As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Huge Space Above Posts on Mobile

MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNARochester, MNRegistered User regular
has anyone noticed huge empty spaces above post text like the poster held the space bar for five minutes before writing their text?

I've seen it now on multiple occasions.

On mobile Google Pixel 3 XL

I am in the business of saving lives.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm getting some weirdness on my pixel XL 2

z37e0vxyv7rh.png

A bunch of white space between the username and avatar. It's usually just one post though.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Related but not same issue (it's not letting me make a new thread for some reason), i just patched to latest Chrome browser on Android, and every thread i go into the first part that loads (could be halfway down the page if i had previously been in the thread) loads with a giant empty vertical space before the content of the post begins.

Edit: in the meantime someone posted the exact screenshot of what I'm talking about.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Related but not same issue (it's not letting me make a new thread for some reason), i just patched to latest Chrome browser on Android, and every thread i go into the first part that loads (could be halfway down the page if i had previously been in the thread) loads with a giant empty vertical space before the content of the post begins.

Edit: in the meantime someone posted the exact screenshot of what I'm talking about.

Yeah, same. Just like that screenshot but only just got it with this morning's Chrome for Android update. Version 77.0.3865.73.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm getting some weirdness on my pixel XL 2

z37e0vxyv7rh.png

A bunch of white space between the username and avatar. It's usually just one post though.

Got this too, on chroma via a Galaxy S9

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Also have had this going on since this morning, in Chrome on a fully updated Pixel 2

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Same problem here too.

Chrome. S7edge.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    For further diagnostic information, this seems to happen with the first of the newest posts on the client's end, for example, if there were 4 new posts since you last saw a thread, the first of the four posts will be messed up. Though sometimes it's another post that's messed up.

Edit: In this particular thread, it seems the last one is messed up. This includes my post.

Edit 2: this has survived me editing the post. It looks okay at first, but then the avatar and body get separated from the username and timestamps late in the page load timeline.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    are you browsing using chrome, by any chance? people are reporting this in chrome since its last update in another thread, and I'm not seeing it in android firefox.
    e: in this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/224073/page-loading-broken-on-mobile

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    are you browsing using chrome, by any chance? people are reporting this in chrome since its last update in another thread, and I'm not seeing it in android firefox.
    e: in this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/224073/page-loading-broken-on-mobile

I am using Chrome on my Pixel 2 XL and am getting it. The length is different depending on the thread but it's always the first new post or last post if there isn't any new posts.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

Oh I see, yes it's Chrome. I thought that thread was for the broken hyperlinks and appearance.

I'm sorry this can be locked since it's already known.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    This has just started happening for me too :(
    No obvious whitespace characters in the source html, so it must be in the rendering and/or element styles I guess.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Definitely some sort of layout interaction between the id=latest div and the normal post content. It only seems to affect the single post that gets that latest div inserted.

Except if latest is the first post on a page. So first post on a new page, or if you look at a (broken) latest post in the middle of page X, go back to the forum index, and return to the same thread at the top of page X+1, the bug does not appear.

However, it also seems like the blank space is proportionally longer the more posts are on a page before the latest post. That may be related to why the first post on a new page shows no gap.

Chrome on Android.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Heh, the blank space disappears if I tilt my phone into landscape mode rather than portrait.

.. most of the time

.. changing the layout randomises/reduces the space at least

discrider on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Yup, I've had it be that bad a few times.

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    Heh, the blank space disappears if I tilt my phone into landscape mode rather than portrait.

.. most of the time

.. changing the layout randomises/reduces the space at least

That's a useful trick until this gets fixed. :+1:

• Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Page loading broken on mobile.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Split this stuff out from the old one. Bumping old bug threads that big isnt great for passing things along through support.

I'll have the agents take a look in the morning.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I've been having it happen since the chrome beta update on Android back on August 9th (when Goose posted in that other thread). Even though Chrome has updated since then it's still been happening

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    This just started in the past day or two for me, also on Chrome. It is not, like, making things unusable but its annoying.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Yup, I'm getting it in Chrome too.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Same here just this morning

Chrome on an S7

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I reported a post thinking this bug was some sort of post troll. Kinda glad it's not just me

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Yea this has been happening for me the past few days. Opo3t using Chrome

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Happening here, Pixel 3a XL using Chrome

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Just saw this for the first time today. Pixel 2 using chrome.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Oh hey new chrome update I love what you're doing with all the space above the new post.

I'm seeing this happen on an S7 edge with chrome v77.0.3865.92.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Yeah I also am getting this.

I am on a Motorola Z Play, using Chrome

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Just started happening to me today. Info:
    tdm1ktj8g7bx.png

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I just started getting this.

Chrome
    Android 8.1

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Got this a day or so ago.

Samsung Note5
    Chrome 77.0.3865.92
    Android 7.0

sig.gif
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Didn't have this yesterday, have it today. Had my phone plugged in to charge during the night, guessing Chrome updated. Android 10.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    It appears to have stopped?

:Edit: correction, it is still there for a moment when the page finishes loading, then gets removed. Screws up being aligned on the correct post.
    :Moar edit: it is less consistently happening.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Just started for me today. Chrome, Pixel 3xl

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    Haven't attempted science at it because I only use mobile at work and when at work I am supposed to be working, but it feels like the mystery blank space is tied to the length of the page, because boy oh boy was I getting some massive gaps in the impeachment thread but poking into other threads had reasonable (or even not at all sometimes) gaps.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Chrome Samsung Galaxy S9

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The spaces seem to be getting larger

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    The spaces seem to be getting larger

Wait, I recognize this space. This one belongs to me...

Been getting this too. Pixel XL 2, updated chrome.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I've had this for a couple weeks now as well, Chrome on a Galaxy S9.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I've been having this for a week or more, using Chrome on my Moto X4.