As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A very big [house] in the country

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »
    So the "freight elevator" you're supposed to use to load your stuff at my apartment is just a regular elevator ass elevator and it stays open all of 3 seconds before it's like FUCK YOU IM CLOSING FUCK YOUR SHIT ITS MINE NOW

So this sucks a big ole bag of weens.

Have you tried wedging some cinderblocks in there? I know a guy

Get the bricks from SporkAndrew and build a wall just inside the elevator. Door opens, BAM! wall.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ahahahahahaha

Friend of a friend went to, quote, "that creepy scarecrow open house". Took a bunch of moderately normal photos and put them on Facebook with the 'games room' pics buried in the mix

It is getting some absolutely phenomenal reactions.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Got a quote from a landscaper for doing some work in our apartment's backyard. Prior to that we went through the standard things you do when speaking with a contractor for the first time. What would you like to do, what's your budget, what kind of timeline, etc, etc. Then during the site visit we went over it again. And then we went over it yet again in their customer questionnaire which guarantees that they aren't missing anything that they need to take into account or know about (plant allergies, etc). Bit tedious but I appreciate the thoroughness.

Quote came back for more than double what we said our budget is.

Man, if you guys say it can't be done at that price right out of the gate I respect it. Hell, I really take it as a kindness actually. I don't want to waste your time and I'd prefer you not waste mine. No harm no foul. But to have the fucking budget number 3 times and then propose we more than double it?

What in the sweet fucking hell is wrong with you?

Anyway- I'm going to be dealing with the weeds a little bit longer/myself.

At this point I'm very likely going to hire some day-laborers from the local home depot to help me with the demo and then figure it out from there.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Oh, house thread. I was getting all excited. The renovation had been progressing with framing going up and the shape of dream home emerging; I was getting ready to do an update post with some of the progress pictures of the last few months before New Problem hit yesterday.

We were over budget projections but with project tolerances but with the significant part of groundwork, foundation, and framing done we thought we were past the point at which big ticket problems would emerge; this was apparently an erroneous assumption, as New Problem is a doozy.

New Problem can be summarised thusly: as part of the consenting process, we submit plans to the City Council for approval. They then may ask for modifications, which they did and we incorporated into revised plans (twice). They then stamp and approve the official consented plans that we are legally required keep physically on site as the Official Consented plans we are legally required to build to.

We are finally reaching the last capping point of the framing, with the roof portions arriving onsite and ready to finish the final part of the skeleton of the house. Except they don't fit. The roof doesn't fit on the walls and foundation we have built.

One of the revisions the council asked for was to make the basement garage wider. This was done, and the changes incorporated into the final revised plans submitted for consent.

The council then stamped the legal physical required plans that were the ground and first floor of the revised plans, and the basement garage of the original plans.

So no, they don't match. It's a physical impossibility. We have an approved roof design that doesn't fit our approved foundation. And it wasn't caught until the roof turned up and didn't match.

So now we have New Problem: the fuck do we do now? The council has clearly fucked up by mixing and matching plans, but they clearly intended for the later plans to be the master and we've built our foundation based on the earlier version.

If we inform them and they enforce the later plans and don't accept liability... we're fucked. The cost of scrapping what's been done, ripping it out and starting again where we were 3 months ago... I can basically just skip retirement at that point and accept indentured servitude to the banks for the rest of my natural-born life.

If they accept the error and let us keep to the foundation from the original plans and we rebuild the roof frame 120mm narrower... well it's a short delay to finishing the framing, but other work can continue and it's a lesser expense we can probably swallow.

But it's all fucked again, and the elation I was feeling this weekend when I noticed the roof of the rear extension reaching up into the sky for the first time is now replaced by a kind of creeping dread of uncertainty regarding the entire situation.

Goddamn this sucks.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Further updates on the perfectly normal suburban house in the spoiler:
    vnbu383ctmns.jpeg
    a5gxhohh0443.jpg

ajteukry4vfx.jpg

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Oh, house thread. I was getting all excited. The renovation had been progressing with framing going up and the shape of dream home emerging; I was getting ready to do an update post with some of the progress pictures of the last few months before New Problem hit yesterday.

We were over budget projections but with project tolerances but with the significant part of groundwork, foundation, and framing done we thought we were past the point at which big ticket problems would emerge; this was apparently an erroneous assumption, as New Problem is a doozy.

New Problem can be summarised thusly: as part of the consenting process, we submit plans to the City Council for approval. They then may ask for modifications, which they did and we incorporated into revised plans (twice). They then stamp and approve the official consented plans that we are legally required keep physically on site as the Official Consented plans we are legally required to build to.

We are finally reaching the last capping point of the framing, with the roof portions arriving onsite and ready to finish the final part of the skeleton of the house. Except they don't fit. The roof doesn't fit on the walls and foundation we have built.

One of the revisions the council asked for was to make the basement garage wider. This was done, and the changes incorporated into the final revised plans submitted for consent.

The council then stamped the legal physical required plans that were the ground and first floor of the revised plans, and the basement garage of the original plans.

So no, they don't match. It's a physical impossibility. We have an approved roof design that doesn't fit our approved foundation. And it wasn't caught until the roof turned up and didn't match.

So now we have New Problem: the fuck do we do now? The council has clearly fucked up by mixing and matching plans, but they clearly intended for the later plans to be the master and we've built our foundation based on the earlier version.

If we inform them and they enforce the later plans and don't accept liability... we're fucked. The cost of scrapping what's been done, ripping it out and starting again where we were 3 months ago... I can basically just skip retirement at that point and accept indentured servitude to the banks for the rest of my natural-born life.

If they accept the error and let us keep to the foundation from the original plans and we rebuild the roof frame 120mm narrower... well it's a short delay to finishing the framing, but other work can continue and it's a lesser expense we can probably swallow.

But it's all fucked again, and the elation I was feeling this weekend when I noticed the roof of the rear extension reaching up into the sky for the first time is now replaced by a kind of creeping dread of uncertainty regarding the entire situation.

Goddamn this sucks.

How are you not suing your architect and GC? It's their job to catch it.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    That's actually such a simple error that it to me sounds like gross negligence, which you can absolutely sue for.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well that was fun go to court over my house yet again plead not guilty and pushed out the door
    I think the Judge knows the city is about get sued into hell over this

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Please tell me you didn't have to pay any court costs for this circus.

(I don't actually have any hope that you didn't have to pay court costs for this circus.)

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »

Goddamn this sucks.

They're quibbling over a roof frame snafu of less than 5"?!

Can't they use the same frame and build out the soffit a bit more on each side?

edited September 2019
    Anyone have any experience with fast-setting concrete for posts?

Just watched a video on Quickrete's site where they use fast-setting concrete to set a post and they just dump it into the hole and then add water. Literally no mixing. Actually, here's the video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=97&v=pI-pCSxD0GY

Thoughts?

Cause damn if that wouldn't make my upcoming project a shit ton easier.

Edit: Welp, found this as well -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9sVG68XEq8

I'm going to be pouring about 3-4 bags worth into a big flower pot and yep - life just got easier.

DrZiplock on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    These are fence posts?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    4x4 pressure treated posts, yep

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My mate used some when he put up his fence and said it was much simpler, but I've never used it myself.

Fence is still standing half a decade or so later.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    If you have any amount of moisture in your yard do not go the Quickrete way. I used something similar when I built my fence about a decade ago and, well, I ended up having to tear the fence down a couple of years ago. Ideally you want your concrete to flare out at the bottom of the post and that's tough to do with quickrete.

How big is the fence you're building?

Well, yard is in Southern CA so moisture isn't so much a concern.

And it's not really so much a fence as it is support struts for one half of a shade sail.

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Yeah Zip I've used that stuff to set a 3"x3" mailbox post. Still standing 4 years later, also SoCal.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »

And it's not really so much a fence as it is support struts for one half of a shade sail.

If there's not much moisture in the ground then I'd go ahead and use the quickcrete. But frankly, I have never had an issue mixing cement before and don't see much of an issue with doing it the traditional way.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Pre-mixed high-strength concrete isn't bad. You buy the 20 kilogram bags, you mix in the correct amount of water with a shovel, and you dump it in the hole. And it's 3-4 times stronger than the quikset concrete that costs more and yet is not as good to work with. I did all 6 of my verandah post feet with 4 bags of the good stuff, and if they ever pull out of the ground then the rest of the house will already be strewn about the countryside via whatever catastrophic natural disaster is happening at the time, so no worries there. I also used the same type of pre-mixed for the platform for the primary unit of my a/c system to sit on, and it should survive a Dresden-style direct bombing in the case of World War 3 breaking out. (I didn't want to have to go back and do it again in a decade or two)

Sure, mixing up the concrete requires a wheelbarrow and a shovel and 10-15 minutes of your time, but you do it once and it outlasts your grand-children. You just do it, and it's fucken DONE, forever. No stuffing about.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Eh if it is a post, it doesn't really matter what you use. It isn't the strength of the concrete that is the limiting factor it's the frictional capacity between the concrete and the earth.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah but that quikset no-mix stuff is fucking piss. "just dump the bag in the hole and pour the water on top" good god no, that's how you get a hole filled with 95% dry unset powder and gravel and a thin layer of crumbly shit concrete on top.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Ehhh you mix it good you're fine. We use it for our cattle pasture fences and it gets a good 20 years. The post rots before the concrete has any issue.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    You could wrap the post base in aluminum flashing and probably extend life that way too

When one of my neighbors in back of me redid the fence that fell into my backyard {he said because it fell into my yard I had to replace it or pay for it to be replaced} He threw chunks of cement into my yard
    I broke it up into little chunks and redid the far post for the clothesline with it

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    You could wrap the post base in aluminum flashing and probably extend life that way too

Theres a sealant my dad uses, dont remember what its called, but you dip the cut ends into it and let it soak in and you get like another 5 years out of the post before it rots.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

Theres a sealant my dad uses, dont remember what its called, but you dip the cut ends into it and let it soak in and you get like another 5 years out of the post before it rots.

Creosote is what my dad used, but I think that was more for termites.

Jedoc wrote: »
    Please tell me you didn't have to pay any court costs for this circus.

(I don't actually have any hope that you didn't have to pay court costs for this circus.)

With how the cases in front of me were about pets I did not know when I went earlier in the year for court that you need to microchip your pets. This time was a gentleman complaining about the Byzantium political rules of the city and breeding dogs as he applied for the license and was sited when he turned in the paper work. As in His words this is the government people make fun of as they are out to get you and how idiotic it was.

But I do hope I don't have to pay as this is silly and really a hair's breath from me getting a lawyer

Yeah but that quikset no-mix stuff is fucking piss. "just dump the bag in the hole and pour the water on top" good god no, that's how you get a hole filled with 95% dry unset powder and gravel and a thin layer of crumbly shit concrete on top.

There is a huge portion of the internet and a number of contractors I've spoken to at the store that disagree with you on this particular point.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

There is a huge portion of the internet and a number of contractors I've spoken to at the store that disagree with you on this particular point.

It works fine, you just can't have the hole jam tightly packed with it. The other problem is people don't follow the instructions and use the same amount of water that they'd use if they were mixing concrete in a wheel barrow which is something like 1/2 the water quickcrete wants.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    (it also has to be the 'no mix' variety, normal quickcrete still needs to be mixed but the bags are different sizes and colors and people always just buy quickcrete thinking it's no-mix)

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I need to go buy food and probably a broom and dustpan and maybe a bluetooth speaker what for tunage whilst I cook but also I have my couch set up and really, do I need to unpack or hook anything else up?

Like, really really?

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I need to go buy food and probably a broom and dustpan and maybe a bluetooth speaker what for tunage whilst I cook but also I have my couch set up and really, do I need to unpack or hook anything else up?

Like, really really?

TV and internet, obviously.

Just watched a video on Quickrete's site where they use fast-setting concrete to set a post and they just dump it into the hole and then add water. Literally no mixing.

We've interacted many MANY times over the last decade or so, Doctor.

When have I EVER tried to steer someone wrong on the matters of home or vehicle maintenance or modification?

I've personally used the "no-mix" quikset concrete, and it required mixing to get a satisfactory result. And I've used the "mixing required" pre-mix that is vastly stronger and more resilient than the "no-mix".

My argument is, it all actually DOES need to be mixed, and it's all about the same price, so just get the better stuff?

bowen wrote: »

It works fine, you just can't have the hole jam tightly packed with it. The other problem is people don't follow the instructions and use the same amount of water that they'd use if they were mixing concrete in a wheel barrow which is something like 1/2 the water quickcrete wants.

Eh, it doesn't just "work fine" in my experience. It does still need mixing to distribute the water throughout the mixture sufficiently, except instead of mixing it in a wheelbarrow or a cement mixer at your leisure, now you're trying to stir it about in the hole with a bloody post in the way. And you've got about 30 seconds to a minute before it starts hardening.

Just watched a video on Quickrete's site where they use fast-setting concrete to set a post and they just dump it into the hole and then add water. Literally no mixing.

When have I EVER tried to steer someone wrong on the matters of home or vehicle maintenance or modification?

I've personally used the "no-mix" quikset concrete, and it required mixing to get a satisfactory result. And I've used the "mixing required" pre-mix that is vastly stronger and more resilient than the "no-mix".

My argument is, it all actually DOES need to be mixed, and it's all about the same price, so just get the better stuff?

Mon amie, I do not believe you to be steering myself or anyone else wrong. Nor do I believe that you ever have intended to in the holy fuck it's been a decade.

I'm just stating that others in the world hold contrary opinions to yours in this particular matter and I'm fully certain that both are valid and deserve consideration. Which I am giving to both.

xoxo- Zip

Mon amie, I do not believe you to be steering myself or anyone else wrong. Nor do I believe that you ever have intended to in the holy fuck it's been a decade.

I'm just stating that others in the world hold contrary opinions to yours in this particular matter and I'm fully certain that both are valid and deserve consideration. Which I am giving to both.

xoxo- Zip

Do you forsee ever coming to AusPAX in the future? I suspect we could have some good times.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Do your good times involve a crowbar?

chromdom on
    chromdom wrote: »

Nah mate, here we use a cricket bat.

chromdom wrote: »

Nah mate, here we use a cricket bat.

Tease

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I want to make a living moss bathmat