As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Remote Play Together is here: The whole internet can be your co-op couch now

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Oh yes, quite. For me, the opportunity cost of EGS is much more than $10.
    But that just means I won't get things there either.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    If that BK dating game doesn't have flirtatious plays on words...
    "you look finger-licking good"
    "you are tastier than all 11 secret herbs and spices"

...well, I'll still play, but I'll be disappointed.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I hope they have the KFC space simulator from that Conmunity episode

https://youtu.be/CcjW6maPJko

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I keep meaning to watch that show - especially after that clip - but I'm so biased against Joel WhateverHisLastNameIs from when he was a HUGE di *record screech* ... such a huge goose on the game awards show a few years back that I've been unable to make myself.

vamen on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Last night on my phone, via the Steam Link app, with a Steam Controller, I played my free EGS copy of Inside.

So wrong, yet so right.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Yeah, don't let the mixed ratings on Greedfall fool you. For a certain kind of gamer, Greedfall is going to be your fucking jam. The RPG systems on offer here are excellent, the quest design is fantastic, the voice acting is very good. The writing so far has been mediocre and the actual combat system is sub-par. It has that jank that Spiders is well-known for, but this is far more polished than their previous games.

I dunno, I'm enjoying the heck out of it. I have opinions about whether or not using 17th century colonialism as the setting in your fantasy RPG is a good idea, but it still remains to be seen if they treat it respectfully. It could go very poorly or it could be fine.

Yeah, I came back to post further impressions. This game is the THING. It's like a Dragon Age Inquisition except they have respect for my time. Zero fetch quests, for instance. I find myself mildly annoyed that I can't do everything I want to (keep everyone happy, open every chest, access every nook and cranny) because they limit how you can build yourself out, which is a good thing, imo: that's what gives your decisions consequences. I would probably describe the combat as "like Witcher 3 with pause". It's a little... specific... but once I realized it's about dodging and using ALL of your abilities, rather than swinging blindly, it seemed to gel a bit.

The world they've created is really solid so far, and the characters have some of the old Bioware charm. The design elements do SUCH a good job of blending the "familiar" with the "exotic". Or maybe a better way to put it is "directions you've been" with "directions that surprise you". The native culture isn't "Native Americans with magic", the Bridge Alliance is more than "Middle Eastern technologists", the Teleme are more than "Catholics with magic". The environments are detailed, reward exploring, but not exhaustive. The very much give the feel of "exploring a new world" (and sometimes that's not super comfortable). Also, I think I adore that this isn't set in the standard medieval fantasy realm, it gives a nice new "coat of paint" to some very tired tropes.

Steam reviews have shifted to Very Positive and it's deserved, this game is what I've been looking for from Bioware/Larian and just not getting for whatever reason. Definitely worth a hard look if you're into those types of games.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Goddammit. :evil:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Anyone have any experience with these mayflash adapters?

Was planning to buy one for my PS4 so I can use my switch pad but I see they also work on PC.

Normally I would just use steam since they support everything but Epic Games Store sucks and have no such features. If I want to play Borderlands 3 tommorow with a controller (thats not an Xbox one), I need to find a decent controller mapping software to use my switch pad or get an adapter.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Is there a way to add the free DLC for something to my account without it opening the videogame each time? Or is it just that bad?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Oh good, Hunt Showdown is going to patch the weapon sway back in.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I finally started playing Yoku's Island Express the other day after getting it in a Humble Monthly and damn, it's fantastic. Someone managed to combine pinball with Metroid-style open world and made it work! Plus it looks and sounds great.

• Options
    QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    A friend recommended Yoku to me on Switch a few months ago and I agree, it's really good!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoublySymmetricDoublySymmetric Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with these mayflash adapters?

Was planning to buy one for my PS4 so I can use my switch pad but I see they also work on PC.

Normally I would just use steam since they support everything but Epic Games Store sucks and have no such features. If I want to play Borderlands 3 tommorow with a controller (thats not an Xbox one), I need to find a decent controller mapping software to use my switch pad or get an adapter.

Not the same scenario, but I bought the mayflash adapter for the Wii U pro controller for use with my PC. It worked well, just need to sync the controller to the adapter, and you're in. Not sure what hoops (or not) you have to go through for a switch controller.

Steam - DoublySymmetric (43687993)
    Blizz ID - DoublySymm#1758
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Fuck, I want that.

<shut up and take my money.gif>

• Options
    Massena wrote: »
    Yeah, don't let the mixed ratings on Greedfall fool you. For a certain kind of gamer, Greedfall is going to be your fucking jam. The RPG systems on offer here are excellent, the quest design is fantastic, the voice acting is very good. The writing so far has been mediocre and the actual combat system is sub-par. It has that jank that Spiders is well-known for, but this is far more polished than their previous games.

I dunno, I'm enjoying the heck out of it. I have opinions about whether or not using 17th century colonialism as the setting in your fantasy RPG is a good idea, but it still remains to be seen if they treat it respectfully. It could go very poorly or it could be fine.

Yeah, I came back to post further impressions. This game is the THING. It's like a Dragon Age Inquisition except they have respect for my time. Zero fetch quests, for instance. I find myself mildly annoyed that I can't do everything I want to (keep everyone happy, open every chest, access every nook and cranny) because they limit how you can build yourself out, which is a good thing, imo: that's what gives your decisions consequences. I would probably describe the combat as "like Witcher 3 with pause". It's a little... specific... but once I realized it's about dodging and using ALL of your abilities, rather than swinging blindly, it seemed to gel a bit.

The world they've created is really solid so far, and the characters have some of the old Bioware charm. The design elements do SUCH a good job of blending the "familiar" with the "exotic". Or maybe a better way to put it is "directions you've been" with "directions that surprise you". The native culture isn't "Native Americans with magic", the Bridge Alliance is more than "Middle Eastern technologists", the Teleme are more than "Catholics with magic". The environments are detailed, reward exploring, but not exhaustive. The very much give the feel of "exploring a new world" (and sometimes that's not super comfortable). Also, I think I adore that this isn't set in the standard medieval fantasy realm, it gives a nice new "coat of paint" to some very tired tropes.

Steam reviews have shifted to Very Positive and it's deserved, this game is what I've been looking for from Bioware/Larian and just not getting for whatever reason. Definitely worth a hard look if you're into those types of games.

I concur with pretty much everything said in both of these posts.

I've got a bit of time into this (level 16, if I recall right) and my initial impression of "it's like a deformed love-child of Dragon Age 3 and Vampyr" still feels accurate. I think it's going to turn into one of those janky games that I end up loving despite the flaws.
    And I have to say that I absolutely adore the skill/talent/attribute system. I am always SO TORN when I get one of those rare talent points.
    I REALLY want to be able to scale walls...but I also want to get that sweet, sweet crafting material when I break down objects.
    ...but I also want to pick locks!
    BUT I ALSO WANT TO BE ABLE TO BLOW UP WALLS WITH ALCHEMY.

I spend as long picking skills as Pixie does making a character.

• Options
    vamen wrote: »

I've got a bit of time into this (level 16, if I recall right) and my initial impression of "it's like a deformed love-child of Dragon Age 3 and Vampyr" still feels accurate. I think it's going to turn into one of those janky games that I end up loving despite the flaws.
    And I have to say that I absolutely adore the skill/talent/attribute system. I am always SO TORN when I get one of those rare talent points.
    I REALLY want to be able to scale walls...but I also want to get that sweet, sweet crafting material when I break down objects.

I'm not sure this is a selling point.

On the other hand, today is payday and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna finally buy this tonight.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Reminder: 2 copies, ends September 12th at 6pm cst.

signature.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    How my attempts at nonviolent roleplaying tends to work in games.

NPC: *being very evil to person I'm trying to help*
    Me: I implore you to reconsider.
    NPC: *declares they are going to do something heinous and there's nothing I can do about it*
    Me: So it's treason then. *incredible violence*

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    How my attempts at nonviolent roleplaying tends to work in games.

NPC: *being very evil to person I'm trying to help*
    Me: I implore you to reconsider.
    NPC: *declares they are going to do something heinous and there's nothing I can do about it*
    Me: So it's treason then. *incredible violence*

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=baEch3bH0to

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I will never forgive I am alive for its broken non violence promise.

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular

I learned last night that you CAN blow up walls with alchemy and you don't need to take the skill point, you can use alchemical elemental formulas (or whatever that one is called). Like a potion or grenade, basically. Granted, you have to buy them if you haven't put the points in to craft them, but still.....

I'm just wondering how much legendary gear I'm missing because I'm not picking every locked thing I find, but I like being able to persuade people too damn much to change.

• Options

I learned last night that you CAN blow up walls with alchemy and you don't need to take the skill point, you can use alchemical elemental formulas (or whatever that one is called). Like a potion or grenade, basically. Granted, you have to buy them if you haven't put the points in to craft them, but still.....

I'm just wondering how much legendary gear I'm missing because I'm not picking every locked thing I find, but I like being able to persuade people too damn much to change.

I don't understand this play style.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I want my character to be a smooth talking wizard, so in Greedfall I basically have to ignore the following things:
    • Crafting
    • Blowing up walls
    • Scaling walls
    • Making potions
    • Lockpicking
    • Wearing heavy armour

But in return, I get to avoid a lot of combat situations by talking my way out of them and I get extra dialogue options and everything is cheaper in shops. But I am heavily specialized in that. I am not useless in combat, but I am not a front line fighter.

Your party members can make up for some of this, and gear can help fill the gaps as well, but in general, you have to give up a lot to be extremely good at one thing. Exactly like an RPG should be!

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I want my character to be a smooth talking wizard, so in Greedfall I basically have to ignore the following things:
    • Crafting
    • Blowing up walls
    • Scaling walls
    • Making potions
    • Lockpicking
    • Wearing heavy armour

But in return, I get to avoid a lot of combat situations by talking my way out of them and I get extra dialogue options and everything is cheaper in shops. But I am heavily specialized in that. I am not useless in combat, but I am not a front line fighter.

Your party members can make up for some of this, and gear can help fill the gaps as well, but in general, you have to give up a lot to be extremely good at one thing. Exactly like an RPG should be!

Reminds me of my last few fallout 2 characters. Aside from 1 specific combat skill, Vic and the robot handled everything else. Then combat was various amounts of sledgehammer and gunfire till everything and everyone stopped moving.

• Options

I don't understand this play style.

It's very uncomfortable.
    I would say that lockpicking 1 is probably the most skill in the first zone if you want to get it out of the gate.
    After that, I have run into a good variety of all skill types.

Also, good to know about those formulas, Massena. I already took science but I would have taken it anyway so I guess it's fine =).

• Options
    Lockpicking is one of the first skills I get in any game because the concept of chests and rooms I can't open is a personal affront to me

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Lockpicking is one of the first skills I get in any game because the concept of chests and rooms I can't open is a personal affront to me
    Regardless of what alignment I am in RPGs, I'll always steal like my life depends on it in the first playthrough of a game that gives you the option.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So wait, GreedFall actually does the "Talk your way out of fights" thing that this recent GMTK video talked about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9TzqNQBmr0

Because most games will let you do it up to a point but then there are some fights you can't talk your way out of, or you didn't pump enough points into Science for a Science check later in the game, and then you get put into a fight when you aren't a fighter at all.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    @cooljammer00 I am not far enough in the game to verify it, but I would be very surprised if it didn't do that. 1/3 of the character progression options in the talent tree are solely for talking better at people.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    If theres anything SNES RPGs instilled in me from a young age, its that you're entitled to everything in a virtual somebody's house.

• Options
    If theres anything SNES RPGs instilled in me from a young age, its that you're entitled to everything in a virtual somebody's house.

https://youtu.be/uiN_Silc0EY

• Options
    Cooljammer - The situations I've come across where I can talk my way out of fights didn't feel any different from other rpgs that give you special dialogue based on charisma/intimidation/etc.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Regardless of what alignment I am in RPGs, I'll always steal like my life depends on it in the first playthrough of a game that gives you the option.

If it isn't nailed down, then it's yours. If it is, go get a hammer. One that isn't nailed down.

• Options
    CalescentCalescent Registered User regular
    Humble Bundle is offering the Endless Space Collection for free until September 14 at 10am Pacific time or while supplies last.

zhaotdn5piaw.jpg

(I'm following in @HiT BiT's footsteps by adding an image to these free game announcements; it really does make them look better.)

Steam: Calidaria
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Beware when inviting the hero of the universe to your home, for the silverware is bound to disappear.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Drovek wrote: »
    Beware when inviting the hero of the universe to your home, for the silverware is bound to disappear.
    No mini medals are safe.

• Options

The silverware is safe, but that beer elixir in your fridge is definitely going in his bag

• Options

The silverware is safe, but that beer elixir in your fridge is definitely going in his bag

The potion is probably safe because I never remember to use them anyway, but that silverware probably has a high value-to-weight ratio and is therefore going in my pocket.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
This discussion has been closed.