liquid to a gas.
    Wiki wrote:
    Consider cooling water as little as possible or even dump some heat into it before delivering into Electrolyzer. The input kilogram of water is more heat-dense than output kilogram of gasses, which is convenient, as it makes gasses easier to cool down afterwards.

But it gets better – 1 kg mix of oxygen and hydrogen at 70 °C carries as much heat as 1 kg of water at 19.45 °C, which means that with 19.75 °C input the electrolyzer starts destroying heat and becomes net heat negative. It will destroy 4.179 kDTU (1kg * the specific heat of water) per every degree above that, until reaching 70 °C where the outputs also begin to rise in temperature and the efficiency drops to around 3kDTUs/degree. With near-boiling 96 °C water it will stack up to 288 kDTU/s in absolute numbers, which is comparable to 3.6 AETNs.

Note, that Electrolyzer will not process water and release steam into the environment if the intake is too hot.

As a corollary, feeding water colder than 19.8 °C will create heat.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Hmm. So because I get my electrolyser water from a water geyser, it's sitting at around 90ºC.

Probably still easier to just cool the O2 output than that entire tank of water.

How does the water temp interact with oil wells? I have never really touched them before since the default terra map has so much free standing oil. This map, not so much.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Brothgar had a video about a month ago talking about an arbor tree power setup and one of the other apparatus in there was about an electrolyzer setup.

He used some cool liquid in radiant piping inside a granite floor with radiant air vents.
    Air came entered 70c, it was coming out 14c in the space of like 10 to 15 tiles

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I gotta say, I feel like temperature mechanics are the hardest thing to wrap your head around. I'm still struggling to understand them and how to use them. It dosent help that as i understand it somethings delete heat (AETNs, Wheezeworts, Steam turbines, and otherwise heat just... moves around? I'm not sure!

Meanwhile, in comedy news: My current game has Large Glaciers in it. two of them spawned overlapping the oilbiome, so there's one hell of a mess down there now. One hell of a mess that's having steam bubbles travel through it, which is great!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Seems like an awful lot of work to do what an Electrolyzer already does ?

I would have said the same thing a few playthroughs ago, but after having to deal with the logistics of getting electrolyzers working efficiently without filling your base with hot air or hydrogen, the hot vent sounds like a much better long-term solution :P

I got a hot polluted oxygen vent but it outputs at 500ºC so I really don't know what to do with it except have it closed off in the meantime.

I just vent mine into a large insulated room full of pufts. (with some polluted water at the bottom to catch the drops). It cools down some during downtimes on the vent. Then I restricted anyone going in there without an atmo suit.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    How do you command dupes to grab water from a pump and then dump it into a bottle emptier?

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    How do you command dupes to grab water from a pump and then dump it into a bottle emptier?

Set the bottle emptier to "Enable Autobottling"

• Options
    edited September 2019
    I gotta say, I feel like temperature mechanics are the hardest thing to wrap your head around. I'm still struggling to understand them and how to use them. It dosent help that as i understand it somethings delete heat (AETNs, Wheezeworts, Steam turbines, and otherwise heat just... moves around? I'm not sure!

Meanwhile, in comedy news: My current game has Large Glaciers in it. two of them spawned overlapping the oilbiome, so there's one hell of a mess down there now. One hell of a mess that's having steam bubbles travel through it, which is great!

So, this might all be Dunning-Kruger, but basically there are 5 types of heat management tools; things that insulate from heat, things that radiate heat, things that equalize heat, things that shunt heat, and things that delete heat.

Things that insulate are objects that slow down the rate of heat transfer. Ideally they are made with things that have a lowthermal transfer rate and a high thermal capacity. High mass per tile also makes things more insulating by virtue of there being more stuff to heat up. IIRC all "insulated X" things you can make have an extra boost to their ability to insulate on top of the normal properties of whatever they are made of, so a Sandstone insulated tile will work at slowing heat transfer vs. regular tiles by a factor that can't simply be explained by the fact there is 4x as much sandstone in the tile, though an ingenious rock or ceramic insulated tile would obviously be much better.

Things that radiate help absorb or expel heat in the area. They ideally have a high transfer rate and a low thermal capacity. Radiant pipes and vents are usually used in the absorb fashion, especially pipes, running something through a hot area to absorb the heat and carry it to somewhere that it can be shunted and/or deleted. Though obviously if you have a AED you can probably do just fine running radiant around them to expel heat to get deleted. Also, if you are doing something like a radiant cooling loop, you can probably get away with just regular pipes or vents made from something with a high transfer rate. Might actually be preferred if the hottest part of the line is still a distance away from where the aquatuner is. Metal and glass tiles can be used as radiators as well, since the materials you can make them out of typically highly conductive with a very low heat capacity.

Things that equalize heat are usually things that are stuck in the environment to try and get everything to go hot or cold as evenly as possible. This basically means tempshift plates, which on top of their large mass per tile are considered larger than they actually are (which does a couple of things to the heat calculations, including IIRC means it's technically touching more tiles than just the one in front of it.) Reservoirs also do this for liquids and gases; anything that goes in is immediately equalized in temp and germ ratio to what is already in there. This is most useful for automation that uses temp-based triggers, since the equalized temp makes the issue of constantly "flipping" switches less likely without having to use buffer or filter gates (for example, no need to set a ridiculously low temp + buffer for the water cooled by an AED to make sure all the water in the system gets cold enough if the circuit the pipes are flowing through includes a liquid reservoir, as it will make sure all the liquid drops in temp at the same rate until nearly all of it is at the temp you want it at.)

Things that shunt heat use electricity to take the heat out of what is in them and expel it into the environment. This includes the aquatuner, the gas equivalent that I can't recall the name of, and the ice maker. It's worth noting that each of these technically shunt (most of?) the heat into themselves, which then follows normal rules to being transferred into the environment, so you want to make sure said environment is well adapted to absorbing the amount of heat that is getting shunted, or they will fry themselves in fairly short order (especially the aquatuner, always want at least a little bit of liquid in the chamber it's sitting in, even if you aren't using a steam turbine as the heat deleter)

Then you have the deleters. On top of wheeseworts, turbines and the AED, Ice makers delete a tiny bit of heat rather than just shunting it. Also, anything that destroys the substance entirely without any substance as an output will effectively delete heat, like the Hydrogen Generator or exposing it to the vacuum of space. Lastly, as mentioned above, anything that converts the input into a less stable form of matter can potentially delete heat by virtue of the output having a lower heat capacity, but most cooling systems are prized for being relatively closed systems, so that's arguably more of a trick to keep things from getting hot too quickly rather than a long-term solution to your heating problems.

Beyond that... pipes and vents are always considered to be touching everything on the tile they are on, but whatever is inside them is only considered to be touching the pipe or vent. Objects in storage are normally considered to be in contact with the outside world, said container are in and each other, but as far as I can tell objects stored in machinery (and weirdly reservoirs) are not, at least for heat. This used to include planter boxes and farm tiles, but recent experience with cold biome farming makes me suspect that this is no longer entirely the case (unless someone has a better explanation why nosh beans would regularly get too hot in a -22C environment when nothing is being piped in.)

And that's pretty much the end of my knowledge on heating and cooling.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Converting ethanol between a liquid and gas state apparently deletes a lot of heat because of the difference in thermal properties between the two.

So you can setup a relatively small and effiecient cooling loop, with the caveat being that you can't cool things hotter than the condensation point of ethanol, which is around 78ºC.

My internal base cooling is based around ice makers, they delete quite a bit of heat for their requirements and are easy to setup early game, and become a lot more efficient once you have auto sweepers.

My external base cooling is 2xSteam Turbines/3xAquatuners. What I really like about this setup is that with thermal sensors I can actually set and forget the temp to what I want to cool to. The ice maker system requires a bit of oversight to ensure you don't end up freezing your water supply.

I think this is the seed I'm currently playing on: Verdante - LUSH-A-772670642-0.

It has a steam and salt water vent a little ways above your starting location, and two iron volcanos, a water geyser, a natural gas geyser, and several oil wells just to your right. Everything you'd ever need all really close together.

And all generating a lot of heat.

Also I am starting to suspect there are no cold biomes (and therefore no wheezeworts or nullifiers) on this map, so I am having to be more aggressive and creative in my cooling solutions.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    Yeah, Verdante doesn't have cold, barren or temperate biomes.

They've seemed to do a really good job of preserving mass when changing states but the temperature differences when changing states gets fudged so there are opportunities to delete or pick up heat that way.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Okay, so I don't have a ton of the materials that are recommended to build a nicely enclosed SPOM, but I'm fine with a little inefficiency. I've got 12 dupes to keep breathing (actually more like 10 by oxygen usage, counting up the miners lungs), so I'm thinking two electrolyzers fed from the cool steam vent I found. That should put me ahead on oxygen so I'm good to expand. For the moment, I just want to make sure I don't end up cooking my plants.

I've got a hydrogen catching setup at the top that I can feed to a generator or holding tank if needed, so a) where's the best place to put the electrolyzers, and b) what's the best way to cool them?

I've got three wheezeworts I can use, and a bunch of Ice I can mine and store in my clean water tank if needed (currently sitting at around 27°C) My question is where do I put them? Just around the electrolyzers? If I pump water behind them in radiant pipes, then past the electrolyzers, that'd cool the output down, right? Do I want to use tempshift plates?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I think you just want to pass the oxygen through radiant pipes near the wheezeworts. At least that’s what I have done. I believe if you enclose the area in hydrogen it increases the effectiveness but I can’t work out how to do that part without losing all the hydrogen since you need to fertilise the worts with phosphite now.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    I think you just want to pass the oxygen through radiant pipes near the wheezeworts. At least that’s what I have done. I believe if you enclose the area in hydrogen it increases the effectiveness but I can’t work out how to do that part without losing all the hydrogen since you need to fertilise the worts with phosphite now.

Water lock, or some way to deliver phosporite externally and have Autosweepers do it. Which, frankly, is a pain in the arse as you have to figure out automating htings such that only the requsite 4kg of Phosphorite gets delivered per day, and i havent figured out a good way to do that yet.

• Options
    Another 'why doesn't this work the way it does in my head' question:
    I've tried setting up a HECSP (Humane Extraneous Critter Slaughter Pit):
    5gsfe8rv1jjb.jpg
    It's not pretty and automated (and I don't have enough spare critters to worry about that at the moment), but I wanted a proof of concept.
    The kill room is easy enough (put them in, lock the door, drown them, free meat), but getting them in there is being more difficult that I thought.
    The idea is that the ranch is set to 8 critters and auto-wrangle the overflow, but as I understand it, that's going to remove any newcomers first. I'd rather get rid of some of my older ones, so I set the kill drop-off to take hatches at a higher priority, then wrangle the hatches I want rid of.
    The problem is, my dupes just pick them up and put them back in the same room. Is there a way to force them to take them to the kill room short of messing around with the max-critter settings to make them surplus, then change them back afterwards?

• Options
    KafkaAU wrote: »

Water lock, or some way to deliver phosporite externally and have Autosweepers do it. Which, frankly, is a pain in the arse as you have to figure out automating htings such that only the requsite 4kg of Phosphorite gets delivered per day, and i havent figured out a good way to do that yet.

Maybe have the Conveyor Loader and Autosweeper set to be active at different times of day? I don't think the Loader being disabled/without power will prevent things getting loaded into it, so you can have the autosweeper set to activate for 1% of the day and then the Loader to activate for the very next 1%.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Another 'why doesn't this work the way it does in my head' question:
    I've tried setting up a HECSP (Humane Extraneous Critter Slaughter Pit):
    5gsfe8rv1jjb.jpg
    It's not pretty and automated (and I don't have enough spare critters to worry about that at the moment), but I wanted a proof of concept.
    The kill room is easy enough (put them in, lock the door, drown them, free meat), but getting them in there is being more difficult that I thought.
    The idea is that the ranch is set to 8 critters and auto-wrangle the overflow, but as I understand it, that's going to remove any newcomers first. I'd rather get rid of some of my older ones, so I set the kill drop-off to take hatches at a higher priority, then wrangle the hatches I want rid of.
    The problem is, my dupes just pick them up and put them back in the same room. Is there a way to force them to take them to the kill room short of messing around with the max-critter settings to make them surplus, then change them back afterwards?

Honestly, you're much better off just letting the kill room "process" any excess critters without worrying about age - I have an automated Incubator setup i use that is very power-friendly, and my rule of thumb is 1 incubator per type of critter. All excess hatchings from the incubators are delivered to the the kill room entry (Mine's etnirely autmaoted and drowns any critter that walks in). For extra efficeny, all eggs are also automatically swept and delivered to the kill room entry, where they can hatch (And die once they're adorable and delicious) in peace.

Here's screenshots of my ranches in my current game + the conveyor overlays for them.
    A12EC51266AE5403B6D70DD2C24D33910FF8C8AD5F3A8A1E66761AE9ACB597B6FB64CF9E3865C30E

It's a pretty simple settup - every single thing that the ranches output (Eggs, critter shit, lumber from the plants, excess food from the mealwood...) is shipped and dumped in a C02 filled kitcen food storage room. Eggs are then sucked up and dropped into the kill room entry. Meat from the kill room is automatically sent straight to the kitchen. It's not visible in this screenshot, but my water tank is doubling as a passive pacu farm - Likewise, it's currently shipping any pacu fillets into the kitchen (As well as egg shells). Eventually i'll build a second Pacu tank, and have it ship pacu eggs there to boost my output, but that's a long term plan for when i'm feeding my dupes Surf'n'Turf. Really not important right now

Hopefully that helps!

• Options
    edited September 2019
    See, those screenshots gave me anxiety. There's just too much I don't know how to do yet.
    I'm sure I'll get to that level eventually, but right now I'm just trying the principles of things out to see what works. I haven't even looked at conveyors yet.

edit Ahhhhhh:
    c65iajpnrrd1.jpg
    This looks like the kind of thing I really don't want to uncover? I imagine this would add to my heat management concerns. Is here a benefit to not walling this thing up and leaving it alone?

Dammit, I'm just trying to find some oil somewhere, plastics sound like they'd be really useful for building stuff, and I want to make one of these three liquid airlocks I've heard so much about.

klemming on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    @The Zombie Penguin I assume thats drywall on your walls? Do you need a mod to make it colored?

• Options
    See, those screenshots gave me anxiety. There's just too much I don't know how to do yet.
    I'm sure I'll get to that level eventually, but right now I'm just trying the principles of things out to see what works. I haven't even looked at conveyors yet.

edit Ahhhhhh:
    c65iajpnrrd1.jpg
    This looks like the kind of thing I really don't want to uncover? I imagine this would add to my heat management concerns. Is here a benefit to not walling this thing up and leaving it alone?

Dammit, I'm just trying to find some oil somewhere, plastics sound like they'd be really useful for building stuff, and I want to make one of these three liquid airlocks I've heard so much about.

Once you have some plastic and can make a steam turbine, volcanoes can be made into a source of free power.

Surround the volcano in double-stacked insulated tiles (want to say ceramic is good enough, but considering this is a mid-late game project you'll probably just want to wait until you can make insulation out of abyssite) with metal tiles on top (ideally made with a metal with a melting point above what the temp of the magma, though you can get away with something just under that IF you make sure the turbine never stops running during eruption periods.) Pour about 1000kg of water on the metal tiles, enclose it, pump out all the air (or have a pocket that any air inside can be compressed into so it doesn't block the steam,) and put the steam turbine on top. With volcano temps the Turbine itself will probably need to be cooled as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Where should I be looking for oil? I'm guessing down, and I'm working on ways to get past the mountain of slimelung in the way.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    If you're playing on the basic Terra map then, yes, Oil is always down. Just keeping on digging downwards, you will find it.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Bedlam wrote: »
    @The Zombie Penguin I assume thats drywall on your walls? Do you need a mod to make it colored?

It's actually the Wallpaper mod, which is just delightful. You can find it here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1717534457

It provides a very minor decor boost (1 tile range, 5 decor), but the main thing is it comes in a bunch of colours, and visually "Hides" pipes & wires. It does not actually hide the decor penalty for these, nor does it act like Drywall and stop your stuff from being vented out into space. It does however make your bases look hella nice:
    7E120F3DB73857EDBFD6FA3B242912A23B3B7C8D

@klemming I'm sorry! But dont stress! Shipping is well worth looking into, and is simpler than you'd expect.

Shipping needs: a way to load things onto the conyveor belt. I'm using Conyveor loaders (They act just like storage bins, except you can stick them airborne and they dont hold much), with autosweepers in range to pick up stuff and deposit it into them. It also needs a way to drop stuff off - I'm using Conyveor chutes, which act just like Liquid vents or the ilk do: dump the contents right back into the world. You do need a dupe to have the Mechantronics skill to be able to build these mind. They also take power, but they only use power when they're active, so it's fine to build a "Big" network off a single transformer - the chances it'll overload are very, very low.

Once you get the hang of it, it's such a massive efficiency boost for ranching it's not funny. The biggest thing is that it complete eliminates the "Crowded" debuff issues - When your critters lay eggs, if the egg hatching would over crowd the ranch (and each critter needs 8 tiles of space in the ranch, so a 64 tile ranch can only hold 8 critters), their egg laying rate drops very dramatically. And it just takes dupes TIME to clear out eggs. So having autosweepers and conveyor loaders set to accept eggs means you can keep your ranches happily burping out eggs at the maximum rate.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    You can also use them help gather resources. One thing I usually do when I reach the Oil biome is build a conveyor up to my base with the loader inside past the suit checkpoint, set to dupe accessible and sweep only. Then as I'm digging up lead (which is excellent for upgrading your non-industrial wiring to conductive wires, since it's refined and you get tons of it) I can mark it for sweeping and the dupes will place it on the loader and it will get shipped to the base where anyone building can use it without having to travel forever and take up an atmo suit to get it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Foefaller wrote: »
    You can also use them help gather resources. One thing I usually do when I reach the Oil biome is build a conveyor up to my base with the loader inside past the suit checkpoint, set to dupe accessible and sweep only. Then as I'm digging up lead (which is excellent for upgrading your non-industrial wiring to conductive wires, since it's refined and you get tons of it) I can mark it for sweeping and the dupes will place it on the loader and it will get shipped to the base where anyone building can use it without having to travel forever and take up an atmo suit to get it.

Speaking of the oil biome:

I've got a real interesting task on my hands.
    200125A7D0CBBE7FB8AC47E77E0D39DE2BCA17AE

(For anyone wondering WTF happened: Two large glaciers spawned overlapping the oil biome... and things went to shit as a result.)

Thankfully i think the rest of my base is finally stable enough i can recruit a few more dupes (i'm up to 12, and i should easily be able to handle at leas 4 more... though past that i'll need to upgrade to a second set of toilets, i dont think 2 toilets per shift of 4+ will cut it). Form there... uh well, i really need to set up some steam-turbine cooling ,and i need crude oil for that, so this is going to be Awesome TM. I love/hate this game <3

Honestly, once the flooding below my base subsides a bit more, i'll probably seal up the holes into the oil biome, and eventually create a proper access. May even resort to creating some sort of crazy steam turbine power for the base, i mean i'd only need to drive a diamond spike into the magma zone, that cannot possibly go wrong, right?

• Options
    edited September 2019
    If you are just looking for an excuse to get rid of all that water, I'd look at making an oil well.

Something more ambitious might be farming. IIRC the best food in terms of morale are burgers, which I believe take sleet wheat (I'm assuming glaciers are like Ice biomes and contain all the things ice biomes normally have, if not wild then at least as something that could be dug up), lettuce and meat. From previous posts it sounds like you already have a robust meat production process, so that's taken care of. The hard part about sleet wheat is keeping everything at the right temp (including anything you put in them), otherwise it's just dirt and water and you obviously have an abundance of those. Hardest is arguably the lettuce. You have a reliable source of salt water with the geyser, but IIRC the only replenishable method for getting more bleach stone is Pufts, and they are arguably the hardest critter to ranch, even with automation.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    How do you manage your dupes taking a suit from one dock and returning it to another dock which has no space and just dropping it on the ground?

I’ve got it set up so that the dupes can run all around the base, and only in/out through one dock but it can take ages for them to get back if they are far away.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    On the atmo suit checkpoint, there's a setting that's like "No Vacancy/Always" that sets it whether to allow them to exit if there's no space to put the suit.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I'm guessing conveyors can't carry suits around?

(I know I'm exposing my ignorance with all these questions, but I'm only getting through this very slowly (like ten cycles a day before I quit out and go play Gears or something where I don't have to do all this annoying thinking). I'm literally just now learning how to manage heavy-watt wires and transformers.

klemming on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I'm guessing conveyors can't carry suits around?

(I know I'm exposing my ignorance with all these questions, but I'm only getting through this very slowly (like ten cycles a day before I quit out and go play Gears or something where I don't have to do all this annoying thinking). I'm literally just now learning how to manage heavy-watt wires and transformers.

I.. actually dont know! I think they should be able to. Also, dude! Dont worry about appearing igorant. We're here to have fun and enjoy the game, and sharing knowledge is part of that yeah? You're doing fine! This game is crazy tough to learn

Meanwhile, excessive pipe spagehtti nearly subjected my base to an oxygen disaster. I turned on the Oxygen overlay to try and figure out why my mealwood kept complaining about atmosphere.

Imagine my expression when my entire base was labled as "Barely breathable". Thank god for Diver's lungs, huh? Turns out the way my spom had been directing oxygen was uh... causing a few issues. This has since been rectified

Things have been recovered.

Also i gold plated my base, because why not. By which i mean nearly every walkable tile and anywhere that dosent need to be insulated is Gold Metal Tiles. The decor! the decor! Also the help moving heat around my base, keeping things from getting too toasty, as i still haven't setup any true cooling system. Instead i'm just shipping -30 degree oxygen into my base... which is still a pretty balmy 20-40 degrees depending on where you are.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    So, my first attempt at the second hardest asteroid type (which starts already too warm for mealwood, outside of a small and quick to disappear bubble around the printing pod) ended in starvation; took too long getting pip ranches up and used up all my potable water on mush fries to close the gap.

Second was ended immediately when the seed I rolled had no pips in the starting biome whatsoever.

So now it's the third, and so far it's doing rather well. Still having to make the occasional batch of mush fries to feed the 8 dupes I have, but I was able to rush for Ice makers while waiting for one of my starting dupes to unlock ranching and kept about 5 meal wood cool enough to extend the water I had until I found a slime biome for more water, and some mushrooms that are just fine with the warm temp my base is at. If my napkin math is right, should only need a few more of either them or pips and I should be food-secure and ready to increase my base pop. Probably start with a dedicated farmer to harvest the shrooms and trees, and a second rancher so I can expand to other critters.

Also made it to the oil (which was right below a second forest biome...) This map should have a frozen core, so I'm going to going deeper eventually, but for now it's mining for lead and eventually making petroleum and plastic (which is going to big a bigger pain for me than normal, since my typical plan is to put my plastic manufacturing next the nearest AED with an auto sweeper so it can run pretty much forever as long as it gets petroleum, but I'm pretty sure this map type doesn't have natural cold biomes.) Then I can replace my hydrogen-based cooling system with a much more effective Steam Turbine.

Also, does anyone know if sulfur is used for anything? The rust biomes in this map type, rather than being cold with ethanol, are warm with salt water and that stuff (no natural plants either, but you can sometimes get lucky a dig up a nosh bean). I'm suspecting there isn't, on the basis that the stuff has the same exact thermodynamic properties regardless of it's state, but I'd be thrilled if that isn't the case.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Also, does anyone know if sulfur is used for anything? The rust biomes in this map type, rather than being cold with ethanol, are warm with salt water and that stuff (no natural plants either, but you can sometimes get lucky a dig up a nosh bean). I'm suspecting there isn't, on the basis that the stuff has the same exact thermodynamic properties regardless of it's state, but I'd be thrilled if that isn't the case.

AFAIK, It's not used for anything.

Meanwhile, i took your advice on popping oil wells. The whole bottom of this map is a disaster, but at least an interesting one. There were some rather impressive stored farts at points too. And at one point 3000 (Yes, thousand) kg of Sour Gas packed into one tile.

Still, i've got a stable 16 duplicant base up and running, circa cycle 371
    4CE106C4AEF202CD33011321682549F07D915174

16 seems to be about the right amount for this size of base - 3 rancher/farmers manging the ranches and arbor trees, 4 builders/diggers, 4 suppliers, 4 operators, and a chef/decorator. The entire base is being fed off Surf'n'Turf and BBQ, with Frost Burgers in reserve for particularly needy duplicants. And by in reserve i mean i have over 200k of Frost burgers, and over 300k of BBQ. i'm not even farming lettuce or grain actively, this is just passive collection from the map. (Though given Soul Food penalizes atheltics, i'm not keen to feed all my dupes it - it's mainly kept for the Operators who are also being trained to be astronauts)

Really need to expand and create a real industrial zone, and start doing stuff like converting the tons and tons and TONS of lumber i have into Ethanol. The game no longer shows me a T after the lumber number, i have that much built up. And you know. Actually install a steam turbine cooling thing.

Also, important thing i learned re decor: While you'll be shown a "max 120 decor" in an area, that's not actually importnat. Duplicants get a decor buff based off the AVERAGE decor they experienced across the day. So creating Decor-bombs in areas with high duplicant traffic can really pay off. Hence part of the reason Gold Metal tiles are so good, as they give stupid amounts of decor without eating up too much space.

• Options

Meanwhile, i took your advice on popping oil wells. The whole bottom of this map is a disaster, but at least an interesting one. There were some rather impressive stored farts at points too. And at one point 3000 (Yes, thousand) kg of Sour Gas packed into one tile.

16 seems to be about the right amount for this size of base - 3 rancher/farmers manging the ranches and arbor trees, 4 builders/diggers, 4 suppliers, 4 operators, and a chef/decorator. The entire base is being fed off Surf'n'Turf and BBQ, with Frost Burgers in reserve for particularly needy duplicants. And by in reserve i mean i have over 200k of Frost burgers, and over 300k of BBQ. i'm not even farming lettuce or grain actively, this is just passive collection from the map. (Though given Soul Food penalizes atheltics, i'm not keen to feed all my dupes it - it's mainly kept for the Operators who are also being trained to be astronauts)

Really need to expand and create a real industrial zone, and start doing stuff like converting the tons and tons and TONS of lumber i have into Ethanol. The game no longer shows me a T after the lumber number, i have that much built up. And you know. Actually install a steam turbine cooling thing.

Also, important thing i learned re decor: While you'll be shown a "max 120 decor" in an area, that's not actually importnat. Duplicants get a decor buff based off the AVERAGE decor they experienced across the day. So creating Decor-bombs in areas with high duplicant traffic can really pay off. Hence part of the reason Gold Metal tiles are so good, as they give stupid amounts of decor without eating up too much space.

Why don't your dupes have separate rooms? Once you have comfy beds you can used them to create bedrooms for a better morale bonus.

Granted, IIRC it's just one more morale, but it's one less that you have to earn by frost burgers and dealing with the soul food effect.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Why don't your dupes have separate rooms? Once you have comfy beds you can used them to create bedrooms for a better morale bonus.

Granted, IIRC it's just one more morale, but it's one less that you have to earn by frost burgers and dealing with the soul food effect.

Because you don't actually need to have seperate rooms to get the Bedroom morale bonus. Currently it just cares about they're being comfy beds in there, and a decor item. If/when that changes it'll be an easy fix.

.... Also my dupes have 40-50 morale, there doing fine. Nature reserve is crazy good, as is decor bombing them hard

• Options
    Does anyone know if it is possible to save the little video/slide show on the colony summary to a video or animated gif?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Finally got my first ever steam turbine cooling loop setup! Though i'm having trouble finding what the ideal ratio of water to prime the room is - the first time around i had way too much and my aquatuner promptly melted itself. Still! Yay! My base's temperature issues are back under control!

• Options
    Rule of thumb I've always heard is one tile's worth, so 1000kg?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So, I finally have enough materials to make a SPOM, based on this design:
    alrjbcyt2g6h.jpg
    I'm down one Wheezewort, but that should be okay, right?
    Only the Wheezewort description says they need Phosphorite, and I don't see how it's getting in there on that design. Is this an old version that wouldn't work anymore? Could I just add an airlock to that side to clear it up?
    (escaping hydrogen wouldn't be a problem, it'd just go to the top of the base and get pumped back to where I want it anyway)