As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What is your favorite sword?

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Sword of Omens
    I just want to say I am deeply upset at the lack of love for The Sword of Omens.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Narsil, all done broke
    Both of the phone ones have ended up having important information for post-KH3 stuff

It's terrible and wonderful

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Someday there will be a Kingdom Hearts: Complete package right? I want to eventually play all the games but it would involved owning like 5 different platforms.

They literally packaged up all the games that weren't mobile games before KH3 in one collection for PS4.

but some of the mobile ones are super important! (or did you mean phone)

Phone.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    other
    I don't mind the concept behind Key blades but some of the designs are AWFUL

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I don't mind the concept behind Key blades but some of the designs are AWFUL

Yeah they rule, dude

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    other
    Key blades cause like a stack underflow error in my brain where I hate fantasy swords but keyblades are so dumb the wrap back around to being rad.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Not one mention of the gladius or spatha?

It's like y'all don't want to conquer Europe, the Mediterranean, North Africa, and the Middle East.

I'm...I'm going to go sit down for a moment...

oh h*ck
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I dunno, a katana I guess
    The Mana Sword

The Master Sword

Durandal is also pretty cool because it hewed a mountain in twain

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    other
    For me, when you say legendary sword, there is only one thing that comes to mind.
    ALttP_Sacred_Grove_Artwork.png?version=4e227dcbe6c98fcfb1d9708a47de48f0
    Brolo wrote: »
    what do the wavy bits actually do? is it like a saw tooth kind of situation?

Mostly they show off that you had enough money to pay a blacksmith to do a bunch of extra work. There are arguments about cutting power, or about the waves making them obnoxious to parry because they'd rattle the other guy's sword sliding against it, but the one thing scholars seem to agree on is that it was an expensive hassle to make one, and therefore good as a status symbol.

They are also very difficult to do, so it was a good way for a blacksmith to wave their blacksmith epeen at people.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    other
    Solar wrote: »
    Those twisted three bladed stabbing daggers are often marketed as being like, Nazi paratrooper knives or whatever horseshit too. Like Wehraboos love that shit

...perfect. amazing. outsanding.

• Options
    Oh have you not heard Wehraboo before? I love it, it’s a perfect summation of those kinds of folks.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    other
    I have not, and I am also in love with it

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    other
    Platy wrote: »
    The Mana Sword

The Master Sword

Durandal is also pretty cool because it hewed a mountain in twain

Hewed one mountain? Caladbolg, the Rainbow Sword, weapon of Fergus mac Roich, blasted the tops off three!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    ALL-BLACK THE NECROSWORD, THE ANNIHILABLADE, THE SLICER OF W
    IF YOU LOVE IT SO MUCH WHY DON'T YOU MEHRRY IT

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Urumi, the wiggliest sword
    Madican wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    Peas wrote: »
    Getting killed by Gullwing is probably one of the most humilliating way you could go as a villain

Even worse is Sweet Memories.

Nothing would top Kingdom Key, just for the knowledge that you were so basic Sora didn't even bother using his best weapons

Sweet Memories has no stat increases over Kingdom Key, and also looks as silly as the the world it’s from.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Urumi, the wiggliest sword
    M
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    I just want to say I am deeply upset at the lack of love for The Sword of Omens.

Sight Beyond Sight is rad.

——————

On the subject of cool swords originating in 80s cartoons, I’ve lately been seeing a lot of She-Ra’s Sword of Protection. It’s a henshin artifact! It shape-shifts! It made a Pegasus that one time!

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    other
    Having done a lot of mock sword fights, I like the idea of 2-handers but holy shit they're a lot of work

The most practical and easy to use is essentially a Viking-esque* single-handed blade - sub-36" total, well balanced, handle exactly long enough to have a couple of viable grips while still remaining maneuverable, and a blade that gives about 2' of reach. This is the perfect blade for working around a shield (both your own and your opponent's) and also for not getting caught up on stuff. Anything less requires compromising on reach, and much more means you lose active defense and so need either more armor or way more practice

*edit: Good single handed swords have been around as long as swords have, in some form or another, but the Vikings definitely got the metallurgy right and their general design stuck around (with increasing modifications and specializations) as late as the 18th century in the form of heavy cavalry broadswords

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    When Unferth made amends with Beowulf and gave him an heirloom sword to fight Grendel’s mother, that would have been a good will Hrunting.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    other
    They have to make shamshirs in this episode of Forged In Fire

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    a light sabre
    Laser swords are obviously the coolest

But this thread hasn't show enough love for the Master Sword, the blade of evil's bane

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    other
    why do people keep talking about laser swords after picking a cavalry sword

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    a light sabre
    To be quite certain I am a weapons pervert myself I just have excellent taste and discretion

I've inherited several ridiculous blades since my stepdad passed, I usually end up taking them apart and re-purposing the blade for something else. For instance, this useless piece of shit ...

4d9c2e34-6f14-45a8-b8fb-d43ef0c0b776_1.236e454d323fb60a2dbf7c6a1c775d88.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

ended up becoming part of an ongoing project of mine. I have a pile of knife blades from various folders that have had the handles break or get dinged up or what-have-you; eventually, they will all be melted down into a machete and camping knife set, something reminiscent of a sensible mora-style blade, good for bushcraft and whatnot. Depending on how much steel I have to work with, I might see if I can have a couple chef's knives made, who knows.

I also have an absolutely ancient hunting knife that my grandfather gave to his father and has since passed to me in the intervening years; getting it melted down and reforged is a bit of a passion project for me since there's a lot of love in my family for it, but it's tang is nearly rusted through. Still trying to find the right antlers to remake the grip.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    ALL-BLACK THE NECROSWORD, THE ANNIHILABLADE, THE SLICER OF W
    Are you supposed to throw the batman knife? like a batarang? Is that why it has two blades? ... but it doesn't seem like it would fly all the well

but if it's a knife you hold in your hand, what's the second blade for? it seems uncomfortable to hold

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    other
    Are you supposed to throw the batman knife? like a batarang? Is that why it has two blades? ... but it doesn't seem like it would fly all the well

but if it's a knife you hold in your hand, what's the second blade for? it seems uncomfortable to hold

It's like when Darth Maul revealed that his lightsaber had two blades. Everybody's all "Oh shit that guy has a Batman Knife" but then a second later you awkwardly flip out the other one and they're like "Oh shit that guy has a Batman Knife that's actually TWO BATMAN KNIVES" and then you try to do some cool maneuver with it and accidentally slash yourself in the thigh, but you have the option to play it off cool like you meant to do that to show how crazy and fearless you are.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    a light sabre

It's purely decorative even though the edges are sharpened; it's like one of these fucking things ...

41EzM0XELFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

where trying to use it would be more likely to slice your own hands/arms into ribbons before you actually used it as any kind of functional tool. Don't get me wrong, I still own a milspec combat knife as well as a current generation bayonet. But I'm much more comfortable with a simple pocket folder than any of the tacticool nonsense you see people obsess over.

Like this thing:

61nDYFDjTIL._SX466_.jpg

one of my old roomies got a 2 for 1 deal at a gun show in DFW; I've played with it, it's amusing to stab some cardboard with it in the backyard, but I've only ever carried it out in public a couple of times, it's just too much of an aggressive style to carry around, it's not really practical. 99% of everyday knife usage is opening boxes, envelopes or cutting twine. When you need a blade bigger than your index finger, it's for a specific task and it should probably be kept in a toolbox, tacklebox or what have you.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    other
    99% of tacticool knives are worthless. Pocket knives are for piercing and slicing, and if they can't do that reliably then you may as well throw them out. For the vast majority of users, something like this is more than enough: https://www.opinel.com/en/tradition/stainless-steel/n6-stainless-steel

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I bought that dumb three-bladed Krull knife at a county fair when I was a teen.

It was as perfectly useless as you'd imagine. But it was fun to fidget with, because if you picked it up by one of the blades and flicked it just right, all the blades would extend and lock at the same time.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    a light sabre
    I love-love-love that I can go to Fry's, an electronics store, and buy a big old useless Rambo knife in the same aisle where they sell wire strippers and soldering irons.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I got into a hole of watching and reading gaming laptop reviews and stopped when reading the wirecutter's recommendation of an ASUS laptop. One of the minor cons was a sword unsheathing sound effect that would play every time you power on the laptop. Which can only be disabled through the BIOS boot menus.

• Options
    other
    Maybe most of your knife usage is cutting boxes and shit.

Mine is.. Much more involved.

• Options
    Yeah it'd be much better if it was a comedic boing sound effect or something

• Options
    Man, remember how long and dramatic the Windows XP boot noise was?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nQ2oiVqKHw

Nothing like booting up your clunky-ass laptop in the quiet reading room among dozens of silent students and realizing too late that you left your volume turned all the way up.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    other
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Man, remember how long and dramatic the Windows XP boot noise was?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nQ2oiVqKHw

Nothing like booting up your clunky-ass laptop in the quiet reading room among dozens of silent students and realizing too late that you left your volume turned all the way up.

Yeah that was a little too much. 95 had the best startup sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miZHa7ZC6Z0

And for the all-time WTF-est windows startup sound, we look to NT 5.0, with Microsoft's rip-off of the THX sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaskM97eN_s

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    ASUS didn’t go far enough, instead of on boot the sword sound should be wake from sleep every time you open the lid.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I got into a hole of watching and reading gaming laptop reviews and stopped when reading the wirecutter's recommendation of an ASUS laptop. One of the minor cons was a sword unsheathing sound effect that would play every time you power on the laptop. Which can only be disabled through the BIOS boot menus.

Extra dumb because that sound is a movie myth and swords don't actually do that.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    other
    All swords are good, personally I lean towards the tried and true longsword, or the venerable gladius as my favorite swords, as general kinds of sword go. Specific swords I'd have to think about it.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    I still think about Dak'kon's zerth blade a lot. A sword made of formless chaos that only has hardness and sharpness to the extent that the wielder *knows* and disciplines themself? That's some good sword-lore.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I dunno, a katana I guess
    My favorite sword is "sumptuous".

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Favourite s word is susserate

Or sandwich