As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What is the most obscure topic on which you could perform a five minute stand-up set?

YaYaYaYa Decent.Registered User regular
the first thing that comes to mind is the timeline of the Kingdom Hearts franchise but I think I could go more esoteric

• Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    Phantasy Star Online and why I still can't stop thinking about it every waking moment of every second of my existence.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Elder Scrolls lore

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Shelving order in the fiction section.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Women Be Shopping

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    The existence of organic bananas

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    define obscure

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    shakespeare's cymbeline

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    The scene in Highlander when Sean Connery explains why Highlanders are immortal

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I actually have one about Anakin Skywalker and the end of The Phantom Menace

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    God some comic book shit I don't know

CYpGAPn.png
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    define obscure

something less than 0.1% of the American population would have even heard of

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    This has to be funny, right

PNk1Ml4.png
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

it should be at least a C+ comedy routine

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I mean Patton Oswalt already covered Death Bed...

Maybe Neil Breen?

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

it should be at least a C+ comedy routine

Okay so I don't actually have to tell any jokes, just yell my political opinions

PNk1Ml4.png
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Oh, I could probably do a full hour on Dancin': It's On!

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    North Atlantic piracy around the turn of the 17th century

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Ken Penders

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Blue ice runways.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The theory that all the Gundam shows take place in the same timeline

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    No wait

DB Cooper

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Beating the secret mini boss in Digital Devil Saga vol. 1 using a modified version of the “infamous” (relatively) Red Star strategy.

That’s a gold mine of comedy, if I do say so myself.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    my dick

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    I could probably come up with at least five minutes on Geoffrey Pyke.

It half writes itself; he threw a big chunk of ice into Winston Churchill's bath at one point.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Not a lot of people know about my life.

That's pretty obscure. I could tell a story from my life.

Like maybe a story about how I read some interesting and obscure facts about a topic and muse upon those facts in a unique and amusing manner.

I don't know what that topic would be, though.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The rise and fall of Yahoo Serious.

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    did i tell you about the time i randomly met yahoo serious's nephew in a kiribilli bar and talked with him for two hours about the script he was writing

i could do five minutes of jokes on that. sorry, tynic. i think yahoo serious's nephew trumps yahoo serious

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    North Atlantic piracy around the turn of the 17th century

My favourite is Henry Mainwaring, an English naval officer who was given a ship and crew and commissioned to hunt a particularly notorious pirate that was operating out of Newfoundland (really), and barely got out of port before deciding "nah, fuck this" and turning pirate themselves. He even took over his assigned target's base of operations when the original pirate retired.

Then, when he decided he was tired of the life he accepted a pardon from the king, and in return he wrote a book on how to combat piracy - "On the Beginnings, Practices, and Suppression of Pirates." One of his key pieces of advice was that pirates should never, ever be pardoned, as removing all hope of retiring peacefully and returning home would discourage people from taking up the life to begin with. I don't know if I've ever seen a more purely distilled example of "fuck you, got mine."

so naturally followed this by becoming a lawyer, and then ran for parliament

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Probably the late Bronze Age decline

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Pip's dick.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular

Bronze Age: No, thanks.

Environmental factors accompanied by invasion of Sea Peoples??: Too late.

Bronze Age: Dang.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Humor can be dissected as a frog can. It often dies in the process

• 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Naruse puts his camera like this.

*murmurs of anticipation*

Ozu puts his camera like this!

*uproarious laughter*

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The 14 issue Maximum Carnage run.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    shakespeare's cymbeline

"take my wife... please!" - posthumus

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i am paralyzed by this question

there are too many options

but my heart says burger king advertising from the early-mid 2000s

i could get a tight 15 outta subservient chicken alone

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i was going to say shakespeare authorship conspiracy theories but now i'm going to be workshopping cymbeline jokes all day

ey, you think poisoning your stepdaughter's evil, you should see my wife when i don't take out the garbage

these kids, they live in a cave, they hunt their own food *wipes away flopsweat*... i can barely get my kids off the damn x box!!

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    i am paralyzed by this question

there are too many options

but my heart says burger king advertising from the early-mid 2000s

i could get a tight 15 outta subservient chicken alone

Tell me more.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I could probably go on a rant about mini games in Final Fantasy games. Like, just look at the Colosseum in Final Fantasy VI. You play this whole game, and after you go to Zozo, it’s practically screaming at you to use these big shiny rocks to learn magic. Turn a corner? Magicite. Do a story event? Magicite. Oh, you beat the dungeon? Here’s 8 Magicite for free! So in Square’s infinite wisdom, they decided to make a mini game that punishes you for ever looking at a damn Magicite! This coliseum has you choose one of your dudes to bet your valuables on, and he starts fighting on his own, choosing his moves randomly. And I do mean totally randomly! Meaning that every single spell you learned? Equal chance of being picked as the option to just fight! Ever seen a martial artist with bulging muscles and a knife on his hand decide that it’s a better idea to try and cure a poison he doesn’t have? It’s alnost as funny as him choosing a suicide spell on his first turn!

...but i think I’d be more interested in doing a routine about the history of ads desperately trying to get you to see them in a world with internet browser plugins and the ability to record TV shows. Jeopardy is particularly devious about it.

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    obscure gamemode servers in garrys mod

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg