As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] Video cards: Still expensive. Ryzen: Still awesome.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Ray tracing should not be the reason you are buying an rtx 20x0 gpu. Because that feature performs shit in terms of FPS.

Buy it for the stability if the competitor isn’t .

Also while a 550w psu will get the job done, there’s nothing wrong with wanting some breathing room.

It's should be a factor in my opinion, especially seeing how great its implemented in Control. Yes performance is an fairly large issue but I'm glad to get to experience it now and not wait a couple years.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I am ordering a new PC soon. I'd like some input incase I'm missing something obvious. The research for this is exhaustive/exhausting. Some parts are picked because I am paying for assembly at a store, which means I have to order everything there. Prices are decent there though, and their selection fairly large.

My goals here:
    I want a decent gaming machine for 3-4 years, currently 1080p but considering a monitor switch to 1440p/*sync. I don't want to overclock, I don't want to tweak settings if I can help it. I appreciate quietness.

MSI B450-A PRO MAX B450, socket AM4 - Only 1 PCI 16x, but I don't more? I understand MSI is the best "budget" mobo brand at the moment.
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600 socket AM4 processor - Everyone seems to agree this is the sweetspot
    Gelid Solutions Rev.4 Tranquillo cpu-cooler - Hadn't heard of this brand, but it landed near the top of 2 tests I read for "budget coolers that outperform stock"
    GIGABYTE Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING OC 8G - Another agreed upon sweetspot seems to test as a quiet, idle and load
    be quiet! Pure Power 11 700W, 700 Watt PSU - Advice here seemed to vary a lot. This seems a well regarded brand, more than enough juice.
    Corsair 16 GB DDR4-3200 Kit CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16, Vengeance LPX - 3200 seems the max for the mobo
    Kingston A2000, 1 TB SSD - 1TB should allow me to place 10 big modern games on it before I have to start swapping files.
    Seagate BarraCuda, 4 TB HDD
    . - Big and Cheap, and mostly used to store games I am currently not playing (since my internet is not superfast, offloading downloaded games is faster than redownloading), or games that take no time to load anyway.
    Corsair Carbide 200R window tower - It's a black case with no frills, which is what I want.
    be quiet! Pure Wings 2 120mm case fan - The case comes with 2, I understand 3 is optimal (?)

Mostly good, but swap out the gigabyte for a Sapphire or Powercolor of same price tier - the powercolour is the most quiet card of this gen thus far, though it might be worth waiting 6 days to see what the Nitro+ Navis bring to the table. I'm something of a proponent of considering going for the absolute cheapest decently built thing that will reliably drive your monitor at 60fps high, and saving that money for RT down the line, if you want to consider that. I might also consider a Fractal Design case. Edit: I'd also consider a EVGA or Corsair PSU, that warranty is an asset when that thing can be used over multiple builds.
    It's should be a factor in my opinion, especially seeing how great its implemented in Control. Yes performance is an fairly large issue but I'm glad to get to experience it now and not wait a couple years.

Getting a cheaper card now will save money for an upgrade when RT doesn't tank FPS for a decent price.

Jeep-Eep on
    I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    The LG is finally available to order, but out of stock.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TD94TQF/

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Anyone else notice AMD seems to have changed the release date for 19.9.1? It originally came out the 4th or so, now saying the 10th. Did they actually change something?

• WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    *emerges from a pile of dust bunnies* So I just rebuilt my computer due to getting a 5700XT for my birthday, and I had issues with my computer Black screening every so often. Windows Re-install seems to have fixed that issue, but when I try to access AMD Link from my Amazon Fire Stick, I get the message that it has connected, but then the app immediately backs out to the connection screen and I loose the link. Anyone have any experience with trouble shooting this type of issue? I wasn't able to find anything recent when I googled, and perhaps I've derped. I was able to access the AMD Link with my iPhone SE, and it works great, but I kind of want my games up on my TV >_>.

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Incindium wrote: »
    Ray tracing should not be the reason you are buying an rtx 20x0 gpu. Because that feature performs shit in terms of FPS.

Also while a 550w psu will get the job done, there’s nothing wrong with wanting some breathing room.

Yeah Control was a fucking experience, visually. Just absolutely stunning, even with my lowly 2060 OG. 1440p, everything on high, 45+ FPS consistently, 90% of the time over 60 (for a sightseeing title like Control that's just fine).

Spoilered for lolhuge
    sw3km3n0539f.jpg

I will likely be upgrading to the 3XXX nVidia GPU's, as I'm expecting raytracing to really start to become a desirable feature.

jungleroomx on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Wulf wrote: »
    *emerges from a pile of dust bunnies* So I just rebuilt my computer due to getting a 5700XT for my birthday, and I had issues with my computer Black screening every so often. Windows Re-install seems to have fixed that issue, but when I try to access AMD Link from my Amazon Fire Stick, I get the message that it has connected, but then the app immediately backs out to the connection screen and I loose the link. Anyone have any experience with trouble shooting this type of issue? I wasn't able to find anything recent when I googled, and perhaps I've derped. I was able to access the AMD Link with my iPhone SE, and it works great, but I kind of want my games up on my TV >_>.

I don't have solid info for you, but this could be related to permissions on your PC, or possibly the age of the app on the Fire Stick (has there been an update that Amazon isn't seeing? Or you may need to uninstall/reinstall it?).

If it works on your phone, then the issue is at the Fire Stick. The other problem could potentially be that the wifi antenna used by the Stick isn't 'good' enough for AMD Link (i.e. if the Stick is a bit older, it's got a lower speed/bandwidth antenna and therefore may not be able to support the bitrate that the Link app needs).

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Would a 5700XT work well for 1440p 120-144hz gaming on things coming out (obviously without ray tracing?). Titles I'm looking at specifically are like Cyberpunk and Vampire coming out next year.

Currently running a 1070 on that same 1440p monitor.

I am strongly thinking about just biting the bullet and going with a new motherboard and case and moving over what I can from the Dell XPS for future updates.

This is what I'd have to buy:
    PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($137.96 @ Amazon)
    Case: Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $287.84
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-11 11:22 EDT-0400

I already have a 600W BQ bronze PSU, and the CPU I have is a i5-8400 LGA1151 socket, DDR4-2666 288 pin RAM.

And then I could upgrade a GPU down the line, say next March (when I get my bonus and right before CP comes out).

EDIT: I guess I'll want some kind of WiFi adapter as well, since that is what I use on the XPS tower. Wonder if that can migrate to the new case/mobo.

Bigity on
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Wulf wrote: »

I don't have solid info for you, but this could be related to permissions on your PC, or possibly the age of the app on the Fire Stick (has there been an update that Amazon isn't seeing? Or you may need to uninstall/reinstall it?).

If it works on your phone, then the issue is at the Fire Stick. The other problem could potentially be that the wifi antenna used by the Stick isn't 'good' enough for AMD Link (i.e. if the Stick is a bit older, it's got a lower speed/bandwidth antenna and therefore may not be able to support the bitrate that the Link app needs).
    Hmm, that could be it. Going to try the App on a few other devices and see if it also works there. If it does, then perhaps its time to look to the next Amazon 'Fire Sale'

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

Yeah Control was a fucking experience, visually. Just absolutely stunning, even with my lowly 2060 OG. 1440p, everything on high, 45+ FPS consistently, 90% of the time over 60 (for a sightseeing title like Control that's just fine).

Spoilered for lolhuge
    sw3km3n0539f.jpg

I will likely be upgrading to the 3XXX nVidia GPU's, as I'm expecting raytracing to really start to become a desirable feature.

Yeah, Control is an incredible show case of ray tracing. I think it also still shows one major weakness: Noise. I played through the entire game with full ray-traced lighting and reflections and the framerates were fine on a 2080 Ti.....but the noise left behind in very dark scenes using the indirect lighting is obvious. It looks incredible standing still but when you move you can see the de-noiser struggling to keep up. I think this is the next major hurdle real-time RT faces: Getting a better de-noiser, possibly a hardware one.

But don't let that take away from how amazing Control looks and how good of an implementation it is. It's the first game with full RTX support where I feel like the tech and the art came together to produce something truly striking.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Spoilered for lolhuge
    sw3km3n0539f.jpg

Yeah, Control is an incredible show case of ray tracing. I think it also still shows one major weakness: Noise. I played through the entire game with full ray-traced lighting and reflections and the framerates were fine on a 2080 Ti.....but the noise left behind in very dark scenes using the indirect lighting is obvious. It looks incredible standing still but when you move you can see the de-noiser struggling to keep up. I think this is the next major hurdle real-time RT faces: Getting a better de-noiser, possibly a hardware one.

But don't let that take away from how amazing Control looks and how good of an implementation it is. It's the first game with full RTX support where I feel like the tech and the art came together to produce something truly striking.

Yeah, they used a film grain filter to try and cover up the noise, but there's just not a fine enough resolution of rays to make it really smooth.

We'll see it in a generation or two, though. Raytracing is the way forward from here, period, and I think because it can easily be universal that it'll explode and grow much like the shift from 2D to 3D did.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Maybe by the time Control is out on Steam, I'll have a 2xxx card to enjoy it with. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Maybe by the time Control is out on Steam, I'll have a 2xxx card to enjoy it with. :D

Or a 3xxx card XD

Stabbity_Style.png

Spoilered for lolhuge
    sw3km3n0539f.jpg

nVidia uses a neural net methodology to clean it up, Tensorflow based - it's the one useful thing the tensor cores on Turing do, as DLSS is a punchline.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I have the weirdest fucking problem right now
    all Steam games i boot up get 2 or 3 seconds of freeze every 15 seconds, on the dot. No matter the API.
    But if I run No Man's Sky first, they work fine.

I'll come back tomorrow with more test results. I'm 100% flabbergasted.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    all Steam games i boot up get 2 or 3 seconds of freeze every 15 seconds, on the dot. No matter the API.

Really weird. Sounds a little bit like shader caching but I'm pretty sure steam avoids that now.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Sander I find your lack of LEDs disturbing

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Jeep-Eep wrote: »

Spoilered for lolhuge
    sw3km3n0539f.jpg

nVidia uses a neural net methodology to clean it up, Tensorflow based - it's the one useful thing the tensor cores on Turing do, as DLSS is a punchline.

This just isn't true.

DLSS in Control at least is fantastic. It pretty much doubled my framerate without any impact in visual fidelity.

I had a few updates earlier in the week that finished download but still hadn't 'completed' install even though I it was sitting with 0 Mbps (or w/e) for disk activity.

I let them sit for a while and they finished themselves.

The NMS quirk is odd. I wonder if this has to do with RAM caching or disk caching? Like maybe NMS uses more cache, so it forces a clear that knocks out the roadblock.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

Spoilered for lolhuge
    sw3km3n0539f.jpg

This just isn't true.

DLSS in Control at least is fantastic. It pretty much doubled my framerate without any impact in visual fidelity.

The more work is done making these kind of image reconstruction techniques common the better especially in this age of stupid high pixel counts.

edited September 2019
    LD50 wrote: »

Spoilered for lolhuge
    sw3km3n0539f.jpg

This just isn't true.

It may be good once implemented, but the implementation is the sticky part - the thing has to use specific neural nets to each graphics setting, and that adds a whole lot of extra work on top of implementing DX12/VK, whereas RIS is plug and play with anything DX12 or VK (or DX9), gives about the same results, sometimes better, sometimes worse, and as those APIs are essential to RT, they will proliferate quite quickly when RT capability becomes more common.

Jeep-Eep on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019

I had a few updates earlier in the week that finished download but still hadn't 'completed' install even though I it was sitting with 0 Mbps (or w/e) for disk activity.

I let them sit for a while and they finished themselves.

The NMS quirk is odd. I wonder if this has to do with RAM caching or disk caching? Like maybe NMS uses more cache, so it forces a clear that knocks out the roadblock.

yeah i tested some more, cleared any updates on steam, turned off every broadcast, capture, overlay options, tried with almost all possible background programs off, ran Witcher 3 from GoG, Wolfenstein 2 from Gamepass, Titanfall 2 from Origin, Anno 1800 from Uplay, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw from EGS... All worked fine

ONLY steam games have that clockwork freeze.

EDIT
    AAHSASHASHAS I FIXED IT
    It was steam going nuts because the 8bitdo usb controller adapter was plugged in but no controller was on.
    That's why it didn't happen with NMS, because I always turn on the controller before running it :D

Now that was a weird problem.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I was going to double up on the RAM in my pc, but after trying to do so last night and experimenting a bit with various sticks and configurations it looks like I have 1 dead slot. This isn't the end of the world since I didn't really need the extra ram, more just liked the idea of having it, but should I be concerned about that at all when it comes to my motherboard? Or is this more of an "oh well, c'est la vie" kind of thing?

It's an ASUS Z170-K that's about 3 years old now.

Ketar wrote: »
    I was going to double up on the RAM in my pc, but after trying to do so last night and experimenting a bit with various sticks and configurations it looks like I have 1 dead slot. This isn't the end of the world since I didn't really need the extra ram, more just liked the idea of having it, but should I be concerned about that at all when it comes to my motherboard? Or is this more of an "oh well, c'est la vie" kind of thing?

It's not really indicative of anything and unless you wanted to try and RMA and maybe be without a mobo for a while I'd just let it ride.

edited September 2019
    Well holy shit

The Meshify C (non-TG) I ordered on sale back in July just shipped! I never thought that would ever happen.

And of course, I'm working shift work this weekend and next weekend. :(

Mugsley on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 5700 Xt came back in stock for oh, 5 minutes on Amazon. Drat.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

It's not really indicative of anything and unless you wanted to try and RMA and maybe be without a mobo for a while I'd just let it ride.

Yeah, I'll just let it ride then. Thanks!

• Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Anyone else notice AMD seems to have changed the release date for 19.9.1? It originally came out the 4th or so, now saying the 10th. Did they actually change something?

I didn't notice that, but 19.9.2 was released yesterday.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Is now a good time to build a new PC, or is there a new generation of stuff coming out that I should wait for?

Like, Ray Tracing seems to be the Next Big Thing, but from what I understand there aren't any games that really make it worthwhile to get, and even if you get a card that supports it, your framerate will take such a massive hit that it's not worth it...

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Control is apparently the first to really make the case for Ray Tracing, but it sounds like unless you're spending 2080ti money it's still a significant frame hit so you have to bear that in mind.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Is now a good time to build a new PC, or is there a new generation of stuff coming out that I should wait for?

Like, Ray Tracing seems to be the Next Big Thing, but from what I understand there aren't any games that really make it worthwhile to get, and even if you get a card that supports it, your framerate will take such a massive hit that it's not worth it...

If you have a GPU that is Nvidia 9-series era or newer (so I guess...4xx series AMD or newer?), it's probably worth waiting at least one more generation, so that RTX gains a bit more traction and what few bugs there are get worked out.

On the CPU side, it's arguably one of the best times to build because prices are reasonable (including RAM) for high performing parts. The next couple of generations on the CPU/RAM side I don't think will have any major generational moves (except possibly DDR5, but many of us here think that's over a year away).

edited September 2019

If you have a GPU that is Nvidia 9-series era or newer (so I guess...4xx series AMD or newer?), it's probably worth waiting at least one more generation, so that RTX gains a bit more traction and what few bugs there are get worked out.

On the CPU side, it's arguably one of the best times to build because prices are reasonable (including RAM) for high performing parts. The next couple of generations on the CPU/RAM side I don't think will have any major generational moves (except possibly DDR5, but many of us here think that's over a year away).

300 series or high model 200 or newer would be the cutoff, I'd say, AMD cards age pretty well as a result of them all being GCN.

Jeep-Eep on
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    day 3 of this stupid RGB bullshit being on cause I haven't had to reboot my comptuer for any reason.

this is my life now I guess

Im pretty with you on the RGB thing, but I grabbed a mechanical keyboard with RGB backlighting on Prime Day thinking Id set it to white and enjoy having a keyboard with a backlight.

It defaults to unicorn vomit and I think I love it. Ive changed the colors a few times but I keep coming back to the rainbow...

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    emp123 wrote: »
    day 3 of this stupid RGB bullshit being on cause I haven't had to reboot my comptuer for any reason.

Im pretty with you on the RGB thing, but I grabbed a mechanical keyboard with RGB backlighting on Prime Day thinking Id set it to white and enjoy having a keyboard with a backlight.

It defaults to unicorn vomit and I think I love it. Ive changed the colors a few times but I keep coming back to the rainbow...

windows update forced me to restart my computer so thankfully rgp is dead! My keyboard though I have set where every key i press pulses red for a second and it's kinda neat.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular

windows update forced me to restart my computer so thankfully rgp is dead! My keyboard though I have set where every key i press pulses red for a second and it's kinda neat.

Ok, that's kinda awesome.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular

Gateway RGB.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »

Gateway RGB.

"Just a little can't do any harm"

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    More topically, I've been given a small promotion, and as the salary increase isn't enough to buy a house, I've been thinking abut a video card instead.

Currently I have a 1060GTX 6Gb, which is by no means a bad card. My normal instinct would be to screw every last day of use out of it until it's relegated to "I guess this would be good enough to animate the HTML 9 logos on my mum's PC's desktop" status or something but: I run Linux now, and the strong consensus is that AMD cards simply have better driver support and integration. So I've been pondering a 5700XT.

So my question is: Get 5700 series or wait for the (presumably) 5800 next year? Is the performance delta over a 1060GTX big enough to justify the expense and effort of upgrading now or would it be foolishness not to wait for the next iteration of Navi?

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    lol! I've had this keyboard for at least 4 years and it hasn't changed my opinion on rgp at large! :tell_me_more:

It's the old original model Corsair k70, no RGB, just red, and no fancy software to go along with it, it's all just built indo the keyboard
    CH-9000069-NA-K70_01.png

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I like RGB with keyboards, I am pretty meh on it inside the actual PC components. Keyboard is really nice to have though.

This discussion has been closed.