As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Afterparty & Quest for Conquest out today!

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    He was Vaughn, I believe?

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Is there a wider consolidated block list / ignore service for steam, youtube, twitter?
    I feel like we should just be able to input an ever evolving list of toxic harassers in the community into these services block personal communication features.
    Have some sort of business wherein people are paid/employed to curate lists from user submitted accounts of those making death threats on steam or whatever.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Is there a wider consolidated block list / ignore service for steam, youtube, twitter?
    I feel like we should just be able to input an ever evolving list of toxic harassers in the community into these services block personal communication features.
    Have some sort of business wherein people are paid/employed to curate lists from user submitted accounts of those making death threats on steam or whatever.

Monetizing the rot is only going to lead to a perverse incentive to keep finding people to add to these lists, nevermind how people who like to act like the survivors of abuse and harassment are making it all up for attention/profit will point to the business and say "see? SEE?"

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    It feels like there is a lot of labor we are just each individually wasting our time doing.
    It would be nice if there was a way to make things more efficient/ have less redundancy - re time spent blocking harassers.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Yeah uh, people do make lists and share them with others but generally speaking those lists don't get publicly handed out to whoever, for the same reasons people don't generally speak publicly about abusers but privately warn others about them.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    David_T wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I want to play borderlands 3 3because I quite enjoyed 2, but I flat out do not want to hear hardwick's voice.
    Does he voice a player character who you can go the game without hearing if you choose, or is he an NPC who you would have to hear no matter what?

He's not one of the vault hunters, but I have trouble seeing his Tales From The Borderlands character being like an integral part of the story. That said, you will probably hear him for some amount of time if you play the game.

Well shit.
    Maybe someone could make a mod at some point to delete certain voice lines. Until then, back to wow classic.

Update: He's literally the second NPC you meet. So... yeah.

I never played Tales, is he the guy who keeps calling me Bro? Because I got no beef with Hardwick, but I find that character to be annoying in general

I mean, it's Borderlands. "I find the character to be annoying in general" is practically the baseline.

But yes, that's him.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    2070 super update:

it's a good card!

unfortunately, I think my CPU is more of a bottleneck than I anticipated, which is irritating

at least in Vermintide 2 it means I probably can't hit a consistent 60 FPS

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I think being your own filter is the only solution you can have any confidence in. Making a big public list means trusting whoever is curating the list not to be compromised in any way. You're leaving it entirely up to a stranger what should be censured and what's ok, or god forbid it's a publicly editable list and you're dealing with multiple people's biases and vandalism. And if you are trying to verify every decision on the list personally, that's the same as if you were just doing the whole thing yourself. And that kind of blacklist is very prone to corruption, it could easily turn into cudgel to be wielded against people they personally don't like, or if someone that a third person doesn't like isn't on it they might make a separate competing list and now you have to figure out which list you prefer, etc.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    it kinda sounds like the beginning of a Black Mirror episode

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019

twitter has blockchain
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/twitter-block-chain/dkkfampndkdnjffkleokegfnibnnjfah?hl=en
    This browser extension helps users who are likely to be, or currently are being dog-piled. By navigating to a user's followers (or following) page and activating the plugin, you can block all users on that page.

so essentially if you're finding that you got mentioned by like, i*n mil*s ch*ong, and are now getting a lot of shitty randoms who are posting at you, you can block everyone who follows him

Brolo on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I want to play borderlands 3 3because I quite enjoyed 2, but I flat out do not want to hear hardwick's voice.
    Does he voice a player character who you can go the game without hearing if you choose, or is he an NPC who you would have to hear no matter what?

He's not one of the vault hunters, but I have trouble seeing his Tales From The Borderlands character being like an integral part of the story. That said, you will probably hear him for some amount of time if you play the game.

Well shit.
    Maybe someone could make a mod at some point to delete certain voice lines. Until then, back to wow classic.

Yeah, you rescue him very early in the game, in the first zone. Now I haven't seen the entire game yet, but he seems to be confined to just the first 3-4 hours, he doesn't leave Pandora with you when you get on your ship, it seems that he's just around for two or three story quests and a couple optional sidequests. If any of that is any consolation.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Fiiine, for $8 I'll try Underworld Ascendant.

Supposedly the worst of it has been patched.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Ok this quest is pretty fucking cool. No wires are great.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Hmm, Monster Hunter World on sale for $30, which is just cheap enough for me to think "maybe I'll enjoy Monster Hunter this time."

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Just remember that the PC version is 4-6 months behind the console versions when it comes to updates.

Brolo on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    These NG+ options in Crosscode are really good, and often hilarious. Especially from Apollo, who freaked out by default when Lea left the tutorial at level 3. He has a bit of a bigger reaction to her being 66 and doing 3 million damage per hit.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Crosscode is a game I am playing right now! Only a few hours into it but it seems very good.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Crosscode is very good and I just hit the expected anime plot escalation.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Since they've finished majorly patching the game I should give cross code a go again.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I keep waiting for it to get to Switch, especially since it seems like it’s a longer game

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I keep waiting for it to get to Switch, especially since it seems like it’s a longer game

supposedly still coming in 2019, but yeah no updates beyond that

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    Hmm, Monster Hunter World on sale for $30, which is just cheap enough for me to think "maybe I'll enjoy Monster Hunter this time."

You just might! They sat down and thought

"WHAT IF WE DIDN'T MAKE EVERYTHING A GRIND AND MADE THE GAME ACTUALLY FUN TO PLAY"

and that's why you don't need to manufacture pickaxes and do stupid paintball shenanigans and craft whetstones etc.

Combat is still about deliberate movement, but just pick something like Sword and Shield and you'll be plenty mobile.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    MHW is very much the game for people who bounced off of MH before.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Eh it's not actually much less of a grind than it used to be, I barely ever manually harvested materials in older versions, all the way back to Freedom Unite on the PSP. I always mostly just got by on what got produced by the farm. You still gotta grind the hunts to get enough monster materials to make better armor and weapons, that's always been the real grind. I guess completely eliminating the gathering tools taking up inventory space is a good way to streamline the whole experience though, and there's other UX quality of life stuff that makes it stand out from all the previous generations of games where there wasn't a lot of change happening to the UI or UX.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    For most crafting of things it rarely felt like a grind and more, just kill a thing a couple times because you were a little short of whatever horns. The only thing that was super grindy was killing elders over and over for gems.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I had a blast with MHW, it felt like while it was indeed a grind to get some specific late-game things, it was mostly straightforward if you wanted to just progress to the end. Plus it just feels very neat to play, I never got to the point where I wished I could skip over what I was doing, which is why it didn't feel super grindy.

I'm also realizing that in games like this I can peace out of the late-game content that's designed to keep people playing games for like 2 years while the devs make new content.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I think there's a lot of subtle aspects to MHW's presentation that make it feel more approachable to people even though very little has actually changed

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    MHW is very much the game for people who bounced off of MH before.

Monster Hunter World made me realize I am not into the MW formula. Since it took me dozens of hours of fun fights, charming moments, and exploration of a gorgeous environment to realize this, I have zero regrets about buying it and have an open mind about future MW games.

For the record, I want more story and less repetition. That’s probably not something MW as a franchise will ever give me.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I really wouldn't bother with Greedfall. The mission design is terrible and it's not one off. Example: Get mission. Go to area that is usually nowhere near. Speak to someone. Return to original mission giver. Go back to place you just came from. Speak to person again. Return to mission giver. Go WITH mission giver to place you were just at. Confront someone. Return to mission giver for reward.

It's the same thing over and over and since you don't actually have any real degree of agency for the most part I don't really know what your purpose is in the outcome short of just wasting time going here, there and everywhere. There's some interesting parts to the plot but it's not worth the very, very slow slog walking from a to b to c to d to e to f to g back to a to b to c to d over and over.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I really wouldn't bother with Greedfall. The mission design is terrible and it's not one off. Example: Get mission. Go to area that is usually nowhere near. Speak to someone. Return to original mission giver. Go back to place you just came from. Speak to person again. Return to mission giver. Go WITH mission giver to place you were just at. Confront someone. Return to mission giver for reward.

It's the same thing over and over and since you don't actually have any real degree of agency for the most part I don't really know what your purpose is in the outcome short of just wasting time going here, there and everywhere. There's some interesting parts to the plot but it's not worth the very, very slow slog walking from a to b to c to d to e to f to g back to a to b to c to d over and over.

I’m a little more forgiving since this isn’t my first go-around with Spiders. For them, it is the culmination of their mission to make a classic Bioware game, with all its worts.

The weird thing is that the opening act introduced a neat mechanic - a choice to immediately fast travel back to the quest giver - and the rest of the game mostly forgets to use it.

It is also highlighting why “neutral blank slate protagonist” may just be an all-around poor choice when dealing with heavy themes. The game is heavy-handed and earnest, but the quest writing jumps all over the place in terms of message.

It’s a perennial problem in Spiders’ games. Expecting a great game from them feels like expecting the hare to beat the tortoise.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It will be a great game 99 times out of 100, barring a narratively convenient and zoologically unlikely fluke?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Discord has games? I use it every day and I didn't even know. I open it, and go to my chat room.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular

I’m a little more forgiving since this isn’t my first go-around with Spiders. For them, it is the culmination of their mission to make a classic Bioware game, with all its worts.

The weird thing is that the opening act introduced a neat mechanic - a choice to immediately fast travel back to the quest giver - and the rest of the game mostly forgets to use it.

It is also highlighting why “neutral blank slate protagonist” may just be an all-around poor choice when dealing with heavy themes. The game is heavy-handed and earnest, but the quest writing jumps all over the place in terms of message.

It’s a perennial problem in Spiders’ games. Expecting a great game from them feels like expecting the hare to beat the tortoise.

The weird dumb things that Greedfall does or doesn't do, mechanically, just give me a sense of nostalgic charm

it reminds me of Dragon Age 2 and the Gothic and Risen games of my youth

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

The weird dumb things that Greedfall does or doesn't do, mechanically, just give me a sense of nostalgic charm

it reminds me of Dragon Age 2 and the Gothic and Risen games of my youth

I felt like I had significiantly more agency in Gothic though. Gothic II as well. You can kill pretty much anyone, dress up as them, join factions, go where you want. I loved those games and III and Risen were big disappointments for me. This feels way too long for something where I'm not really carving my own path. Like I can lose and gain reputation just by completing main missions without any dialogue choices in them. The only odd choice is Kill or Spare. It's way, way too big and there's way, way too much walking about back and forth to speak to the same people to progress a single mission for the type of game it is. If it had been more LIKE Dragon Age 2, with much of the content set in a single city, it probably would work a little better.

I'm trying to rush through it because I want to know the ending, but even just trying to blitz it is taking forever and it's purely because I'm having to keep traversing through maze-like locations to speak two lines of dialogue to someone without any decision making on my part.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    (Tweet about Discord storegame store closing)

Razer had a PC digital game store that had some AAA games on it and decent deals and it failed miserably.

Also, the store and CEO you love to hate in one tweet:

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/HWAu7CQK6Wg
    This is the DLC content i need for Warhammer Total War!

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Things I have learned from played Monster Hunter World for 2 hours:

1) The charge blade is stupid fun. Bloodborne ass sword/axe combo that shoots lightning? Hell yeah, that's awesome!

2) I am very, very bad at Monster Hunting. I'm sure I'll get better with time, but the initial controls feel just weird enough compared to what I'm used to that I keep doing shit like accidentally sheathing my weapon in the middle of fights.

3) This game is very fun and I can easily see how it sucks people in.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/HWAu7CQK6Wg
    This is the DLC content i need for Warhammer Total War!

He has made a career out of being loud and is loving it. I wish I still played TW2, I loved it a lot but I played it to deathhh long ago. Glad to see it's still getting really cool factions though, the other new ones they added that let you play empire as horde colonizers and lizardmen as roving bands in the vortex campaign looked great, I just had to remind myself that even with new toys I've still basically already played that.

This discussion has been closed.