As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gears of War: Live Action Film & Animated Series Coming to Netflix?

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Does Gears 5 sum up the story so far or should I push through and finish Gears 4 first?

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Does Gears 5 sum up the story so far or should I push through and finish Gears 4 first?

It sums up the story.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    They recap the whole thing with a video at the beginning.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It doesn't explain why the hell the Outsiders are a thing, though. Unless you want to die. Nothing short of that would make it a good idea to be out there no matter what the COG is or isn't doing.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Yikes, the ranked PvP you better hope you get Swarm for your team, it's basically just 5 stacks of Terminators endlessly running at you on Cog side. And even if the hit boxes are the same, it feels like they are harder to hit than maybe they are. A little frustrating.

I'm enjoying the gameplay but some people are waaaay too good at this already

• WizKidAmigaWizKidAmiga Registered User new member
    I just want to say that Judgement is still my favorite entry, and I'm glad we got a shoutout to it in the first stage

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    It doesn't explain why the hell the Outsiders are a thing, though. Unless you want to die. Nothing short of that would make it a good idea to be out there no matter what the COG is or isn't doing.

The COG were historically a totalitarian, annex-happy government which in any other game not involving wartime against literal monsters, would be the antagonists, supported by 'true believers' like Fahz willing to live-fire into civilian crowds.

"Give me liberty or give me death" is still a thing

The Fahz thing needs clarification too-
    Were they throwing fire bombs or not? Did we see that happening? They kind of gloss over that and it would make sense for JD to give the order if they weren't peaceful protesters.

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Ending spoiler.
    It's Halo 2 all over again!

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Also, is there something after the credit? I never got the 'completed all chapters' achievement.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular

I breezed through the game in a couple hours on casual difficulty as a plot refresher and collectable hunt.

If you're a decent ways in you might as well finish.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Were they throwing fire bombs or not? Did we see that happening? They kind of gloss over that and it would make sense for JD to give the order if they weren't peaceful protesters.

I'm assuming at some point the protesters probably got violent. I do wonder if there's a lore throughline between the incident and the development of the DeeBees, which appear to be explicitly designed for depersonalized riot control, or if they already had those in place by the time it happened (which would make the situation odd because... why wouldn't they just send in DeeBees)

edited September 2019
    Having a tremendous amount of problems running the game on my PC for Act 4. Not sure if it's just this one specific mission or what, but it is crashing my PC. I switch back and forth between Xbox One and PC so curious if that has something to do with it but it's a bit of a bummer. Lowering settings doesn't seem to matter I just crash on the first mission in Act 4.

Act 3 is locking up my entire PC at the start of it when you get control. It slows to a stop quickly then is chocking on something it seems. Two in a row so far, about to try 3...

And try 3 recovered after chocking. So far....aaaand, it seems to have crashed switching windows to edit this, hahaha. Window is just gone. And then back to locking up PC. Better fix this tomorrow!
    This is exactly how it was behaving for me, couldn’t progress at all and even after I force closed the game it would crash windows a minute or two later.
    Curious if I start a new save I’ll experience the same thing or not.

I ended up finishing the game on my Xbox One which was mostly fine but I doubt a lot of people have that option available.

In case anyone else is getting this and is on AMD: The new 're-release' of 19.9.1 on the 10th (vs the 4th) seems to have fixed act 3 for me. It seemed to choke for a second then recover. May just be a coincidence it stopped now. I got to the first checkpoint and quit. Will see what happens when I resume later... edit: Well, it worked on the first resume, but now it's back to locking up. Hope they fix the game soon...

Xeddicus on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Ah, the X character is redundant/worthless conversation has already begun. Remember, The Coalition chose this route to pin characters to classes when there was a working system that allowed you to chose any character with any class previously. I suspect this weird change has something to do with their beloved escape mode.

Hardly. The DLC characters are objectively worse than the standard characters at least in terms of skill variety. Sarah Connor at least seems the more fleshed out of the group and does have some interesting skill cards but Emile and especially Kat are clearly "weaker" versions of their counterparts (JD and Del).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

I'm assuming at some point the protesters probably got violent. I do wonder if there's a lore throughline between the incident and the development of the DeeBees, which appear to be explicitly designed for depersonalized riot control, or if they already had those in place by the time it happened (which would make the situation odd because... why wouldn't they just send in DeeBees)

Book explanation of the deebees is that
    They do almost literally anything that could even remotely injure a human. Even thrashball is played by deebees and not people. While they do enforce "peace" I guess we can call it, they do serve in other capacities

WingedWeasel on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I was under the impression the incident Del and JD are referring to happen post gears 4 but prior to gears 5.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I was under the impression the incident Del and JD are referring to happen post gears 4 but prior to gears 5.

No, they mention the Settlement 2 incident in Gears 4. It's why JD and Del deserted the COG.

Into act 4 now. Far enough that I'm really curious how this is going to end. Not that I wasn't before, but I'm close enough that it's frustrating that I need to put it down for the night

Ugh, second game I got disconnected from tonight. Servers getting slammed again?

edited September 2019
    Ok my new favorite character is girl who can slide really far (I think it's kaits mom?).

I just put up a game with 20 kills first game I played as her

Local H Jay on
    So I saw someone with the name "The Coalition" the other day and thought that was pretty ballsy of whoever snagged that name (I was assuming the l is actually a captial i.) but apparently it's verified on Xbox, so I guess it was the official account? Weird.

For some reason all my textures are blurry as hell no matter how I tweak the settings. It looks worse than Gears 4 did.

The game has some serious technical issues. Not too surprising since they never did work out what was wrong with Nvidia drivers and 4.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    For some reason all my textures are blurry as hell no matter how I tweak the settings. It looks worse than Gears 4 did.
    Are you on PC? On Steam at least there's an 'Ultra-HD Texture Pack' DLC. I ignored it because I assumed it was for 4k stuff and my monitor doesn't go that high anyway, but I think it does make a difference even on lower res setups.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Yeah I downloaded that but it didn't do anything. Like, this looks worse than everything set to lowest.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I been meaning to ask, @Undead Scottsman and @Synthesis .
    Did you guys hear me talking on my Mic when we ran escape on wednesday?

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    I been meaning to ask, @Undead Scottsman and @Synthesis .
    Did you guys hear me talking on my Mic when we ran escape on wednesday?

We were in a party. I invited you to it but you didn't join.

Oh woops

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Yeah, we were in party chat the whole time--Scottsman mentioned you might've had mic problems? Or possibly were shy?

No, I thought I was talking to you guys just in game w/o an xbox party. I'm on pc and so cobbling together a setup to pptalk on keyboard and use a controller... I'm probably buying rewasd because it actually lets me bind my keyboard to my controller

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    No, I thought I was talking to you guys just in game w/o an xbox party. I'm on pc and so cobbling together a setup to pptalk on keyboard and use a controller... I'm probably buying rewasd because it actually lets me bind my keyboard to my controller

since i may be moving my gears setup to my pc in the near future what's you configuration right now out of curiousity? you can't just use a normal xbox headset with the controller or what's the issue?

Maxxed out an escape skill at level 5.. doesn't seem to be anything you can do with those cards after that point; I figured they'd turn into scrap. (Maybe they'll make like Gears 4 and introduce level 6 skills at a later point.)

Also got into the top 5% percentile for this weeks challenge map. (Had a VERY good run on Advanced)

Finished up my placements for Ranked, ended up in Silver 2. Going off Overwatch ranks, that's not great. I'm not sure if I'll bother playing much more ranked, Quickmatch is infinitely more approachable and fun. That being said doing those 5 games really forced me to 'git gud' at Gears again at an accelerated rate. Had a few really close matches that felt pretty good. Gears just has such a unique playstyle where you want to shotgun rush because it's fun, but usually not the smartest move against a good team. So found myself once again falling in love with the Boltok, which just slaps so hard in PvP

• taco543taco543 Loser CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Is it just me, or does it feel like anything horde or escape related that go above advanced are impossible. At least with randoms. I can wreck and have a good time on lower difficulties but advanced and on is a nightmare.

taco543 wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does it feel like anything horde or escape related that go above advanced are impossible. At least with randoms. I can wreck and have a good time on lower difficulties but advanced and on is a nightmare.

Once you go above experienced, I'd highly recommend having a higher level character.

• Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Yeah I downloaded that but it didn't do anything. Like, this looks worse than everything set to lowest.

That's odd. It looks gorgeous on my PC, but I switched to playing on Xbone because I needed to free up HDD real estate on the PC for Borderlands 3.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
    Well maybe this patch slightly fixed things because now it eventually loads the textures. But then they unload a few seconds later and look blurry again. So now instead of it constantly looking like shit it wobbles between looking fine and looking like shit, which is even more annoying.

Then it crashed after I launched the rocket.

You updated your drivers, right?

edited September 2019
    I have, yes. I don't know if the nvidia one is for Gears 5 or not though, it's a couple days old.

E: This is what i'm dealing with.
    8VkeAvq.jpg

Aistan on