As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Don't worry, Remedy have everything under [Control]

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    re wake
    also his thermos is one of the altered objects \0/

unt1pc8vzqft.png

night springs is a bureau of control tv show proposal

jesse talks about thomas zane to her therapist but the therapist doesnt know him because he was written out, but jesse presumably immune due to being a WIZARD

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I can't get over how good the ending was.

The direction and acting throughout the game is so good.
    Dylan is both childlike and scary as fuq.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    AWE obviously stands for
    the Alan Wake Expansion

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    new harder mode is the exact opposite of what I want

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Hardtarget wrote: »

You don't do achievements or anything iirc, so not really seeing it as a problem? Just more content?

edit:

This here though is something that would have made me reconsider buying the game at full price, even with my discounts:
    As for the paid DLC, early 2020 will see the launch of The Foundation, ...
    where Jesse tries to explore what’s underneath The Bureau, while mid 2020 is when the second DLC pack, AWE, launches. AWE will take players to a new location, The Investigations Sector, which looks at Altered World Events. If the similarities that journalist and Numbskull PR guy Ryan Brown has pointed out have any validity, we might even be seeing a return of Alan Wake.

Unfortunately, the paid DLC comes with a big asterisk. Players who have bought the game on PS4 can pre-order the Season Pass right now, with DLC 1 scheduled to launch first on PS4. As for the PC and Xbox One players, a press release states that “the Season Pass and individual Expansions will be available for purchase on Xbox One and PC, following the PlayStation 4 Expansion 1 ‘The Foundation’ release. The AWE expansion will release on all platforms on the same date.”

(Source)

edit: trying to find the press release where they buried that information atm.

Huh, reddit outrage that I missed back in April over this.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    "Oh, thank god, they're not going to make me fight the Anchor just to rescue this one NPC"

"Right, so, based on previous context, I can hopefully get this dude out of SCP-173, I mean, the Refrigerator's containment area, and not have to fight anythi---"

"..."

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK"

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    The word Anchor in this game made me immediately think about Scranton Reality Anchors which I guess HRAs essentially are in portable format

Tangentially... that SCP-173 Fridge actually really annoyed me due to how dissonant it felt between gameplay and narrative - I was in no real hurry to go past the poor guy but couldn't make the decision to try and help him :c

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Eddy wrote: »
    The word Anchor in this game made me immediately think about Scranton Reality Anchors which I guess HRAs essentially are in portable format

Tangentially... that SCP-173 Fridge actually really annoyed me due to how dissonant it felt between gameplay and narrative - I was in no real hurry to go past the poor guy but couldn't make the decision to try and help him :c

extremely hard agree :\

*edit* esp in that if you don't help him RIGHT THEN he's... afaik just. There. He just sits there unblinking for MORE THAN TWO DAYS if you just keep going. It's only if you try to do something that the Fridge eats him. Wtf.

*edit2* I'd be less bothered if you went and did another story checkpoint, came back, and found "aw fuk, fridge ate him" while you were gone, but that doesn't seem to be the case (correct me if wrong?)

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Eddy wrote: »

Sorry to double post, but I genuinely believe this addendum is worth the extra post...

Speaking of HRAs / SRAs, if you haven't read the SCP-3001 about the eponymous Dr(s). Robert and Alice Scranton, well... I think this one was a huge inspriation for Control (keeping in mind that *most* people haven't read past the 0XXX and 1XXX SCP series. Not a fault, just the nature of the massive archive panic of over 5000 short story entires that is SCP-Wiki)

SCP-3001: Red Reality

Enjoy!

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Really bummed I think even with the patch I can not get Remus to spawn to finish the “find my old buddies” quest. He’s the one in the energy room. Nothing ever happens when I go in.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Really bummed I think even with the patch I can not get Remus to spawn to finish the “find my old buddies” quest. He’s the one in the energy room. Nothing ever happens when I go in.

The patch notes said they fixed Heptonstall not spawning in that quest but they're still working on Remus

• Options
    Absurdity MatrixAbsurdity Matrix Tumbledown Glory On the OutskirtsRegistered User regular
    Thanks to Lucid_Seraph's comments, I realized I had been giving Spin the short shrift. I still adore Grip for the headshots and (now upgraded!) Pierce for what it does to a line of armored enemies, but the other forms lend themselves to different combat approaches and exploring that has been fun.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

You don't do achievements or anything iirc, so not really seeing it as a problem? Just more content?

What I mean is if anything I'd rather a new easier/story mode heh Just wonder around the cool setting, easily winning gun fights and soaking up the atmosphere.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options

What I mean is if anything I'd rather a new easier/story mode heh Just wonder around the cool setting, easily winning gun fights and soaking up the atmosphere.

at a minimum, "dudes die when I headshot them, regardless of how I do that" would be really nice

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I'm all about that announced DLC, but the photo mode is going to be choice...

My friends are going to be so annoyed with how many shots I post.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited September 2019

IDK, I don't find the combat in this game to be troubling or inconvenient at all, so I guess I just don't see "easy mode" being a thing over adding anything else.

More than anything I want to know about how all the timed exclusivity is going to shake out. All I've been able to find is them saying "not very long," which isn't promising on principle.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    this FUCKING HEDRON FIGHT

STOP

RESETTING ME

TO THE START

FUCK YOU

*Edit* spoiler'd for reasons of "bossfight near end of game"

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    YUP!

THAT WAS

NOT

FUN.

• Options
    Absurdity MatrixAbsurdity Matrix Tumbledown Glory On the OutskirtsRegistered User regular
    This game has a so many details that I'm ordinarily inclined to dismiss as atmospheric only to find out they do something or mean something. I may be slow on the uptake, but I only recently realized what a couple of the large framed pictures mean.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    It really seems like a lot of spoilerish stuff is being posted in the open, especially the boss talk.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    It really seems like a lot of spoilerish stuff is being posted in the open, especially the boss talk.

Ack, whoops. I also just realized that what I said could be GREATLY misinterpreted out of context by people still in the early game, so, I've at least spoilered my yelling above.
    You could read what I said as implying that you're fighting the Hedron, which is absolutely not the case. Hedron is an aspect/other name for our Good Good Fresnel Lens Buddy, Polaris.

*edit* so a bit of a fun related thing: at the start of the game I started calling Polaris "Fresnel Lens" before we had an actual name for her, because the screen effect she makes looks kind of like one. I also picked it because she kind of served the same purpose: she was a guiding light, pointing me to safety/where I needed to be. And then later it turns out that Jesse picked Polaris for basically the same reason.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    this FUCKING HEDRON FIGHT

STOP

RESETTING ME

TO THE START

FUCK YOU

*Edit* spoiler'd for reasons of "bossfight near end of game"

When I did it it checkpointed me after each set of pylons?

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I got sent back two, so yeah maybe the same as you.

Post-game:
    After I beat it, I got the crazy credits but game locked so[rebooted. When I came back, there were enemies at the base and I'm like great got to do it all again. Turns out instead of going to the dream job sequence, I got dumped back into the regular game.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Anyone who's played Quantum Break - is there any little lore stuff in here?

Just curious since I never did.

Also I am nearing the end I think but every sidequest has been pretty great, and I just keep doing them. The one with the Japanese tapes is fucking WILD.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    That H fight was ok for me because I stayed one tier away every time and sniped everyone with pierce while being out of their range.

Honk on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    That H fight was ok for me because I stayed one tier away every time and sniped everyone with pierce while being out of their range.

That worked for me until I had just the last tier to clear. I ended up not being able to kill the big guys by sniping them, so I just sniping the little guys, going over and softening up the big guys, running away when a new wave spawned, and repeating as necessary. Except for the two times I failed to float properly and fell to my death. Good times.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    They just kept spawning for me for some reason. A few of the bigger ones actually fell off and died, lol.

One drawback with the zoom mod on pierce, I noticed, is that you get hair in the way and also the super bright orange charge flare. Can’t see shit around the crosshair.

• Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »

That worked for me until I had just the last tier to clear. I ended up not being able to kill the big guys by sniping them, so I just sniping the little guys, going over and softening up the big guys, running away when a new wave spawned, and repeating as necessary. Except for the two times I failed to float properly and fell to my death. Good times.

Seize was my friend in that part, divide their aggro and give you a chance to recharge.

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    So it seems the game has finally figured out a way to slow my progress down: environmental hazards.

• Options
    Holy fuck
    So, I made a longer post about this on Reddit, but, basically: I have work related PTSD due to having a severely abusive supervisor. Like... I don't like to talk about some of the shit she did to me abusive, that she got away with carte blanche and that HR did nothing about.

Post about it: https://old.reddit.com/r/controlgame/comments/d3zp0y/a_huge_thank_you_to_the_creators_of_the_altered/

The endgame sequence where you're trapped in an office work nightmare where the whole office is talking about how shitty you are at your job? Actually did in fact trigger my PTSD. I almost couldn't finish the game.

EXCEPT...

Some jokesters on Reddit wrote a "case file" about a bug which occurs with the cart objects in the game -- namely, they can become hula hoops / fashionable skirts if you run into them

https://old.reddit.com/r/controlgame/comments/d3qa2o/altered_item_53_case_file/

So, as I'm frantically running to get coffee / make copies / deliver mail and STRONGLY considering uninstalling the game because boy howdy I did NOT need to remember my fucking shitass supervisor who literally told me on the day that my grandmother died that "We don't have time for your petty little personal problems at this office"

And I trip over a cart

And it sticks to my waist like a stupid hula hoop

And that was enough to kick Stupid Broken PTSD Brain out of "Your boss is going to remind you again that the reason she doesn't call you by name is that you're too unimportant for her to bother learning your name" (LITERAL THING THAT HAPPENED. NOT A JOKE.) and into "IS VIDEYA GAEM. ENDURE. GUN WILL COME BACK. THEN U WILL MURDER ALL THESE FUCKERS. YOUR SHIT BOSS PROBABLY GOT EATEN BY HISS IN BEGINNING OF GAEM. IS POWER FANTASY. U R BOSS."

And I got

fucking

through it

But jesus christ, way to accurately simulate a toxic work environment x_X

• Options
    So okay I beat the main game, and now... I think I'm gonna get one of those game trainer things :\ Because the bonus bosses are just way too frustrating.
    Anchor would be actually kind of fun and not so bad... if it didn't suddenly spawn adds that one-shot gank me from behind when I'm trying to concentrate on timed throws. Or which distract me with their nonsense so that I don't see its tell in time and get clock'd. Then there's some issues with control (har) responsiveness -- Mold-1 should *hypothetically* be cheesable by just standing up on the one pillar, using Shield, then dropping it to shoot between attack phases, except that sometimes its attacks just go "What shield?" for no telegraphed reason (as in, literally the same attack that Shield worked on two seconds ago is suddenly not working, with a newly applied Shield.)

So, infinite HP time it is so that I can actually concentrate on doing the boss mechanics, I guess. I've never used one of these before, so I'm hoping it doesn't ruin my save for the DLCs..? Guess I'll make a clean backup, just in case.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Seriously they need an easy mode in this game. I’ve just spent a couple hours straight failing on the Salvador boss not counting last night when I originally got stuck there and then went to bed.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    tiftuo eht tog I, yay
    <3 .sehtolc reh elots neht drah os reh delloR .ecnahc a dah reven esseJ

!won ideJ a m'I :tide

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    tiftuo eht tog I, yay
    <3 .sehtolc reh elots neht drah os reh delloR .ecnahc a dah reven esseJ

!won ideJ a m'I :tide

That outfit is so good.

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Is there any way to get ability points besides story/side-quest missions and secret areas? I've finished all the quests and found a few secret areas but am still 4 points short of the achievement for unlocking 100% of nodes...

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    nuts... accidentally ended the game needing 4 points to max out my skills... though I should have seen that point of no return happening.. guess I'll find out if I get the points for the missions to wrap this up because I really don't feel like wandering around trying to find a few more secrets, heh.

edit: finished with 2 points over, Point of No Return pushes/grants you 6. There could be more on the map but that's how I got the last points.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    I beat this tonight.

It fucking rules and everyone should buy it.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    Seriously they need an easy mode in this game. I’ve just spent a couple hours straight failing on the Salvador boss not counting last night when I originally got stuck there and then went to bed.
    Yeah, I'm stuck on Salvador as well. My best run at him got him down to 25% health before I messed up. Anyone have any tips? Any way to cheese it?

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm stuck on Salvador as well. My best run at him got him down to 25% health before I messed up. Anyone have any tips? Any way to cheese it?

Launch and Pierce were my mainstays for fighting any of the big rock shield guys. He also drops the rock shield every time he goes to throw something, so if you can throw before he does, you'll stagger him and open him up to more damage. The problem is his mook squad, so try to empty the field of them so you can dump pain Salvador's way.

Upgraded launch is just dandy in most fights, honestly.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Always Be Launching. Grip* that coffee.

Fight on either side of the room, not the middle lane. Took a few to remember this fight but I think I did it on the right side. I stayed right mid, like where there was a intersection where I fought?

edit: Also stack damage mods on Grip. Don't worry about headshots. Body them all at over +90% does the job better and quicker.

You don't need to ADS in this game either, that just slows you down.

tastydonuts on