As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] THARGOIDS INVADE BUBBLE! December 3308 Update!

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Sometimes I remember to have shields equipped first. She's a tough bird.

I have the old school engineering on a class 5 for my Cutter. Then stuffed with boosters so I can bounce off of things without going boom.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I'm not sure if she can get going fast enough to go boom from one boost. I know on at least one occasion I was on a trip to a planetary base for some reason, the gravity was too high for me to coast in on my current trajectory, so I boosted right into the pad to overpower gravity and only remembered half a second before impact that I had no shields. There was a bit of a fender bender but she held together.

I guess I was full reverse for that second and I didn't hit the pad at 90 degrees.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I fitted out a Cobra MkIV for mining purposes, haven't taken it out yet though. At some point (if it's good) I'll need to get it engineered because it's low on power, but dang if it wasn't cheap. Not a crazy amount of cargo space but I normally turn in after about 30 units are filled anyway

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Seriously, look at a Clipper. For mining purposes, it does what the Cutter does, but doesnt stop like a school bus with the break lines cut.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I've always wanted to try doing a suicide burn but never think about it when I'm playing.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    With the new modules for docking and super supercruise assist, I thought I heard there was a way to have it automatically set you in scooping orbit on a star. Is that true and how does it work? Haven't played in a while, since those new modules came out.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Deep core mining is fun and also the cutter sucks at it man can this piece of shit do anything well

Haul cargo from A to B

Mine is engineered and fit for AX. It's pretty, too but can't think of anything else I'd like it for.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Seriously, look at a Clipper. For mining purposes, it does what the Cutter does, but doesnt stop like a school bus with the break lines cut.

I wanted to try the smallest ship I could as a challenge. The Clipper is good though, running that now with horrible rng

• Options
      I'm not sure if she can get going fast enough to go boom from one boost. I know on at least one occasion I was on a trip to a planetary base for some reason, the gravity was too high for me to coast in on my current trajectory, so I boosted right into the pad to overpower gravity and only remembered half a second before impact that I had no shields. There was a bit of a fender bender but she held together.

I guess I was full reverse for that second and I didn't hit the pad at 90 degrees.

I've killed myself a couple of times on planets, but with combat builds with a lot of HRPs and stuff IIRC. Much more mass than usual.
      With the new modules for docking and super supercruise assist, I thought I heard there was a way to have it automatically set you in scooping orbit on a star. Is that true and how does it work? Haven't played in a while, since those new modules came out.

I don't believe this was the case no, but I stopped mostly soon after they came out (several weeks after).

• Options
      I've found I have more luck being willing to go after grandidierite and other less valuable materials rather than laser focusing on void opals, because they're less likely to be picked clean and I encounter more relevant asteroids. This may just be me projecting onto RNG though.

So far the Clipper seems to be a real sweet spot for a mining vessel. I've made about 160 million in profit (including ship expenses) since I started playing a few days ago. It's a nice, relaxing way to spend a few hours listening to podcasts.

• Options
      Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
      So...I've had this game for a long time (actually kickstarted it) but have barely played. Is now a decent time to get into it? Am I tied to my original pilot from way back when or can I start fresh?

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
    • Options
      I think that you can delete your save, but I don't think that you'd really gain anything from doing so. I haven't been keeping up with all of the newsletters, but I thought that their tutorial wasn't supposed to be done until later this fall.

3DS Friend Code:
    • Options
      I think the new tutorials are coming in the September update, might be worth waiting for that.

• Options
      Flying is a skill that degenerates without use, so expect to suck all over again until you knock the rust off.

• Options
      I was like "I have too much money!" and then I outfitted a Beluga and now that isn't my problem.

• Options
      I used to do passenger missions for money, but I really do want to buy a fleet carrier. Is there an agreed upon method for fast dollars?

• Options
        Pretty sure it’s deep core mining at this point, I’ve made I don’t know, half a billion playing a few hours a day over the last few days.

• Options
        I haven't kept up with how lucrative passenger missions are these days, but I suspect that the improved docking/navigation computer has made them even more hands off for that "earn money while watching Netflix" potential.

3DS Friend Code:
      • Options
        I haven't kept up with how lucrative passenger missions are these days, but I suspect that the improved docking/navigation computer has made them even more hands off for that "earn money while watching Netflix" potential.

Hmm. This seems the most convincing argument, yet.

• Options
          Well the first passenger expedition of my luxury liner ended with the deaths of everyone on board so I'm putting the Beluga into the "curiosity" pile for now.

I tried the Krait II out for mining, it seems like a really fun ship for that purpose. I know the Python is probably better, but I've flown that thing a lot already.

• Options
          I think that the Krait is actually superior for deep core mining. The Python has a lot of things going for it, but fast sublight speed isn't one of them and that's an important trait for hunting down motherlodes quickly.

3DS Friend Code:
        • Options
          DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
          I've been using my krait for bounty hunting. Haven't thought of it as a miner before. Interesting.

• Options
          After five years, I hit Elite trading rank today. Just combat to go!

• Options
          Man I was pretty skeptical about this year of updates, but this mining thing really reinvigorated the game for me. It's fun, relaxing, involves mostly real-space gameplay and pays out well enough that I can experiment with different ships and feel free from the terror of insurance payouts. I think I'll do one more run and then take another break for a while and see how this fleet carrier business shakes out. Having my stick and throttle lying around all the time is kind of a pisser at present

• Options
          kralizecckralizecc Registered User regular
          Double hotspot painite mining still seems to get credits two or three times as fast as core mining for me, but everything is just a lot more fun these days.

In warframe on PC my name is severenn
        • Options
          My number one wish for a QOL upgrade is that every large station should operate like Jameson Memorial, because being able to just fucking buy the shit you want for your ships is a game changer in terms of not wasting your time. I have all of my ships parked there for that purpose and will probably never leave.

• Options
          My number one wish for a QOL upgrade is that every large station should operate like Jameson Memorial, because being able to just fucking buy the shit you want for your ships is a game changer in terms of not wasting your time. I have all of my ships parked there for that purpose and will probably never leave.

Big problem I have as well. And I don't even mind having to wait for items to be 'shipped'. The idea that I can't order a part and have it delivered in 330X is just stupid - a jarring mechanic that is 100% about wasting your time.

Just like paying fines.

• Options
          Ideally you should be able to just go onto the Guatamaya or whatever website, order the fittings you want and then say "ship it to this station". Or even say I have to pick it up, if you want! Just don't make me fly around stations, using external tools to try and find somewhere that sells the ship I want.

• Options
          It seems like my next thing to do is unlock a bunch of shit and learn to shoot Thargoids to get that combat rank

• Options
          ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
          I like the idea of ordering parts and waiting for them to arrive. That way Jameson Memorial would remain special.

• Options
          It seems like my next thing to do is unlock a bunch of shit and learn to shoot Thargoids to get that combat rank

There's a lot of cool and scary stuff in Thargoid space. A week ago I went down there and scanned a bunch of emissions and there are Thargoids freaking everywhere. Haven't been interdicted though but I'm not sure that happens anymore.

Also I decided to keep exploring from there heading galactic south and east and ran into two entirely permit-locked sectors. Basically anything starting with COL 120 or COL 70 is permit locked. I suspect this will be Thargoid space or something.

• Options
          Found some cool stuff this morning and last night while exploring:

Found some geological vents on some random planet close to a sun.
          3fmb1k3w2qq5.jpg

My first water giant (I didn't know that was even a thing.
          n3aduq5ukkk7.jpg

My first Earth Like World.
          3n71j3gwbheg.jpg

• Options
          Whatever problems I have with the design of this game, it looks freaking awesome.

And sounds awesome too.

• Options
          I can't stop mining at this tripple ltd hotspot, how do you break away from making incredible amounts of credits to explore the rest of the game.

• Options
          ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
          As soon as you don't want to mine, stop. Don't grind.

• Options
          daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
          My problem is that I can't stop mapping planets. A binary system with five gas giants and umpteen moons orbiting the secondary and I'm motoring the umpteen thousand LS over there to see what's up. Mapping the giants sucks horribly, but I'm a sucker for the mapping of the rings.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
        • Options
          Zerocz wrote: »
          As soon as you don't want to mine, stop. Don't grind.

I never do more than I find enjoyable, it's just difficult to see more of the game when one aspect of it is so absorbing.

• Options
          My favorite thing about mining in my corvette is that its shields are strong enough to ignore the warning to withdraw to a safe distance and instead I can just enjoy a front row seat to the explosion.

3DS Friend Code:
        • Options
          Honestly every ship I've used so far could ignore the explosion. Even the Cobra MkIV, I think. Certainly the Clipper and Krait ne pas de give a fuck.

• Options
          The must've nerfed it then. I haven't played in months, although I've been planning to prepare a nestegg for fleet carriers. Shortly after release it would take a big chunk out out of my corvette's engineered shields, while smaller ships would die. My distance from the explosives was probably about ten meters at the closest point.

3DS Friend Code: